As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
tribes311.jpg

UPDATE: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pa-tribes for the PA steam group!

PA Player List:
PA Tribes Player List

What is Tribes:Ascend?
What? Are you seriously wondering what the fuck Tribes Ascend is? Its god damn tribes, being brought back from the grave, all you need to know is Shazbot!

Tribes: Ascend is an upcoming free-to-play multiplayer-only first-person shooter part of the Tribes franchise. It is currently being developed by Hi-Rez Studios and was announced on March 11, 2011 at PAX East with an expected release in early 2012. It will be available as a digital download for Microsoft Windows, though Hi-Rez Studios haven't ruled out the possibility of an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 release in the future. Iconic aspects from previous Tribes games such as jetpacks and skiing will be featured in the game. Currently, the game is in open beta and will release on April 12, 2012.

patribes.jpg

214655389_c57vb-L-2.jpg
bit of gameplay, although these are mostly just killshots from a guy, feel free to turn off the sound and skip ahead in the video a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slG0UWSiloY
Cynical Brit going over the new UI and a bit of gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZXRM4mz2r8
More coming when I'm not at work.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
TheKoolEagle on

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm so excited about this. This game could easily consume me.

Global Agenda was a great 3PS, even if it wasn't the best MMO. The actual in fight gameplay was so fun; I think Hi Rez are totally capable of putting out a great Tribes game.

815165 on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If this game turns out to be nearly as deep and complicated as Tribes 2, I'll be completely and totally over the goddamned moon. I've been missing huge multiplayer skirmishes with base defenses, vehicles, customizable turrets and mortars, mortars, mortars!

I was just thinking about starting a Tribes 2 Game On thread, too. If anyone's itching for something to fill the gap before we know more about Ascend, check out Tribes Next. The downloads section has everything you need to get Tribes 2 up and running - and it's been free since 2004.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I do love me some tribes 2, I just may install it and patch up with tribes next

TheKoolEagle on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I do love me some tribes 2, I just may install it and patch up with tribes next

I've had a few intermittent problems getting it up and running, but the support forums on the Tribes Next website seem to have some good FAQs, if you have issues. Also, it looks like there are ways to get the original Tribes running, too - I've not fiddled with that yet, but it seems doable.

I know some folks liked the original Tribes way more than the second one, after all. Me, I died just as brutally in either version of the game, so it didn't make much difference.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh please let this be good.

Wait, what am I saying - my wife will never see me again.

...hmm

citizen059 on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My concern with this, aside from Tribes Vengeance not being very great, is that there seems to be this mass misconception that TRIBES 2 was a better game than TRIBES and I think they're running with that.

Which is just absurd.

TRIBES was infinitely better than TRIBES 2. By the very end of TRIBES 2 when it was all patched and "classic" it was almost as good as TRIBES in some situations.

All those quotes? TRIBES. Not TRIBES 2. I hope they remember that.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was a big Global Agenda fan.

But... i was an even bigger Tribes fan back in the day. Its nice to see that the game is getting a revival.

That said... Im going to be cautious on the side of being blinded by nostalgia, and say if they dont at least update some things, i probably wont be as thrilled.

Talkc on
    edited March 2011
    My concern with this, aside from Tribes Vengeance not being very great, is that there seems to be this mass misconception that TRIBES 2 was a better game than TRIBES and I think they're running with that.

Which is just absurd.

TRIBES was infinitely better than TRIBES 2. By the very end of TRIBES 2 when it was all patched and "classic" it was almost as good as TRIBES in some situations.

All those quotes? TRIBES. Not TRIBES 2. I hope they remember that.

Yes. This. Tribes 2 was a mess of a game for a very long time. It took some good ideas and ran with them, but also suffered in a lot of other areas.

Whereas nearly any Tribes 1 mod was superior in every way to its successor.

