As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

• yockyock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So now that we have the normal PC Tourneys all announced, do we have an ETA on the BYOC events? Or are we going to hear about those closer to the actual event, if not day of?

yock on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You will hear about them day of.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BigRed wrote: »
    ransim wrote: »
    So... silly question.

We were hoping to bring both mine and Robz's computers to BYOC, but its looking like only mine is going to make the trip, especially if I don't have my new case for the trip.

We have two BYOC tickets so I figured we can easily just share my one computer and that shouldn't be an issue I hope. But what I'm curious about is I was thinking about bringing either his 24" monitor or my two 20.1" monitors. I know there is power and space constraints but if we have two physical spots can I hook up both monitors?

I checked over the FAQ and saw the comment about only a 24" monitor and power constraints but I wanted to check to be sure.

<--- going batty about not having her new case in time potentially

Edit: His machine is having some issues and I don't think I'll be able to shore those up with everything else I have to do in the next week and a half.

Yes to both of your questions.

If you both have a BYOC badge then you can enter and leave as you please.

Yes if you have 2 seats you can have 2 monitors.

Or you can hook up a laptop and a monitor if either of you have a laptop or something to bring.

Sadly the only laptop we own is a itty bitty netbook. Great for minor stuff, but its not so hot for gaming, though it does play some games on very low graphic settings.

We're dedicated desktop people. For good or ill.

But maybe I'll see if I can borrow a laptop for him for the weekend.

ransim on
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    The Base and The Case:

2011-03-01%2020.49.58.jpg

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • ArcheiousArcheious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know the odds are slim but has anyone registered for BYOC that cannot attend? I would love to attend in your place.

Archeious on
  • KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Archeious wrote: »
    I know the odds are slim but has anyone registered for BYOC that cannot attend? I would love to attend in your place.
    Theres no ticket transfers allowed. All people can do is get refunds and the ticket will be released back into the general pool.

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • ArcheiousArcheious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Knoland wrote: »
    Archeious wrote: »
    Theres no ticket transfers allowed. All people can do is get refunds and the ticket will be released back into the general pool.

Drat. I have been lurking the registration page for the last couple months and I have never timed it when pass have been released. :(

Archeious on
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Two more before bed...

DSCI0119.JPG

DSCI0121.JPG

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Text of the BYOC Email that's about to go out:

Hello BYOC registrants! PAX East is now only days away, and the following information should help to make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly. If you have any questions, please let us know in the PAX Forum, or respond to us at pax_pc@paxsite.com. The main PAX Penny Arcade Forum can be found at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26, BigRed's BYOC thread for PAX East 2011 is at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=130394, and the thread for this email is at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=138048.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

BYOC barcode that you were emailed and printed out (from the Intel LAN Fest site) (if you don't have it yet, don't sweat, they should be out by the end of the week prior to PAX East)
    3 day PAX pass
    Computer
    Monitor (Please no bigger than 24" LCD or 21" CRT)
    Keyboard
    Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
    Mouse pad
    Ethernet cable (15 feet should be sufficient, but it's better to have longer than shorter).
    Power cables
    Power strip
    Headphones
    Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer and we might be able to hook you up. If we can't, Staples is about a mile away:

Staples
    83 Summer Street
    Boston, MA 02110

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX East. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, WoW, and such. You will have access to the Internet while at PAX East, but the more time you spend doing something you could have done at home, the less time you'll spend having fun.

It is also mandatory that you run virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved.

--- Basic PAX East BYOC Information ---

Lots of updates can be found on BigRed's forum (referenced at the start of the email), along with handy loading/unloading info. BYOC is located in room 157, between the NE and SE lobbies on the first floor. This year you'll be able to drop off your gear at the SE Lobby, right outside BYOC, but please DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CARS UNATTENDED. We recommend dropping off your gear with some friends while you go park so we can get through the line of cars as quickly as possible. This year you'll get to play dodge 'em / Frogger with the hotel shuttles and public transit buses that discharge and pick up passengers at the NE lobby (which you have to pass to get to the SE Lobby...this should be fun), so the quicker we get through this the better.

