Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

MINECRAFT: Important Server News In OP

• DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When you see it..
    Spoiler:

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So Ive got some good news, at least for those folks who wanted a permissions system. Ive gotten a barebones permissions system up and running and am still testing various add-ons that would let the mods do more things then just allowing people to build before I send it off to bill to add to the server. Hopefully I can find a plugin that can give everyone some basic commands like /who, and give mods some power without having to make them all Ops.

Also It shouldnt affect anyone because by the time bill gets it i should have all of you that are whitelisted added as builders. There are still some details to work out but i will keep you updated.

hLeTR.png
  • Goose!Goose! Its a rebranding thing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    When you see it..
    Spoiler:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Goose! wrote: »
    I don't see anything.

Other side of the waterfall.

4icmw.jpg TankHammer | huWRIjA.png Dear Satan | 2zivq6q.jpg
    yUApdW3.jpg
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I don't see anything.

Other side of the waterfall.

What's worse is I'd just fallen down that waterfall, looked back and was like OH SHIT.

Thankfully the guy was stuck but he stared at me.

Stone cold. It was unnerving.

• apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Guys: bill is still working on it. He's trying his best to get us a render but hes encountering problems. For the sake of having a render, we should have patience <3

• sarukunsarukun Gornlord Interplanetary InsanitariumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Updating the Sims 3, trying to remember why I stopped playing it in the first place.

I seem to recall getting frustrated with the character creator and having dudes that I'd made in honor of various friends and relatives die after like 6 hours worth of gameplay.

• CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am so patient right now!

4484-7718-8470
  • SeriouslySeriously ˈpɛrɪ ˌdɒt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    creepers are the best

there is no being coy, they want to get into a relationship with you

a death relationship

iq16sKi.png
  • greygrey Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bill is my admin,
    I shall not want;
    He lettith me build in green pastures.
    He lettith me build on still waters;
    He backs up the map.
    He makes huge renders
    for our sake.

Yea though I walk through the valley
    of sunless unsupported sand,
    I fear no creeper;
    For he is with me;
    His mods and admin, they help me.

Surely diamond and lapis lazuli shall flow
    all the day and night cycles;
    and I shall dwell in the kick ass obsidian death fortress I built,
    forever.

edited February 2011
    sarukun wrote: »
    Updating the Sims 3, trying to remember why I stopped playing it in the first place.

I seem to recall getting frustrated with the character creator and having dudes that I'd made in honor of various friends and relatives die after like 6 hours worth of gameplay.

I get bored with sims. I get to a point where they get married and have a baby them im like MEH and start again.

edit: ohshit have you tried the family man challenge?

do it

do it now

edit: also fun, the klepto king challenge. These two kept me interested in the game for AGES

• AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    grey wrote: »
    Bill is my admin,
    I shall not want;
    He backs up the map.
    He makes huge renders
    for our sake.

I fear no creeper;
    For he is with me;

forever.

Beautiful

Steam | Bukkit Fishing Plugin | 3DS: 2406-5131-9006
    edited February 2011
    grey wrote: »
    Bill is my admin,
    I shall not want;
    He backs up the map.
    He makes huge renders
    for our sake.

I fear no creeper;
    For he is with me;

forever.

when we can write things in bookcases, this is going in the hymn book racks in my church.

• ArtreusArtreus Hamlet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I played the first two Sims a ton. Then I bought sims 3 and only played it once.

I do remember liking it though

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited February 2011
    sarukun wrote: »

I get bored with sims. I get to a point where they get married and have a baby them im like MEH and start again.

edit: ohshit have you tried the family man challenge?

do it

do it now

edit: also fun, the klepto king challenge. These two kept me interested in the game for AGES

The Family Man sounds fun.

His name shall be Glenn Quagmire, and his occupation shall be "pilot".

• hiartbillhiartbill Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Alright so, I haven't posted in awhile, and new things are afloat.

First the status of the server and render operations: there seems to be a corrupt file in the world folder, which was likely causing the lag issues today. I'm working on finding it and removing it, so the render will go through. This may take time, and I may mess up and move the wrong file (I'm just moving them to my personal computer, so I'll move things back if stuff is messed up).

Secondly, as many of you are aware, the server population seems to have outgrown the VPS we've been running it on. I've already upgraded it, but more people keep playing! This leads me to think it's time we consider a dedicated server. There are two options here:

1. I use my old computer (like, a year old, I literally just upgraded to an i5-2500k in January, so my old Phenom II is just sitting around collecting dust). I don't have any doubts it could handle the server better than the VPS, but the issue is it would be sharing bandwidth with my other gaming. It'd be on a 20/2 connection, so that may not be an issue, but only testing would confirm.

