As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MAGFest Jamspace PART III

2»

• NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Open mic. If you're willing to have some fun and do some video game freestyle, that might be pretty neat as well.

NickTheNewbie on
  • McRibsMcRibs Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nick,

Certainly... I'm pretty nerdy. My songs range from my skills at D&D to my love of videogames and riding vespa scooters.

McRibs on
  • chrismsxchrismsx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    McRibs wrote: »
    Nick,

Certainly... I'm pretty nerdy. My songs range from my skills at D&D to my love of videogames and riding vespa scooters.

I'm in the same boat, we should definitely do some freestyling at the show together. Looking forward to your set! Glad I won't be the only rapper.

chrismsx on
  • McRibsMcRibs Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    chrismsx wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, we should definitely do some freestyling at the show together. Looking forward to your set! Glad I won't be the only rapper.
    Yeah! I was gonna hit you up on the twitter sometime soon! I'll have cds too hopefully so i'll save one for you. Maybe sometime later we can collab on a song using the power of the intranet!

McRibs on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Question: can we have printed lyrics, or is it frownd upon? I know my stuff, but I have a knack for messing up when actually preforming.

RainbowTunnel on
  • LelldorianxLelldorianx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To quote OP, 'holy shit that's awesome!'

I walked by the JamSpace a few times at PAX Prime last year; I think the chiptune stuff was hosted in the jamspace, wasn't it? I loved some of the chiptune music, but I didn't get to see any of the stuff in the videos in OP. I'll definitely be back this year.

I hadn't seen the Jon St. John video until now. What a beast.

Lelldorianx on
    Editor @ GamersNexus.net
    edited February 2011
    Question: can we have printed lyrics, or is it frownd upon? I know my stuff, but I have a knack for messing up when actually preforming.

Hahahaha you seem to be under the impression that we consider ourselves in any way professional :P

It is the official opinion of MAGFest that you are to have fun in any way you can, as long as it does not involve open alcohol containers in public.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited February 2011

Hahahaha you seem to be under the impression that we consider ourselves in any way professional :P

It is the official opinion of MAGFest that you are to have fun in any way you can, as long as it does not involve open alcohol containers in public.

In that case I'll have lines of coke ready off-stage.

(disclaimer: complete joke)

RainbowTunnel on
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Vanilla, Diet, or Zero?

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
    edited February 2011
    MJPM wrote: »

Vanilla, Diet, or Zero?

I'll have you know I'm exclusively Classic. Don't want any of that new garbage laced with its original purity.

RainbowTunnel on
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Guys, anyone who can film the Saturday Night Jamspace concerts from 5 - 8 will get over 9,000 interwebs from me!!! I may miss it due to lining up for the Saturday concerts in the Main Theatre for the PAX DVD ;_;.

I will love you forever. <3

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • DEFAULT_HERODEFAULT_HERO Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I remember passing by last year wanting to play, but having a splitting headache and not being able to think straight.

I'll try to jump in this year. I'm a jazz pianist, but can play along with absolutely anything as long as someone throws me the chords. I'll comp, solo, whatever you want from me.

Also been on the fence about bringing a melodica to PAX. If I do, I'll definitely swing by with it.

DEFAULT_HERO on
  • yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I super, super highly recommend everyone go see the PowerGlove set on Saturday at 7 pm. These guys are so unbelievably awesome they couldn't make the concerts. They take songs from our favorite video games and turn them into ridiculously great metal songs with their own twist. Also they put on a great show by dressing up in crazy outfits and usually throw out soft foam swords when they play their Mortal Kombat song called Metal Kombat. They also do songs from games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Castlevania, Tetris, and of course even Super Mario himself. So check these guys out and maybe next year we can get them in the concerts for sure!

yanksrul5 on
  • Dr. NohDr. Noh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I plan on spending most of late friday/saturday night in the jamspace. I had an amazing time jamming out with everyone last year.

Ill be playing bass and while I know lots of songs, no one listens the basslines anyways so I can jam with whatever :P

However, if anyone wants to play anything off the Megaman 2 soundtrack, anything by the Megas (an impromptu Megas cover moment would be amazing) or any punk rock jam (Op ivy, Minor Threat, Misfits, etc.) I would be pretty psyched.

Also BUMP for great justice.

I can play some OpIvy songs on guitar and/or sing (better at singing). I can also sing and play guitar to some Ramones, Sex Pistols, Rancid, Radiohead, . I also know a ton of old school Weezer.

I can also play drums, but I'd mostly rather sing.

Dr. Noh on
  • LucarioLucario Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to be at PAX the entire weekend (guitar/vocals/accordion/bass/ukulele), as will a couple other members of my school's glee club... But none of us are really going to know much video game music aside from Still Alive.

Is it a strict video game music only thing? Would be be frowned upon if I brought some photocopied sheet music for any holes that might be in the band and played Grace Kelly, or whipped out the Hohner student and jammed to some TMBG?

Failing that, just suggest something for me to get everybody to learn over the next couple days; Saturday I believe there'll be four of us.

Things I know by heart, for jamming purposes:

Any old Beatles/Elvis Costello song
    Anything off demon days
    Anything off Mika's Life in Cartoon Motion / The Boy Who Knew Too Much
    Still Alive
    Most songs by Cream (but the ones with Eric Clapton vocals don't always sound good with me singing.)
    The following songs by Tenacious D: Kielbasa, Tribute, Master Exploder. (well, Classico, but I'd need to remember it)
    and lots of classic rock and they might be giants. Ask and ye shall receive, and if it's simple enough, I'll just whip out my iPad and learn it on the spot.

Lucario on
    edited March 2011
    I must update the OP with our new musicians!

NickTheNewbie on
  • musecutsmusecuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can play drums. Don't really play really fast double bass drum songs, but I can usually always keep up with whatever is thrown at me.

musecuts on
  • jescoolmanjescoolman Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Woo, this'll be fun! I'm the electric violinist that came last year, and I'm really looking forward to jamming out again. :wink:

Does anyone know if there will be lockers, or at least watchful eyes for instruments and so forth this year? I want to bring the violin, but it was fatiguing walking around with it all the time. :?

Looking forward to more chiptune, sad A_Rival can't make it this year.

jescoolman on
  • Hangover_GloryHangover_Glory Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lucario wrote: »
    I'm going to be at PAX the entire weekend (guitar/vocals/accordion/bass/ukulele), as will a couple other members of my school's glee club... But none of us are really going to know much video game music aside from Still Alive.

Is it a strict video game music only thing? Would be be frowned upon if I brought some photocopied sheet music for any holes that might be in the band and played Grace Kelly, or whipped out the Hohner student and jammed to some TMBG?

Failing that, just suggest something for me to get everybody to learn over the next couple days; Saturday I believe there'll be four of us.

Things I know by heart, for jamming purposes:

Any old Beatles/Elvis Costello song
    Anything off demon days
    Anything off Mika's Life in Cartoon Motion / The Boy Who Knew Too Much
    Still Alive
    Most songs by Cream (but the ones with Eric Clapton vocals don't always sound good with me singing.)
    The following songs by Tenacious D: Kielbasa, Tribute, Master Exploder. (well, Classico, but I'd need to remember it)
    and lots of classic rock and they might be giants. Ask and ye shall receive, and if it's simple enough, I'll just whip out my iPad and learn it on the spot.

We totally need to get together and play! I sing but if we can get something going, it'd be awesome.

Hangover_Glory on
  • BOSTON8BITBOSTON8BIT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hello all,

The thread is on its way up, but I just wanted to make everyone aware that the PAX East Chiptune Extravaganza will once again be taking place in Jamspace, each day from 11a-2p - here are the lineups for now!