For your reference, BigRed has already posted an image of the BYOC part of the first floor, but you can also reference this PDF to get an understanding of the entire first floor layout:

http://advantageboston.com/BCEC/floorplans/BCECLevel1.pdf

The PAX East BYOC schedule is as follows:

Friday: 8:00am - 2:00am
    Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00am
    Sunday: 10:00am - 7:00pm (Don't forget about Daylight Savings Time, though, spring those clocks forward!)

Note that BYOC opens at 8:00am on Friday, two hours earlier than the rest of the show. Obviously that's pending our ability to make sure things are totally ready for you, but the idea is you'll be able to set up your rig with plenty of time to hop in the Expo Hall line so you can be among the first to explore it's riches.

Make sure you print out the barcode that will be sent to you the week of the show. Also keep in mind you'll be able to get into the PC room up to two hours before PAX officially opens (first day only, for setup) so just bring your gear to the SE Lobby (Summer Street -> East Ring Road / Service Road, between the BCEC and the Westin hotel. Google "Boston, MA Bullock St." and that should give you a rough idea) and get set up so that you can hit the Expo hall as soon as it opens. And dude, bring a photo ID. We can figure something out if you don't have your seating info, but if you don't have a photo ID it will make life very difficult for yourself!

If you don't have your 3-day pass shipped to you, you can pick it up from Will Call in the North Lobby, the big huge room in front of the expo hall. (Again, though, the BYOC badge will be acquired in front of the PC room).

If you have any PC related questions at all during PAX East, please see the PC Security desk (where you checked your equipment into BYOC). If they're not able to provide a solution, they'll be able to direct you to the right people to get your problem solved. If you're in need of tech support, please see the help desk at the back of the BYOC room.

--- Security Information ---

Of course, there's more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we probably put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX East BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitors you're bringing into the computer area (you'll have to check them out as well). We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent ipods, portable game consoles, cd's, big wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security.

If you're coming with a laptop, we also strongly recommend you invest in a laptop lock particularly if you plan on leaving your laptop unaccompanied while you rock out to the Minibosses. If you don't know what kind to get, pick anything from this list:

http://bit.ly/hHNo1p

--- Tournament Information ---

Your Tournament Overlords this year will be Ghrog and Dr. Deezee.

All PC Tournament information can be found on the PAX forums, at this address:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=137860

--- BYOC Activities ---

Your BYOC camp counselor/activities director this year will be BigRed. He'll be in charge of making sure you're having fun while you're sitting at your computer.

If you joined us in years past you'll be familiar with the BYOC activities we run. Unlike the tournaments, they're kept pretty casual and serve as a great way to have some quick fun, and perhaps win some prizes along the way. Although they are generally exclusive to BYOC attendees, sometimes they will be using freeplay computers, particularly for events in games that not everyone may have. More information will be available at PAX East, but we've had a sneak peek at the prize list *cough*Sandy Bridge*hack*SSDs*cough* and HOLY SHIT. But I can't really reveal anything.

--- Sponsorship Information ---

PAX East BYOC 2011 has Intel Inside (literally). The room could not and would not exist without their support, so props to them!

Intel
    http://www.intel.com

Intel has also partnered with the following companies to help bring you the PAX East 2011 PC experience:

MSI
    http://www.msi.com/index.php

InWin
    http://www.in-win.us/

Steelseries
    http://steelseries.com/home

--- Intranet Information ---

As always our intranet page will be at http://pax/. We expect it to contain a Twitter feed and some other social types of things.

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have several Ventrilo servers available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the client available on our file server, it is recommended that you download and install Ventrilo before you come to the event. You can download the client at http://www.ventrilo.com.

Server address information will be available at PAX on the intranet site.

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
  • hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good news, everybody!

