As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nerd Knitters, Crocheters, etc!

2»

• KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ixmasat wrote: »
    Oh man, I would totally be up for no-sew swag tshirt reconstruction! Got a few shirts last year that were super large and ended up giving them away to friends.

Ok, so I totally want to do this as well. So many awesome shirts that are either too big or just ugly (wrong fit). So what should I bring? Scissors, a shirt, and that's it? I'd love to at least get one started at PAX, and if I don't finish it, that's ok! I can finish it at home. And buy the book (which I might do even before PAX). ;)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Krissta wrote: »
    Ixmasat wrote: »
    Oh man, I would totally be up for no-sew swag tshirt reconstruction! Got a few shirts last year that were super large and ended up giving them away to friends.

Ok, so I totally want to do this as well. So many awesome shirts that are either too big or just ugly (wrong fit). So what should I bring? Scissors, a shirt, and that's it? I'd love to at least get one started at PAX, and if I don't finish it, that's ok! I can finish it at home. And buy the book (which I might do even before PAX). ;)

this reminds me: is bringing scissors an issue? i know it seems silly, but y'know, big convention, masses of people, sharp objects. think it would matter? am i being paranoid?

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I didn't have any issues bringing standard scissors. I wouldn't bring those huge, dressmaker's sheers, but I did bring a pair of about six inch long scissors last year. It's not like you'll be waving them around while screaming "Bonzaiiiii!!!" Then even embroidery scissors will get you taken down.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • workswithbeads2workswithbeads2 Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Knitting and crafting sound great! I have *mumble* years of knitting experience and am willing to help anyone who wants to learn to knit. I look forward to seeing you guys at PAX!

workswithbeads2 on
    edited February 2011
    Knitting and crafting sound great! I have *mumble* years of knitting experience and am willing to help anyone who wants to learn to knit. I look forward to seeing you guys at PAX!

That's a lot of experience. ;)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • CreidhesCreidhes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    astillac wrote: »
    Oooh, we should totally have a Ravelry group.

Ravelry does indeed already have a Penny Arcade group. :)

Creidhes on
  • genesneakygenesneaky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's a Ravelry thread in the Penny Arcade forum and in the Boston Yarn Party forum.

How do people feel about early vs. late? There are concerts and such in the evening and many people may be up late doing fun stuff and may not want to do the morning. I've never hung out in the wireless lounge because it is always so crowded so when I need a break I usually just leave for a bit. However, I am happy to do whatever everyone else wants!

genesneaky on
  • CaveCibumCaveCibum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I heard about last year's gathering only after the fact, so I definitely want to meet some of you this year. Last year, I used my PAX downtime to make this, but I'm still brainstorming geeky embroideries for this year.

CaveCibum on
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    CaveCibum... That. is. AWESOME.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • cohe223cohe223 Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Signed up for the forum just to check out what cool things are going on....very psyched about a snb at East! I'm in, I'll just have to pick out a new project!

cohe223 on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, CaveCibum! I talked to you on Flickr about that and it's awesome-a-tude. I want to see the master at work :D

Umm..for times, I'm more partial yo mornings because I want to do the concerts at night. Saturday morning would be splendid for me.
    Oh, and I'll bring cookies from the Cookie Brigade!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • TheRobotGuyTheRobotGuy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have friends that can knit awesome stuff in no time... as far as knitting goes. You can't exactly rush it too much. If only I can get them to realize that "nerd" and "geek" aren't bad words...

TheRobotGuy on
    Fuck You Bottle is the name of my Jonathan Coulton cover band.
    edited February 2011
    those who did this last year, what did you do as far as time/location? obviously the location is different this year, but maybe we can find something comparable? my main concern about saturday morning is that people might want to go to make-a-strip at 10:30, since that's one of the most popular panels. would people want to do earlier? later? something else entirely? i totally want this to happen, but there's so much going on at pax it's hard to plan!

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited February 2011
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    those who did this last year, what did you do as far as time/location? obviously the location is different this year, but maybe we can find something comparable? my main concern about saturday morning is that people might want to go to make-a-strip at 10:30, since that's one of the most popular panels. would people want to do earlier? later? something else entirely? i totally want this to happen, but there's so much going on at pax it's hard to plan!
    Hey tvethiopia! Last year we met on Saturday at 2.30 in the food court at the Purdential. This way we could all have a snack (cookies!), rest our tired feet, and miss the big lunch crowd. By doing it outside of the actual expo it also allowed people in the area who didn't have badges to meet with us as well.

