As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Train Alliance 2011 (PAXTrain East!) - Metal Gear Train SOLD OUT!

• Options
    cheesefurycheesefury Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Another new forum member declaring for PAXTrain! This is my first PAX and I'm having a hard time containing my excitement.

What line you will be on: Metal Gear
    Name: Ben
    Boarding Stop: Chicago
    Ticket Purchased: Y

cheesefury on
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    (First post!)

Name: Topher
    Boarding Stop: Penn Station (March 10th)
    Ticket Purchased: Not yet, probably tomorrow.

TopherRocks on
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What line you will be on: Sonic
    Name: Alan (+3 others)
    Boarding Stop: New Carrollton, MD
    Ticket Purchased: Y

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have to get up to Boston earlier on Thursday to meet up with some friends for dinner, so I'm taking the 11:00AM 172 Northeast Regional from NY Penn Station. Seems like there are people leaving from NYC at all different times. Anyone else hopping on the 172?

Gundabad on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sooo, you can take Becky and Kyle from Toronto off the Metal Gear line list. I uh kind of read the schedule wrong and am boarding the train in Buffalo on the day before y'all arrive. I wanted to get to Boston on Wednesday night anyway, though, and the train is now sold out on Thursday, so there ya go. I a bit bummed that we're missing the party, but on the other hand, I'll be hanging with 70,000 of you people on Friday-Sunday. :)

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    BoneriotBoneriot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It appears as though the Metal Gear Line is sold out for seats, at least at the buffalo stop otherwise i would most definitely join.

if it can be confirmed may be worth a mention.

Boneriot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Boneriot wrote: »
    It appears as though the Metal Gear Line is sold out for seats, at least at the buffalo stop otherwise i would most definitely join.

if it can be confirmed may be worth a mention.

It was confirmed to me by the Amtrak agent I called today. There are sleeper cars left, but no regular seats. She suggested to call every day in the early afternoon to see if there are cancellations, if you're looking for a ticket.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seriously? Sold out train? Oh this is gonna be awesome.

DanUNG on
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DanUNG wrote: »

Oh good heavens, that is obscene.

Come on, Sonic line! We're not going to let the Metal Gear line outdo us! PILE ON THE PEOPLE.

Also please someone bring Ticket to Ride for the hilarious irony.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Propriety wrote: »

Come on, Sonic line! We're not going to let the Metal Gear line outdo us! PILE ON THE PEOPLE.

I swear I saw that at Target when I went PAX shopping last week. Didn't even think of getting it.

Also, "PILE ON THE PEOPLE"?
    That's what she said.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Mystery Express should be another staple for the train.

Also, I suppose now is as good as a time as any to let you guys know that I won't be on the train with you.

I really wish I could be, but having just moved to Seattle and starting a new job, I couldn't get the time to do the whole trip and the expense to fly to Chicago and jump on was a bit more than I could handle after the expense of moving across the country.

Don't be sad though, in my place I am sending my friend Spook and his wife Sarah. They will be getting on in Cleveland and should have a video recording apparatus of some sort or another that I will live through vicariously.

This train trip has become its own living entity, and I'm confident that it will continue to grow in the years to come. Good job selling out that train, Metal Gear!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Lugh LamfhadaLugh Lamfhada Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Assuming the numbers on the front page are accurate, and including those that are listed as still haven't bought a ticket; factor in the transfers from other lines... even if the Metal Gear line is sold out there are only a little over 40 pasangers there that are from the ETA. The Sonic line; which does not appear to have sold out; has roughly 100 ETA members. What we Sonic-liners lack in total seat occupancy we make up for in ETA numbers. I don't think we really need to pile on the numbers. As it is we're going to completely terrify the other passangers.

Lugh Lamfhada on
    Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH VOMIT IN THIS HAT?!
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Not terribly surprising. There is one train per day each way on the Lake Shore Limited. The train splits in Albany, some to Boston and some to NYC (and takes the dinner car to NYC :()

With Alvin and Dexter, of course, because nothing says trains like Godzilla and the Vs.

antherem on
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok so to be safe I bought a ticket for the 172 Northeast Regional on Thursday. Is anyone else going on it or should I change it to the 176 so I'm not alone? I'm a bit cautious about going to my first PAX on my own :/

TopherRocks on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The 176 will have a TON of PAX people on it. The 172 has about 4.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok so to be safe I bought a ticket for the 172 Northeast Regional on Thursday. Is anyone else going on it or should I change it to the 176 so I'm not alone? I'm a bit cautious about going to my first PAX on my own :/

You did the OPPOSITE of playing it safe. 176 is where the party is at, so change your ticket and JOIN US! :wink:

BigSassy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ah, fuck it, you sold me! I'll change it now. :D

TopherRocks on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Mystery Express should be another staple for the train.