I got permission from the wonderful NotHanz (the dude that built it) to host the scale Minecraft model of the BCEC! Next up: crop that bit out of the rather well-developed map it's currently in, and stick it in to a fresh map of our own. I'll probably put up a few screenshots over the next couple of days, too.

hendusoone on
    8hiRK4y.png
  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there any word on what the parking is like at the convention center? Is the parking free over there? Id like to be able to drive there every day, but if its gonna cost and arm and a leg ill just take the subway over after i drop my gear off the first day.

thr4sher on
  • Obsolete ModelObsolete Model Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I believe it is $10 for self parking and $20 for valet parking.

Obsolete Model on
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well that beats the 80$ it was last year at the other convention centers parking. That was rough ;_;

thorkon on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hendusoone wrote: »
    Good news, everybody!

I got permission from the wonderful NotHanz (the dude that built it) to host the scale Minecraft model of the BCEC! Next up: crop that bit out of the rather well-developed map it's currently in, and stick it in to a fresh map of our own. I'll probably put up a few screenshots over the next couple of days, too.

Awesome! Can't wait for the screen shots!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    taumeson wrote: »
    *snip*

BYOC barcode that you were emailed and printed out (from the Intel LAN Fest site) (if you don't have it yet, don't sweat, they should be out by the end of the week prior to PAX East)
    3 day PAX pass
    Computer
    Keyboard
    Mouse pad
    Ethernet cable (15 feet should be sufficient, but it's better to have longer than shorter).
    Power cables
    Power strip
    Headphones
    Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.
    1.10 What should I bring to the event?

* Confirmation email showing your payment confirmation, seat number and gamer id
    * Computer and display
    * Mouse and Keyboard (and Joystick/GamePad if you use these) or game controllers if you are bringing a console
    * Network cable (25ft)
    * Power and Video Cables
    * Games (and their required discs if applicable)
    * Headphones (speakers are not allowed)
    * Note: Surge Protectors will be provided (you will not be allowed to use your own.)

Power strip or no power strip?

antherem on
  • taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    antherem wrote: »
    *snip*
    *super snip*
    Power strip
    *super snip*
    *super snip*
    * Note: Surge Protectors will be provided (you will not be allowed to use your own.)

You won't be able to plug your own power strip into the main circuit, but people often want to plug in a DS, phone charger, etc. Instead of taking up room on the main power strips, folks bring their own and plug them into the provided strip.

Bottom line is this: If a particular circuit is pulling too much power, we're going to pull devices off of it, plain and simple. Barring that, we see no harm in plugging in cell phones and whatnot. If it becomes a problem, we'll fix it.

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
    edited March 2011
    Is anyone else bringing a casemod besides thorkon and myself?

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
    edited March 2011

Well ill be bringing the ChrisRay memorial PC that nvidia raffled off last year, but I changed the case (donated it to ChrisRays sister since it meant a lot to her)... not gonna enter it in the mod contest or anything tho. If anyone wants to check it out itll be there tho =)

thr4sher on
    edited March 2011
    thr4sher wrote: »

Well ill be bringing the ChrisRay memorial PC that nvidia raffled off last year, but I changed the case (donated it to ChrisRays sister since it meant a lot to her)... not gonna enter it in the mod contest or anything tho. If anyone wants to check it out itll be there tho =)

Just checked out Alice's website. Sad to hear about losing a great human/builder/modder. Glad that you won, and super-glad to hear you gave the case to Alice!

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Not a case mod sadly, but I'm one of the first people in the USA to get a BitFenix case, so maybe thats something.

I'm not crafty/focused enough with my hands to do modding at that level unfortunately.

ransim on
    edited March 2011
    The LANfest barcodes have not been sent out yet, right? I'm trying to get things ready this weekend, driving there from Michigan on Wednesday. Hoping to print this out at work before I leave.

Just hoping I didn't delete it or it shifted into spam folder.

Obsolete Model on
    edited March 2011
    nah they didnt mail out yet, at least i dont think so. I didnt get anything yet.

thr4sher on
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Think I saw something earlier saying that they were trying to get them emailed out tonight. . .

