As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Serious Sam 3: BFE - Jewel of the Nile DLC out tomorrow!

IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Games and Technology
zwmQf.jpg

Croteam’s Serious Sam 3: BFE is a glorious throwback to the golden age of first-person shooters where men were men, cover was for amateurs and pulling the trigger made things go boom. Serving as a prequel to the original indie sensation, Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam 3: BFE takes place during the Earth’s final struggle against Mental’s invading legions of beasts and mercenaries. Set against the collapsing temples of an ancient civilization and the crumbling cities of 22nd century Egypt, Serious Sam 3: BFE is an exhilarating fusion of classic twitch shooters and modern gameplay features. - Shamelessly stolen from the RPS interview (see below for full text.)

Get your hype machine in gear, because Serious Sam 3 is finally on the way! So, what does "BFE" stand for? Battle For Earth? Butt Fuck Egypt? Big Fucking Epic? Nobody knows!

Serious Sam 3 Reveal Trailer:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/01/serious-sam-3-bfe-reveal-trailer

Screams of Glory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVc4Ti_9_To

Serious Sam 3 Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Un4uzdc1r0

Roman Ribaric the CEO of Croteam has announced the following on their page:
http://www.croteam.com/
"Just a quick note to let all Serious Sam fans know that Serious Sam 3: BFE is coming this summer 2011."

Some quotes from Devolver Digital who are publishing the game and also developed the HD versions:
http://twitter.com/devolverdigital

"You won't be disappointed! Serious Sam 3 is a throwback to glory!"
"You know what horde/firefight mode is called in Serious Sam 3? It's called Serious Sam 3. Boom!"
"Next week is going to be a big week."

Rock Paper ShotGun Serious Sam 3 Interview
TIME AND PLACE ARE SUBJECTIVE – BOOM! That was the sound of Serious Sam 3: BFE news dropping. Croteam’s Serious Sam 3: BFE is a glorious throwback to the golden age of first-person shooters where men were men, cover was for amateurs and pulling the trigger made things go boom. Serving as a prequel to the original indie sensation, Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam 3: BFE takes place during the Earth’s final struggle against Mental’s invading legions of beasts and mercenaries. Set against the collapsing temples of an ancient civilization and the crumbling cities of 22nd century Egypt, Serious Sam 3: BFE is an exhilarating fusion of classic twitch shooters and modern gameplay features.

“Serious Sam 3 is about pure fun and unfiltered action,” said Davor Hunski, chief creative officer of developer Croteam. “We wanted to expand on everything gamers love about the series while adding some genuinely unique new features to really enhance the mayhem Serious Sam is known for.”

Trademark features such as relentless hordes of spectacular enemies and expansive outdoor battlefields return in Serious Sam 3: BFE at full force. Other features include:

Frantic Arcade-Style Action – The calling card of the Serious Sam series, hold down the trigger and lay waste to a never-ending onslaught of attackers or face being overrun by Mental’s savage beasts. No cover systems, no camping – it’s just you and them. All of them.

Mental’s Fearsome Legions – A new battalion of unforgettable minions including the rumbling Scrapjack and towering Khnum join the legendary Headless Kamikaze, Gnaar and Sirian Werebull. Your days of mowing down zombie Nazi space pirates are over.

Serious Melee Attacks – When an enemy slips by your wall of lead and pain, use one of the all-new innovative melee moves to drop an enemy right where they stand in the most violent way possible.

Pure Multiplayer Mayhem – Play through the full campaign mode with up to 16 players or drop the gauntlet and let the heavy ordinance fly in versus modes like Deathmatch and Beast Hunt. This is the next level of Serious Sam multiplayer and all hell is about to break loose.

“Holy crap, I am going to make a boatload of cash of this game,” said Fork Parker, chief financial officer at Devolver Digital, the Serious Sam 3: BFE publisher. “I mean that’s what this is all about, right? If this thing comes out in the summer my wife is totally getting the tit job she’s been asking for.”