Talkc on
    edited March 2011
    loved me some shifter, anyone else ever play the sword mod? it basically just had crazy weapons and super crazy juggernaught armor, I was one of the few regulars that played on that server

edit: also the tribes rpg mod, good times. I had recently reinstalled it and put up a server to play on, although my true love was mythical realms, and the server I played on had made some changes, the default mod doesn't have working teleporters to go into phen's temple and stuff :(

TheKoolEagle on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah crap! Shazbot! I need an APC pickup! I need an I need an I need an APC pickup!

This will be amazing because tribes is amazing ergo this will be amazing.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really don't trust Hi-Rez studios to make anything as good as Tribes: Vengeance, let alone anything approaching Starsiege: Tribes, which I believe is the best game ever made, but the line at the end of the trailer does give me a little glimmer of hope...

TychoCelchuuu on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Am I the only one who only played Base on Tribes 1? So many of the mods were ridiculously stupid to me. Full of weapons that spewed copious amounts of projectiles solely because they could rather then striving to balance anything.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited March 2011
    Hrm....they're now saying this is going to be XBLA/PC.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I dunno.

This isn't the Massively Multi-TRIBES that Hi-Rez announced a bit ago, btw, if anyone was wondering. This is going to be a separate entity.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2011
    So because I like Tribes more than I love life itself, I've watched this trailer a few more times and have discovered two things.

Evidence that this game might actually be pretty good:
    imnxb8.jpg

Evidence that eh, maybe not:
    imnzjG.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited March 2011
    ewwww yeah close combat weapons are a bit of a turnoff, but I can't hate on it too hard because I always carried a shocklance in tribes 2

TheKoolEagle on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    beat to the punch

MrDelish on
    edited March 2011
    I dunno, while there was no real melee in TRIBES, I don't think it'd hurt the gameplay.

Which is funny now that I think about it because there were swords in the artwork and whatnot.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2011
    I dunno, while there was no real melee in TRIBES, I don't think it'd hurt the gameplay.

Which is funny now that I think about it because there were swords in the artwork and whatnot.

I really got the ceremonial vibe from the swords in all the artwork. Melee weapons in a game where everybody has jetpacks and zooms around at 80 miles per hour are a bad, bad idea, I would say. And taking a look at Global Agenda, Hi-Rez's other game, the melee weapons there are... well...

Yeah, if this is a good Tribes game it will be a surprise to me.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So because I like Tribes more than I love life itself, I've watched this trailer a few more times and have discovered two things.

imnxb8.jpg

imnzjG.jpg

Woah woah woah, stop the fucking presses man!

Are you telling me that the Diamond Sword guy is holding a fucking Diamond Sword?!

What is this fucking bullshit?!?!?!?!

Garthor on
    edited March 2011
    Garthor wrote: »

imnxb8.jpg

imnzjG.jpg

Are you telling me that the Diamond Sword guy is holding a fucking Diamond Sword?!

Again, the swords always struck me as ceremonial, and if the melee in the new Tribes game is anything like the melee in Global Agenda, it's not going to be a ton of fun.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited March 2011
    Ah crap! Shazbot! I need an APC pickup! I need an I need an I need an APC pickup!

Can anyone bring me so-SHAZBOT-Can anyone bring me some ammo?!

Those voices are forever burned into my memory. It's almost sad that Tribes predates the advent of the autotuned/techno remix. So much potential there.

I guess it could go either way. I'll be honest: I have no idea how you would run either of the previous two tribes games on XBLA. At the very least, this is a franchise that demands dedicated servers. I won't say it's impossible, just that it feels more 'at home' on the PC.

So after poking around a bit, I have been able to locate files for Tribes 1. I'm a bit overwhelmed though. Does anyone still play it regularly, and if so, what version is the best to use? I gather there was a 1.30 patch that came out after the game stopped receiving official support, but I've also seen mention of a 1.40 patch, and several different gaggles of 'configurations'.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited March 2011
    Garthor wrote: »

imnxb8.jpg

imnzjG.jpg

Again, the swords always struck me as ceremonial, and if the melee in the new Tribes game is anything like the melee in Global Agenda, it's not going to be a ton of fun.