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• yockyock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They are sending them tonight according to twitter.

yock on
    edited March 2011
    Thank you. I should check twitter more for these updates. Sadly my phone is grabage when it comes to loading up websites. I am really kicking myself for not getting a droid. That convention-app looks mighty nice.

I will have plenty of time to print it Monday or Tuesday, just glad I didn't delete it by mistake.

Obsolete Model on
    edited March 2011
    . . . on the other hand, I just got mine in email, so maybe you WILL have it before you leave work.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• RombusRombus Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I got mine at 3:41pm,

Oh by the way, Hi! Been lurking around here for a while, finally decided to register, cant wait till next week!

Rombus on
    edited March 2011
    Thanks again, Khadour. I'm printing it out now.

Obsolete Model on
  • hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As promised, here are a couple screenshots of the Minecraft BCEC model, built by NotHanz. Images are large, so I'm linking them instead of embedding.

A view of the outside: http://images.wookieefive.net/byocraft/outside.png

Standing under the first skybridge, looking back at the expo hall entrance: http://images.wookieefive.net/byocraft/front-of-expo-hall.png

Standing just past the second skybridge, looking back at the first - with view distance set to far, you can't see the front of the hall from here: http://images.wookieefive.net/byocraft/middle-of-expo-hall.png

Still standing in the same spot as the previous shot, just turned around to face the rear of the hall: http://images.wookieefive.net/byocraft/rear-of-expo-hall.png

I've set up a twitter feed for the server, too... I'll be posting updates as I have them, and the server should eventually be tweeting events like starting up, restarting, and people joining/leaving (assuming the twitter plugin works). http://twitter.com/BYOCraft

hendusoone on
    8hiRK4y.png
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    totally awesome hendusoone! Hoping I get a chance to play on this map next week!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
    edited March 2011
    Alright, you guys have until Monday morning for group seating stuff. After that point I will be onsite and will be unable to accept any further changes.

BigRed on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    antherem wrote: »
    *snip*

3 day PAX pass
    Computer
    Keyboard
    Mouse pad
    Power cables
    Power strip
    Headphones

* Confirmation email showing your payment confirmation, seat number and gamer id
    * Computer and display
    * Mouse and Keyboard (and Joystick/GamePad if you use these) or game controllers if you are bringing a console
    * Network cable (25ft)
    * Power and Video Cables
    * Games (and their required discs if applicable)
    * Headphones (speakers are not allowed)

More importantly. We have to bring our own ethernet cables? Not really an issue but for some reason I was under the impression they'd be provided there. :?

It's not a tumor on
    edited March 2011
    Ports are provided, but you do need your own ethernet cable. You did at East last year, and I assume it's the same at Prime.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
    edited March 2011
    Ports are provided, but you do need your own ethernet cable. You did at East last year, and I assume it's the same at Prime.

yes you need your own ethernet cable, just like most LANs. The switches are toward the middle of the table rows so id bring a long one if possible, around 20-25ft

BigRed on
    edited March 2011
    Anyone who doesn't have a patch cable, and doesn't want to pay exorbitant prices for one, should check out DeepSurplus.com - you may still have time to get it shipped, and they're much cheaper than buying them at retail.

Khadour on
    xWDsUaZ.png

• WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is PC freeplay no longer viewable from BYOC? There's a wall separating the two now?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited March 2011
    Is PC freeplay no longer viewable from BYOC? There's a wall separating the two now?

Yeah, limitation of the area we are in :( BYOC is in a separate room.

BigRed on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, limitation of the area we are in :( BYOC is in a separate room.

How are you going to do BYOC-Freeplay combined tourneys? D:, send someone to run out the door, through the hallway, and into the other room?

Orrrr hook up the mic system to BOTH rooms... one side starts talking.. the other side is thinking "WTF GHOST!!!" New movie, Phantom of the LAN Room.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited March 2011
    There is no BYOC-freeplay combined tourneys.

BigRed on
  • djroot2djroot2 Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    What are the available times to pickup passes on Thursday?

djroot2 on