Serious Sam 3 will bring the boom to PC and game consoles this summer.

When asked for further comment, Fork replied, “Bam. Tit job.”

Huge ass screenshots are here!
Prepare yourself for the fucking awesome!

wz8zi.jpg

sam1.jpg

sam2.jpg

sam3.jpg

sam4.jpg

sam5.jpg

* NOTE: The big red beastie shooting rockets has been named "Scrapjack"

Misc Serious Sam Stuff

fusionheader.jpg

The new Fusion DLC is out for Serious Sam: First Encounter HD and Second Encounter HD. It's free and automatically downloads if you own both games on Steam. It basically adds all of the FE content into SE. You now only need to install SE and have everything from FE available:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/5056/

I think some 16 player coop may be in order to test it out for the sake of science!

SSHD Trailer

So, is SS3:BFE going to be better than Serious Sam 2 and fill our hunger for chaos, carnage, and millions of spent shell casings? Discuss!

IdolNinja on

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good times ahead?

All signs point to "Yes"!

Drake on
  • DiamondDiamond Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Photoreal-style Serious Sam 3? Wut?

Anyways, that's cool. Hope it's not much like SS2.

Diamond on
  • AncasterAncaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    boyfriend experience?

Ancaster on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    The Arabic writing on a wall makes me think it's going to take place on earth this time. :o

But... Serious Sam was already on Earth. Twice. Two out of the three games. First Encounter was Egypt, Second Encounter was either Central or South America.

Looking forward to this so much, though. SS2 was kind of a let down and the overly cartoony everything was a put off, but it was still funny and still let me kill lots of guys with big guns. From the pics that have been circulating it looks like SS3 is going "realistic" in it's aesthetics, but it seems to be over compensating for the cartoony visuals of SS2. They needa find a sweet spot in the middle, like the original game (which probably only looked that way because that was current level graphics at the time).

Hoping to see the return of the double barrel shotgun and the kleers. My desire for obliterating kleers will never be truly satisfied until SS3 comes out.

Also hoping it will see a retail release and is a full, lengthy, proper game. I only say this because the Painkiller series unfortunately descended into poop and has gotten to the point where they're releasing $5 download-only additions to the series.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
    edited February 2011
    Ancaster wrote: »
    boyfriend experience?

I think it's British Fire Engine.

Drake on
    edited February 2011
    Probably something like Battlefield Earth. Maybe Croteam went scientologist in the intervening years.

Edit: And this should be in every Serious Sam thread ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YD0yeuuOrY&feature=fvw

I wonder how many krundles SS3 is going to use. I mean, I can't even begin to understand their advanced algorithm advantages, but I bet SS3 is just gonna be swimming in pol-i-gons.

Klash on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    The Arabic writing on a wall makes me think it's going to take place on earth this time. :o

But... Serious Sam was already on Earth. Twice. Two out of the three games. First Encounter was Egypt, Second Encounter was either Central or South America.

Looking forward to this so much, though. SS2 was kind of a let down and the overly cartoony everything was a put off, but it was still funny and still let me kill lots of guys with big guns. From the pics that have been circulating it looks like SS3 is going "realistic" in it's aesthetics, but it seems to be over compensating for the cartoony visuals of SS2. They needa find a sweet spot in the middle, like the original game (which probably only looked that way because that was current level graphics at the time).

Hoping to see the return of the double barrel shotgun and the kleers. My desire for obliterating kleers will never be truly satisfied until SS3 comes out.

Also hoping it will see a retail release and is a full, lengthy, proper game. I only say this because the Painkiller series unfortunately descended into poop and has gotten to the point where they're releasing $5 download-only additions to the series.

