As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Mighty Grill

SentrySentry Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just bought a grill, and it has changed my life. It's simply awesome. But, I need to start doing some more creative things with it. So, if you all could help...

I'm having a bar-b-q tonight... I want to make some burgers and brats. Anyone have any good burger recipies that don't require me to marinate overnight or pick an herb by the light of the full moon?

If so, post them here and have my graditude.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wrote:
When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
Sentry on

• Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A simple burger mix is to just add a little salt and some Worcestershire sauce to the ground meat. Just mix it lightly in a bowl for a a moment or two. Not too much, I'd say a teaspoon per pound would be enough.

Be adventurous with burgers, though. It's something you can't really screw up too much.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like burgers that are:

Rubbed with salt, pepper, and a whisper of tabasco before grilling.
    During grilling, I pour killian's red beer over both sides of the burger just before they're done (medium-well).

Serve with cold, crisp lettuce, tomato, onion, & other condiments to taste.

Note:

Do not pour the beer over the burgers whilst they're ON the grill.
    You'll get your eyebrows singed and risk bodily harm.

Instead, spatula them up, hold over the ground behind you, and pour - then replace on grill.
    This way, it will only hiss and spit a small amount.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I make burgers like this: One or two eggs beat up, crackers or potato chips crushed up real good, your ground beef, freshly chopped(better) or dried parsley, ground pepper, lil salt, garlic powder, chopped green and/or white onions, maybe some sort of hot/worchester/meat/etc sauce, and whatever other spices you wanna throw in there. I make mine fat ass hell though. Like a good 1.5-2 inches thick. It's like a hockey puck of delcious meatness. Burn the outside a lil bit and get the inside nicely pink to grey. Throw some cheese on there if that's your thing. Get a fatass loaf of french bread, rip the guts out, and use the crust as your bun. You'll never wanna eat just a plain meat burger again. oh man, I'm so hungry now.

b0bd0d on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    drhazard wrote: »
    A simple burger mix is to just add a little salt and some Worcestershire sauce to the ground meat. Just mix it lightly in a bowl for a a moment or two. Not too much, I'd say a teaspoon per pound would be enough.

Be adventurous with burgers, though. It's something you can't really screw up too much.

Yes! And then no.

A good burger is a simple burger. Burger patty should be salt, pepper (and a little worsty if you feel it). make patties (add the worsty sause now), season the patties with the salt and pepper, then let them rest about 5 minutes until they get to room temp. Cook, flipping once, and for gods sake don't push down on them.

If you want to go crazy with fancy toppings fine but the burger should be deliciously meaty. Not ranch flavored or with pizza spice or whatever. Also get the butcher to grind your meat fresh for extra goodness. Cheating by doing 2/3 beef and 1/3 pork or veal for the patties is also acceptable.

creative things - kabobs always impress and are retarded easy to make.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Eh, I'm not going to dissuade someone from doing anything weird with their burger as long as they know what they want to do--and for me, I'd just want to bring out the natural flavor of the meat and compliment it.

(In fact, you saying pizza spice makes me think mixing some ketchup or tomato sauce in there with a little bit of oregano would make an interesting burger. Must note for later!)

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is awesome. Anyone care to expand to other items? Steaks or chicken, maybe?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For something to go with the burgers, I'd reccomend grilled corn on the cob (so delicious)

Get all the chornshucks off and put butter and pepper or whatever you like on corn on just the raw corn. Wrap in foil, and put on grill for 7/10 min, about as long as the burgers. No holes or anything, just turn every few miniutes.

I make these for whatever cookout my family does, and it tastes sooo much better then just plain boiled corn.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    This is awesome. Anyone care to expand to other items? Steaks or chicken, maybe?

Chicken's going to need a marinade, to be honest. And steaks are better served with either a light rub, or nothing at all. I prefer just taking a very small amount of olive oil and rubbing it over my steaks before I put them over the grill. Rarely do I like salt on my steaks.

