As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unofficial PAX East 2011 Community DVD - We Need Volunteers!

ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front ProductionsLake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Sorry for the mess of a thread, but it's getting late, and we could use some help.

Hopefully by now many of you know who we are, and what we've done. If not, take a look at our PAX East 2010 thread or even our PAX Prime 2010 thread. Well, a good deal of the content on our DVD sets is only there because of you guys, the PAX community. We are only a small group of people, so our DVD's can be infinitely better with the help of more volunteers.

We're in a bit of a pickle for PAX East next weekend. There are events on and off the schedule that we would desperately love to include on our East 2011 set, but have no way of covering due to the number of cameramen we have. To start things off, posted in a spoiler below will be a small list of panels that we really want to have on film but will not be able to cover. So if anybody plans on attending any of these and is willing to film it for us, please let us know!

If you're interested in volunteering for more events or want to join our team, please PM me either here or on our website and I'll get you started. We really need more dedicated volunteers this time around, not only for the events listed below, but to help with the concerts. We specifically want somebody to be near the back of the room in front of the sound booth for wider shots and, more importantly, better audio capturing; so somebody with a decent microphone on their camera would be preferred, but anything works. The only reason we're worried about the audio is because of Benaroya Hall in Seattle for Prime last year; the audio, especially vocals, was absolutely horrible up in the front rows. I'm not expecting that to be the case this time, because we're using more of a traditional main theater, but you can never be too safe for something like that. Or even if there's a way to plugin to the soundboard (and if they would let us of course) that would be amazing too.

We could also use more people to specifically help us film the Video Game Orchestra. If any of you have seen our footage of them from last year, it's not hard to tell that we didn't have very many good angles. We are working with the main theater stage managers as well as VGO themselves to get things figured out so we can work out where we should place our cameramen, but ultimately we could use more than the three of us. There's more info on this in our own forum, which anybody who wants to volunteer will have access to.

Aside from filming help, we are also looking for volunteers to help us with post production; for this East project as well as Prime 2010. We could really use people like Audio Engineers, Photography producers, YouTube producers, maybe video editors, and more. A lot of it is easier than it sounds, but it's still too much for our small team to handle if we want to put together the highest possible quality product. If anybody wants to volunteer for anything specific or even general post production, let me know and you will get access to the appropriate areas of our forums where you can get all the details on everything.

Of course, as usual, we always need general photo and video submissions, of just about anything during PAX. So if you take some general photos or short videos of pretty much anything next weekend, feel free to submit them to us whenever you can, either via the submission tools on our website or if you upload them online somewhere, post the links in this thread. Everybody gets credit for their submissions, of course.

So please, anybody out there with a camcorder that's able to help us out in any way, let us know as soon as you can. Remember that you don't need to be a professional or even very experienced, hell I hardly knew what I was doing at all when I started this project, and look where it is now. :P

Anyway, here's the list of panels/events that we won't be able to get to that we specifically want:
PAX East Chiptune Showcase Part 1
Jamspace - Friday, 12:30pm - 3:30pm

OC ReMix: Making Sweet, Sweet Loveto Video Game Music Since 1999
Naga Theatre - Friday, 6:00pm -7:00pm

PAX East Chiptune Showcase Part 2
Jamspace - Saturday, 11:00am -2:00pm

Jamspace Concert (Brentafloss, Armcannon, Powerglove)
Jamspace - Saturday, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
(I would like this to be the highest priority, I would nearly kill to have this on film, and it pains me greatly to not be able to do it myself, as our team needs to be in line for the main concerts by the time this starts. If anybody or multiple people could get this all on film, we would love you forever! :P)

The LoadingReadyRunPanel
Wyvern Theatre - Saturday, 7:30pm -8:30pm

After Hours with Kris and Scott (Scott and Kris)
Manticore Theatre - Saturday, 9:30pm- 10:30pm

PAX East Chiptune Showcase Part 3
Jamspace - Sunday, 11:00am - 2:00pm

For anybody that read through all of this, has ever submitted anything to us or helped us out in any way before, has volunteered their time to the project, that is planning on helping us for East next weekend, thank you sooo very much. This project simply cannot be done without you guys. <3

Official Website
Twitter
Facebook

Unofficial PAX Prime 2010 Community DVD
Unofficial PAX East 2010 Community DVD
Unofficial PAX09 Community DVD
Unofficial PAX08 Community DVD

NSw0gum.png
Coldbrew on

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to be doing still photography again, so I'm happy to donate that to the project.
    I'll try to drag out the flash camcorder too.

macrogeek on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've never used a video camera or done any video editing or anything, so I can't help there.
    I always have my camera in my hand though, and will of course donate my pictures again.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't have a good camcorder, but I'm pretty active with the LRR community. Let me ask our people if there is someone who could record for you (I mean, it's an INTERNET SKETCH COMEDY website, I'm sure someone has a camcorder.)

feitocomfruta on
  • BinarySamuraiBinarySamurai Code Chef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ill be doing a combination of video and photo and I'd be happy to donate anything I think you might like. Since this is my first time going to pax I can't gaurentee being in some of the palces you need due to not knowing what I want to see yet.

BinarySamurai on
  • LelldorianxLelldorianx Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll be there with my media crew; anything we film that is worthy of viewing will be uploaded, I can share the footage. I'll have a 1080 camera @ 24mbps, so it's pretty nice :)

Lelldorianx on
    Editor @ GamersNexus.net
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sounds good, thanks a lot guys. And don't worry about not being able to get anything specific that we request, like I said we will accept and probably find a use for just about everything. Also, we've had a few people jump in to join our team and help cover some of the events we're having trouble with, so no worries, though it never hurts to have more. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • AnarchistAbeAnarchistAbe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will be around with my camera. I have a Nikon D3100, and will be taking lots of video and pics (I have 20GB worth of SDHC memory cards with me). I can only take 15min. chunks of video with it, but I will try to capture what I can.

You can be sure that I will upload some RAGE footage!!!

AnarchistAbe on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will be around with my camera. I have a Nikon D3100, and will be taking lots of video and pics (I have 20GB worth of SDHC memory cards with me). I can only take 15min. chunks of video with it, but I will try to capture what I can.

Awesome!

Keep in mind if you plan on attending either of the RAGE demo panels that they will likely "prevent" (or try to prevent) people from filming. That was the case at Prime last year anyway. Just an FYI.

I'm always up for seeing more of that game though.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't want to make any promises but I'll be bringing my Flip cam with me and I do plan on going to the Kris and Scott panel. However I dont know if Ill be able to record it all. The flip only records 2 hours and I'm sure I'll have recorded stuff earlier in the day, not to mention last year Scotts panel ran over by like 2 hours.

Jerkfish on
    edited March 2011
    Coldbrew wrote: »

Awesome!

Keep in mind if you plan on attending either of the RAGE demo panels that they will likely "prevent" (or try to prevent) people from filming. That was the case at Prime last year anyway. Just an FYI.

Thanks for the heads up!

On a side note, is there any specific resolution the crew wants out of the videos? I was planning on shooting in 24FPS 720P video, to save some room. But, I can shoot in full 1080P if you guys have a standard going, or something. Thanks!

AnarchistAbe on
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Coldbrew wrote: »

Awesome!

Thanks for the heads up!

On a side note, is there any specific resolution the crew wants out of the videos? I was planning on shooting in 24FPS 720P video, to save some room. But, I can shoot in full 1080P if you guys have a standard going, or something. Thanks!

I think the 24fps 720P would be great for us. I'll let Prinny and Coldbrew chime in though, since they are the experts.

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
    edited March 2011
    That's just fine. Anybody can film in 1080p if they want to, but we're going to down convert it anyway. Just as long as it's 16x9, whatever works for you should be okay with us. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ladydragonfly78ladydragonfly78 Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    So, can you use still photos too or are you just looking for video? I've got photog experience at conventions so I can definitely help out there.

ladydragonfly78 on
    edited March 2011
    If anybody needs a list of games that will be there (in order to plan to film/shoot them, or to plan your days around), I put up a thread that I have updated regularly ;)

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=137535

What? A little shameless self-promotion never hurt anyone...

AnarchistAbe on
    edited March 2011
    Hah, no that's perfectly fine, I'm going to try to get some Guild Wars 2 footage myself.

Also yes we do accept still photos! The more photos we have, the cooler our slide shows will be.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Community BluRay Project?

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited March 2011
    I wish. You can bet that as soon as Prime this year we could begin filming in true HD, we do have two camcorders capable of 1080p. There are a number of reason we aren't doing that yet, mainly because; we don't have the kind of money to be spending on more storage/batteries for the time being, or for blu-ray burners for that matter, and also because I don't think many people would enjoy downloading 25gb disc images, nor would everybody even be able to play them on their computers or have blu-ray burners to burn them.

Of course some people would be able to do this, so... sure, we'll film at least the concerts in 1080p, eventually.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ladydragonfly78ladydragonfly78 Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Awesome! My Nikon D7000 can do 1080P but only for 20 minutes. I'll definitely help out with pics. How do we get them to you?

ladydragonfly78 on
  • poisonxpoisonx Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll be willing to help with anything I graduated BU and got a certificate in filmmaking/photography. I'll also be bringing a Nikon D2X (tilt-shift lens only) but will have a Canon 30D with a pretty decent lens for closeups mainly portraits for anyone in costumes/cosplay... Will be taking a ton of pics I got 5 SD cards ready to go incase I go orgasm photo crazy....

as for youtube i'll be bringing a flip video and ipod touch 4G to take videos and upload them to my youtube page...

http://www.youtube.com/annihil88torr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/56791975@N03/

also very good and familiar with Final Cut Pro, Adobe Lightroom, and Cinematography.

shot this film and did all cinematography work on both films in college

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT9y4OAp53o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x44b_ys6jk4

poisonx on
  • poisonxpoisonx Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll try to get Gears of War 3 photos and video hopefully if someone is dressed up expect some insane shots of Marcus, and alot of tilt-shift photos which won't do you any good, but sunday night when I get home from PAX i'll setup a flickr account/website with all my pax photos and you can take what you want just want credit :)

poisonx on
    edited March 2011
    How do we get them to you?

If you upload your pics to a gallery or somewhere online, just post the link to it here, or in a PM to me. Or, if you're up for it / if you use Flikr, head over to our website and use the Flikr Pool link on the top bar. From there you should be able to add any photos from your account into ours, that will make things pretty easy.

poisonx:
    Looks good man. If you want to help out with any post production stuff then go ahead and register on our website and I can give you access to our post boards. Or if you would want to help us as part of the film crew, let me know and I can get ya in for that too.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • RebelsDawnRebelsDawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll gladly send you all the photo's and video's I take, I only have a simple digital camera but it still takes good photo's if it will help.

RebelsDawn on
  • crimsong19crimsong19 New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd love to help in some way! I might try to make the LRR panel and I'll definitely be at the Saturday concert. I might be at a bit of Friday's.

crimsong19 on
    PAX East status: Hotel [X] Three-day passes [] Two one-day passes [X] Cookie recipes [X] Transportation [X]
    edited March 2011
    Guys, sorry I'm late to the party. I'm still interested, and will submit footage over the weekend!

AnarchistAbe on
    edited March 2011
    No worries, there's plenty of time to submit footage and photos to us for this PAX, as we still need to work on Prime. Take your time. ;-)

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png