As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] Boring Trade Deadline, since it wasn't last week..

• 3v3v Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WINNIPEG -- The coaches of a Winnipeg high school hockey team have been suspended after they pulled their goalie to throw a playoff game to eliminate a rival from championship contention.

"High school athletics are about the spirit of the game," said Winnipeg High School Hockey League president Mike Wake, who is also the principal of the offending school, Westwood Collegiate.

Wake planned to be on Westwood's bench Friday afternoon for a tie-breaker against the team it tried to bump from the semifinals, the Oak Park Raiders.

"Yes, there's a conflict of interest, but I had to act," he said Friday.

The offending game happened Thursday.

There was a fair amount of consternation in the stands as parents, players and other coaches watched Westwood, ahead 3-2 in a game against College Jeanne Sauve, pull its goalie as time wound down.

Jean Sauve then scored the tying and winning goals and, with their relative positions in the standings, regular-season champion Oak Park was bumped from the A-Division series.

The Jean Sauve win ensured a rematch with Westwood in the semifinals, rather than Westwood having to take on Oak Park to move on to the championship.

Wake decided to let Jeanne Sauve retain the win and a spot in Saturday's semifinal and then have Westwood and Oak Park face off to decide the opponent. He said other schools in the 31-team league were consulted and agreed with his decision.

Westwood's volunteer coaches have been suspended for the rest of the season. None could be reached for comment.

Wake said no decisions have been made beyond that.

"Right now, I'm just trying to get through today."

He said credit goes to Westwood's players, who didn't like to see the game thrown and wanted to play the tie-breaker.

"These kids are winners already because they've stepped up and, as a principal, I'm very proud of them ... Unfortunately some adults got in the way of the kids.

"In the National Hockey League or the NBA or major league (baseball), if you've got a pennant clinched or a series wrapped up, yeah, maybe you don't put in your starting pitcher or starting quarterback," said Wake.

"Teams do do that. But to pull a goalie was just in total contradiction of what high school athletics stand for and what we stand for as a school."

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/Youth_Hockey_Controversy_Los_Angeles-117388693.html

Really coaches? Really..

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    high school hockey is srs business.

also Taylor Hall is out for the rest of the season because he decided to be a "tough guy" and got beat up by Dorsett last night.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »

also Taylor Hall is out for the rest of the season because he decided to be a "tough guy" and got beat up by Dorsett last night.

I guess if you're a Jackets fan, you look for a 'victory' in whatever you can get. LOL @ that being getting 'beat up'.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited March 2011
    I guess if you're an Oilers fan, you look for a 'victory' in whatever you can get. LOL @ that being a 'fight'

tell Hall it's stupid to drop the gloves. it gets scorers hurt.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No, I see a victory in winning a game which is what they did against your team. I believe it was 4-2.

Hall can do what he wants. He's a big enough boy to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey morgenstern, how about not being a bad Canadian hockey fan.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really wanted Ottawa to win tonight. Would've gotten them just 5 points behind the Avs and it would've been nice to see them hold off the Rangers for the Leafs' sake.

Just when I wanted to see Anderson win again too.

Jayricho on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Don't be an ass

tofu on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tofu wrote: »

Don't be an ass

Yeah, I didn't see Hall's face looking too beat up, nor did I see Dorsett applying the Ankle-Lock submission in the fight. The injury is a high ankle sprain from a random awkard fall that could easily have happened just about anytime in a game, fight or not. Dorsett really had very little to do with it.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited March 2011
    perhaps I overstated the result of the fight, but my point was that Hall went after Dorsett, who is a known fighter. the two spun to the ground as often happens in a hockey fight and now the rookie misses the rest of the year. it was a stupid decision for him to make and he's now suffering the consequences. a similar scenario happened to Brassard his first year in the league when he was playing extremely well and it severely set back his progress as anyone can see three seasons later.

and before you decide to mock me for being a "loser" fan of a "loser" team, know this: I was born an Ohio sports fan. There is literally nothing terrible that can happen to any of my teams that hasn't already happened a thousand times over to another. The mere fact that I continue to have emotions is unsettling.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Meh, players collide and fall over all the time, it is pretty much the essence of hockey, you made out like Dorsett caused the injury, which just isn't factual. Unless maybe he slew footed Hall, which I don't think he did, and would be super dirty.

Yeah, it is probably not wise for Hall to be fighting, but maybe he wants to be an Iginla style star, who will throw down from time to time. Oh well, its not like the Oilers were in a playoff race or anything.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited March 2011
    Matrias wrote: »
    Hey morgenstern, how about not being a bad Canadian hockey fan.

