As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android] thread - Phones and tablets in all shapes, sizes and desert flavors

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, sorry to keep asking so many questions but...Contacts.

The default way android has it setup is that all my facebook, all my yahoo, all my google, contacts are all in one big clusterfuck.

I just one a simple, separate, phone only, address book.

EDIT: Hrm, I can probably just use the default contact list and just have it show my phone contacts instead of all.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, sorry to keep asking so many questions but...Contacts.

The default way android has it setup is that all my facebook, all my yahoo, all my google, contacts are all in one big clusterfuck.

I just one a simple, separate, phone only, address book.

EDIT: Hrm, I can probably just use the default contact list and just have it show my phone contacts instead of all.

Facebook and Twitter and such will only sync your contacts to the address book if you tell each app to do so, so I guess you did that. You'll want to go to those apps and turn the syncing off. I find it useful to have them sync to contacts I already have.

Lewisham on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I just went through and manually entered my phone list from my old phone and just linked the accounts to the people I had in it to their various other accounts and then set it to show my phone list as default in my contact list, so it is effectively what I want anyway. Plus having all my other social contacts will be nice given the versatility of the phone.

I'm still coming to grips with the fact that I can pretty much do anything with this thing, that, you know, it's not just a phone. It makes sense to have my facebook people there because you can do facebook on it.

Every other phone I've ever owned was just that. A phone. It's just gonna take some getting used to is all.

The Dude With Herpes on

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    Is there a way to remove all of my Facebook contacts from my contact list? I want the default to be just phone contacts, nothing else. I can't seem to find any way to get rid of it and it's driving me up a fucking wall when I want to make a call. I'm using a Droid X, by the way.

contacts -> menu button -> "show", then uncheck the ones you don't want to see

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    Is there a way to remove all of my Facebook contacts from my contact list? I want the default to be just phone contacts, nothing else. I can't seem to find any way to get rid of it and it's driving me up a fucking wall when I want to make a call. I'm using a Droid X, by the way.

contacts -> menu button -> "show", then uncheck the ones you don't want to see

Huh, Google is the only one that shows up and it's unchecked (though it is still in my contacts list). Facebook is nowhere to be seen. :?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dedian wrote: »
    Crashtard wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in getting a tablet on the cheap to try out, Tiger Direct has a recertified archos 70 internet tablet right now for $99: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=19180&Sku=A685-0068RB&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2002-_-CatId_1_A685-0068RB

I have one, and I've been pretty happy with it overall.

Man... resistive touchscreen? Hmm, guess since it's older?

They have it incorrectly listed in the email, so it's actually the wrong device. Sorry about that.

To be clear, this device (the Home tablet) does have the older touchscreen. The newer Internet tablet has a multi-touch screen, which is what I have. It's pretty nice for the price, which is usually around $260.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Picked up an "HTC Desire HD".

Good choice? Any App recommendations?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Very good choice, love the screen on that thing.

I just found out that 2.3 is available for the San Francisco (ZTE Blade) now. In two minds, I could upgrade to that or the Rev12 2.2 Rom which is said to improve battery life. Or I could stick with this 2.2 version and not have to get it all set up over again.

Big Classy on
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lockscreen.pnghomescreen.png

I finally got my Incredible's lock/homescreens setup. The default look is so ugly

IvanIssacs on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh god the Desire HD is a sweet phone!

How did I ever live without a real, proper smartphone???

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ordered a car dock for my tab

seven inch gps, here i come

Evander on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    Oh god the Desire HD is a sweet phone!

How did I ever live without a real, proper smartphone???

I bought a budget android phone, the San Francisco but it us incredible. Had it for a good few months now and I have no idea how I'd manage without it. Silly amount of things you could do with it. Really only changed the launcher to launcher pro. Using the standard email, music and calendar apps.

The only thing I'd recommend is a game called backbreaker based on the console versions. Tried it on the Desire HD and it was fantastic.

