As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• Options
    AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »
    Angrypasta wrote: »
    I just checked the Westin website, and there are no reservations listed under my name/credit card number, despite the fact that it was there just a few days ago.

The onPeak website also has "THIS HOTEL IS CUT OFF" in big red letters next to my reservation now.

Should I be freaking out? Because I totally am.

Hmm I have the same thing for both my reservations. I'd imagine this means they've cutoff taking more reservations for the hotel.

If you're concerned I'd suggest calling OnPeak. Their contact info should be in the email confirmation you received, and on the hotel reservation web page.

at this point i would imagine onpeak has pretty much nothing to do with the reservation, you might want to check with the hotel. hopefully, they're just not listing it on the site because it's too late to make any changes. i'm scared to check mine!

EDIT: checked mine on the westin site, it's not there either. nervous. i'm really glad i printed the confirmation back when it was showing up, so whatever happens i can definitely prove i had it. i'm sure it's fine though (bites nails).

Haha, actually that makes me feel better too - I can't imagine BOTH of our reservations would just disappear into thin air. Unless the Westin is conspiring against us.

Angrypasta on
  • Options
    Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm staying at the Westin

does anyone have any recommendations for parking? We're driving up from Philadelphia and we realized this week that the hotel parking is $32 a DAY! :shock: That's mad expensive tbh! An extra $96 just for parking for 3 days is pretty psychotic. I never even heard of paying for hotel parking...normally that's just included in your stay.

Any other options?? O_o

Kiss Me GoodBye on
    SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011

does anyone have any recommendations for parking? We're driving up from Philadelphia and we realized this week that the hotel parking is $32 a DAY! :shock: That's mad expensive tbh! An extra $96 just for parking for 3 days is pretty psychotic. I never even heard of paying for hotel parking...normally that's just included in your stay.

Any other options?? O_o

it's pretty typical for a nice hotel in a city actually... If you're driving into the city your other options are to park outside the city at a T stop and riding in.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »

Any other options?? O_o

it's pretty typical for a nice hotel in a city actually... If you're driving into the city your other options are to park outside the city at a T stop and riding in.

We'll probably be doing that then. It's just so weird to me haha - I've traveled a lot around cities I guess I always stayed at the cheap ones...we decided to go a bit pricey this time (this is my first convention).

Kiss Me GoodBye on
    SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • Options
    RoyalRoyal Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Only a very few at the Back Bay huh? Well, that where I'll be first time to PAX so I wasn't really sure on how the whole staying at the hosting hotel would work. I'd like to hear from those staying there though maybe we 5 can get together or something? I have no clue, I've been playing Pokemon Black for the last few hours and my brain is fried.

Royal on
    steam_sig.png
    "What we play is life."
    - Louis Armstrong
    Those Gentlemen Gamers
  • Options
    PascualPascual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Angrypasta wrote: »
    I just checked the Westin website, and there are no reservations listed under my name/credit card number, despite the fact that it was there just a few days ago.

The onPeak website also has "THIS HOTEL IS CUT OFF" in big red letters next to my reservation now.

Should I be freaking out? Because I totally am.

I'm staying at The Boston Park Plaza Hotel & Towers and had "THIS HOTEL IS CUT OFF" in big red letters next to my reservation too. So I just rang the hotel and they have my reservation and everything is cool.

Pascual on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, still no reservation info on the Westin website, and the damnable in-house group reservation department closed at 4:30.

Anybody else missing their reservation filed under Last Name/CC# on the Westin website?

Angrypasta on
  • Options
    TuftTuft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mine was on the website previously, checked again today and it wasnt.

Called the hotel (Phone: 617-532-4600 • Toll-Free: 1-800-937-8461) to confirm and they had it. Ask them for an email confirmation / # if you're still worried once you talk to them.

Tuft on
  • Options
    cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Any other options?? O_o

We'll probably be doing that then. It's just so weird to me haha - I've traveled a lot around cities I guess I always stayed at the cheap ones...we decided to go a bit pricey this time (this is my first convention).

You could try seeing if any other hotels have complimentary parking in the area, and if they do, asking if any paxers staying there would be willing to claim your car, since most people aren't going to have their own car.

cynthetic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tuft wrote: »
    Mine was on the website previously, checked again today and it wasnt.

