As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TRIBES: 128 player servers? Possible.

64 player servers? Common.

Vehicles? Yeah, and they could hold multiple people who could fire out of the vehicle with their own weapons.

Vast open maps with complex indoor areas? Every single map.

Unique movement mechanics? In place and amazing.

Wide array of weapons, all of which were completely different and almost all of which were viable? Yes.

Complex team command system that allowed people to assign orders to each other which would add waypoints to the UI? In there and completely ignored because what would be a major feature in most games was basically just another bullet point for TRIBES.

Mod system that allowed tons of different games to be implemented easily without making anyone download them? Ooooh yeah.

System of deployable items like mines, targeting beacons, portable inventory stations, and so on that allowed you to establish forward bases behind enemy lines and resupply from there? Heck yeah!

Sensor system that picked out enemies on your HUD when they were within sensor range unless they set up sensor jammers, and that allowed you to get an overview of the battlefield within the range of your sensors, including remote sensors deployed by players? In there, and once again largely ignored because the game was so awesome otherwise.

Integrated system of voice commands so that you could say SHAZBOT or dance the funky chicken? OF COURSE.

etc.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    Can't say I really agree with the first one being better than the second. The first eventually devolved into nothing but mine-discing and laser sniping, with pretty much nothing in between. The second one felt slower, more purposeful and tactical than the instant deaths as soon as you stepped out of Broadside in T1. Sure, it was buggy as shit, but bugs aren't really what I'm discussing here.

My view, as always, is likely to be the minority.

At the end of its life, sadly, TRIBES was not what it once was. Unmonitored servers let people exploit with disregard to everyone else and the dev's had stopped patching exploits. Judging it on this, instead of the years of quality, balanced, gameplay isn't really fair at all. The amount of time the game was like this was a flash in the pan compared to its glory.

Many who liked TRIBES 2 more than TRIBES, it seems, only heard about TRIBES when TRIBES 2 was nearly out and wanted to see what all the hubub was about. What they saw wasn't pretty, but it wasn't representative of the actual product or experience at all.

For them, it makes sense why there are those who felt TRIBES 2 was better. But to that, I simply say, they didn't really experience TRIBES.

Also, of course there was laser sniping. That was the entire point of the laser rifle.

Sniping.

But snipers were easy to pick out, easy to mark and easy to nullify.

Also also, mine discing was a perfectly legitimate strategy.

It was just one of those things experienced players could do with ease that made new, or poor, players feel like the other guy was "cheating". Same with air-discing and air-sniping, high speed (not exploited) ski-caps, actually knowing how to use the grenade launcher, etc. Until you got good enough to do it yourself with ease, it was always frustrating to get killed that way.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Actually, I played during the good parts of it, too. Though the most fun I had was with mods.

The issues I had with laser sniping and mine-discing weren't that they weren't balanced, it's that it wasn't fun to play against them. A hitscan weapon is a huge problem in a game that has a slower pace with inertia and tactical movement, because it almost completely eliminates the target's opportunity to dodge or juke -- while you could do a little of that or have very high speed from skiing in, it was almost entirely down to the accuracy of the sniper whether the target lived or died, not the target's personal skill (beyond basic competence in not standing there head all ripe and stationary like a jack-o-lantern). Also, to say snipers were "easy to pick out" is ignoring the fact that it wasn't necessary at all to set up a nest. Oftentimes it would be 1) get chaingunned down to 50% or so, and then while still floating the chaingunner recharges a bit of energy, swaps to laser and snipes you in the head before they even hit the ground.

Mine-discing had another issue, which was that the game was designed around no weapons (except the mortar cannon) being one-shot kills on any class of full-health armor. Even the laser rifle did about 85% damage with a fully charged headshot, while mine discs were instant, guaranteed kills if pulled off with moderate competence on a target not already skiing at high speed. It may have been "fair", in that all things are fair given the sides were equal, but it, too, wasn't much fun to play against.

I played well, I think. I took pride in being able to midair-disc people with a ping of 350 and a dialup service notorious for packet dropping. But I much more preferred the balance of Tribes 2, because it made more of an effort for the slower, tactical shooter than the spaztastic espresso dropping brain frying ultraspeed of pretty much every other shooter out there (at the time).

