As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plant nerds, represent!

DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2011 in Social Entropy++
No, this isn't about Robert Plant. Fuck off! This thread is about growing stuff, not necessarily weed either. Or studying plants. Botany's pretty rad also! The place I lived at before didn't really get any sun, so I couldn't grow any plants that I wanted to grow (I don't want to grow mildew). However we now live in an apartment with large western windows and that includes a garden window like this:

window_gardenwindow_big.jpg

only without the stupid looking bouquet sitting there.

We have a norfolk pine (not really a true pine but they look cool)

norfolk_island_pine.jpg

A holiday cactus

large_hg10cact2.jpg

And then some carnivorous plants which is a somewhat recent hobby of mine.
Carnivorous plants aren't all under one family, they actually comprise a broad range of plants not closely related to each other that simply have in common that they can trap and digest animals (usually insects) for their nitrates and phosphates because they tend to live in environments that are poor in these nutrients for various reasons (for example bogs).

No, I don't have any flytraps. It's actually difficult to grow healthy flytraps indoors without a terrarium, a step I'm not interested in pursuing at this point. Flytraps are actually much easier to grow outdoors, even in climates that get below freezing in the winter and get snow.

So what am I growing so far? Well so far I have a two sundews (genus Drosera). A spoon leaf sundew (D. spatulata)

d.spatulata.jpg

And I just acquired a lance leaf sundew as well (D. adelae)

D_adelae.jpg

Sundews trap their prey with the globules of sticky "sundew" that give them their name. Once a bug is caught in the sticky goo, the leaf then responds by wrapping itself around the victim and secreting enzymes that break down their insides and leave an empty husk behind.

I also have a couple of pitcher plants, specifically Nepenthes which are tropical pitcher plants (as opposed to Sarracenia which are native to North America and not closely related to Nepenthes. The Nepenthes species I'm growing are highland Nepenthes, which means they're adapted to highland tropical conditions so they can handle cool (but not freezing) temperatures and don't actually need true tropical conditions. This makes them reasonably easy to grow indoors as long as you can provide them with the right amount of light.

The first Nepenthes I got is a N. mikei. It's still very young and hasn't produced any mature pitchers yet, but with the days getting longer I'm confident I'll be seeing its first functional pitchers in a few weeks. This is what it'll look like when it's mature (they're relatively small as Nepenthes go).

N.mikei.jpg

The other one which I just got today is N. truncata and can get quite a bit larger (it's also quite small right now though). Eventually I'll need to repot it into a hanging pot because they can get quite large!

trunc17inch.jpg

I find carnivorous plants interesting and I enjoy the exotic appearance of tropical pitcher plants.

What do you grow? Do you have an herb garden? Growing tomatoes? Or are you studying botany? Plants are pretty cool yo!
(I'll take some pics of my Nepenthes tomorrow when it's light out and post them)

belruelotterav-1.jpg
Druhim on

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I should get some plants.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    carnivorous plants: cool as shit, or cool as fuck?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    shit and fuck

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I enjoy growing herbs.

Fresh dill and chives makes me so happy

and you've never actually had pesto until you've made it from basil you grew

#pipe on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    someone post that pic of the kid with the fake ficus

the one where he thinks it is weed

someone do this for me please

George Fornby Grill on
    edited March 2011
    We really need to get some herbs to grow indoors. We got some thyme a couple of months back but it started to wither and we figured we were doing something wrong. Then one day I noticed all these tiny little aphids all over the fucking plant and was kind of pissed that we were sold an infested plant, then we threw it out.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    I enjoy growing herbs.

are you sure that was basil

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I enjoy growing herbs.

200cleese.jpg

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tonkka wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I enjoy growing herbs.

rat2.jpg

#pipe on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    my family grows a vegetable garden in the summer. zucchini, corn, tomatoes, pumpkins, crook-neck squash, green beans, radishes. i love growing zucchini because it's so easy and you can do so much with it! plus it grows for a long time and you get tons of it for your effort.

Metzger Meister on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can't be both a sea nerd and a plant nerd, it's against the rules!

Cilla Black on
    edited March 2011
    PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPE!

Tonkka on
    edited March 2011
    In our back yard we have:
    • Bananas
    • Limes
    • Lemons
    • Papaya
    • Passionfruit
    • Mango

#pipe on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have to redo my lawn this week

bluggghh

we planted some baby ones a these last fall

Double_Flowering_Kerria.jpg

Hopefully we can keep them alive through the miserable OK summer

Also have one of these in the front yard

istockphoto_1535756-magnolia-tree.jpg

It's still young so it doesn't get that many blooms, but hopefully we keep this house long enough to see it in full glory!

edit: That's Japanese Kerrias and a Magnolia tree, respectively

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only seeds I plant I pray never sprout

Poorochondriac on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want a lemon tree! Or lime!

Oh hell, I just want room to have a garden full of delicious things

e: Oh gooooddddd Magnolia trees are the hugest pain in the ass to clean up after uggggghhhh

Usagi on
    edited March 2011
    Having edible things growing in your yard is awesome

and oh god are they bad? It was here when we moved in, but it literally gets like 3 blossoms a year so far so it isn't that bad

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm taking botany for spring quarter!

Weaver on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    poison-ivy-submition-batman-the-animated-series-7016534-385-289.jpg

Brolo on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Druh planted all the redwood trees. True story.

