As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Don't Know JACK -- Get it for consoles, not PC. OP has more details.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    Kinda. They have a wired "base" receiver. Looks like it's IR to me, you have to point in the general direction of the receiver for it to work.

Yes, it's your basic IR setup. The receiver goes into one of the USB ports.

I've never had a problem, though. I even turn the controller sideways when doing Dis or Dat for quicker/easier reactions. Just don't put your hand over the transmitter window thingy.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times over, but I want to make sure since the OP has confused me.

The official word, as far as I knew, was that the Buzz controllers on PS3 were not supported by YDKJ. But there's this statement in the OP:
    The superior versions of this game are probably the PS3 and 360.

Big button controllers have support here, but not on PC. Additionally, the layout changes when the game autodetects you are using your nerdy trivia controller in order to make things easier for you. A nice touch, to be sure.

What are the big button controllers for the PS3, if not the Buzz buzzers?

While the "Big Button" controllers work on the 360 version of the game, there's no PS3 equivalent to those that is compatible. For whatever reason Jellyvision didn't support the Buzz controllers, though there's likely more of those out in consumers hands than the big button controllers.

scene-it-big-button-pad-2.jpg

Personally I bought a Scene It game specifically for those controllers to use with YDKJ, and I'm still trying to find a complete list of what games work with 'em, with little luck.

As far as I know your list o' games is:
    Scene-It
    Scene-It 2
    UNO
    1 vs 100 (when it was around)
    Wits and Wagers
    YDKJ

Hmm. I'm terrible at the Scene It games and I already own Uno so I guess I'll have to look into Wits & Wagers.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited March 2011
    $20 at Gamestop through next Thursday.

While I already own the 360 version, I'm thinking I might pick up the DS one for the girlfriend, as she doesn't own any of the consoles.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The other night, my friends and I finally saw the alternate question 2 intro, and the series of alternate question 4 intros.

We were fucking rolling.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

While I already own the 360 version, I'm thinking I might pick up the DS one for the girlfriend, as she doesn't own any of the consoles.
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    So I actually saw a copy of the DS version on the shelf at GameStop while I was picking up my Celebi.

Two players max, using the same DS (one used the D pad, the other the buttons). WTF. Way to phone that one in, guys.

DS seems one step below the PC version (less questions, same limitations) but (slightly more) portable.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone know if they've fixed the TERRIBLE Jack Attack lag on the PS3? I don't want to bother playing online until it is. It is kind of the worst.

Medium Dave on
    edited March 2011

So I actually saw a copy of the DS version on the shelf at GameStop while I was picking up my Celebi.

Two players max, using the same DS (one used the D pad, the other the buttons). WTF. Way to phone that one in, guys.

DS seems one step below the PC version (less questions, same limitations) but (slightly more) portable.

But no Jack < DS Jack.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My only question re: DS Jack...
    Does it contain the same episodes as it's home console brethren?
    I don't want to spoil myself with repeats.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Probably, just less of them.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope you fuckers are happy. I spent $140 for this game and 2 PS3 controllers last night. I played it with some friends and it was a blast. We were laughing are asses off and just having a good time.

So thank you all for the heads up.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Picked this up this weekend and invited my dad over. he had all the Jack games for PC.

Played 4-5 episodes, and holy shit its hilarious AND fun.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • sassfactor4sassfactor4 Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did a little two player local play this weekend.

Its somewhat frustrating that you cant play on xbox live with more than 1 local player, using xbox live to fill out the roster of four.

The gaminess aspects of this are kind of weird, in that the "bad answer of the game" is such a huge swing, and the Jack Attack pretty much invalidates the previous scores.

But that all said I had a good time and will trivia often.

sassfactor4 on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jack Attack always had the possibility of invalidating everything else. And previously there were the Impossible Questions.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    man I miss the impossible questions

they were sadly only in volume 3

the pirate questions from volume 6 don't count

TheySlashThem on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you're actually keeping score during YDKJ, you're doing it wrong.