Not sure if there is an equivalent space this year.

genesneaky on
    edited February 2011
    Idea:
    So, I think meeting at the Sumos in the wireless lounge is a good idea. If someone wants to suggest a time and day...

In addition, is anyone interested in using this as an excuse to stretch their legs and get a snack? A mere 1/2 mile stroll down the road is one of the Flour Bakery locations. While I haven't been to this one, the one in Central is amazing. Tea, coffee, and pastry anyone? (or sandwiches, soup, etc). Some of this probably depends on how many people want to go and if they are large enough.

genesneaky on
  • donnanoblehasbeensaveddonnanoblehasbeensaved Falls Church, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ooh, I would love to join in on this. I'm working on a Doctor Who scarf as well (!) which I was hoping to have done before PAX, but that's looking less and less likely. I'd love to work on that, or whatever else, with some other crafty folks! Friday or Saturday are the best days for me - I'd have to take another look at the schedule to know about specific times.

donnanoblehasbeensaved on
  • sugarheadsugarhead Portland, MERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes! Yes! Yes!

sugarhead on
  • Cliffs of SanityCliffs of Sanity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I (and maybe my hubby) would absolutely be up for some nerdy knitting at PAX East. I'm hoping to have his Link hat finished in time. As for a time, the evenings get pretty busy with parties, concerts, and such, so I would vote for afternoon, any of the three days.

Cliffs of Sanity on
    edited March 2011
    Flour Bakery is pretty amazing, but it's also pretty small and always busy, so there's no guarantee for seating, especially for a crowd. Looking at the map, there's going to be two food courts in the building, with the larger of the two near the expo hall. If we meet mid-afternoon, it might be a good place to meet.

CaveCibum on
  • BallisticChickBallisticChick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd be up for meeting either at the expo or somewhere nearby :)

Power to the fiber-arts!

BallisticChick on
  • donnanoblehasbeensaveddonnanoblehasbeensaved Falls Church, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmmm...it sounds like Saturday is preferable for a lot of folks. I would also point out (not that I'm saying most SnB'ers will be women, but it's quite possible) that the "Females on Female Characters" panel is on Saturday at 3, so I at least will be planning to see that. Maybe we could snag food and convene somewhere during the lunch rush? Or something?

GAH PAX WHY MUST YOU BE SO BUSY.

donnanoblehasbeensaved on
    edited March 2011
    Well, I think not 3pm is a good plan. I also think that CaveCibum is right about the food courts.

Do people prefer before the 3pm panel or after the 3pm panel and before the dinner rush?

Wireless lounge/sumo lovers want to weigh in? Should we have 2 meetings? Do most people prefer sumos over tables? (I personally love tables so I can eat cookies, drink tea and knit at the same time! But, I am also swayed by popular vote.)

genesneaky on
    edited March 2011
    Ah, ha! So, in case people want to voice their opinions in an organized manner... I made a survey monkey poll!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VVGVTC5

genesneaky on
    edited March 2011
    genesneaky wrote: »
    Idea:
    So, I think meeting at the Sumos in the wireless lounge is a good idea. If someone wants to suggest a time and day...

In addition, is anyone interested in using this as an excuse to stretch their legs and get a snack? A mere 1/2 mile stroll down the road is one of the Flour Bakery locations. While I haven't been to this one, the one in Central is amazing. Tea, coffee, and pastry anyone? (or sandwiches, soup, etc). Some of this probably depends on how many people want to go and if they are large enough.

Flour might be too small if you include their regular crowd on a Saturday. Plus normal PAXers.

There's really nothing around the convention center that won't be bombed (it's literally not near anything) so I'd say it'd be better to do it in the center in a place with lots of space. Especially if people are stopping in between events and panels and the like.

juju on
    [E]
    edited March 2011
    Ah, ha! So, in case people want to voice their opinions in an organized manner... I made a survey monkey poll!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VVGVTC5

way to get organized! i voted sumos... really no plan is going to be perfect, there's always going to be something else happening, but if we plan for something comfy/relaxing i know i'll be up for it whenever it happens.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited March 2011
    Well gang, according to the survey, the "Sumos/wireless lounge" and the "I don't care's" have it. Sounds like the Wireless lounge on Saturday is the best bet. If we do 1.30-3p will that give the best range for everyone. I think then there is no one panel that is over the course of that whole time and people can come and go.