Also, I suppose now is as good as a time as any to let you guys know that I won't be on the train with you.

I really wish I could be, but having just moved to Seattle and starting a new job, I couldn't get the time to do the whole trip and the expense to fly to Chicago and jump on was a bit more than I could handle after the expense of moving across the country.

Don't be sad though, in my place I am sending my friend Spook and his wife Sarah. They will be getting on in Cleveland and should have a video recording apparatus of some sort or another that I will live through vicariously.

This train trip has become its own living entity, and I'm confident that it will continue to grow in the years to come. Good job selling out that train, Metal Gear!

Aww. I was looking forward to introducing you to my friends as The Man That Saved The Lost Car.

Ah well, I'll vicariously say hi through Spook/Sarah. You still going to East, at least?

rufo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'll still be there. If you find me at PAX, you can introduce me to your friends there.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Assuming the numbers on the front page are accurate, and including those that are listed as still haven't bought a ticket; factor in the transfers from other lines... even if the Metal Gear line is sold out there are only a little over 40 pasangers there that are from the ETA.

since so many eastbound lines converge into metal gear, there are likely a lot of pax-bound folks who haven't necessarily posted on the forums here, hence the selling out. i'll be meeting an incoming friend who's taking metal gear, and i can't wait to see the flood of paxers disembarking!

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SO Pumped! less than a week away!

blAAAm!!! on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    Assuming the numbers on the front page are accurate, and including those that are listed as still haven't bought a ticket; factor in the transfers from other lines... even if the Metal Gear line is sold out there are only a little over 40 pasangers there that are from the ETA.

since so many eastbound lines converge into metal gear, there are likely a lot of pax-bound folks who haven't necessarily posted on the forums here, hence the selling out. i'll be meeting an incoming friend who's taking metal gear, and i can't wait to see the flood of paxers disembarking!

Yeah, if last year is any benchmark to go by, there are a number of lurkers and accidental PAX-bound travelers that will end up on the train as well. The Sonic line will probably still have the higher density because as the available tickets on that train go down, the price goes up. Therefore, people who aren't committed to being on that train (non-PAXtrain people), will opt for another, cheaper train. The east coast has several trains a day that travel that route. The Metal Gear train is the only train that travels between Chicago and Boston on that day.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SchlockSchlock aka, KoalaBro2 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, just ran across this. Sadly I'm already scheduled to go out via plane, but this is an awesome idea. When my Masonic organization (Scottish Rite Valley of Chicago) took a trip to New Orleans, we actually rented a couple private railcars, plus a private dining car, and paid Amtrak to just stick them on the back of the train. So both cars, plus the dining car, were 100% our guys. Maybe we should look into doing that for next year, at least for the Chicago-Boston leg? I'll ask one of the guys who was in charge of that how much it cost us, to see if it'd be feasible from a cost perspective.

Schlock on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I believe the guys who do the trip up the west coast have already looked into such a thing. It's prohibitively expensive for this kind of trip. We don't have everybody getting on at one stop and paying one person who then pays amtrak. For this to happen, somebody would have to foot the bill and get reimbursed by people going. Plus we have people who end up on the train who never post in this thread, making it more difficult to keep track of.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I believe the guys who do the trip up the west coast have already looked into such a thing. It's prohibitively expensive for this kind of trip. We don't have everybody getting on at one stop and paying one person who then pays amtrak. For this to happen, somebody would have to foot the bill and get reimbursed by people going. Plus we have people who end up on the train who never post in this thread, making it more difficult to keep track of.