Also, very important: resist the urge to press down on your burgers! Yes, it's really cool to flare up the fire with the fat that drips out the bottom, but you're also losing some flavor in the process.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A good chicken kabob recipie I use is

Skewer chicken, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, whatever else you like on wooden skewers. Marinade them in lots of italian dressing, a good amount of soy (to make it a bit salty) and some worchester sauce for good measure. Chuck 'em on the grill, Slather your remnants all over them as they cook. Add some pepper, take them off and gorge yourself on your feast.

My burgers I keep simple, diced onions, salt, pepper, and some worsty sauce mixed in. Like others have said, NEVER press a burger!

Also, grilled zuchinni/squash is amazing. Slice one up however you want, add some salt and pepper and grill them lightly.

There is also beer butt chicken, my memory on this one is a little fuzzy but basically you drink half a beer, cram it up a whole chicken (that's been cooked, I think), then set it vertically on the grill so the beer smokes up and smokes your chicken.

You can also start injecting things into your meats, chicken+Dr. Pepper=win.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you're cooking burgers, the first thing to do is start off with the right kind of meat. Ground chuck is the way to go, as it's the perfect mix of meat and fat. I was using ground round for a while, but went back to chuck a year ago and am really happy with the choice. Don't waste time with extra lean or a ground filet, as they just don't make good burgers.

When I cook my burgers, they are either poor man's (just meat, salt and pepper) or garbage man's (chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, Worsch, crushed red pepper). Cooking bacon along side is a nice addition.

As someone else said, do NOT mash the burgers down. They will puff up during cooking and you should just adjust your patties as needed. Also, try to have the meat at room temperature before cooking it (it cooks more evenly) and don't do the burger->mouth immediately. Give the burgers a few minutes after coming off the grill to rest.

When it comes to corn on the cob, what I do is make sure to get the corn while still in the husks. Since I'm in Indiana, corn is silly cheap (like 5-10 ears for a dollar, depending on the part of the summer). Keep them in the husks and soak them in water (haven't tried salt water yet, but I will this summer). After an hour or so, put them on the grill. The husk will keep the interior really moist, but it will end up drying out itself. Cook it for around 15 minutes, turning it every few minutes. Good times.

This should go without saying, but apply a little vegatable oil to the grill before you start cooking. It helps make grill marks as well as helps to prevent the food from sticking.

(And you're grilling or having a cookout. Barbecuing is slow cooking of meat over low heat for long periods of time.)

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For burgers, I mix together an egg, pack of onion soup mix, some worchestire sauce, a bit of bbq sauce, hot sauce, and ground pepper. Add the meat and you are good to go.

For chicken, a five minute marinade I make contains: lemon juice, olive oil, hot sauce, bbq sauce, ground pepper, onion powder, and a bit of garlic salt.

I made some kick ass pork tenderloin this week with a similar list: olive oil, lemon juice, bbq sauce, pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, thyme.

Suckafish on
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Guacomole burgers!! Guacomole is easy to make with a few avocados, tomatoes, onions, salt, pepper. Some like to add a bit of lime to it.

Use it as a spread.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    God, I cannot wait to get access to a grill this summer. I am starving just reading this thread. Fuck you dorm.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am now officially stoked for my bbq on sunday.
    I'm starving as well... you're bastards.

How do you guys go about cooking ribs?
    here's what I do:
    First, get the meatiest looking ribs you can find. You need a bit of fat in them, so make sure you get a good look. Don't have the backs peeled off, you can do that yourself later.

Second, get a disposable/old pan and fill it about 1/2-3/4 full with the following: Red Wine (about 1-1 1/2 cups should do), Water, olive oil, Worchester Sauce, Tobasco Sauce, Garlic Powder, onion Powder, pepper. Then, take out your lower rack, and place the pan so that it's even, and so that you can fit the rack back in. Light the BBQ. Set it to about low-mid to Med. and let the mixture heat up. Give a stir.

Third, Grab the ribs, cut them into half/third racks and shake a bit of the following over top: Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder.

Fourth, Place the ribs (backs down lads) over the pan of steaming liquid. Reduce the heat slightly and cover. Check back every 5-10 min for flareups, and turn after about 20-30, depending on how hungry you're getting.

Fifth, Get some tongs and oven mitts. Place the ribs on the upper rack. Drop heat and haul out the lower rack and the pan, and then replace the rack. Do this as fast as you can (without burning yourself) to reduce heat loss. Bring temp up to almost high and place the ribs (backs down again) on the lower rack.