Hunter on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    IMG_1137.JPG
    that's a full-grown magnolia leaf on the left -- they're kinda huge and leathery and pointy, so a bit difficult to gather.

as for me, all i have right now are vines, and a bedraggled African violet. my favorite plant was probably a bouganvillea that i was going to train into bonsai, but one of our famous surprise storms drowned the poor thing while i was at class. i do love reading gardening books, though, and i actually have a stack i got from the library last Tuesday.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The soil in my Sideyard is pretty much sand, and what little dirt I can find is more or less devoid of nutrients. I started a compost pile last summer, so I hope that'll help some. Otherwise I've been sticking to potted and store bought miracle grow soil. Landscaping my shit yard was fun and rewarding though.

It's worked out pretty well so far, two species of garlic, some basil, and some cilantro. Most of it was coming along fine until I got a bad case of mites infesting the leaves. I've done most of what's recommended, but the bastards won't die.

I think i've got some kind of species of super mite.

When Spring comes i'm gonna try growing marigolds, cacti, some local orange flowers, and try to really get a veggie patch going. I gotta do more sunlight tests though.

Newtron on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    go fuck a ficus faggot

PiptheFair on
    edited March 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zeCXlFPjk

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crashmo wrote: »

and oh god are they bad? It was here when we moved in, but it literally gets like 3 blossoms a year so far so it isn't that bad

Neighbor's house when I lived in CT had a big fucking magnolia tree and every spring after it flowered I was picking up soggy pink petals for weeks off my car and the lawn and the sidewalk and the side of the house and fuuuuuuuck that

Usagi on
    edited March 2011
    yeah, magnolia flowers make a fucking mess once they shed their petals

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Usagi wrote: »

Neighbor's house when I lived in CT had a big fucking magnolia tree and every spring after it flowered I was picking up soggy pink petals for weeks off my car and the lawn and the sidewalk and the side of the house and fuuuuuuuck that

Man, all the trees in CT are fucking dirty.

My grandmother never had a single tree in her yard ever, but her neighbor had a big ass maple tree in his yard. Every fall we'd end up raking at least 6 bags of leaves from that fucking tree. That tree and its owner were obnoxious.

Newtron on
    edited March 2011
    oh, well as long as it's just the neighbor's stuff

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know what I love? Mulberry trees. One of the few trees that seem to grow this far north that has a fruit that's edible, but requires pretty much no maintenance to stop the fruit from rotting prematurely.

There are even a few growing near my apartment in downtown Toronto! You can just snack on a few berries as you walk by.

gardening-graphics_1068112a.jpg

Brolo on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zeCXlFPjk

Goddamn corgis. Menance to society. Rebels without a cause. So... so... so cute, oh man. <3

Cilla Black on
    edited March 2011
    I always expect that corgi to jump into the sand trap and drop a deuce

#pipe on
    edited March 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    You know what I love? Mulberry trees. One of the few trees that seem to grow this far north that has a fruit that's edible, but requires pretty much no maintenance to stop the fruit from rotting prematurely.

There are even a few growing near my apartment in downtown Toronto! You can just snack on a few berries as you walk by.

Yeah these are pretty awesome, had one in the front lawn as a kid, had to fight off the neighborhood kids with nerf weaponry + super soakers

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    druhim this thread excites me and i have a crush on you for making it. i love botany! i remember one particularly fond memory where all I wanted to do was tell Smart Hero how angiosperm reproduction works but all I could spit out was 'plant vagina'.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love me some gardening, I'm making myself the biggest dang veggie garden. Once I finished fencong it to keep the animals out, it's gonna be like 15m x 20m, at least.

I've already started working out my rotations through the garden beds, layout, planting seasons all that good stuff.

So excited

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got these big saskatoon berry bushes in my backyard. Saskatoon berries are like blueberries, but sweeter.

I didn't even know what the fuck they were until I went to my friends farm in Alberta where they happened to grow them, and then by chance when I came back to Ontario my mom was growing a bunch in our backyard!

They are really, really good.

Al_wat on
    edited March 2011
    Tef wrote: »
    I love me some gardening, I'm making myself the biggest dang veggie garden. Once I finished fencong it to keep the animals out, it's gonna be like 15m x 20m, at least.

I've already started working out my rotations through the garden beds, layout, planting seasons all that good stuff.

So excited

that is a big ole garden!

how big is your lawn, or is it somewhere else?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    After a recent substrate swap in my fishtank I'm looking into some low-tech friendly plants for it.

Christmas Moss
    PL-MO03-01.jpg

Murimo
    marimo-1.jpg

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you may or may not know this about me but I am really into bees. This past summer I did research on native pollinators and I was tasked with collecting as many squash bees as I could. In 3 months, I didn't get a single dang bee. But the plant itself is really neat. All gourds are neat. Really pretty flowers.

DSCN1738.jpg

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tef wrote: »
    I love me some gardening, I'm making myself the biggest dang veggie garden. Once I finished fencing it to keep the animals out, it's gonna be like 15m x 20m, at least.

So excited

that is a big ole garden!

how big is your lawn, or is it somewhere else?

My brother and I bought a 70acre hobby farm and I've claimed a nice spot right near the house for my veggie garden.

I also want to start a mini orchard. I'm thinking pecans, macadamias, nectarines, lemons, oranges and apples but I still haven't made a final decision on it.

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    plants that remove indoor air polutants

Sometimes I have the urge to pile my home full of house plants.
    But I am not the best at attending to their needs.

ThreadbareSock on