Unquestionably, you'd need to set up money collection in advance. Must sell x tickets by y date to justify booking the private cars. The problem of multiple stops would, I think, be alleviated by the fact that most people have to transfer at Chicago. The additional people we'd pick up between Chicago and Boston could still be accommodated, though of course the closer we get to Boston, the less justifiable the cost of the flat-rate private car would be. Lurkers would be much less of a problem, I think, if you had to pay the third party in advance. Anyway, you may well be right, it may still end up being impractical, but it sure would be awesome if it could get pulled off.

Schlock on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Except most people don't transfer in Chicago. The bulk of people on that line board between Chicago and Boston.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Ahahaha! Okay, apparently the Scottish Rite spent close to $1000 per person on our private train trip. No wonder the issues seemed, to me, to be surmountable. Never mind, I'll drop the private train car idea now :)

Schlock on
  • Options
    MangoProjectsMangoProjects Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    blAAAm!!! wrote: »
    SO Pumped! less than a week away!

Me too. This time next week, I will be on the red-eye train ride to Boston. :shock:

MangoProjects on
    I create images with IMPACT.
  • Options
    PraxisLokiPraxisLoki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What line you will be on: Sonic Line
    Name: Praxis
    Boarding Stop: DC
    Ticket Purchased: Yes, back in December but only found this thread now.

Yes, I registered just for this thread. And yes, I know I'm late to the party.

Really looking forward to getting on this train. I will be taking lots and lots of pictures.

Early layover folks from Metroid and Star Fox lines: Looking forward to meeting you all as well, I'll probably head to Union Station a bit early just to hang out.

PraxisLoki on
  • Options
    BillyRayJebusBillyRayJebus Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    The 176 will have a TON of PAX people on it. The 172 has about 4.

Change that number to 3. I changed my ticket to the 176, to be in with in-crowd.

BillyRayJebus on
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Welcome aboard the Sonic line!

PraxisLoki, are you the dapper gentleman who was wearing three hats at PAXEast last year? If so, that was awesome and I have a picture of you! Either way, brilliant avatar!

This is going to be... SO BRILLIANT. I'm going to be at 30th street station early, so Philadelphia folks be on the lookout for a guy wearing an extremely ridiculous scarf.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    WhiteWolfacWhiteWolfac Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    This just in! The Real Metal Gear Solid Train leaves a day before on Wednesday! DUM DUM DUM!

WhiteWolfac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Um... no it doesn't

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Um... no it doesn't

Pwnt :twisted:

So Sonic Line people, what time are you planning on getting to Penn Station? I'm not too sure yet which train I'm taking in. I'll be in either 1:07 or 3:02.

TopherRocks on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Um... no it doesn't

Pwnt :twisted:

So Sonic Line people, what time are you planning on getting to Penn Station? I'm not too sure yet which train I'm taking in. I'll be in either 1:07 or 3:02.

I'm getting on the train in Newark NJ at 3:00 pm. It's the 176 Northeast Regional.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    ZiggoZiggo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For all the other people riding the Metal Gear line (AKA the cool kids), I just wanted to make sure I'm on the same train as you guys. I'll be boarding the 48 lake shore limited in Cleveland, OH which turns into the 448 lake shore limited.

Ziggo on
    We aren't the beginning, nor the end, but we can sure as hell make a difference if we try.
  • Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ziggo wrote: »
    For all the other people riding the Metal Gear line (AKA the cool kids), I just wanted to make sure I'm on the same train as you guys. I'll be boarding the 48 lake shore limited in Cleveland, OH which turns into the 448 lake shore limited.

Just checked my tickey, and you are on the correct train, my friend.

DanUNG on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This just in! The Real Metal Gear Solid Train leaves a day before on Wednesday! DUM DUM DUM!

Well, if anybody is on the Premature Metal Gear train (arriving in Boston Wednesday night), stop on by and say hi to the short frizzy-haired redheaded lady and the tall skinny bald guy who will probably be playing Pokemon. :D

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    PraxisLokiPraxisLoki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey all, I'm just going to suggest hashtags (for the twitter inclined) for the individual trains in the Alliance so we can keep up to date with what's going on, have quick meetups, etc.

I think #sonicline has it the easiest. ;)

I'd also love to hear from the other trains as they make their way to PAX East.

PraxisLoki on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Metal Gear People Getting On In Syracuse:
    Want to plan to meet up before the train? Send me a PM. I'm planning to get to the station around 10:30.

antherem on
This discussion has been closed.