Oh yeah, for some reason I was thinking SS happened off-world. I should know better considering how many times I've played through them all. I'll edit the OP. :lol:

Serious Sam 2 was actually pretty fun with the Insamnity 2 mod; Reinstated the old enemies, akimbo weapons, and you could increase spawns by like 16x. Definitely recaptured that SSFE/SE feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoSXj2KG9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wqby_okex4

IdolNinja on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh, Oh my. This looks fantastic. I remember some good 8 player coop (even though it can go up to 16!) and it was pure insanity. Also, trying to grab powerups from friends is always fun. Griefing, why I never!

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can't see BFE without thinking Butt Fuck Egypt.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited February 2011
    Someone speculated that BFE could be "Battle For Earth" on the Croteam forums. My money is on that one. :D

IdolNinja on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    big
    fucking
    explosions

Evil Multifarious on
    edited February 2011
    big
    fucking
    explosions

:^: How may I subscribe to your newsletter?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    big
    fucking
    everything
    I like this version better.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    homg

that screenshot

omg

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BFE = Butt Fuck Egypt, at least here in Texas.

Considering where SS3 takes place, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the acronym.

Medium Dave on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rock Paper ShotGun Serious Sam 3 Interview

TIME AND PLACE ARE SUBJECTIVE – BOOM! That was the sound of Serious Sam 3: BFE news dropping. Croteam’s Serious Sam 3: BFE is a glorious throwback to the golden age of first-person shooters where men were men, cover was for amateurs and pulling the trigger made things go boom. Serving as a prequel to the original indie sensation, Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam 3: BFE takes place during the Earth’s final struggle against Mental’s invading legions of beasts and mercenaries. Set against the collapsing temples of an ancient civilization and the crumbling cities of 22nd century Egypt, Serious Sam 3: BFE is an exhilarating fusion of classic twitch shooters and modern gameplay features.

“Serious Sam 3 is about pure fun and unfiltered action,” said Davor Hunski, chief creative officer of developer Croteam. “We wanted to expand on everything gamers love about the series while adding some genuinely unique new features to really enhance the mayhem Serious Sam is known for.”

Trademark features such as relentless hordes of spectacular enemies and expansive outdoor battlefields return in Serious Sam 3: BFE at full force. Other features include:

Frantic Arcade-Style Action – The calling card of the Serious Sam series, hold down the trigger and lay waste to a never-ending onslaught of attackers or face being overrun by Mental’s savage beasts. No cover systems, no camping – it’s just you and them. All of them.

Mental’s Fearsome Legions – A new battalion of unforgettable minions including the rumbling Scrapjack and towering Khnum join the legendary Headless Kamikaze, Gnaar and Sirian Werebull. Your days of mowing down zombie Nazi space pirates are over.

Serious Melee Attacks – When an enemy slips by your wall of lead and pain, use one of the all-new innovative melee moves to drop an enemy right where they stand in the most violent way possible.

Pure Multiplayer Mayhem – Play through the full campaign mode with up to 16 players or drop the gauntlet and let the heavy ordinance fly in versus modes like Deathmatch and Beast Hunt. This is the next level of Serious Sam multiplayer and all hell is about to break loose.

“Holy crap, I am going to make a boatload of cash of this game,” said Fork Parker, chief financial officer at Devolver Digital, the Serious Sam 3: BFE publisher. “I mean that’s what this is all about, right? If this thing comes out in the summer my wife is totally getting the tit job she’s been asking for.”

Serious Sam 3 will bring the boom to PC and game consoles this summer.

When asked for further comment, Fork replied, “Bam. Tit job.”

Spoilered for HUGE ASS SCREENS

sam1.jpg

sam2.jpg

sam3.jpg

sam4.jpg

sam5.jpg

Looks absofuckunlutelyrediculous.

Waka Laka on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love Serious Sam SO MUCH. The only question in my mind is "can they redeem themselves from non-Insamnity Serious Sam 2?" I would do anything for a proper sequel to Second Encounter.

Walt on
    edited February 2011
    Gnaars! God damned gnaars! Gnaars and their flying, invisible stupid eye-faces!

I always figured they were more fur-covered than spindly-muscle. But they look excellent. Looking forward to seeing what their blood looks like flying out of them in the new engine.