Called the hotel (Phone: 617-532-4600 • Toll-Free: 1-800-937-8461) to confirm and they had it. Ask them for an email confirmation / # if you're still worried once you talk to them.

Confirmed! Everything is a go. Thanks Tuft.

Angrypasta on
  • Options
    daegandaegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    did anyone staying at the renaissance get an email from the hotel?

daegan on
  • Options
    MrGone1980MrGone1980 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, I just wanted to add to the earlier posts: The Westin is NOT showing my reservation. I called them tonight and they do not see an active reservation under my name or credit card. I'm freaking out a little bit here...but the woman I spoke with said that I should call OnPeak first thing in the morning and straighten it out. She didn't sound worried.

My reservation is showing just fine with OnPeak, I have an e-mail confirmation from them as well. Are other people in this same boat still? Is the Westin just late posting the information to their system?

I'm calling tomorrow first thing from work...

EDIT: And I mean the BCEC-attached one, in case that wasn't clear.

MrGone1980 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    MrGone1980 wrote: »
    Hey, I just wanted to add to the earlier posts: The Westin is NOT showing my reservation. I called them tonight and they do not see an active reservation under my name or credit card. I'm freaking out a little bit here...but the woman I spoke with said that I should call OnPeak first thing in the morning and straighten it out. She didn't sound worried.

My reservation is showing just fine with OnPeak, I have an e-mail confirmation from them as well. Are other people in this same boat still? Is the Westin just late posting the information to their system?

I'm calling tomorrow first thing from work...

EDIT: And I mean the BCEC-attached one, in case that wasn't clear.

Did you call the group reservations manager? or the front desk? You want the group reservations manager and make sure you mention the con.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    daegan wrote: »
    did anyone staying at the renaissance get an email from the hotel?
    Call them at 1-617-338-4111 and ask for their in-house reservation department. Tell the nice lady working there you'd like to confirm your reservation and that you're with the PAX block. She'll confirm it for you and send you a confirmation email if you like.

She's there M-F during normal business hours.

NeuralLink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the clarification folks. I'll call them today and keep hope alive til then.

MrGone1980 on
  • Options
    Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If anyone is in a panic I believe the Harborside still has rooms available. A friend of mine booked there yesterday.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/harborside-inn-boston

Certain.shade.of.green on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Just letting yall know it's a go. Get this: they couldn't find my reservation because they had my name misspelled. WTF?!?!

Got my confirmation e-mail and it's just a phenomenally lengthy 3 days till I'm PAXbound.

Let's do the damn thing!

MrGone1980 on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was having the "no reservations on file" thing on the Westin's website, so I called them and they sent me the confirmation email. She mentioned that with the group reservation through an outside site thing, it rarely shows up correctly on the hotel's website. Perhaps that is something OnPeak would have to address.

tl;dr: If you're worried, call the Westin. Either of the numbers in the TOTP work.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well I'm glad I called... apparently there was a fuckup between OnPeak and the Westin. Even though I booked a two double bed room with double occupancy in the first couple minutes the OnPeak reservations were up way back in the fall, they booked me at the westin for single occupancy in a King bed room.

So I suppose this is a warning to make sure to not only check your reservations, make sure it's correct. I'm not sure whose fault this is (between OnPeak or the Westin) but someone royally screwed the pooch here.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well I'm glad I called... apparently there was a fuckup between OnPeak and the Westin. Even though I booked a two double bed room with double occupancy in the first couple minutes the OnPeak reservations were up way back in the fall, they booked me at the westin for single occupancy in a King bed room.

So I suppose this is a warning to make sure to not only check your reservations, make sure it's correct. I'm not sure whose fault this is (between OnPeak or the Westin) but someone royally screwed the pooch here.

The fact that there was a spelling error on MrGone1980's reservation makes me think someone keyed all these in by hand. Hello and welcome to 1975, I guess.

Shoot an email to pax_questions and let them know that either OnPeak or the Westin dropped the ball here.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah some other folks are having a similar issue. Calling OnPeak so that someone's working it on both sides.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah some other folks are having a similar issue. Calling OnPeak so that someone's working it on both sides.