Big Classy on
    edited March 2011
    Having only had it a few days now, I have nothing but good things to say about my droid x. I have large hands so the extra size is very nice. My wife got an Incredible, which is great for her, but for me I like having less presets and baked in features that HTC puts on their android phones. Plus I got it for a cent so yeah. Its an "older" phone at this point, but if you're looking for something powerful and cheap, I don’t think one could be disappointed.

The Dude With Herpes on

• CharlesVICharlesVI Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey I'm in the market for a tablet and it seems most of them are running android now. I'm just looking for a wifi enabled internet device. Also for pdfs and simple games can I get any recommendations or horror stories to steer me. I'm trying to keep it under 200$ Bonus if it can be used for computer art with gimp and the likes.

CharlesVI on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    $200 is pretty low I think you're going to hear alot of "Root the Color Nook"... what you need to make sure of is avoiding the entry level crap they sell at like Walgreens... nothing but pain there.

useless4 on
    edited March 2011
    useless4 wrote: »
    $200 is pretty low I think you're going to hear alot of "Root the Color Nook"... what you need to make sure of is avoiding the entry level crap they sell at like Walgreens... nothing but pain there.

That was my first thought.

Lewisham on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm posting from a rooted nook color right now. I'd say this is definitely what you want if you don't mind doing some easy work to make it a tablet.

Ranced on
    edited March 2011
    Ranced wrote: »
    I'm posting from a rooted nook color right now. I'd say this is definitely what you want if you don't mind doing some easy work to make it a tablet.

Are you running Honeycomb or Froyo?

Lewisham on
    edited March 2011
    I do not mind at all. Is rooting a fairly safe process or do I run the risk of bricking it?

Is it fair to say then that most stuff like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Android-Tablet-800mhz-802-11b-Camera/dp/B004Q7LA16/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1299895177&sr=1-8

is worse than the nook?
    Thanks for the help.

CharlesVI on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, this month will determine whether or not I pick up an Xperia Play. I'm interested to see what people say about it when it releases.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited March 2011
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Ranced wrote: »

Are you running Honeycomb or Froyo?

Running stock (eclair) with oc kernel. Works great though I've been meaning to get HC on my SD card and boot it from there just to see how it is. I won't consider switching to it until they have a complete version up.

I've heard good things about the latest froyo for nook, but I'm not willing to part with the B&N e-reader software just yet. The nook app isn't a good enough replacement for me. I will probably try out a bootable version down the road and see how I like it.

Charles: It's practically unbrickable since it will always let the user boot from the microsd.

Ranced on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    So, this month will determine whether or not I pick up an Xperia Play. I'm interested to see what people say about it when it releases.

be warned that the SE Android bootloaders have thus far resisted any attempts to break it, so flashing new kernels will be impossible, and SE is pretty bad at providing updates

fine if you're okay with running vanilla software, but if you're all about the cyanogens, you may want to stay away

e: this may change once the Play comes out and there's actual attention paid to breaking the bootloader, of course...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CharlesVI wrote: »
    I do not mind at all. Is rooting a fairly safe process or do I run the risk of bricking it?

Is it fair to say then that most stuff like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Android-Tablet-800mhz-802-11b-Camera/dp/B004Q7LA16/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1299895177&sr=1-8

is worse than the nook?
    Thanks for the help.

holy crap yes that is worse than the nook

look at it, there isn't even a manufacturer listed

Centipede Damascus on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm probably about to get my 3rd htc desire, or a repair
    1st had issues with the display being totally pink if brightness was not at max
    2nd has now enough dust under the cover glass to fill a small desert
    3 times' the charm.. but I'm getting more pessimistic about HTC build quality.. if they suck that much at it with their former flag ship phone..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    realized this morning that my phone seemed extra bright since the switch the gingerbread. turned it down and hope that is the cause of my sucky battery.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I were to find myself in possession of a xoom and also a library of videos and music from the zune network. Now normally I stream my videos and music to my xbox but I have still to figure out how to get my zune assets onto honeycomb. Is there an app for that?

JacksWastedLife on
  • DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mts wrote: »
    realized this morning that my phone seemed extra bright since the switch the gingerbread. turned it down and hope that is the cause of my sucky battery.