I suppose my entire point is that there were groundwork differences between the two that make saying one or the other was "better" an exercise in opinion-leveling. For those like me, who preferred not getting one-shot the second they stepped out a door half the time, Tribes 2 was an improvement over the original (in that particular sector. sigh unhandled exceptions.)

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    I say snipers were easy to pick out because I typically played with the same people all the time, on the same handful of servers and if someone got sniped or even saw a beam, they'd mark the sniper or the general area to be scouted.

Typically someone who would run off to the hills to snipe wasn't someone who could handle themselves in a duel at all. Take em out once, maybe twice, and they usually gave up.

Communication and coordination was key in TRIBES. More so than in TRIBES 2 IMO.

The Dude With Herpes on

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I dont remember people marking areas to be scouted if a sniper fired.

It was more like 1-2 people would immediately go over there and kill your ass. AFTER that HO just destroyed all your inventory terminals.

TRIBES was barely just about sniping and mine disking. Although some of my more fond memories were of TRIBES 2 arena, Starsiege: TRIBES ctf mode was simply never beaten.

Draygo on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I missed out on Tribes in my childhood (never actually played any online games during the 90's), but it's been a thing I've wanted to play since the early 00's.

Was it a subscription thing like Planetside or just a flat-out multiplayer game, like most FPS today*? I've been hoping that the entire series will one day show up on GoG.com. They've got other early multiplayer titles, so it'd fit right in.

Does the original game still work, though? Online I mean, assuming you can get it to run.

*Because they all have such tiny and pointless campaigns. I'm so clever.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    So, I missed out on Tribes in my childhood (never actually played any online games during the 90's), but it's been a thing I've wanted to play since the early 00's.

Was it a subscription thing like Planetside or just a flat-out multiplayer game, like most FPS today*? I've been hoping that the entire series will one day show up on GoG.com. They've got other early multiplayer titles, so it'd fit right in.

Does the original game still work, though? Online I mean, assuming you can get it to run.

*Because they all have such tiny and pointless campaigns. I'm so clever.

I sure hope they don't wind up on GoG.com, because then you'd have to pay for them.

Both games were released as Freeware back in 2004. They still work. The original Tribes is floating all over the internet in various incarnations that I can't quite wrestle into submission yet (if I do, I'll report back here for certain). Tribes 2 is available quite easily at Tribes Next. Just use the download page to get the full game, and then the patch. Both games have been reported as working on Windows 7, even the 64 bit version of the OS, so my difficulties are likely isolated.

Edit: Is anyone else interested in playing either version of Tribes? Do we have enough people to get a good PA session going every now and again?

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I frigging loved tribes and tribes 2, actually i had a bad problem of not blinking entire matches of tribes, after it ended i would sit back and blink and my eyes would burn.

when tribes 2 was released I actually playing it at least 12 hours a day during a summer break, usually between the hours of 3pm to 10am every day, I was a very sad individual as I kept awake by mixing lucky charms and pepsi into some kind of magical energy mix.

Some of my favorite moments happened in tribes 2 though,

headshotting a flag carrier about to cap from 900m away, stopping it and allowing a chaser to retrieve it.

Mid-air disc shot on a flag carrier 150m away killing him

shocklancing shrikes that think they could run me over, flipping them terribly into the ground

soooooooo much damn fun.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I dont remember much of jr high.

But i remember Tribes.

Talkc on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is going to consume my life. One of my favorite things about Tribes 2 was that you could paint a target with a laser to coordinate a mortar strike with a teammate; the dude with a mortar just sees this icon in the sky, and if he aims there, that's where his mortar will land. That's ... just beautiful. That game was seriously ahead of its time, and I'm seriously looking forward to this!

milk ducks on
    edited March 2011
    You could paint targets for mortar strikes in TRIBES looooooong before TRIBES 2. >.>
    I'm sorry, my love for TRIBES cannot let TRIBES 2 be given credit for that. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2011
    I was going to mention that myself, but I figured someone else would jump on it before I was done typing.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I vastly preferred Tribes 2 to Tribes, because in Tribes 2 you could actually defend a base.

Fizban140 on
    edited March 2011
    Oh god, so many memories of cardboard turrets. They still hit like bastards, though, so they weren't exactly worthless. Obviously the tribes 2 roach turrets were stronger though. Virtually impossible to see in a dark room and tiny as all hell.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    Tribes 1 didn't have a speed cap but Tribes 2 did, made it actually worthwhile to put more than one guy on defense.