What the hell are you on about?

Morgenstern on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone else catch that bullshit penalty shot in the Columbus @ Calgary game? What the fuck was the ref calling?

Nova_C on
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Provide me with a Tube of the You persuasion, I'm feeling slothful.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »

Video of both penalties are here, you lazy bum :P. Kipper stopped both of them, so ultimately, the complaints fall on deaf ears.

quovadis13 on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I guess if you're an Oilers fan, you look for a 'victory' in whatever you can get. LOL @ that being a 'fight'

tell Hall it's stupid to drop the gloves. it gets scorers hurt.

Yeah I didn't see the game, but I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck Hall was doing.

I mean he got the Gordie Howe hat-trick...great?...but now he's out for the rest of the season. Ankle injuries aren't funny either.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited March 2011
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Rikushix wrote: »

Video of both penalties are here, you lazy bum :P. Kipper stopped both of them, so ultimately, the complaints fall on deaf ears.

Holy shit. What on earth was that second penalty shot for?!

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The second one only makes sense if he ruled he threw his stick.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So is anyone else starting to think Crosby's carrier might be at an end? 2 months out for a concussion is starting to push the envelope on a 'recovery' period.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    edited March 2011
    So is anyone else starting to think Crosby's carrier might be at an end? 2 months out for a concussion is starting to push the envelope on a 'recovery' period.

No?

As long as they don't push him to come back early, before he is fully recovered

tofu on
    edited March 2011
    It's more a reflection of our increasing understanding of how serious concussions are.

enlightenedbum on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it is not like Patrice Bergeron missed like a season and a half then came back to resume his "carrier"

Burtletoy on
    edited March 2011
    I don't remember if this was posted in here but they took a look at Bob Probert's brain and found evidence of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Av5qBLQ8Xz7VvqwL7h5MdWF7vLYF?slug=ap-probert-brainstudy

tofu on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

From what I heard, the only thing keeping him away is that they want to make sure he's 100%.

Which, according to Yahoo and other sites, means he has to show no signs of symptoms for 10 days.

Which, after suffering a concussion after 2 straight hits to the head in 2 straight games, is a whole lot easier said than done.

Trust me, I want him back just as much as any Pens fan, but I want him back 100%. If it means he's out the rest of the season, but comes back next season and leads the Pens to the Stanley Cup, I'm all for it.

Sweeney Tom on
    edited March 2011
    So between the both of them, Vancouver and LA are 0 for 11 on the powerplay. LA is about to go on the twelfth.

Jesus.

13th now. Good god.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
    edited March 2011
    These L.A. announcers are fucking morons. When Henrik gets nudged into Jonathan Quick and gets called for goalie interference, they say that he wasn't pushed (or it was "only a little push"). But when Danny pushes the same amount on Doughty and then proceeds to score on the rebound, they're irate that he wasn't penalized.

Mind you, Doughty, Quick and the rest of the Kings were irate too. But they're going to be regardless of the outcome.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Canucks win

Thanks for nothing Kings!

tofu on
    edited March 2011
    Hey, look at the silver lining, your lead in the division is even more crystallized.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Homer announcers are homers? I'm shocked.

enlightenedbum on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That was a good game. I shudder to think how it would have gone with last years PK. LA had very little trouble scoring in the post-season.

Also thanks for making me feel less supersticious, Nucks.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    edited March 2011
    Mike Rupp just punched the shit out of Thornton.

That's a hell of a bruise.

Sweeney Tom on
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Less than 5 minutes and the Leafs are down to the Blackhawks 2-0. They're not looking good tonight.

Jayricho on
    edited March 2011
    2 fights in 10 minutes.

I must be watching a Penguins/Bruins game.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Less than 5 minutes and the Leafs are down to the Blackhawks 2-0. They're not looking good tonight.

What the hell is up with them tonight?

Mind you, they are pretty overdue for a blowout.

Sharp101 on
    edited March 2011
    Darren Helm remains ridiculously fast.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    Welp, that Pens OT win was the perfect end to a perfect day.

Sweeney Tom on
    edited March 2011
    There are still three periods, Red Wings.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    They forgot again. Blew a three goal lead.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    Maybe next time you want to just shoot on Dubnyk yourself, Gilbert, instead of giving it to the Avs players.

Morgenstern on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Very good game by the Habs against the Lightning. Well deserved win. 4 wins in a row since they got Sopel, that move really helped stabilise the D. It also helps a lot than they are scoring 3-4 goals a game now instead of 1-2.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg