As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

IkageIkage Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Artist's Corner
Hay guys making a new thread!
Name is Amber Blade Jones and I'm a Lead Concept Artist for Escalation Studios. I attend Watts Atelier where it is incredible learning experience and I urge everyone to take classes.
So here I go!

018ll.jpg
027it.jpg
012eo.jpg
025ggi.jpg
011fw.jpg
006bub.jpg
030pv.jpg
093th.jpg

heds.gif
quicksketch.gif

School stuff and digital studies.

STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
Ikage on

• IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    skullsj.jpg
    ninjabagel.jpg
    114wi.jpg
    Heads from Friday uninstructed workshops. I wanted to show what my skill level is on my own and how I evolved dramatically with this school.
    sugarbeacha.jpg
    65827646.gif
    53903819.jpg
    23373408.jpg
    62971092.jpg
    83439517.jpg
    89144706.jpg
    59480464.jpg
    22527947.jpg
    60798858.jpg
    88557304.jpg
    55545368.jpg
    28579385.jpg
    71740125.jpg
    79437184.jpg

Quicksketches, 20 Minute Lay-ins, 2.5 hour drawing and some Master Studies in there. I don't know how to take pictures ablooo.

All done at Watts Atelier

bugs_by_ikager-d3al7tz.jpg

Also some bugs yaaay.

Ikage on
  • harrykharryk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Amazing stuff. All a pleasure to look at. Digging the scooter beetle.

harryk on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Seeing your studies is always inspiring, thanks for posting them Ikage! Its also really cool to see some more stuff with your new skills applied, the bugs are really nice.

Iruka on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh lord, that second image and the other ones like it are exactly my kind of thing.

Godfather on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ikage art raise the roof

earthwormadam on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think this is the first time I've seen your art, but I've heard so much about it :)

Good stuff. Absolutely all of it was fantastic. The skull cubes are brilliant. I could look at an entire gallery of those.

ninjai on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Loving what I see here! Those studies are excellent and make me want to draw like crazy.

Obilex on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really what can i say aside from how awesome this stuff is? My only gripe i guess would be that i would love to see some finished stuff in addition to these awesome studies.

NakedZergling on
    edited March 2011
    harryk- Thanks haha a lot of people are digging that design!

Iruka-Hahaha thanks ;w;bbb I hope to get to render some stuff out for Dominance War coming up!

GodFather- Yeauh it's the Frank Reilly method it's super cool to draw with.

Earthwormadam- Fahaha ;w; N-no that roof can stay where it is at it is probably happier and snug. But ahh nice to see your still around!

Ninjai- WHAT SCANDOLOUS RUMORS!?

Hahah thanks ;w; I hope to do more of the skull studies

Obilex- Hahah thanks!

Naked Zergling- Hopefully soon! I'll be doing an Illustration to my concept piece for Dominance War V. It starts March 5th I believe? But I've done tons of rendered out stuff for work, sadly NDA's

Ikage on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Great progress Amber, I particularly like this quicksketch page:
    093th.jpg

It's also great to have someone so skilled attend Watts. I promise I will start taking classes again soon so you can know the truly great feeling of having me in your class.

P.S. Loomdun's camera isn't cutting it. I am happy to shoot your work for you if you want to walk up here after class some time.

rts on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for sharing your studies and roughs, Ikage. Seeing other peoples processes are always interesting.

I'm curious what makes your second term drawing skills better than your first?
    114wi.jpg

Is is mainly better understanding of form and expressing volume? Your skills are way beyond mine, but I wouldn't mind having something to shoot for.

NibCrom on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    These are phenomenal! I read/lurked your last thread and love this one already. Everything looks so fluid and just plain awesome! I would love to get back into sketching and drawing, I don't remember if you have any tutorials - I know you have put notes on things you have drawn. I have no clue where to start, I bought all the supplies and grabbed all the Loomis books, I still feel like I have no idea where to start. Any tips?

cardboard delusions on
  • pineappleherbpineappleherb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    these are niceeeeeeee

pineappleherb on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ikage, this is all very inspiring. I really like lians creature! Also, I sent you a PM.

F87 on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    seeing the progress is exciting.

in the little landscape that cloud feels really close and thick, its also about the exact same size as the island so it feels a little awkward. I dig it tho..

Kendeathwalker on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    These are all amazing, way beyond my ability to critique.

So jealous.

These are phenomenal! I read/lurked your last thread and love this one already. Everything looks so fluid and just plain awesome! I would love to get back into sketching and drawing, I don't remember if you have any tutorials - I know you have put notes on things you have drawn. I have no clue where to start, I bought all the supplies and grabbed all the Loomis books, I still feel like I have no idea where to start. Any tips?

You should probably ask this in the questions thread, but I think this is what you're talking about.

Flay on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God damnit Ikage

Jesus fucking christ

just
    just stop it
    you better come to SDCC now because these are too fab and you have killed me

Kochikens on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow, Ikage. Great stuff! Keep doing whatever it is you're doing!

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ugh

god

ughhhhhhh

so
    good

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited March 2011
    Cakemikz-Haha thanks Ryan there are little Jeff drawings snuck in there like Easter Eggs.

Oh gooooddd it will be awesome to see you there again haha!

I...i..might take you up on this offer at the end of term haha.

Nibcrom-Thanks Nib I think doing what the teachers tell me to do and getting used to the pencil. Usually best course of action. Also studying in my spare time helped a lot.

Life studies are the best way to go for studying form and volume. It's as 3d as you can get!

cardboard delusions-There are quite a lot of books out there, like Michael Hamptons Figure and Invention or Bridgman and what not. And just grinding it out everyday and think about what your doing, what your lines/tones are achieving when you put them down as well. Is it a good line and does it define what I'm trying to convey?

If its a bad line then why is it a bad line? Did my knowledge of anatomy fail? Did I measure wrongly? Is my comparative measurement working? Just thinking about -what- your doing helped a ton too. Because it helped me locate weaknesses faster and make little study plans around what would help strengthen it.

pineappleherb- Thanks so much ;w;bb

F87- Thanks so much. Hope that photobucket helps!

Ken- Hahah thanks I hope to make even more when I am taking classes at CGMW for environments whenever there next term is.

Flay- Hahaha Flay ;w;bbb

Koch- I might not make this year due to jobs and being in Dallas. BUT MABBE I HOPE.

DDV- People brilliantly kicking my ass everyday and showing that I have so much to learn? Gotcha!

rfilyaw- hahah thanks ;w;bbb

Ikage on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What are you gonna be doing in Dallas amber? When will you be there?

My sister lives there and I haven't seen her in over a year cause of Toronto distance. I'll be home for the rest of this year at least, it'd be fun to catch up!

Godfather on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    what is CGMW? I sent you a PM

Kendeathwalker on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey eye-cage, do you know where to pick up those action figures you linked to in your blog? Specifically the anime robot girl with the weird torso and the grey base action figure guy

Metalbourne on
  • PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ikage! I love you and your work forever! That is all.

Phthano on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ikage wrote: »

bugs_by_ikager-d3al7tz.jpg

Also some bugs yaaay.

holy shitting balls I love these!
    (hello ee-cog-ay how you is)

Tam on
    edited March 2011
    Godfather-I'll be visiting for a day March 30th and sometime in April moving down. But that would be cool God Father!

Ken- CGMW are online classes which look prettty cool so trying an environment one to help my skill set. I'll PM you back soon with some stuff tomorrow, been crazy busy with work and school.

Metalbourne- Not sure I'll research into it and get some links for you soon though.

Pthano- I will collect on this one day.

Tam- Hahah thanks! I'm gearing up for Dominance War V and also starting on a pet project on making a mock videogame. Trying to decide on a lighthearted cartoon style one or a more grown up realistic one.

Ikage on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What you are leaving already? So much for being in your class.

rts on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Goddamn the form in these is mind blowing.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited March 2011
    cakemikz wrote: »
    What you are leaving already? So much for being in your class.

I'll talk to you about it next time I see you.

And thanks Campion!

Also I posted up the new Watts Atelier schedule here guys you should check it out- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212008

Ikage on
    edited March 2011
    I don't know why I'm doing this when I have a headache. Dump. Anything that looks good, 10 to 1 teachers work.

096v.jpg
    091hm.jpg
    090pr.jpg
    094q.jpg
    022k.jpg
    023mc.jpg
    024fa.jpg
    068ge.jpg
    073qm.jpg
    075ys.jpg
    076vo.jpg
    077j.jpg
    079f.jpg
    082og.jpg
    084ym.jpg
    086.jpg
    089sc.jpg
    025rk.jpg

Ikage on
    edited March 2011
    How long would you say an individual gesture takes you?

ninjai on
    edited March 2011
    Ninjai well we do them in 2's 3's and 5's some of these were 10's though.

Ikage on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So your teacher did all of these then? (I kid)

But these really are quite good. I think I've learned a few things just by looking at them. What materials are you using to shade the figures, charcoal?

Flay on
    edited March 2011
    Man. a gesture takes me minimum 10 minutes :(

ninjai on
    edited March 2011
    Dominance War's topic this time is gods, I'm just going to sketch up a bunch of gods until one sticks.

omnom.jpg

Om nom got sealed up underground and with all the noise from above he has finally awoken again. And with the battlefields are splayed out like a all you can eat buffet now he is just going to town. His tendril spikes break off and regenerate so he doesn't end up singeing himself in his acidic cauldron of a tummy.

I'll post more silhouettes next time I kind of just made this guy on the fly to get warmed up for the competition.

Next sketch I'm going to do is going to be based on these things.

combo.jpg

Ikage on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If that guy's bell thing on the top of his head is destroyed you should make whatever magic that's holding him up on those spindly legs break, resulting in a dramatic collapse. But that just pisses him off so he rolls over you like silly putty. Which is worse, being disolved in acid or suffocating underneath all that.

Also, I love the shapes you use to construct your figure drawing studies. Is that a Watts thing that's rubbed off on you or your own. They look like 3D puzzles, with each part locking into the next.

Sarksus on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm thinking that maybe the spikes could be fork shaped. Or would that be too sily?

Aim on
    edited March 2011
    He needs shovel shaped mandibles!

Metalbourne on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was going to say something about the tentacles not having the same quality as the rest, but then I remembered that rendering tentacles is a complete bitch

Tam on
    edited March 2011
    I like how those two dudes on that one tentacle totally look like they were fighting until they were brutally speared.

Metalbourne on