Fizban140 on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I see no gameplay videos of people skiing down slopes and face planting into walls so I can't be excited.

Not after that other one.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Man if you had a team of any reasonable competence you could defend any base in TRIBES.

In fact I'd say that the ease at which you could turtle in TRIBES 2 was one of the biggest failings of the game. It completely destroyed the flow and speed of the game they had established in TRIBES.

I will agree that stuff was a bit on the flimsy side in TRIBES but all things considered I'll take that over the borefests most maps devolved to in TRIBES 2 any day.

The Dude With Herpes on

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You could paint targets for mortar strikes in TRIBES looooooong before TRIBES 2. >.>
    I'm sorry, my love for TRIBES cannot let TRIBES 2 be given credit for that. :lol:

Tribes 2 was the first game from the series I owned, honestly. I loved every minute of it, though.

milk ducks on
    edited March 2011
    Man if you had a team of any reasonable competence you could defend any base in TRIBES.

In fact I'd say that the ease at which you could turtle in TRIBES 2 was one of the biggest failings of the game. It completely destroyed the flow and speed of the game they had established in TRIBES.

I will agree that stuff was a bit on the flimsy side in TRIBES but all things considered I'll take that over the borefests most maps devolved to in TRIBES 2 any day.

I played both games competetively so my perspective my be different but Tribes 1 was all about offense, if you won it was because your cappers were better than theirs. Tribes 2 was all about the team, if you won it is because you were a better team.

Fizban140 on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I played the shit out of Tribes 2 with the Goons a year or so ago and it was pretty fun. Hopefully this will be as fun.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I was really excited for this, until I saw it was hi-rez doing it.

I don't think they will do tribes justice, but I do think they will support the hell out of it trying to.

Morkath on
  • Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've always liked Tribes 2 more myself. Tribes lacked sufficient Combat vehicles, they were mostly there for transport and scouting purposes. With Tribes 2 we had Battle Tanks and Bombers. That reason alone made me love the second over the first, and I started with Tribes 1 way back before Tribes 2 was even announced.

I just really hope that this new Tribes addresses the Tribes' series one fatal flaw and that was comparatively substandard modding tools. I mean there were a few mods that actually did have some custom weapons graphics but by and large it was just basic weapons reskinned or altered somehow to emulate new weapons. I really felt this held it back when you had Half Life at the time with these beautiful mods with full on custom everything resource wise.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just really hope that this new Tribes addresses the Tribes' series one fatal flaw and that was comparatively substandard modding tools. I mean there were a few mods that actually did have some custom weapons graphics but by and large it was just basic weapons reskinned or altered somehow to emulate new weapons. I really felt this held it back when you had Half Life at the time with these beautiful mods with full on custom everything resource wise.

I think the basic aspect of Tribes 1 mods is what I liked most. You mean I don't need to download anything to play these mods? Sign me up!

Granted, having the EMP gun turned around and stuck in a grenade launcher didn't look all that great but I didn't care.

MrDelish on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I NEED AN APC PICKUP

august on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've always liked Tribes 2 more myself. Tribes lacked sufficient Combat vehicles, they were mostly there for transport and scouting purposes. With Tribes 2 we had Battle Tanks and Bombers. That reason alone made me love the second over the first, and I started with Tribes 1 way back before Tribes 2 was even announced.

The beautiful thing about TRIBES and the reason I loved it was because you didn't need to hunt and dload, or wait for the game to install the mod files. Just say "Oh, What is this TAC?" and join the server and bam, you're playing TAC, or want to see the difference between Renegade and Ultra Renegade. Reused textures was negligible when it allowed quick and easy joining of servers, especially back in dial-up days. I do think TRIBES had some awesome netcode to allow so many people with dial-up to play competently and competitively.

Also, as requested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tYMRyaj8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6j16ilUK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igjM6KOm8ZE

This is the best pure video. No amazing shots. No crazy flag runs. Just a straight up normal game. The way it's meant to be.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKdqu940llk

Return our flag to our base!!1!1!!

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, Tribes was one of those games for me that just flipped my little mind in circles. Take what you've been playing online and add some flying transports, gunships, and customizable shit. Fantastic maps. Great weapons. Just a stellar game any way you slice it. So many good memories with that game.

