As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

League of Legends: ITEM is objectively aweful on CHAMPION

KwoaruKwoaru Confident SmirkFlawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
edited January 9 in Social Entropy++
Download this now! It's free to play!

League of Legends is a game based off a Warcraft III Mod called DotA.
It’s like DotA without the stupid modders or HoN without being patted down for cash

You pick one of like 10 million champions and then try to destroy the other teams. Between you and the enemy base is a series of towers and automatically spawning npcs called creeps (or minions)

Why should I play this?
  • It’s fun. If you enjoyed DotA (or any variation thereof) you will probably enjoy LoL
  • It’s free. Nearly everything can be unlocked just by playing the game; earning and spending Influence Points (more on them later)
  • Dedicated support. Riot isn’t perfect, but in their effort to make money they continuously update the game with bug fixes, balance changes, and new characters.
  • It’s free. Seriously, everything is free except for champion skins and some meta-game boosts that only jerks buy and don’t really matter anyway.
Who actually plays this?
Lots of people.

Who plays this and isn’t a racist 12 year old shit fucker?
Bunches of people from both SE and GnT
SE++ PLAYER LIST!
ack – sacksy
anjin-san – steezus
andrew ryan – andrewdyin
Anon the Felon - Crusix1
Antimatter - Positronic
as7 - arsenic7

BahamutZERO - BahamutZEROOO
Basic - Kiziaru
bendery – bendery
BoomShake - The Sorcelator
Bucketman - Bucketman
burning organ - organburner
b_r – ishuma

Captain Cthulhu - VadersGonnaVade
charles kinbote – esopus
CodeRed - Muckdork
corporatelogo – corporatelogo
cosmic sombrero - nouveau chapeau
Cowardly - Dangersock

dadouw – dadouw
DeaconBlues - NormansRevenge
der waffle mous - derwafflemous
dougyfresh - dougyfresh88
dread pirate arbuthnot - requine
Drool - mean red worms
druhim - druhim
dr.funkenstein - borylord

Energeno - Energeno
Erics - Muse fyi

facetious - Bonhomie
fallout – fallovt
faynor – faynor
FirmSkater - Qlanth
FrylockHolmes - FrylockHolmes

grath - grath
gumpy - gumpyvonbear

hellajeff – efrenchlove
hunter - hunterse
Huntera - Verflutche

iamthepieman - pyeman

Jars - Jars
JohnHam - J0HNH4M
jyardana - jyardana

kabuki64 - blts / e101
koshian - koshian
kovak - bigg johnson
kwoaru – kwoaru

lardalish – lardalish
lilli - lilli fen

Meissnerd - The Snerd
Mr. Mojo Risin - Vaamoose

Nerdgasmic - NerdgasmicPA
nirya - nirya

phonehand – hobbesmee
pipthefair - pipthefair
pkerthbnd – thegodfajah
projeck - projeck

Rent - Renttastic
Ruby Rhod - TheRubyRhod

Sagaxus - Zolnab
SeñorAmor - senoramor
Shrieve - Shrieve
skettios - zymirra / obliviousninja
SLyM - OvertlyEsoteric
Swill - SwillaThaThrilla
Syrellis - Syrellis

the cheat – menstrosaurus
The_Reflection - The Reflection
thelawinator – thelawinator
TracerBullet - SpacemanSpliffed

unintentional - Unintentional
uriel - jarofmolymayo

wimble - wimble

XLShadow - xls

zen vulgarity - zenvulgarity
Zoel - kingzoel
zombiemombo - essgee
Do people use vent for this?
We'll just use the se++ vent like chumps
vtx14.defconservers.com
fortytwo

It says the servers are busy
Well too bad, boy!
There is no magic code anymore so you just have to wait in line
Is there anything I should know before I play this?
Lots of things.
Hey wait you said I could pick from a million dudes but I only have 10 available, god damn liar.
Hey now, whoa now.
Every week Riot selects 10 champions to be available for free, if you want to use a certain champion all the time you have to buy them.

You said I didn't have to buy anything! How deep does this rabbit hole of lies go?
Well you see, every match you play gives you Influence Points (IP) that's essentially monopoly money. You can spend IP to permanently unlock champions. Some champions are cheap and some are not, but you'll learn about that as you play more.

Okay, well what else?
First, let’s talk about you.

You are the summoner
Each match awards XP that goes towards your Summoner level.
Summoner levels unlock Rune Slots, Mastery points, and additional Summoner Spells.

Mastery Points - Pretty basic meta game. Read what they do and choose what you like. You get one mastery point per summoner level, and as you get more points you’ll be able to create character specific builds, but starting out I prefer the utility tree.