Settings > Abount Phone > Battery Use will give you a good breakdown (and a pretty graph at the top, if you tap it, it breaks down the drains at specific times). My display has used 68% of battery :/

Dedian on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I'm fairly new to this whole Android thing, and I have a question that I'm not sure how to put into Google to find the answer.

I've got an LG Ally, and it has 150MB of internal storage. Currently, I only have about 9MB left of free space. I want to somehow free more space internally but I'm not sure how to get beyond where I am at. The phone is rooted, and I've used Move2SD enabler to move all the apps I can from internal to SD. However, apps I use widgets with so far as I know you shouldn't move, and of course the junk apps included with the phone won't move.

Apps installed on internal storage:
    Twitter 2.73MB
    Springpad 2.39MB
    Agenda Widget 1.62MB
    Snowstorm 844KB
    Clock Widget 328KB
    Battery Widget 260KB
    Move2SD Enabler 112KB
    Maps 9.87MB
    Facebook 6.33MB
    GMail 4.47MB
    Market 3.03MB
    ADW.Launcher 1.83MB
    TasKiller 384KB
    Wifi Toggle Widget 76KB

Total Internal Apps: ~35MB

This tells me there is a LOT of crap taking up my internal space that doesn't get listed with App2SD and probably can't be moved by conventional means.

What's the best way to see what is taking up space on the internal memory and if it's safe to remove it completely or at least force it to the SD card?

Completely unrelated:
    Is there a way to stop services from starting that I never use? I don't use Skype or the Backup program, but both can't be removed from the phone and both continue to take up the limited resources that the phone has to begin with by auto-starting, despite the fact I've never started the app.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So I'm fairly new to this whole Android thing, and I have a question that I'm not sure how to put into Google to find the answer.

I've got an LG Ally, and it has 150MB of internal storage. Currently, I only have about 9MB left of free space. I want to somehow free more space internally but I'm not sure how to get beyond where I am at. The phone is rooted, and I've used Move2SD enabler to move all the apps I can from internal to SD. However, apps I use widgets with so far as I know you shouldn't move, and of course the junk apps included with the phone won't move.

Apps installed on internal storage:
    Twitter 2.73MB
    Springpad 2.39MB
    Agenda Widget 1.62MB
    Snowstorm 844KB
    Clock Widget 328KB
    Battery Widget 260KB
    Move2SD Enabler 112KB
    Maps 9.87MB
    Facebook 6.33MB
    GMail 4.47MB
    Market 3.03MB
    ADW.Launcher 1.83MB
    TasKiller 384KB
    Wifi Toggle Widget 76KB

Total Internal Apps: ~35MB

This tells me there is a LOT of crap taking up my internal space that doesn't get listed with App2SD and probably can't be moved by conventional means.

What's the best way to see what is taking up space on the internal memory and if it's safe to remove it completely or at least force it to the SD card?

Completely unrelated:
    Is there a way to stop services from starting that I never use? I don't use Skype or the Backup program, but both can't be removed from the phone and both continue to take up the limited resources that the phone has to begin with by auto-starting, despite the fact I've never started the app.

If you have root, install Titanium Backup, and remove the apps you don't want (backup if you want?).

Dedian on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If TB can't remove the apps, it can at least 'freeze' them. It kind of works like the quarantine feature in anti-virus software. The app can't run and is kind of sealed off. Some carrier bloatware can't be uninstalled, even by TB, so freezing is generally the easiest and most effective option in those cases.

Cyvros on
  • BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    First time posting in the technology tavern, sorry if the question doesn't belong in this thread.

I was curious if anymore information has been leaked about the galaxy tab 10.1 or whatever the hell they are calling it. Preferably release date and pricing. Also, if anyone would care to share their opinion on it. Or comparisons even, to the xoom that is.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have an app of the week: RemoteDroid. It basically turns your Android device into a wireless touchpad for your Desktop. It does, of course, require a small application for your computer, but that's a minor inconvenience for an app that lets me to turn on movies from the comfort of my bed. I've used my wireless mouse for this purpose before, but even that can be a bit cumbersome.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have an app of the week: RemoteDroid. It basically turns your Android device into a wireless touchpad for your Desktop. It does, of course, require a small application for your computer, but that's a minor inconvenience for an app that lets me to turn on movies from the comfort of my bed. I've used my wireless mouse for this purpose before, but even that can be a bit cumbersome.