=== FRIDAY ===
    Cathode Rays
    Oxygenstar
    Active Knowledge
    Animal Style
    Bit Shifter

=== SATURDAY ===
    AdamGetsAwesome
    Zen Albatross
    Danimal Cannon
    Br1ght Pr1mate
    Smiletron

=== SUNDAY ===
    7th Gear
    Facundo
    Shortsleeves
    Disasterpeace
    glomag and Corset lore

---

I'd suggest getting there earlier than later, as the room will probably fill up rather quickly - chris [at] boston8bit [dot] com if you have any questions.

Cheers!

BOSTON8BIT on
    edited March 2011
    That was easily the best jamspace we have ever run. Thanks to everyone for participating, and we'll see you at pax prime! Don't forget that MAGFest is an event of its own, and has a 24 hour a day jamspace. MAGFest will be Jan 5-8 at the gaylord hotel right next to washington dc

NickTheNewbie on
    edited March 2011
    Did everyone that signed up actually get to play? I went to Jamspace a few times on Friday and there was no one in there.

Tried again on Saturday, trying to sign up to play and they kept changing the hours of when we could sign up and then all of a sudden they put up a sign for a dance party...and no free play.

I gave up on Sunday because I wasted a lot of time on Friday and Saturday, even missing the cosplay panel because the sign originally said we could come free play at 8 and the cosplay panel started at 7:30.... next thing I knew, someone told me they gave away the bass to someone for a pannel and that Jamspace wasn't having any free play.

The only people I actually heard play were the advertised people but none of the independents, maybe I missed something?

chrismsx on
    edited March 2011
    Sorry you had troubles, chris. What times did you come around on Friday? We had people coming in and out and laying down some sweet jams during open jam time all day, and the room was certainly never left unattended by our staff. Remember that jamspace staff are super friendly people who would love to jam as your backup band while you lay down the vox. Also, you heading up there and doing your thing is a surefire way to pull people passing by into the room.

I do apologize about Saturday night. There was an asset and scheduling mixup, and the panel that borrowed the equipment couldn't get it back to us until after midnight. Sunday was a great day with great jams, and it's a shame you skipped out :(

Keep in touch with us for pax prime or the next east and we'll make sure you get to rock that mic.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Koopa KremlinKoopa Kremlin Mandalorian Commander Los Angeles, CA & Concord DawnRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't know about this until me and a friend randomly came upon it on saturday night. I was jamming out on guitar and my friend on bass, we were the guys from LA jamming to crazy train and a bit of sabbath. It was also cool to see so much talent in one room.

Koopa Kremlin on
    edited March 2011
    Sorry you had troubles, chris. What times did you come around on Friday? We had people coming in and out and laying down some sweet jams during open jam time all day, and the room was certainly never left unattended by our staff. Remember that jamspace staff are super friendly people who would love to jam as your backup band while you lay down the vox. Also, you heading up there and doing your thing is a surefire way to pull people passing by into the room.

I do apologize about Saturday night. There was an asset and scheduling mixup, and the panel that borrowed the equipment couldn't get it back to us until after midnight. Sunday was a great day with great jams, and it's a shame you skipped out :(

Keep in touch with us for pax prime or the next east and we'll make sure you get to rock that mic.

This was my first PAX so I was honestly unsure of how it worked. I went late afternoon on Friday... But anyway I was just curious if people that said they were going to play, actually played...I guess I needed to ask more questions and not just walk in the room and assume. Ha. I wish I knew about the staff being willing to play back up. I guess I'll try again next year!

chrismsx on
    edited March 2011
    chrismsx wrote: »

This was my first PAX so I was honestly unsure of how it worked. I went late afternoon on Friday... But anyway I was just curious if people that said they were going to play, actually played...I guess I needed to ask more questions and not just walk in the room and assume. Ha. I wish I knew about the staff being willing to play back up. I guess I'll try again next year!

We'd definitely like to see you back. One thing to keep in mind with jamspace, as well as MAGFest (the main event itself in january) is that we stress social contact. Be friendly, say hi to new people, make connections, and rock the fuck out.

NickTheNewbie on
  • The Icarus KidThe Icarus Kid Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    (post removed, wrong thread)

The Icarus Kid on