As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plant nerds, represent!

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mimosa it is! What a weird little plant

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    why is that plant moving?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think Kalanchoe tubiflora is my favorite plant. It is called the mother of millions for good reason. Little buds form all over it and drop off. Each one can quickly grow into another plant.

It makes a fairly good heart poison too.

Foolproof on
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

the one in the gif has a woody stem and is large but the ones I am familiar with are smaller and more fern like. The entire plant will pull itself shut until it looks like just a stick. You can get the seeds at a plant store and grow your own easily. It is a great way to mess with your stoner friends.

Foolproof on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Plants are probably way more diverse than animals, because they've been around longer.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Putting our Fedco order in soon. That always makes me happy. Even though there's still a foot of snow on the ground ordering seeds for the garden is therapeutic after 4 and a half months of winter.

iamthepieman on
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mimosa_Pudica.gif

My mom always called those 'Touch-me-nots."

Cogliostro on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That is awesome.

I had a corn plant for a few years that I really liked. It survived some awful incidents. Then it got an ant infestation when my apartment had an ant problem and some other stuff happened and I no longer have it.

I kind of want a banzai tree though.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

many plants are capable of some form of relatively rapid movement of their leaves or other structures

surely you've heard of venus flytraps?

as far as the how, it depends on the species but basically tends to involve changes in turgor effected by changing water volume in vacuoles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_plant_movement

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ruJ6r.jpg

lithops? lithops!

That looks like a bouquet of mutilated peni.

So tell me about the evolution of thorns and other defensive measures plants have! Thats fascinating.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    lettuce do the plant puns till they are knot funny

Foolproof on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dru do carnivorous plants smell bad? Or since they are all different plants only some of them do?

Blake T on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    Dru do carnivorous plants smell bad? Or since they are all different plants only some of them do?

only some

some are quite sweet smelling

Brolo on
    edited March 2011
    Blake T wrote: »

I can't say that none do as I hardly have an exhaustive knowledge of all carnivorous species. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some plants had a scent like rotting flesh to lure in prey. Hell, some plants use such a scent to lure flies as pollinators. However, most cultivated carnivorous plants don't really have much of a noticeable scent. Apparently the dew on sundews smells sweet to insects. And the liquid in some pitcher plants I believe also smells attractive to many insects.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    ruJ6r.jpg

lithops? lithops!

That looks like a bouquet of mutilated peni.

So tell me about the evolution of thorns and other defensive measures plants have! Thats fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDkLFcCZyI&feature=related

Brolo on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ruJ6r.jpg

lithops? lithops!

PLANT GROWS MANY CEREBELLUMS
    HAS NO USE FOR THEM

Tam on
    edited March 2011
    Brolo on
    edited March 2011
    I'll show you a morpho phallus titanum

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My favorite is Saturn!

oh wait Plant nerds

My favorite is Marijuana!

But seriously growing shit is awesome, I was the gardener at some gov't buildings in the city for about 3 years, nobody could top my impatients.

Should take some pics of the sweet vine we have growing on our wall.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited March 2011
    Staleg were you the one being upset that people were trivializing your problems with quitting weed?

Artreus on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I tried to grow some vegetables on my fire escape, but it doesn't get much sun. I got some tomato plants to sprout, but that's about it. In a season, I grew enough lettuce and arugula for one salad (though it was a really good salad).

The rosemary plant is doing pretty well, though.

I want to move into a house with a yard that gets lots of sun.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    edited March 2011
    Then I got over it cause I'm not a baby

What does that have to do with appreciating the plant, anyway?

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited March 2011
    I don't know. Nothin.

I sure do like plants though.

Had a cactus when I was a kid. And my grandmother had a sunroom with a lot of large plants. It was a nice room.

Artreus on
    edited March 2011
    My cactus that I got when I first moved out on my own still survives in my mom's kitchen.

It is so much larger now.

Plants that you have to make an effort to kill are so great

Staleghoti on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We've got some really nice spring plants at work, muscari, hyacinth, daffodils, ranunculus, peony and primulas.

I currently have an anthurium (which is refusing to flowe this year, I think I need some tropical plant feed), a spider plant and a light pink ranunculus in my room. The ranunculus will die in a month or so, but the other two I've had for over a year.

Liiya on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    spider plants cannot die

ever

you can try and kill them, but it will fail, and it will just get angry at you

PiptheFair on
    edited March 2011
    It's a good job, because I often forget to water them! It's trying to make babies all over the place and sending shoots out. Silly bugger, there's no other soil around.

Liiya on
    edited March 2011
    My mum's spider plant had a little baby on a stalk that reached the goddamn carpet

That plant wanted to take over the house

Hell, she might still have it

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited March 2011
    It is doing exactly that! Maybe I will let it make a baby, I feel kinda bad. It might get depressed if not.

Liiya on
    edited March 2011
    Why won't you let me have babies?!

And then it cries for hours at a time

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited March 2011
    God, I don't need that keeping me awake at night.

Liiya on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    marijuana really is a very pretty plant, actually.

man i can't wait for summer. big ol' friendly bumblebees buzzin around my grandma's ENORMOUS flower garden, all polinatin they shits. my grandma's garden fuckin owns. so nice to just sit on the porch with a glass of tea and my pipe in the summertime. my TOBACCO pipe, by the way.

Metzger Meister on
    edited March 2011
    My nana has a giant buddleja. Butterflies and bumblebees all over the place. Love it

Even when she has me repotting plants and stuff it is a nice garden to be in

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bumblebees are fucking cool. i swear to god the ones out by my house are the size of my thumb. all fat and fuzzy. bees rule.

there are these little purple flowers in my grandma's garden, dunno what the hell they are, but the bees absolutely love em. they like the snapdragons too.

Metzger Meister on
  • .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    rhylith wrote: »
    One of these motherfuckers

260xStory.jpg

bloomed here last year. Part of me wishes I wasn't working stupid overtime at the time and had gotten a chance to see it. The other part of me is glad I didn't have to smell it.

It was awful.

I grow a lot of plants. Vegetables, herbs, shrubs, trees.
    Right now, since I have not started planting for this year yet, we only have fig, Meyer lemon (which is ridiculous in the sheer amount of fruits it produces), and Lemon Drop shrubs. Basil, Spearmint, and Catnip. An apple tree and a very productive pecan tree. Then a lot of various other plants in the yard. Croton, Dogwood, Roses, Aloe Vera, Amaryliss. Tons of house plants. Some ivy. Succulents. Recently, we've gotten ostrich ferns to grow. Although, they don't make it far because I pick the fiddleheads and eat them.

Next weekend, I will start seeds with my nephew. Fun stuff.
    And don't tell Tonkka, but I sent him a packet of catnip seeds. I hope he grows them.

. on
    Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm thinking I'm going to border my garden with a rosemary hedge. I love me some rosemary in cooking and it's so easy to grow too.

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited March 2011
    I love rosemary so much

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    I love rosemary so much

rosemary is pretty easy

you might wanna get checked out bro

PiptheFair on
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pipe, you should box and send me some fresh mangos

HellaJeff on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Snap

I have a spearmint that is the greediest plant of all time. I made the mistake of planting it in a big pot with all my other herbs last summer and it raped them all and grew till there was no nourishment left in the dirt and all its leaves became bitter and tough.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.