Sixth, Smear your favorite (or homemade) BBQ sauce across the top of the ribs. Close the lid and watch it for 10 min (again watching for those flare ups). After that, turn the ribs, and sauce up the bone side of things and grill until they're cooked.

Seventh, Enjoy. They should be tasty, moist, and easy to eat if things go well.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    K. For the grill, I recommed the following:

Propane sucks. Use the wood like a man should.

And then, grab a couple of the biggest ass onions you can find. Slice a couple of half inch rings out of the center of those bad boys. Then, put that little bed of onion on the grill and put your patty on top.

It's win/win, the onion begins to carmalize while the patty cooks. Sweet bejezzus flavors soak out of the onion and into the patty while the protected underside keeps in the natural juices connected to the meat while it cooks. remove the patty, toss it flipside into the upper grill, and flip the onion bed. Place the patty back onto the onion and wait for the cookin' to be all done. Are you using Lawry's? No? Fuck that. Ditch that "Imacoolsteakspicethatknowssixexoticlanguages" bullshit and get you some Lawry's Fuckin' Seasoning Salt. Use liberally. When everything hits the right color on the inside, transfer the meat and onion to your bun. If mebbe you wanna neck later, ditch the onion, or get some to both parties, y'know?

Right on. Condiment to choice, but hey, ketchup? What are you doing? There's fresh tomato right there, and the vinegar in the mustard should catch all your ill's. The sweetness of the carmalized onion should hit the sugar sweetspot without being all obvious about it. Mmm, Cheese. Get you some cheese. Now I know that that Velveeta or processed slice crap you got is only gas put through a factory, but damn boi, that melts just right. You can bend your pinky and hit up the swiss if you want, but add a dash of BBQ sauce to compliment the dry age'd taste of your fine legit-o-mite cheese.

Ya. That's some damn good burger. Thank y'all for comin' out. Damn nice day for it. :)

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    *way to make some kickass ribs*

Oh, I am soo doing that my next time out. I'm hungry already.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The burger advice here is awesome, I go back and forth as to additives to my cow. Sometimes I really enjoy the addition of egg (and instead of bread crumbs use RITZ crackers), other times I really like the simple taste of the meat. No matter what I always use A1, or a similar blend, it adds alot to meat. Worstershire is very nice too.

The next piece of advice really should be stickied. It reallly is that monumental.

Brine.

It involves osmosis. Basically you soak your meat in a salt water solution. It saturates the meat with a bit of salt, flavor (your choice) and most importantly moisture. Do it to anything but beef, for some reason beef doesn't respond well.

The best wings I have ever had were brined first, same for ribs, pork, chicken, etc.

The only downside is time, most pieces of meat need to be brined for at least 4 hours. I had a pork shoulder that I slowcooked that needed to be brined for 12 hours, google some receipies, but let me tell you, that was the best damned pulled pork I ever had.

As a general rule:

1 tablespoon of KOSHER salt
    1 tablespoon of sugar (use brown if it is appropriate)
    1 teaspoon of whole peppercorns (ground can also be used, just not as much) again, only where appropriate
    Other seasonings in moderation

This is for each cup of water used, you need enough water to cover the meat in question. Use hot water to dissolve everything, do not use hot water on the meat. Let it cool or throw some ice in there.

Soak for a few hours at least, not too long. Guidelines can be googled.

The meat you get out of this will never dry out, try it out at Thanksgiving, best turkey you will ever have. When you cook a brined meat, juice will ooze out everywhere, but your meat will still be amazing. Little things can be added to the brine for great effect, lemon slices, fresh herbs, anything you want. The flavor will soak right up into the meat.

I realize this is a bit unorthodox, I recently converted my family to brining. They all now do it for any dish they have the time for.

If anyone has any questions, ask them in this thread or PM me. I have brined just about every meat out there and can help.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dammit, now I want a grill.

But I have nowhere to cook with it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When we make steaks, we usually make a marinade with butter and ground black pepper: delicious. As for brats, I recommend buying some cheap-ass beer, and cooking the brats in the beer on your stove on low heat for an hour first. THEN put them on the grill. Oh, the delicious tailgating memories ...