Really, though, my issue is that they've replaced all the guns with rock-paper-scissors. I mean, I enjoy a bit of RPS as much as anybody, but couldn't they have at least gone for rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock?

Garthor on
    edited March 2011
    Upon closer inspection, it appears that there is only paper and scissors.

What is this imbalanced bullshit? Scissors can't even lose to paper!

Garthor on
    edited March 2011
    Dude, stop being an ass. All he was saying is that he thought that the swords seemed more ceremonial than useful.

Also that melee in GA is ass.

Which it is.

The Dude With Herpes on

• leeroyleeroy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Can anyone bring me so-SHAZBOT-Can anyone bring me some ammo?!

Those voices are forever burned into my memory. It's almost sad that Tribes predates the advent of the autotuned/techno remix. So much potential there.

I guess it could go either way. I'll be honest: I have no idea how you would run either of the previous two tribes games on XBLA. At the very least, this is a franchise that demands dedicated servers. I won't say it's impossible, just that it feels more 'at home' on the PC.

So after poking around a bit, I have been able to locate files for Tribes 1. I'm a bit overwhelmed though. Does anyone still play it regularly, and if so, what version is the best to use? I gather there was a 1.30 patch that came out after the game stopped receiving official support, but I've also seen mention of a 1.40 patch, and several different gaggles of 'configurations'.

This game will now either be completely unplayable on the 360, or we can say goodbye to fast speed jetpacks and light armor. Really now, it'd be literally impossible to hit anything that moves as fast as characters in Tribes 1 and 2 with a controller unless there was some massive aim assist and/or everyone had heat seeking rocket launchers.

leeroy on
    edited March 2011
    It won't be cross platform.

Don't worry about that.

But I think it's safe to assume that we'll never see people reaching the speeds they could in TRIBES. You can throw me in with the "TRIBES is one of the, if not the, best games ever" crowd, but no one can deny the idiocy that was going on towards the end with people grabbing and capping a flag in seconds, moving too fast for even mines to be set off, etc.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2011
    Can't wait for Tribes: Ascend: RPG

MrDelish on
    edited March 2011
    It won't be cross platform.

Don't worry about that.

But I think it's safe to assume that we'll never see people reaching the speeds they could in TRIBES. You can throw me in with the "TRIBES is one of the, if not the, best games ever" crowd, but no one can deny the idiocy that was going on towards the end with people grabbing and capping a flag in seconds, moving too fast for even mines to be set off, etc.

It won't be cross platform, but I doubt they're going to make two different games. The fact that it's XBLA and PC is due to ease of porting, I'm pretty sure. Undeserved doom prediction: The game will use GFWL on PC.

All that aside, though, I have to agree with the speed assessment. Tribes got down to some stupid fast speeds. The frantic pace was part of the appeal, I think, but it doesn't much translate into well balanced gameplay.

But they'd better freaking keep Skiing in the game.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man I can't wait to rock someone with my first mid-air disc.

I have never been as good at a game as I was at Tribes.

Topia on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fondly reminiscing Tribes, and the bases you used, I could see a melee weapon being rather useful. Lots of those hallways were rather short and cramped, making a stealthy character very, very deadly with a melee weapon.

But yeah, Tribes was way better than Tribes 2, although I did thoroughly enjoy the tank, bike, and bomber. Hopefully they'll just remake Tribes, with a couple weapons/vehicles from T2.

Also, Renegade was the best mod.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    SoulGate wrote: »
    Also, ShifterX was the best mod.

I will fight to the death over this

The HomeLAN server running ShifterX was my go-to place until it shut down

MrDelish on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I liked Tribes
    but I also liked Aerial Assault
    which apparently everyone disliked.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    edited March 2011
    My biggest fear for this game is the hardon devs have for xp-based progression/unlock systems lately.

TRIBES worked because you could step in and do anything. There was already such a steep learning curve that the difference between a good player and a bad player was night and day. If you further kick anew player in the nuts by saying "BTW, no disc launcher till level 5!" while they're getting destroyed by flying air snipers they will quit and never look back.