2. We actually rent a dedicated server. This is expensive, and it would probably need to be a group effort through donations etc. On the plus side, if we get a good one most issues would disappear entirely, and the population could keep growing.

I'll let people discuss things in the thread or on the server, and I'm sure ultimak/nuka will let me know what the preferred course of action is (HINT HINT).

wouldnt have a fart in a strong winds chance in working for me
    edited February 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    I played the first two Sims a ton. Then I bought sims 3 and only played it once.

I do remember liking it though

I liked the Sims 2 a whole lot.

I was kind of disappointed by 3, it felt to me like they back-tracked.

edited February 2011
    Regarding the server, free is good, but I has moneys if we decide to rent a server.

edited February 2011
    i say option 2. only because we have lots of people, and i dont want to take any chances.

just make sure its east coast pls

• CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm kind of wary on the dedicated rental server, but maybe I'm just afraid it'll be like Space Station 13 and everybody will stop playing right after things get going.

4484-7718-8470
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My buddy runs a 100/10 connection for his minecraft server to share with his other systems. His 15/3 was too slow. He also runs a super beefy system for his 50+ players online server. He takes donations to upgrade it.

Could you price out a rental server? I wouldn't mind chipping in for one. I've gotten so much enjoyment out of minecraft for such a low price as it is. :P

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Campion wrote: »
    I'm kind of wary on the dedicated rental server, but maybe I'm just afraid it'll be like Space Station 13 and everybody will stop playing right after things get going.
    Yeah, these forums tend to be really ADD when it comes to games; I'm inclined to say a dedicated server rental isn't worth it.

If you need some one-time donations to beef up your server, though, bill, you should speak up (after running it by the mods).

edited February 2011
    So it looks like for right now the render wont be happening and the server is coming back up.

hLeTR.png
  • MuhahahahahaMuhahahahaha Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you can price it out and handle the technical details, I'd gladly donate.

edited February 2011
    Anywho, I'm wary of doing more than I have already to get the render working (as I'm not even working with a released version of the render tool yet, just a stable snapshot). So server is back up, and I'll try again when there's a released version.

IMPORTANT: If you see stuff missing, let me know immediately. The sooner I know I moved the wrong file, the faster I can fix things.

Also, because people have asked, right now the VPS we're using is about $80/month. This is mostly because it's a Linode, which is one of the best VPS providers (also one of the most expensive).

edited February 2011
    It will be above $100 a month according to bill. Im willing to carry the cost for a few months if need be, and since the new map started the server population has only gone up. Though im not sure of how long it will last or if we will dip back down like we did last december.

hLeTR.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    were we to move to a dedicated server system, would that eliminate the need to stay in a contained area?

edited February 2011
    The map is already unlimited.

edited February 2011
    were we to move to a dedicated server system, would that eliminate the need to stay in a contained area?

Edit: as bill said its already unlimited. It seems that it more only has to do the people on at one time, and the all the chunks that are loaded by those people rather then the size of the map. You could have a big map with few people on it and the server wouldnt care because its all about the number of chunks those players have loaded, which i didnt think of before now.

hLeTR.png
    edited February 2011
    20 people at $5 a month for a good minecraft server.

we could do that. easily.

but you have to do a direct debit/standing order thingumy i think, to guarantee that much

OR

we could try and raise enough money to pay for it for 6 months in one go or something.

• TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seriously wrote: »
    creepers are the best

there is no being coy, they want to get into a relationship with you

a death relationship

They're just filled to bursting with [strike]un[/strike]dying love

edit: I can chip in a few bucks if we do the rental server thing, but not too much. I'm hurting for cash right now.

6Jx6HOg.png
    BF3/PS2/MWO/Hawken: CabbageOfDiscord | Minecraft: BrotherCabbage
  • AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd be willing to chip in for a dedicated server if it means more stabilty.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    yeah, as awesome as the dedicated server would be, Im not in a place financially where I could contribute. I am a full time student and my wife is without stable employment.

• Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would be able to chip in if we move to a dedicated server.

• webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yea I could chip in as well. Whatever option we end up doing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
  • intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can chip in for any sort of server upgrades/hosting/etc. Say, $10/mo in three-month chunks or something like that.

edited February 2011
    To try to consolidate the donations thing, Im going to ask that anyone who is willing to donate send me a PM just saying that you would be willing to donate. If you would like to say how much thats cool but in no way mandatory. Im just doing this as a way to gauge interest and nothing is final right now.

Edit: to those that have posted in the thread saying you would donate i will get you down.

Also updated the OP with info, and included Nukas texture pack post because its way better then anything i could do.

hLeTR.png
  • Goose!Goose! Its a rebranding thing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What the hell just happened?

I was getting horrible lag once the server started saving, warping from place to place, and taking a minute to open chests.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
This discussion has been closed.