As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Feminism [chat]

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, I'm not trying to argue a point so much as mimic the delightful tone of your posts.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Cat wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    Yeah, Pony sure was making an unreasonable point there... cautioning people against the use of hyperbolic rhetoric as a way to foster healthy discussion about issues.

I'm glad Cat and Arivia put him in his place.

So using the word "patriarchy" is "hyperbolic rhetoric", is it?

Back in your corner, thanks.

Thanks for listening, Cat!

See, kids, what happens when you aren't diplomatic enough?

People shut you out.

Cat if you think that feminists outside of feminist discussion circles don't drop the patriarchy as though it were a singular monolithic entity, undermining their points because it makes them sound like hippies complaining about The Man

well

I'm not sure what to say to that, really.

And don't accuse me of concern trolling.

Pony on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

So using the word "patriarchy" is "hyperbolic rhetoric", is it?

Back in your corner, thanks.

irony, refined

Rent on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know what, fine

you guys suck

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know what, fine

you guys suck

I'm glad you went and did things.

I am sorry you are trashed (I assume you mean tired and not drunk?)

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    urge to bump ye olde "awful jokes thread" is rising

Tav on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, I should finish watching Black Books.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    like it amuses me to no end that cat in one sentence expresses outrage over perceived intentionally antagonistic wording in her statements and then follows that with intentionally antagonistic wording in her statement

Rent on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    oh boy I was going to like this chat :c

you're pretty cool.

i hope this helps you like the chat more!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, I should finish watching Black Books.

Indeed.

Less pony-related issues more Dylan Moran!

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, like all jargon, feminist jargon works just fine in feminist discussion circles, be they academic or online.

When two women are discussing rape culture amongst themselves, they know exactly what each other means by that term, and it conveys a shared notion easily and non-confusingly.

Like all jargon, however, when used flippantly and aggressively outside of the circles it was created for, it ends up making the conversation about explaining the jargon instead of discussing the issues the jargon is describing.

Pony on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man alive I love g&t. Anyone here play dragons age origins I have to see if I'm a retard.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man alive I love g&t. Anyone here play dragons age origins I have to see if I'm a retard.

what's up?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    You know Cat, maybe it seems like trolling to you but it sort of rankles men when we're treating like potential rapists by virtue of having a penis.

So the kind of rhetoric that the more extreme feminists use can kindly fuck off, we'll work with the ones who don't see half the population as someone they're at war with.

You and the fellow above you also need to read that article.

Failing to understand that term, when its been explained on this forum over and over, marks you only as not paying attention, or as wilfully sabotaging the conversation. You don't have a legitimate claim to offense here, all you're doing is re-posting a false definition of that term and acting like its the truth.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i think

if i were to distill pony's arguement down to one sentence

it would be

"you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

Rent on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    oh boy I was going to like this chat :c

you're pretty cool.

i hope this helps you like the chat more!
    heehee <3

seriously though I clicked the thread title and went :D and then I read the contents and went :(

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

:?:

Pony on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yes. And I dont take it seriously. I have made no spreadsheets. What up, Preach?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I played it about halfway through

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wazilla wrote: »
    You know what, fine

you guys suck

I'm glad you went and did things.

I am sorry you are trashed (I assume you mean tired and not drunk?)

Tired, yeah. I never climbed outside much and it's been almost a year since I last did, plus we picked a spot that has some pretty sharp rock. My hands are tender and I'm just ready to fall over and die.

It was fun though. Got to spend time with good people and enjoy the nice weather that we'll briefly enjoy :P

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know Cat, maybe it seems like trolling to you but it sort of rankles men when we're treating like potential rapists by virtue of having a penis.

So the kind of rhetoric that the more extreme feminists use can kindly fuck off, we'll work with the ones who don't see half the population as someone they're at war with.

Failing to understand that term, when its been explained on this forum over and over, marks you only as not paying attention, or as wilfully sabotaging the conversation. You don't have a legitimate claim to offense here, all you're doing is re-posting a false definition of that term and acting like its the truth.

I'm not, and have not, spoken about any single word. Only tone. Do you seriously not think your rhetoric might be off when even a bunch of guys who are ardent feminists can't stand the things you say?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok origins players, did you ever use the off set weapons in origins to give your bros bows prior to an enemy closing the distance?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    no, that sounds kind of weird

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Except I read that article when you linked it.