Figgy on
    edited March 2011
    Had a YDKJ party with some of my buddies today. All of us are veterans of PAX Prime, but can't afford PAX East, so we called it "Well have our OWN PAX! With You Don't Know Jack! And Hookers!"

hammered out like 10 episodes, good times.

Raiden333 on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Think I'll get this for PS3. Wish I had seen that sale, though!

So with these Scene-It controllers, which games have them? Does Bright Lights, Big Screen? Move control would be fun.

edit: Never mind, answered my own question. PS3 don't have those.

MichaelLC on
    edited March 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Think I'll get this for PS3. Wish I had seen that sale, though!

So with these Scene-It controllers, which games have them? Does Bright Lights, Big Screen? Move control would be fun.

edit: Never mind, answered my own question. PS3 don't have those.

It's actually $20 at Best Buy this week for all platforms (Except DS)

N8OCD.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, sweet. Thanks. Sounds like it's certainly worth $30, but 20 is even better.

MichaelLC on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sweet! This is out! Grabbing it for 360 later tomorrow. Gonna try best buy! 20 bucks sounds excellent.

SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, been meaning to use up an old BB gift card. Also, need something to play with the girlie.

edit: Wait, will this game tear my relationship asunder?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, been meaning to use up an old BB gift card. Also, need something to play with the girlie.

Are you better than her at trivia?

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Are you better than her at trivia?

Additionally, do either of have a need to win? Because if you can play together to enjoy the humor, you're fine. If either of you needs to win, it will end in heartache.

As it was stated so elegantly earlier in the thread, if you're looking at the score in this game, you're playing it wrong.

Houn on
    edited March 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    As it was stated so elegantly earlier in the thread, if you're looking at the score in this game, you don't know Jack.

Fix'd.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can agree with this fix.

Houn on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    question intro spoilers i guess
    the consecutive episodes where one of the 4s in the intro to question 4 is shot and then eventually replaced with the letter F was pretty much the best thing ever

Ah_Pook on
    edited March 2011
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    question intro spoilers i guess
    the consecutive episodes where one of the 4s in the intro to question 4 is shot and then eventually replaced with the letter F was pretty much the best thing ever

You need to play like 3 more episodes, it's not quite over yet.

Raiden333 on
    edited March 2011
    For PS3 users, the Move controllers will work - the buttons anyway.

I just had to resign to Controller #3, so nice if you don't have more DS3s.

MichaelLC on
  • eggwolioeggwolio Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    I hate to be the dude to register and bump a super old thread, but I'm hoping one of you folks can help me out. I found this thread a few weeks ago when I was considering buying the game and was really happy to see so many people stoked about a "new" YDKJ title...well, new a year ago. I'm late to the party, but just as stoked.

Somehow the stars aligned and my search for a cheap enough copy of the game ended up with me winning it in a weekly contest over at gamedealdaily dot com(insert spam dot jpeg here). What I didn't realize was that I was getting a disc only copy of the game. I'd piss and whine and complain, but that would be ridiculous. Free Jack is free Jack, even if he's naked.

What I'm wondering is if one of you fine people here might be willing to scan the boxart for me or even put it on thecoverproject site and I'll get it from there. I have a few disc only games which do not sit proudly on display with the rest of my collection, but this is Jack. Cookie deserves better. Right? Right.

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry again for the bump. Well, I'm only mostly sorry. Shouldn't you really get the game back out and play it again? You sure should.

EDIT: I'm a genius and failed to mention I'm looking for art for the 360 version.

eggwolio on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I've actually not played through every episode of this yet, and am willing to have a little YDKJ party with you guys sometime if anyone is interested.

Josu Ruckeru is my Gamertag.

edited April 2012
    I've actually not played through every episode of this yet, and am willing to have a little YDKJ party with you guys sometime if anyone is interested.

Josu Ruckeru is my Gamertag.