Was skiing in the original Tribes or did that come into the Tribes 2 engine?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    Man, Tribes was one of those games for me that just flipped my little mind in circles. Take what you've been playing online and add some flying transports, gunships, and customizable shit. Fantastic maps. Great weapons. Just a stellar game any way you slice it. So many good memories with that game.

Was skiing in the original Tribes or did that come into the Tribes 2 engine?

It was always there in TRIBES. In T1, it was more of a weird glitch that turned out to be hella fun to use. So much so, that in T2, the devs made it much easier to ski.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Thank you Soulgate for that post.

So many good memories.

Terribad music though. :P

Which reminds me, this TRIBES better have a custom soundtrack option, or at least some way to mod the music.

One of my favorite "features" of TRIBES was that you could put in any audio CD and it'd use those tracks for various maps. It would never use track one because that was the data "track" on the TRIBES disc. Track 2 was always the menu music and the rest were spread out among maps. I have a few CD's that I listened to so much when I played TRIBES, one specifically, that every time I listen to them all I can think about is TRIBES.

Keep in mind that this was before the heyday of mp3's started.

The Dude With Herpes on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tribes had fantastic music :(

TychoCelchuuu on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is still the definitive Tribes video. It might be nothing but amazing shots and epic flag runs but there are some examples of the crazy shit you can do in this game if you know it inside and out. The flag caps in heavy armor are my favorite.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3982420863668989621#

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

So many good memories.

Which reminds me, this TRIBES better have a custom soundtrack option, or at least some way to mod the music.

One of my favorite "features" of TRIBES was that you could put in any audio CD and it'd use those tracks for various maps. It would never use track one because that was the data "track" on the TRIBES disc. Track 2 was always the menu music and the rest were spread out among maps. I have a few CD's that I listened to so much when I played TRIBES, one specifically, that every time I listen to them all I can think about is TRIBES.

Man, why wouldn't you want to hear the Tribes music?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tribes 2 was poop. The bases were too big and skiing felt like trying to swim through pea soup.

Tribes was were it was at. You kids don't know from fun.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited March 2011
    Skab wrote: »

So many good memories.

Man, why wouldn't you want to hear the Tribes music?

Bah, those are almost all TRIBES 2 crap.

I'm sorry, I just didn't like TRIBES music. I just like calm music when I'm playing games like that. It helps me concentrate and destroy faces. When the music is too fast or beat heavy it is too distracting to me and gives me a headache trying to focus when all the noise is coming in my ears.

I don't fault anyone for liking TRIBES music. It's just not for me.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2011
    Tribes 2 was poop. The bases were too big and skiing felt like trying to swim through pea soup.

Tribes 2 skiing took more skill, you had to know a route and you had to actually play against a defender. The skiing was basically the same just speed capped. Also the bases are pretty much the same except it is actually possible to defend on some of them since all the bases in tribes 1 were killed with 1 mortar shot.

Fizban140 on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HYPE!!!!!

Also:

npXHv.png

Haters gonna hate but I liked Tribes: Vengeance

Snowblindvictim on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Tribes 2 skiing took more skill, you had to know a route and you had to actually play against a defender. The skiing was basically the same just speed capped. Also the bases are pretty much the same except it is actually possible to defend on some of them since all the bases in tribes 1 were killed with 1 mortar shot.

No.
    No.
    No.

Stop being so wrong. Wrongy McWrongerson.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I liked Tribes: Vengeance

If the maps weren't so GODDAMNED small, and if it had better vehicles/netcode it would have been good.

The Grappling Hook was so fucking awesome and then if you really started to use it, the server would crash.
    Tribes 2 skiing took more skill

Bullshit. Trying to not die of falling damage was so much harder. Also, you had to tap the jump button manually.

Edith Upwards on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tribes Vengeance had the best grappling gun I've ever used in a video game.

BlueDestiny on
  • Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I made a thread in case anyone wants to get some Legions all up ins (revival of the IA, Tribeskinda game from a couple years back).

Lord_Mordja on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As long as I am still able to dive under the water in my Wildcat, and then use my upward momentum to destroy a Shrike that's trying to strafe me, I'm in.

The ease at which you could turtle in TRIBES 2 was one of the biggest failings of the game.

Edith Upwards on
This discussion has been closed.