As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old Wrestling thread is old. Go find the new one. [Wrestling]

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That luchadore mask is awesome, in my opinion. Is the wrestler as good as the mask?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Didn't TNA sign one of the jersey shore ladies again? I don't think they are going to change their knockouts division.

Also way to job your world champ to a returning wrestler!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    That luchadore mask is awesome, in my opinion. Is the wrestler as good as the mask?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQA79g8rZA

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Be the first to see the video packages @TNAwrestling will rip off next month. #ReasonsToWatchSmackdown

WWE Creative twitter is the best.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Would someone kindly explain what EWR is? I'm assuming it's some kind of massive wrestling sim that you act as booker for, but I'd love to know why it seems to have such die-hard fans.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Would someone kindly explain what EWR is? I'm assuming it's some kind of massive wrestling sim that you act as booker for, but I'd love to know why it seems to have such die-hard fans.
    Arguably the most popular game of the series, Extreme Warfare Revenge (EWR) was released on June 15, 2002. Now programmed in Visual Basic, the series now took a Windows style interface. One of the most significant changes this game took to the series was the fact that everything on a wrestling event is under the control of the user. In previous games in the series, angles, finishes and (in EWD) interviews were randomly created. This also coincided with the new feud system that was to count the matches, angles and interview victories between the workers involved. The match reports also took a slight change, featuring reviews of the matches from such Internet columnists as useless moron Scott Keith instead of a straight play-by-play style. However, the report style would revert back to its old style in TEW 2004.

Another major feature that changed the way the game was played was the way the game world was represented. Unlike the previous games in which it was mostly focused on the major promotions such as the WWF and WCW, the promotion size feature meant many promotions in North America could now be included from the global sized promotions like WWE to the cult sized promotions like ROH to a mere backyard federation.

From June 2002 to July 2003, the game has had some significant upgrades and new versions of the game were released. Some of these changes included changes to the TV timeslot system where the more further away from a primetime slot a televised event is shown, the fewer segments the user gets to book with. The Internet feature was also increased to include a website based on the independent promotions, a website based on backstage gossip and a website for your promotion. Relationships between workers were added to help bring in backstage politics where people are more willing put over their friends and less with their enemies. Eventually workers could also be in multiple tag teams with a statistic for experience which increases with each match fought together. Gimmicks were then added for wrestlers to use which would affect the overness of a worker over how strong that gimmick was. More changes were made to adapt to the independent promotions. This included multiple open contracts for workers, enabling them to work in up to three promotions and the ability of workers to go on Japanese tours, affecting the booking of cards. The optional ability of viewing a wrestler's picture was also added later in the game's production.

It should also be noted that you could edit everything in the database (workers, promotions, relationships, TV stations, sponsors, belts etc. etc.) to your liking allowing for easy modding if you wanted to, say, book the Invasion or run mid-90s ECW or even...

gfs_62859_2_1_mid.jpg

gfs_62859_2_4.jpg

edit: OH HAI GUYS! I found some heroin and a quicker link to the game itself.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    One of the later versions TEW 2005(?) has been released for free.

That, along with the Territories Database is crazy awesome.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I actually bought TEW2010 last year. It's fun, but like all EWR/TEW games, slow and draining after a year of game time.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's why you always run multiple saves including one scummy backyard/small indie fed where every match ends in somebody taking a sick bump.

Also, I spent two hours on a CHIKARA scenario only to find out when the first monthly event rolled around that The Osirian Portal was booked to tour Japan for a year. Fuck. Does this kind of thing happen in TEW?

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Mistico is pretty slick. He's been improved by his time in NJPW as well, granted there are probably better lucha workers doing the rounds but none with the same widespread appeal.

In King of Trios news, I'm really not looking forward to seeing Manami Toyota have to help Quackenbush carry Jigsaw through the tournament. A less terrible third member of that team would have been nice.
    On the plus side, Dick fucking Togo!
    I literally only need to see HARASHIMA and Team DDT announced and all my wrestling dreams will be fulfilled.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh shit, them rhymes be smooth!

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2011
    That's why you always run multiple saves including one scummy backyard/small indie fed where every match ends in somebody taking a sick bump.

Also, I spent two hours on a CHIKARA scenario only to find out when the first monthly event rolled around that The Osirian Portal was booked to tour Japan for a year. Fuck. Does this kind of thing happen in TEW?

Yeah, I ran a second TV show for errr... FCW I think in the North East Market, and didn't know you could hold multiple taping on a single night.

Anyway, the night i'm taping? Flair, Backlund, Hogan and Dusty (Pretty much most of my main event talent) are off doing other shit.

Got really pissed off at this point. But, you live and you learn.

However, I'm making money hand over fist so it's all okay. I guess I'm one of those people that wish the game was a bit quicker and you grew the company. I mean, three months of selling out shows with A* matches don't get me any growth? :(

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really don't get the current heel dynamic in WWE, particularly in terms of commentary.

I don't know if it's informed by Creative taking news "debate" shows to heart, but I hate that one side tells the "truth" and the other side denies the reality of what they have just witnessed and/or believe that anything including unprovoked assault on a noncompetitor is justified because it's their guy who's doing it. Why are you apparently employing delusional hallucinating fucknugget sociopaths, Vince? Why?