I'm not crazy about playing online because I always question the amount of lag, if any, during the final round's answering procedures.

Love playing it with the family though. The only videogame I've ever gotten my mother to play. Thank you big button pads.
    eggwolio wrote: »
    I hate to be the dude to register and bump a super old thread, but I'm hoping one of you folks can help me out. I found this thread a few weeks ago when I was considering buying the game and was really happy to see so many people stoked about a "new" YDKJ title...well, new a year ago. I'm late to the party, but just as stoked.

Somehow the stars aligned and my search for a cheap enough copy of the game ended up with me winning it in a weekly contest over at gamedealdaily dot com(insert spam dot jpeg here). What I didn't realize was that I was getting a disc only copy of the game. I'd piss and whine and complain, but that would be ridiculous. Free Jack is free Jack, even if he's naked.

What I'm wondering is if one of you fine people here might be willing to scan the boxart for me or even put it on thecoverproject site and I'll get it from there. I have a few disc only games which do not sit proudly on display with the rest of my collection, but this is Jack. Cookie deserves better. Right? Right.

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry again for the bump. Well, I'm only mostly sorry. Shouldn't you really get the game back out and play it again? You sure should.

EDIT: I'm a genius and failed to mention I'm looking for art for the 360 version.

I'll try to remember to bring my copy into work tomorrow to scan it for you. I have a scanner at home, but it's attached to an all-in-one printer that's setup wirelessly anyway.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I would love to play this online

Everyone I know, everyone, that I play with locally, absolutely loathes the game and thinks it's the worst trivia game

It is apparently "not funny" and "the last round is all that really matters"

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    They're wrong on the first part. Kinda right on the second. I absolutely DESTROY everyone during the Jack Attack. I don't know why or how, but I can make those instant reactions faster than anyone and it really kills the enjoyment for everyone else after a handful of games. I mean, from an insane negative last place to every single question right first place, destroy.

Medium Dave on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    They're wrong on the first part. Kinda right on the second. I absolutely DESTROY everyone during the Jack Attack. I don't know why or how, but I can make those instant reactions faster than anyone and it really kills the enjoyment for everyone else after a handful of games. I mean, from an insane negative last place to every single question right first place, destroy.

I'm that way with Scene It. Even movies I've never seen, or have no buisness knowing anyting about, I'm some how an expert in. I'm banned from playing Scene It with anyone I know.

I sold my copy of Jack a while back cause I had no one to play with :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited April 2012
    eggwolio wrote: »

@eggwolio

Scanned it, sir: http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r365/nswyers/knowjack.png

NSF56K

Edit: Well shit, Photobucket resized it down to a meg. Uploading elsewhere.

Here: http://www.4shared.com/photo/u4fH4sVz/knowjack.html

Figgy on
    You guys are swell! Thanks to figgy and maximumzero(for the intent to scan before figgy beat you to it).

Friendly people round these parts. :)

Same problem with me here.
    House rules: Nocren ALWAYS answers last for the first 10 questions.
    Nocren, if he knows the answer to the Attack question, must wait until the last possible moment before buzzing in.

Most of the time, I still win :D
    But at least the scores are a little closer then me at $60K and my friends all hovering around the $1-2K range.

newSig.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    well since this thread has been bumped anyway

I wonder when the next jack is going to be

assuming there will be one

I had the PC version so I don't know how the DLC for this one panned out

Maybe a bit overpriced? $10 got you a couple of new episodes and there were several packs.

I also picked up the iOS version for singleplayer Jack on the go.

newSig.jpg
    Maybe the price dropped over time, but the DLC doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. $5/pack on 360. Each pack has ten episodes, and there's four packs. Original retail on the game was $30, I think, for 73 episodes. $20 more for 40 doesn't seem too bad to me, but I might be biased since I got the game for free. I'll certainly be buying them. Every little bit I can do to encourage them to make a sequel. Which I'll hopefully buy sometime before it's been out for a year and threads about it on the internet are super wicked old.