Rune Slots - Another meta game thing. While the bonus for an individual rune is small, together then can have a big impact on your character’s effectiveness, especially in the early game.
DO NOT BUY RUNES BEFORE YOU HIT SUMMONER LEVEL 20
At level 20 you unlock tier 3 runes, which are so much better than tier 1 and 2 it is silly. Here's the full list if you're curious.
Summoner Spells - For the most part, your are defined by the champion you pick, but before each match you choose 2 summoner spells. You can use any spell with any champion, but some spells are more effective for some champs than they are for others.

More information on that in here.
Exhaust (Level 1) Blinds (100% Miss Chance) the target and slows its Movement Speed by 40% for 3 seconds. Good for preventing escapes.
Ghost (Level 1) Your Champion ignores unit collision and moves 32% faster for 14 seconds. Good for escapes, but keep in mind you can still be slowed down while ghosting.
Heal (Level 1) Restores 140 + 20 x level Health to your Champion and 50% of that to nearby allies.
Revive (Level 1) Instantly revives your Champion at your Spawning Pool. In addition your champion gains a speed bonus that decreases over time. 9 Minute cooldown.
Smite (Level 1) Deals 420, plus 25 times your level, damage to target enemy minion or pet. If you ever try jungling, you're gonna be good friends with this spell.
Teleport (Level 1) After 4 seconds, teleports your champion to target friendly minion or turret. Good for quickly jumping to a tower that is under attack, not so good for escaping
Cleanse (Level 2) Removes all stuns, slows, taunts, fears, snares, sleeps, and immobilizers and lowers the duration of new ones applied by 65% for 3 seconds. One of the most useful spells around, taking off enemy crowd control is a big Fuck You and can save your ass.
Fortify (Level 4) Grants invulnerability to all Allied Turrets and causes them to attack 100% faster. While Fortify is ready to cast, you deal 9 bonus damage to minions. Situational, but not terrible.
Clarity (Level 6) Restores 160 + 30 x level Mana to your champion and 50% of that to nearby allies. Very useful depending on the champion.
Ignite (Level 7) Ignite is a DoT that targets a single champion, dealing 50 damage plus 20 damage per level over 5 seconds. Ignores enemy magic resist, and reduces healing and regeneration by 50% Good for getting the kill on that jerk who manages to get out of range with 50 health left.
Rally (Level 8) Summons a beacon with 200 + 25 x level health for 15 seconds which increases allied attack damage by 10-35. Situational and rarely seen, it has some cool gimmick uses.
Clairvoyance (Level 10) Reveals an area of the map for 6 seconds, has a relatively short cooldown. Very useful for finding out if the enemy is sneaking up on you or an ally.
Flash (Level 12) Teleports your champion to your cursor's location. This has a very short range but can be absolutely vital for positioning an attack or jumping over a wall to escape.

For new players I recommend Ghost and Exhaust. Taking Heal or Revive is for noobs who are going to lose.

Well that covers the meta-game, let’s look at the actual gameplay.
Here's the map of Summoner's Rift, this is the map you will play on most of the time because the 3v3 map kinda sucks.
lolsummonersriftmap.png
Black Dots are Towers
Red Dots are Inhibitors
Red X is the Nexus
Creeps:
1.Golems
2.Dragon
3.Lizard Elder
4.Wraith
5.Ancient Golem
6.Wolfs
7.Wraiths
8.Lizard Elder
9.Golems
10.Wolfs
11.Ancient Golem
12.Baron

Wolves, Wraiths and Golems (1,4,6,7,9,10) are basic creeps that don’t attack you unless you hit them first. They are a little tougher than the creeps in lanes, so you should approach with caution unless you’re level 5+ or very confident that you can kill them quickly.
The other creeps are even stronger, but they give temporary buffs that make killing them worth it.
Lizard Elder (3,8) - Lizard Elder provides a buff that gives your physical and auto attacks a slow with a DoT component
Ancient Golem (5,11) - Ancient golem provides a buff that increases mana regeneration and decreases cooldown time of champion abilities
Baron (12) - Killing baron usually takes at least 2 to 3 late game dudes, and provides a crazy buff that I don't have the stats on right now.
Dragon (2) - gives the whole team XP and Gold if

Okay Great, how about some gameplay?
Destroying your enemies:You must destroy each lane's towers in order, the other towers will be invulnerable until the one before them is destroyed. In order to destroy the opponents base at least one inhibitor must be down.
Destroying an inhibitor causes your nexus to spawn super creeps in that lane. Super Creeps can be hard for even a max level champion to kill quickly.
Inhibitors will respawn after five minutes, so work fast to make the most of your super minions.

Champion Level:Every time your champion levels up their stats increase and they get a skill point.
Each champion has 4 unique abilities. 3 available from the start that go up to rank 5 and 1 ultimate that becomes available at level 6 that goes up to rank 3. Your ultimate is generally your strongest skill, and understanding each champion’s ultimate is very important.