For people who don't have a Saturday pass... sorry. If anyone wants to organize an additional knitting meetup, do it! :)

genesneaky on
  • NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This thread is now the death of me. D:

I've been in knitting mode since December. :)

Nullthread on
  • MintMint Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well gang, according to the survey, the "Sumos/wireless lounge" and the "I don't care's" have it. Sounds like the Wireless lounge on Saturday is the best bet. If we do 1.30-3p will that give the best range for everyone. I think then there is no one panel that is over the course of that whole time and people can come and go.

For people who don't have a Saturday pass... sorry. If anyone wants to organize an additional knitting meetup, do it! :)

Sweet ! I have to start a shift at 1500 so as long as it wasn't at or after 1500 I am super happy!

Mint on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here's hoping we're able to grab some Sumos then. I expect it to be crowded Saturday afternoon. Plus I think there's a Pokemon League meet-up then. Looking forward to it regardless.

Also, someone needs to make this: http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhn052jGvl1qze11co1_400.jpg

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    edited March 2011
    So for those of us that want to try to redo a T-shirt, what should we bring? A shirt and a pair of scissors? Anything else?

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
    edited March 2011
    That's it if you want a basic recon!

I will make my PAX schedule tonight hopefully and will definitely include stopping by for this. :)

juju on
    [E]
    edited March 2011
    juju wrote: »
    That's it if you want a basic recon!

I will make my PAX schedule tonight hopefully and will definitely include stopping by for this. :)

Sweet!! :D

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
    edited March 2011
    So for those of us that want to try to redo a T-shirt, what should we bring? A shirt and a pair of scissors? Anything else?

yeah, i doubt there will really be time for any serious hand sewing, so scissors are all you need for a no-sew project. however, if anyone happens to own one of those handheld mini sewing machine things that are meant for mending hems, that would probably be awesome for quick shirt recons. i'll probably also bring a box of safety pins. they're always useful.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited March 2011

yeah, i doubt there will really be time for any serious hand sewing, so scissors are all you need for a no-sew project. however, if anyone happens to own one of those handheld mini sewing machine things that are meant for mending hems, that would probably be awesome for quick shirt recons. i'll probably also bring a box of safety pins. they're always useful.

Ok, I think I should also ask this, too. Should I bring a shirt that's too big or one that fits? lol

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
    edited March 2011

Ok, I think I should also ask this, too. Should I bring a shirt that's too big or one that fits? lol

i suppose it depends on what you want to do. a shirt that fits ok can still be restyled if you like, or large shirts can be altered to fit better. if you are doing a shirt that's too large though, bringing a shirt that fits well can be helpful as a guideline.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited March 2011

i suppose it depends on what you want to do. a shirt that fits ok can still be restyled if you like, or large shirts can be altered to fit better. if you are doing a shirt that's too large though, bringing a shirt that fits well can be helpful as a guideline.

Ok, I'll probably bring one that fits, so as not to make things too complicated! ;-)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • litjrzygrllitjrzygrl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm still a beginner but I'm so in, maybe I can learn something from y'all.

litjrzygrl on
    I cannot live with out books. - Thomas Jefferson
    edited March 2011
    Can't wait to meet all of you!

CaveCibum on
  • territerri Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I finally took pictures and just have to share:

5512429965_4111a21fb7.jpg
    Angry Bird lineup by Terriko, on Flickr

My adventuring party is making a whole pile of these to play line games with, and I'm so excited about this weekend now. :)

5513027568_335a18953d_m.jpg
    Some of my Angry Bird collection by Terriko, on Flickr

Hopefully we'll get a chance to stop by the sumo lounge and meet some of you on Saturday 1:30-3!

terri on
  • ZazumZazum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't finish my Dr. Who scarf :( Good thing we're going to be knitting at PAX so I can work on it :)

Can't wait to meet some fellow knitters/gamers.

Zazum on