Interesting! I had no idea of that origin or usage of the term. That wasn't how it was presented to me (by feminists!) nor how I used to see it used.

The definition I posted was the definition I was familiar with, because of my interactions with feminist friends of mine and discussions with feminists I was a party to.

I've also seen the term used, more often than either definition we posted, in the way Arivia used it in this very thread: To dismiss something a man is saying because a man is saying it.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok origins players, did you ever use the off set weapons in origins to give your bros bows prior to an enemy closing the distance?

you...you could do this? I didn't notice because my party was basically 2 mages, an archer, and me who was a very pissed off warrior.

I feel kinda silly now

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Every bro had a bow on my team. Alistair took crossbow, I took bow and Leilana took bow.

I mostly used them for boss fights (Brood Mother), but sometimes Id use them when enemies were approaching. Give them all points TOWARDS archery is a different matter.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

that seems like more work than that game needed.

if i was playing a melee guy i just closed into melee like a boss

i mean i understand the theory behind that but unless you mixed archery and melee talents (and why would you?) the small amount of damage you'd do with the bow before switching to melee was a joke

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

you...you could do this? I didn't notice because my party was basically 2 mages, an archer, and me who was a very pissed off warrior.

I feel kinda silly now

It was an option, and its gone in DA 2 and someone called me feeble minded because I said it was a mostly unused option. Seems like a lot of people didn't bother, aside from stevemarks, but he's weird anyway.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FUCKING ASSHOLES

My mom took me out to dinner, but I wasn't that hungry so I bounced early with a takeout container

on the walk back to my place this fucking piece of shit drives next to me with his car, shouting all the things he wants to do to my body, while his buddies laugh in the back

When I finally manage to get out of the parking lot they turn into the drive thru and yell 'whore' after me

i hope they fucking choke

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    You know why I'm opposing you on this, Pony? Because I've tried polite and nice before, and it makes not a bit of difference. Not at all. There's always always some fucking asshole who's looking for a fight and who will twist your words into BOO HOO WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN no matter what you type.

So I save my energy, and retain my right to participate in vigorous debate without policing myself into silence. I flat out do not care if you object to that, because your objections are an unreasonable set of expectations and don't even help in the end.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    plus, it kinda reinforces your persona as kind of a badass, cat.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    dang, cass, I'm sorry that happened :(

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I feel kinda silly now

It was an option, and its gone in DA 2 and someone called me feeble minded because I said it was a mostly unused option. Seems like a lot of people didn't bother, aside from stevemarks, but he's weird anyway.

Hey man, I said for BOSSES. And sometimes if dudes were really far away.

Im going to go ahead and say that for about 97% of the game I never touched offhand weapons.

Im not mad they are gone from DA2.

Though this bossfight in DA2 is pissing me off something fierce.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It is possible to debate vigorously without being an enormous goose. Just putting that out there.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FUCKING ASSHOLES

My mom took me out to dinner, but I wasn't that hungry so I bounced early with a takeout container

on the walk back to my place this fucking piece of shit drives next to me with his car, shouting all the things he wants to do to my body, while his buddies laugh in the back

When I finally manage to get out of the parking lot they turn into the drive thru and yell 'whore' after me

:shock:
    jesus
    I agree with that sentiment, cass

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You know why I'm opposing you on this, Pony? Because I've tried polite and nice before, and it makes not a bit of difference. Not at all. There's always always some fucking asshole who's looking for a fight and who will twist your words into BOO HOO WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN no matter what you type.

So I save my energy, and retain my right to participate in vigorous debate without policing myself into silence. I flat out do not care if you object to that, because your objections are an unreasonable set of expectations and don't even help in the end.

I find that unfortunate but understandable!

let's not fight

you and i agree on far more important things than the things we disagree on

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the only time I could have seen that helping, Preacher, is the fight when you first encounter Zevran in DA:O

oh and I guess all the dragon fights. kinda.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cass, that sucks

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FUCKING ASSHOLES

We will find them. And we will destroy them.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

oh where did i put that post oh here it is

[strike]thanatos[/strike] cat

i want you to look at all the rage that you have made all these past couple of years

and i want you to ask yourself

did any of that, any of it, make an actual difference

at all

no offense bro, i mean i was just like you a couple of years ago

but really it doesn't do anything but make people think you're a douchebag

Rent on
This discussion has been closed.