Klash on
    edited February 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »

sam2.jpg

Is that... Is that a helicopter at the top with tentacles? :shock: <3

IdolNinja on
  • DiamondDiamond Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like the 'silly monsters in real world environments' stuff they have going on.

Diamond on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Never even played the first two.

Actually I take that back. I played a little bit of the first one a long time ago on gametap. Maybe I need to try these again.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

sam2.jpg

Looks like a regular helicopter with a piece of debris floating in front of it.

Remington on
    edited February 2011
    Diamond wrote: »
    I like the 'silly monsters in real world environments' stuff they have going on.

That was my exact same thought. Hopefully this will poke a big stick in the eye of the lame GWOT-Sim trend.

Drake on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    holy crap....those screenshots..

SS to me was always the cheap little duke nukem knockoff with the subpar graphics and amazingly unbalanced gameplay.

But that looks really nice.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Diamond wrote: »

That was my exact same thought. Hopefully this will poke a big stick in the eye of the lame GWOT-Sim trend.

Yeah this has a style all it's own.

It looks like someone crossed CoD, EDF and DOOM!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

sam2.jpg

Looks like foreground debris more than that. If they market it like that in Japan, it will sell out.

Waka Laka on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

sam2.jpg

Looks like foreground debris more than that. If they market it like that in Japan, it will sell out.

And call it the Davy Jones.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Those screenshots... <3

I'll have to break out my Serious Sam t-shirt again this summer. It's a little old and washed out looking but it can take another game's worth of endless hordes.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh god

the kleers are going to kill me again, aren't they.

the gents need to organize some SS sessions soon. :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited February 2011
    Remington wrote: »

sam2.jpg

Looks like a regular helicopter with a piece of debris floating in front of it.

The caption for that picture on croteam's facebook page has this caption:
    "Sure, the Gnaar look great but did you see the enemy in the sky? More on him later but I assure you it's epic."

EDIT:
    HA! This was just posted seconds ago on twitter from Devolver Digital:

helitentacles.jpg

<3

IdolNinja on
    edited February 2011
    I had to buy the Serious Sam HD double pack off of Steam in celebration of all of this awesome.

I see glorious co op shooting in my immediate future.

Drake on
    edited March 2011
    What, the, fuck. An enemy that's a helicopter with tentacles on the front. What the hell, Croteam, You're some twisted sonsabitches, and I love it. <3

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    I hope it will dip down, pick up some enemies and toss them at you.

You hear, AAAAAAAAAAH and look around and see nothing. Then BOOOM, Kamikaze death from above.

Drake on
    edited March 2011
    SoulGate wrote: »
    What, the, fuck. An enemy that's a helicopter with tentacles on the front. What the hell, Croteam, You're some twisted sonsabitches, and I love it. <3

Och! Beware the krakencopter! The sound of its whirring rotor spells yer tentacled doom! :lol:

IdolNinja on
    edited March 2011
    I figured you would've called it the HeliC'thopter.

Drake on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just found out about this like 5 minutes ago and I'm goddamn ecstatic. Those screens alone make this a day one purchase for me.

Multi-player is going to be amazing.

gunwarrior on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm fucking love Serious Sam. One of the best throwback shooters around. Just the news of a third is enough to excite me. Then I saw those fucking screenshots...I mean. Shit man thats more than I was expecting.
    sprayingcum.jpg

Psychotic One on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, with the Serious Sam HD Fusion DLC thing, is there a preexisting SS thread for getting our Game On, or is it basically gonna be this thread?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited March 2011
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So, with the Serious Sam HD Fusion DLC thing, is there a preexisting SS thread for getting our Game On, or is it basically gonna be this thread?

I'm not sure if there is an existing thread already. I certainly don't mind if we use this thread though.

Look like http://serioussam.com went live. Nothing on there yet except a teaser pic:

facethehorde.jpg

IdolNinja on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ooooh elimination. So tempting.

Big Classy on