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh crushed garlic, and rosemary. Put as much steak as you want, cut into roughly cubish pieces, in a large ziploc bag. Add onions and green peppers (red peppers if you don't like the green, you pansy). Pour in the above marinade. Let sit for ~2 hours in the fridge.

Take it out, put it on wood skewers, and grill.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Its all about drunken bbq sauce bronto ribs.

Get you self some giant racks of ribs (of the beef kind). Add friends and a very light steady flow of booze.

Sear out side quickly, then turn on to lowest heat possible.

Have your bbq sauce prepared (get creative! make it from scratch) and baste those babies every 30 minutes till the sun goes down. Eat.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    ripefruitripefruit Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ripefruit on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thought i'd bump this, as I now have a george foreman, and a hankering for burgers. Anyone else got burger recepies hanging about? Or chicken, or basically anything I can throw on this george foreman.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    And what's an egg do for a burger anyways?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    dont do what you've seen other people do and squish down on the patties with the spatula. you want the juices to remain inside as thats what cooks it and gives it its flavour

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »

it's an edible glue (keeps them together)

wanna get creative? Cut some provalone cheese steaks and grill yourself up some cheese on the barby. It's great

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Helps everything stick together.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is it even possible to make burgers from scratch on a George Foreman? I've only made pre-made patties with them, and they're not very good.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    Is it even possible to make burgers from scratch on a George Foreman? I've only made pre-made patties with them, and they're not very good.

We are about to find out. I made 2 different patties, one with some worstechireregd and one with some burger stuff that looked pretty good.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    And both are delicious. Yes, you can indeed make good burgers on a george foreman. I wish they were a bit jucier, but that might be a tradeoff of having all that grease drip out.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I made ground chicken burgers mixed with some grated parmesan cheese and horseradish and black pepper on our Foreman grill. And they were delicious.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I believe the egg is to keep everything sticking together.

An easy way to spice up plain burgers is to mix some grated cheese and salsa in with the meat and other ingredients. Very tasty.

supertall on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    How I make a burger:
    Regular ground beef is good, because the fat drips off anyhow. Lean is fine. Extra lean will be too dry.

Put the beef into a mixing bowl. Crack 1 egg in. Add soya sauce, not the kind meant for sushi or sashimi (kikkoman) but the cheapo non-brewed kind that you get when you buy like a supermarket brand. Cheap stuff is fine, it's mostly being used for the salt in it but also for the flavour. Just shake it in, a light coat of the bowl is fine and slightly overdoing it won't kill anyone.

Take about three or four leeks aka green onions and dice them up. Then dice the pieces you made. Then dice those. Ad nauseum. Get them really fine, almost to a paste. Add these to the bowl.

Essential spices:
    Ground Cumin, and lots of it
    Garlic - Best crushed and minced, but powder is survivable. The pre-crushed stuff from a jar needs to be fried lightly and then diced to be much smaller before it's used.
    Cayenne - no, seriously. Something spicy, anyhow. Totally seals the deal.

And then a little squirt of lemon extract. It tenderizes the meat and I think it brings out some of the flavours nicely.

Now you can either mix it all up with your hands, or...
    You can add filler.

Now most folks use bread crumbs, right? That's shit. Fuck that. Use instant oatmeal. You want about 1/5 or 1/6 of the total volume of the meat in instant oatmeal in there.

Now mix that shit up one way or the other, and form it into patties. If you're using regular ground beef, make the patties really wide and somewhat thin. They'll shrink as the fat burns off/contracts through cooking. This is less of an issue with lean ground beef.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    And both are delicious. Yes, you can indeed make good burgers on a george foreman. I wish they were a bit jucier, but that might be a tradeoff of having all that grease drip out.

I've made burgers on a foreman grill a tonne of times. It's totally good. Try putting the burgers closer to the top of the grill, and also if you're not adding an egg or some soya sauce, try those.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    leeks aka green onions

Leeks and green onions are not the same plant, though they are related. I assume you mean green onions (scallions), since leeks are a bit large to chop into burgers?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    okay then yes green onions

I thought they were one and the same, my bad

Pheezer on