I thought Lawler was bad back when HHH ruled the heel roost, but at least Lawler didn't have HHH's balls completely in his mouth. And it's not just Miz--Cole thinks that every single heel is the motherfucking newest incarnation of Christshnuddha.

It's not good heat. It's not entertaining, it's not funny, and I almost never think "Okay, he's got a point". It's just "shut the fuck up and get off my TV screen now please".

And before someone asks: if the wrestling product weren't reasonably solid with some real high points (Del Rio, Bryan, etc.) I would stop watching.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy shit Vickie has hella heat

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Yeah, I ran a second TV show for errr... FCW I think in the North East Market, and didn't know you could hold multiple taping on a single night.

Anyway, the night i'm taping? Flair, Backlund, Hogan and Dusty (Pretty much most of my main event talent) are off doing other shit.

However, I'm making money hand over fist so it's all okay. I guess I'm one of those people that wish the game was a bit quicker and you grew the company. I mean, three months of selling out shows with A* matches don't get me any growth? :(

What are the difficulty settings and the state of the industry? Seems like every game I start randomly generates the industry as decreasing in popularity at around 60%...

Also, Flair, Backlund, Hogan and Dusty in FCW? I think they might be a bit too old to learn how to better work the WWE style.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy shit Vickie has hella heat

Always great. She's perma-over like Flair and Austin. She'll be a Hall of Famer some day, and it's not just because her husband died.

.. we haven't had both a husband and wife inducted into the HoF yet, have we? That'd be a first.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vickie to be with Del Rio now? That's the impression I got at the end of that snoozefest of a SD.

Maximum on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The EWR thing reminds me, didn't Smackdown vs. Raw once have a General Manager mode or something?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Apparently Team Osaka Pro is returning to this year's Trios. So that's 11 teams now.

Also I would like to note that Player Uno responded to my hiring a medic by immediately breaking his leg and putting himself on the shelf for 16 months.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The EWR thing reminds me, didn't Smackdown vs. Raw once have a General Manager mode or something?

Yes.

and it was glorious. GLORIOUS. I think that was 2008 or maybe 2007. I kicked so much ass at that mode.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I would like to present to you...The Best Thing The Hardy Boys Have Ever Been Involved In.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHKLwAqCcNg&feature=related

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would like to present to you...The Best Thing The Hardy Boys Have Ever Been Involved In.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHKLwAqCcNg&feature=related

Let me get to the best part for ya!

VaryingDegrees.jpg

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm sorry, but Matt Hardy....

Just no, you big dork. Just plain No.

There is no way that any guy who makes that face is ever going to get laid.

just.

damn.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Just.

DAMN!

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    QuickSnap wrote: »

Just.

DAMN!

21162350qe64sjsu.gif

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    facetious wrote: »
    QuickSnap wrote: »

Just.

DAMN!

21162350qe64sjsu.gif

freeatlast.gif

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What you don't see is that Matt is actually looking at the food service guy wheeling in a fresh batch of Krispy Kremes.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isn't the Booker T theme one of those stock songs? I believe the Hardy's used one too.

Lux on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've heard the Hardyz song repeatedly on commercials for things like local car dealerships and monster truck shows.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited February 2011

What are the difficulty settings and the state of the industry? Seems like every game I start randomly generates the industry as decreasing in popularity at around 60%...

Also, Flair, Backlund, Hogan and Dusty in FCW? I think they might be a bit too old to learn how to better work the WWE style.

Hahaha, Touche.

I meant CWF. ;)

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yes.

and it was glorious. GLORIOUS. I think that was 2008 or maybe 2007. I kicked so much ass at that mode.

Seems like it would be something they'd have kept/brought back.

I mean, think about it: now EVERYONE can be the Anonymous Raw General Manager and have Cole as their stooge. As much as Cole bugs me, who wouldn't love that?

That's practically a game in itself.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone else gonna watch the ROH ppv tonight?

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It looks like an entertaining lineup, I'm thinking about it, not sure right now

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I'm tossing it up.

Basically i'm thinking that: AUD > USD, it's fourteen fifty, Eddie Edwards v. Fallen Angel, I hate Roderick Strong and want to see his face beaten in, I like Colt and Richards, I like Steve Corino, I want to see Briscoes.

In addition, story from the warm-up show is that Homicide put on a great match last night.

So yes, I think I probably will.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gotta save my money for Wrestlemania.

60 bucks and me not having any wrestling friends to share the cost means I'll be eating the whole cost.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DDT, shit is about to get very real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJBZAfrC_-8

Dyvim Tvar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DDT is never not crazy.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    DDT, shit is about to get very real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJBZAfrC_-8

Bob Sapp, in the role of a lifetime!

Bob Sapp is Ric Flair in Wrestling With Bankruptcy: The Ric Flair Story

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh and for all four other people who know what I'm talking about here are some AJPW results and up coming news that you may or not already have seen:
    Kaz Hayashi dumped the AJPW Jr. Heavyweight title in a rematch with Minoru.
    It was a really slick match, quite possibly better than their previous title contest back in '09. Post match Shuji Kondo came out to challenge Minoru for the belt, who promptly accepted and their contest is now slated to take place on March 21st.
    Personally I have a feeling that Hayashi might be moving upwards as opposed to sideways after this result, and it wouldn't astound me to see them try to package him as a Triple Crown threat in the future.

Dyvim Tvar on