Items:Each champion has 6 item slots and your choice of items is what really makes the difference between being a champ or being a chump.
Many items often can be combined together to build stronger items. It is best to buy the individual components as you can afford them because:
  • Buying a partial piece subtracts the cost from the cost of the completed item
  • The bonuses from the smaller items will still have a big impact your performance.
If all of your item slots are full but you have an item you’re trying to finish DO NOT FRET:
  • As long as you already have at least one component you can buy the complete item as soon as you have enough gold.
Some items have activated abilities that can be very powerful. To use activated items or consumables like potions, you can click them OR use 1-6 on the number line like a pro.

For tips on item builds, talent builds, and skilling orders go to www.leaguecraft.com or www.mobafire.com and the wiki

ITEMS YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD ABOUT BUYING BECAUSE THEY ARE AWFUL
Tiamat: The extra AOE damage really doesn't amount to anything in a teamfight. Additionally the +15 Health Regen and +4 Mana Regen really aren't that great compared to what you could buy. For the 2070 gold you spend on it you can buy a BF Sword (+50 Damage, and it builds into cool stuff) and it would be way more effective.

Berzerker Greaves: There are better attack speed items, and since the movement speed on boots does not stack you only grab one boots item it is strongly recommend you get Mercury's Treads. They are are a little more pricey, but are considered the best boots in the game because being stunned for 1.2 seconds instead of 2 seconds means the world.

Items are cool. What about Champions?
Every champion has a couple descriptors listed to try and give a quick idea about what they do.
Sometimes these accurately describe a champion and sometimes they are outright lies, so it never hurts to ask if you aren't sure.
Melee - Basic attacks can only be used in close combat
Ranged - Basic attacks can be used from a distance
Assassin - Damage-based champion that has at least one ability to close distance between enemy targets quickly; champions with this attribute tend to die much quicker when targeted.
Fighter - Damage-based champion that performs better in large group fights.
Mage - Damage-based champion whose abilities are typically ranged and greatly affected by ability power.
Support - Champion with abilities that aid in team fights and usually aren't good in 1v1 fights.
Tank - Champion that can act as a group shield due to their above-average health, armor, and magic resist; usually they have low damage output.
Carry - A champion that typically starts out with below average stats and becomes above average as a match progresses. The name comes from how they can "carry" their team at the
end of the game if their team carries them at the beginning.
Disabler - A champion that can disable enemy champions with their abilities (sometimes labeled disable instead of disabler in-game).
Farmer - A champion that can easily kill enemy minions and neutral monsters, thus allowing them to build in-match gold faster.
Flee - A champion that possesses abilities that enable it to escape from combat.
Haste - A champion that can temporarily speed up self, allies, or both.
Heal - A champion that can heal either itself, its allies, or both.
Ninja - This champion uses energy instead of mana (energy recharges quickly and is not effected by mana and mana regeneration stat increases, and has a fixed maximum amount that
can be increased by runes).
Nuke - A champion that can deal a significant amount of damage in a short time.
Pet - A champion that can create a non-champion ally (sometimes controllable).
Pusher - A champion that can quickly destroy enemy towers and inhibitors due to their ability to summon additional units or deal damage to an area of enemy creeps.
Recommended - A champion that Riot Games staff would recommend for people new to League of Legends.
Silence - A champion that can silence enemy champions; champions affected by silence cannot use abilities or summoner spells during its duration.
Snare - A champion that can snare enemy champions; champions affected by snares cannot move during its duration.
Slow - A champion that can slow enemy champions; champions affected by slows move slower during its duration.
Stealth - A champion that can become invisible to enemies (other than when near turrets, vision wards, and enemy champions with an Oracles buff).
Stun - A champion that can stun enemy champions; champions affected by stuns cannot move, attack, use abilities, or use summoner spells other than Cleanse.
Teleport - A champion that can teleport to other locations or champions; champions with abilities that are similar to the summoner spell Flash do not have this attribute.
Tough - A champion that lives longer than usual in combat.
Champion Stats:
Each champion has a stat window that looks like this:
lolstats.png

Attack Damage governs your champion’s auto attack damage and Ability Power governs any of your champion’s abilities.
Armor protects against Physical Damage and Magic Resist protects against Magic Damage.
I think everything else is pretty self explanatory.

Things Not to Do/Things to get your opponent to do:
Over Committing: Don't chase that kill just because you want it so bad, it's usually going to end up in you dead. Bide your time, be patient, and own when you know you can.

Feeding: Feeding is dying a whole lot and giving your opponents gold allowing them to spank you even more efficiently and get even more gold. If you're having trouble with the opposing characters on a lane, maybe ask to switch with someone else.