FWIW, mine came through correctly. They even got the room share name that I added on the last possible day to do so. So it isn't a complete failure.

ETA: Not that it doesn't suck that they got a bunch wrong. Because it really does.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah after speaking with OnPeak I got referred to their events manager. He's aware of my situation and at least one other that's almost identical. If anyone else finds that they have the same issue, call OnPeak and describe your problem and mention that you heard others had the same problem.

Will post later with updates if I get them.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I am one of those other folks. I called and got both sides looking at the issue.

One commonality between Zerzhul's reservation and mine is that we both had double bed double occupancy entered, but neither of us entered a second name for that second person.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If anyone is in a panic I believe the Harborside still has rooms available. A friend of mine booked there yesterday.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/harborside-inn-boston

We booked a room at the harborside after we realized that we'd fumbled the reservations months ago. We've stayed there before, its a nice hotel right next to Fanueil Hall. Parking however isn't directly at the hotel but they offer a discounted rate at a garage right around the corner.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah after speaking with OnPeak I got referred to their events manager. He's aware of my situation and at least one other that's almost identical. If anyone else finds that they have the same issue, call OnPeak and describe your problem and mention that you heard others had the same problem.

Will post later with updates if I get them.

Ok, update: After multiple phone calls today my situation has been straightened out. Apparently the Westin overbooked rooms with 2 double beds. Even though I reserved a room with 2 adults and 2 double beds, the Westin claimed that they only got a request under my name from OnPeak for a single adult. Therefore they switched my room to a 1 King bed room. This is likely due to the fact that I did not list the name of the 2nd adult on my reservations since I was not 100% sure of it at the time.

I *HIGHLY* suggest that if you did not list names on your OnPeak reservation, that you check with the Westin about your room. I really hope that more people aren't going to get fucked by this. This sounds eerily similar to the situation I heard about a couple years ago at Prime. Obviously there was a miscommunication, but nobody is admitting blame. My situation is ironed out, but I'm wondering if this should be communicated through more official channels.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Update #2. Apparently non-PAX people are now actively being bumped out to fix reservations. According to OnPeak and the Westin, there are about 30ish reservations that are being affected at the Westin. Though the Westin did not admit fault to me directly when I spoke with them, it was implied by the folks at OnPeak that the Westin *did* admit fault to OnPeak, which is why they are hastily attempting to rectify the situation.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That is some messed up goosery, zerzhul. I'm glad you're all straightened out (go team upstate NY!). I'd say definitely escalate that to the pax_questions contact email, with everything you've learned, to make sure the appropriate people end up aware of it.

antherem on
  • Options
    tortured3tortured3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i'm staying at the Park Plaza hotel...haha team upstate NY i'm coming from Syracuse

tortured3 on
    grym & kvlt
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Update #2. Apparently non-PAX people are now actively being bumped out to fix reservations. According to OnPeak and the Westin, there are about 30ish reservations that are being affected at the Westin. Though the Westin did not admit fault to me directly when I spoke with them, it was implied by the folks at OnPeak that the Westin *did* admit fault to OnPeak, which is why they are hastily attempting to rectify the situation.

This scares me, as I've registered through the hotel itself.

Heleor on
  • Options
    The Smartest Man?The Smartest Man? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just checked into Park Plaza an hour ago. It's nice, even though the room is starting to show it's age.

The Smartest Man? on
    So it goes...
  • Options
    FuelFuel Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Has anyone had their reservation voluntarily confirmed? Or do you pretty much have to call if you're in the OnPeak reservation group?

I'm staying at the Westin Waterfront with my fiance, btw. :)

Parking and internet fees be damned!

Fuel on
  • Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They had our reservation wrong too...our 3-person reservation though OnPeak translated over to a 1-person reservation in Westin's system. Double bed was also switched to a king (not an issue in our case, as we are a couple + 1 friend and expected floor or cot use). Seems like the same error, since we didn't provide each occupant's name in the original reservation (just the cardholder's). Since we are honest folk/don't want hassles with keys, etc., we called to verify, said we are 3 and not 1, and now have to pay a higher rate per night than OnPeak quoted us originally. Expected, but an unwelcome surprise at this stage. Our request for early arrival was left off as well, but was added again no problem. Definitely some miscommunication going on, but luckily for us nothing too major.