If they try to put in a progression system into this, I don't see how it could possibly work.

The MMO they're making, sure; different premise, different expectations. But the gameplay of TRIBES relied entirely on the access everyone had to every thing all the time.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2011
    My biggest fear for this game is the hardon devs have for xp-based progression/unlock systems lately.

TRIBES worked because you could step in and do anything. There was already such a steep learning curve that the difference between a good player and a bad player was night and day. If you further kick anew player in the nuts by saying "BTW, no disc launcher till level 5!" while they're getting destroyed by flying air snipers they will quit and never look back.

If they try to put in a progression system into this, I don't see how it could possibly work.

The MMO they're making, sure; different premise, different expectations. But the gameplay of TRIBES relied entirely on the access everyone had to every thing all the time.

Heh, that's funny, I made the exact same point today in another thread. Imagine being stuck in the default medium armor until you had captured enough flags or painted enough targets with a targeting laser to unlock light armor.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't shoot me but...what the hell is Tribes?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited March 2011
    All you fuckers are WRONG.

TEAM AERIAL COMBAT ( TAC ) was the best mod.
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

BURN THE HERETIC

Talkc on
    edited March 2011

A significant portion of my childhood/adolescence.

More seriously, Starsiege: Tribes was probably the first multiplayer-only PC game*, and what it did in 1998 still remains to be duplicated. Even by its own franchise sequels. The Wikipedia page for the game might explain it a bit better, but just know that it was akin to digital heroin for some of us.

* I remember when I first heard about Tribes not having a single-player portion, and being shocked. "Multiplayer only?" I wondered. "There's no WAY that's going to be successful!" How wonderfully wrong I was.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited March 2011

Tribes are groups of people that tend to form around familial or social constructs that typically live in a small area for protection and for survival.

TRIBES on the other hand is one of the best games ever created, and is still the best FPS in history. It allowed a level of personal customization, freedom, tactical strategy, coordination, teamwork, and balance that has never been reproduced. Every multiplayer FPS on the market today doesn't even come close to what TRIBES did a decade ago and completely honestly it's why I simply can't get back into the genre no matter how hard I try. TF2 was the closest I've come, it was a great game, but didn't have the depth, for me, to last as long as TRIBES.

It's like, someone, somewhere, saw what TRIBES did and though "Fuck, there is no where left for this genre to go. We have to pretend this game never existed and put FPS's back to Quake level bore-fests so that one day maybe, just maybe, decades from now, we can present a game like TRIBES and pretend like something revolutionary occurred, when it had been there all along"

The mistake they made with TRIBES 2 was to change too much from TRIBES. By the time they realized this and started moving back to the TRIBES way of playing it was too late. It was too different, they had already totally fractured and then stepped on the remainder of the TRIBES community and even though TRIBES 2 ended up being a perfectly acceptable game on its own merits, it wasn't even remotely a worth successor to TRIBES.

Unfortunately the master servers went down ages ago, and while you can set up the game with a new master server, and there are some out there, the community isn't even a fraction of what it was, and it is very unfriendly (last I checked, a few years ago) to new players.

Honestly though, the gameplay was so perfect in TRIBES that they could have just fixed some of the exploits and left everything exactly how it was; just put out a new graphical engine that didn't effect the gameplay at all, every few years, and it would still be the best FPS on earth.

Oh so sad. Sad sad sad days. Sometimes I remember playing TRIBES and then I get depressed in realization that quite possibly the most fun I'll have ever had playing video games with other people are already in my past. :(

The Dude With Herpes on

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok. Ok. Trying to keep my excitement in check here, because oh god Tribes.

I need gameplay vids asap, Hi Rez.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can't say I really agree with the first one being better than the second. The first eventually devolved into nothing but mine-discing and laser sniping, with pretty much nothing in between. The second one felt slower, more purposeful and tactical than the instant deaths as soon as you stepped out of Broadside in T1. Sure, it was buggy as shit, but bugs aren't really what I'm discussing here.

My view, as always, is likely to be the minority.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.