Being Baited: Oftentimes one wounded character will attempt to lead you into a trap where multiple dudes will jump out of the bushes and sodomize you. Don't let it be you on the ground in a puddle of fluids and broken dreams.

2x39jD4.jpg
Sterica on

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Olaf is the best and you know it

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    League of OP-Stealers

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    this OP has far too much content

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
    edited March 2011
    Soal have you clicked the SE++ player list? It is just for you

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wriggle's is so undercosted it's funny

PiptheFair on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    everybody bitch about the minion changes

they are getting changed next patch

M.D. on
    edited March 2011
    so complain about that

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    edited March 2011
    caster minions OP

always casting never stopping

I need to like play with more people, so far I just solo queue normal and my normal folks I played with dont really play so much now :(

M.D. on
    edited March 2011
    You should play with people it is the best, lots are usually on around 9ish est

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    pip's face is overcosted

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    we had plenty of team fights last night. I took all the kills from pip because I'm so much awesomer

Jars on
    edited March 2011
    Corporate Logo should be banned for not spamming pikmin

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can play this now consistently and it is awesome.

Who among ye are brave enough to play with a terrible level 20?

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    edited March 2011
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Soal have you clicked the SE++ player list? It is just for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salvGu34JFw

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
    edited March 2011
    SLyM wrote: »
    I can play this now consistently and it is awesome.

Who among ye are brave enough to play with a terrible level 20?

I'm also terrible and in my twenties

M.D. on
    edited March 2011
    i encourage everyone to give AD ryze a shot

its totally nuts

You are a sustained damage dealer who has to be on toes 100% of the time in a fight

Other dudes I find I am dependent on cooldowns a little much and don't do a lot in between (Like with poppy if I am not charging or hammering I am running around to set up my next charge). Ryze is almost always casting Q or W and in between you are looking for dudes to throw lightning at

I get so busy keeping up with making sure I get sheen procs and cast Q&W every time they are up that I even have trouble getting time to scroll the screen because I am so busy

its nuts

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you're a cutie

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    push malzahar is fun for that same reason

it isn't standing around waiting for last hits

it is trying to keep malefic visions constantly up

which pushes them out of the lane more, because it is being put on them as much as possible

super satisfying to have a sivir spell shield one only to have the next one that i put up preemptively hit her

Swill on
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nerf soal

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They need something like Wriggles for spellcasters

Bit of ap, bit of spellvamp, bit of armor or MR, free wards, and a jungle-shit-be-dead proc on cast

Ledneh on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    in the two games i played last night the minion changes seemed good

well, at least they seemed different and not bad

L|ama on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    edited March 2011
    internet handjob to whoever reports this post for aweseome

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
    edited March 2011
    that guy is pretty super dumb

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    will the gnt se++ war never end

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited March 2011
    goddamn jarvan is so fun

PiptheFair on
    edited March 2011
    Does he, like, actually do enough damage to be a credible worry

Or is he there just to piss the hell out of the enemy with knockups and slows, and your team with that ult

Ledneh on
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh hey.

There is a new one of these threads.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
    edited March 2011
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Does he, like, actually do enough damage to be a credible worry

Or is he there just to piss the hell out of the enemy with knockups and slows, and your team with that ult

oh hey can do plenty of damage

but he has ridic armor as a result of his e, so he can be tanky without ever actually building tanky items too

PiptheFair on
    edited March 2011
    When I build nasus I want to end up with a sheen to turn into a triforce, a tear to turn into a manamume, and some tanky items. What order do you guys think I should go for?

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    edited March 2011
    don't get a manamune

also buy a sheen on your first trip back

PiptheFair on
    edited March 2011
    I find I run oom really easy without a tear though, which is can be a giant problem when I can't use wither.

SLyM on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    RIOT SINGED

Meissnerd on
    edited March 2011
    uh, the sheen should give you plenty of mana

don't use skills so much? I guess

I've never really seen a nasus have mana problems unless he was just spamming shit

also, do you have mana/5 blues?

PiptheFair on
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alistar is pretty fun. Punting back into teammates is why that is fun.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
    edited March 2011
    I have a shitty mish-mash of shitty t1 runes. I just hit 20 and I'm buying good ones as I go.

SLyM on
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    teach me how to nidalee

i can't figure it out

build wise i think i've got the right idea

but as for playing her, ??

Swill on
  • SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Playing Nidalee: A Guide: A Dissertation

Be a huge bitch to everyone

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
    edited March 2011
    Swill wrote: »
    teach me how to nidalee

i can't figure it out

build wise i think i've got the right idea

but as for playing her, ??

Don't be in cougar in teamfights, heal and poke with Q from the outside

When not fighting, be a split-pushing bitch

Taunt the enemy whenever you get away with pounce spam by the skin of your teeth

Ledneh on
This discussion has been closed.