FWIW, we didn't call OnPeak, we called Westin first and resolved things, with a nice new confirmation email reflecting the changes. Also, I wasn't the one on the phone fixing this, but the Westin people seemed very helpful (yay bright side).

Woo team upstate NY.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just checked into Park Plaza an hour ago. It's nice, even though the room is starting to show it's age.

This is good to hear. I will be there Thursday.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ixmasat wrote: »
    They had our reservation wrong too...our 3-person reservation though OnPeak translated over to a 1-person reservation in Westin's system. Double bed was also switched to a king (not an issue in our case, as we are a couple + 1 friend and expected floor or cot use). Seems like the same error, since we didn't provide each occupant's name in the original reservation (just the cardholder's). Since we are honest folk/don't want hassles with keys, etc., we called to verify, said we are 3 and not 1, and now have to pay a higher rate per night than OnPeak quoted us originally. Expected, but an unwelcome surprise at this stage. Our request for early arrival was left off as well, but was added again no problem. Definitely some miscommunication going on, but luckily for us nothing too major.

FWIW, we didn't call OnPeak, we called Westin first and resolved things, with a nice new confirmation email reflecting the changes. Also, I wasn't the one on the phone fixing this, but the Westin people seemed very helpful (yay bright side).

Woo team upstate NY.

If you booked through OnPeak for 3 people in a dual bed room, you should *not* be paying more money. OnPeak quoted you the correct group-rate price for triple occupancy.

Edit: People can be friendly while still doing the wrong thing. Everyone I talked to on both sides (Westin and OnPeak) were incredibly friendly. It's when people actually get me what I want that I am content with their service.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    MisterPlisskenMisterPlissken Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I just called the Renaissance Waterfont and they had my reservation still. I had booked in september though their website. And when I called just now I moved it to a single bed. Hopefully it decreases my chances of having to find a hotel after 6 o'clock.

MisterPlissken on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hm, something else must have happened since OnPeak has it as 1 person also. I actually remember there being a discrepancy while we were searching and booking. I don't recall exactly what happened, but we searched for a room, found one, noted the price of the room didn't change between two and three guests (incidentally, it was for a single double bed - not two - as we weren't sure if there would be a third at the time). We chose three just to have our bases covered. Or, so we thought. User error? Site error? Who knows. In any case - our mistake or theirs - water under the bridge, we have a room, and to be honest the price difference is negligible when split 3 ways.

Also: While I agree that getting what you ask for ensures you are content with service, there is nothing worse (for me) than getting what I want but enduring rude and/or difficult personnel. And I'm personally such a stress-ball when things go wrong that friendliness on the other end probably helps me more than some others. ;)

In other news...I've just been informed by my husband that I'm in charge of next year's reservations instead of him, since I tend to compulsively check, double-check, and triple-check everything up until the day we leave.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    gotcha, well at least there wasn't a discrepancy between onpeak and the westin for you.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    gotcha, well at least there wasn't a discrepancy between onpeak and the westin for you.

Indeed.

Also, FYI to anyone else that needs a roll-away bed at the Westin...not sure if it has been confirmed by anyone else yet, but they did let us reserve one over the phone.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ixmasat wrote: »
    Hm, something else must have happened since OnPeak has it as 1 person also. I actually remember there being a discrepancy while we were searching and booking. I don't recall exactly what happened, but we searched for a room, found one, noted the price of the room didn't change between two and three guests (incidentally, it was for a single double bed - not two - as we weren't sure if there would be a third at the time). We chose three just to have our bases covered. Or, so we thought. User error? Site error? Who knows. In any case - our mistake or theirs - water under the bridge, we have a room, and to be honest the price difference is negligible when split 3 ways.

do you mind sharing what the price difference was per night? i originally booked for double occupancy, but later found out we would have a third. cash is getting pretty tight at this point, so i'm wondering if i should confess and pay the difference or just make him stand in the corner while we check in.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png