RemoteDroid is fantastic. I use it to run my HTPC

JacksWastedLife on
    edited March 2011
    So I am pretty Sold on the 250 Color Nook. It looks like everything I want. I intend to root it. Before I move on this is anyone willing (or able) to be devils advocate for something else in its price range or sell me on why those 400-500 tablets are worth the extra cost?

CharlesVI on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The 400-500 tablets are a lot more powerful, and probably have a lot more storage than the nook would. But this is just guessing since one is an ereader and the others are actual tablets.

I'm loving Android, and I'm starting to really dig into root, roms, and all sorts of other customizations. However, as helpful as the community is, it seems to be nearly impossible to find CLEAR directions on how to do anything. I have to read this post here, that post there, follow these instructions first, but before them make sure you do this and read that, don't do this, and make sure you do this, and among all of these things are seemingly random bits of code and commands that are probably essential and important, yet not very well documented.

There seems to be no simple step-by-step guide of click here, do this, type this, download these programs, etc. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in tech, but even I'm finding all this stuff a bit confusing. Working on trying to get Velocity 1.0 on my LG Ally, but there are conflicting instructions on how to do so, so spending hours reading instructions that in the next post are nowhere to be found in the instructions. :P

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I am pretty Sold on the 250 Color Nook. It looks like everything I want. I intend to root it. Before I move on this is anyone willing (or able) to be devils advocate for something else in its price range or sell me on why those 400-500 tablets are worth the extra cost?

It's just an issue of power. One is designed with the goal of displaying text, the others are designed for broader use.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited March 2011

It's about specs. It's really not as capable as a Xoom (rumored $550 range for wifi) would be. If that's in your price range, I'd wait it out a bit longer and see how that turns out. Though I wouldn't compare the Nook Color's power to an e-reader. The hardware is much too powerful to be solely designed as one.

To turn the NC into a tablet, you're going to need to drop another $20 for a good class 6 microsd, just to let you know.

Ranced on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The 400-500 tablets are a lot more powerful, and probably have a lot more storage than the nook would. But this is just guessing since one is an ereader and the others are actual tablets.

I'm loving Android, and I'm starting to really dig into root, roms, and all sorts of other customizations. However, as helpful as the community is, it seems to be nearly impossible to find CLEAR directions on how to do anything. I have to read this post here, that post there, follow these instructions first, but before them make sure you do this and read that, don't do this, and make sure you do this, and among all of these things are seemingly random bits of code and commands that are probably essential and important, yet not very well documented.

There seems to be no simple step-by-step guide of click here, do this, type this, download these programs, etc. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in tech, but even I'm finding all this stuff a bit confusing. Working on trying to get Velocity 1.0 on my LG Ally, but there are conflicting instructions on how to do so, so spending hours reading instructions that in the next post are nowhere to be found in the instructions. :P

Regarding instructions, agreed. I wrote up a step-by-step for flashing ROMs and custom themes on the Droid X (I think it's in the OP) because of the number of hours it took me to find the relevant info and piece together how to actually do it. Part of the problem is the fragmentation of the platform. What works for the Droid X probably won't work for a Galaxy S phone.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bullio wrote: »

Regarding instructions, agreed. I wrote up a step-by-step for flashing ROMs and custom themes on the Droid X (I think it's in the OP) because of the number of hours it took me to find the relevant info and piece together how to actually do it. Part of the problem is the fragmentation of the platform. What works for the Droid X probably won't work for a Galaxy S phone.

The other side fo the problem is that certain tech inclined people value their ability a little too highly, and are afraid that if they give clear instructions to others then they themselves will be less valuable. I can't begin to tell you the number of times that I'm looking for something in XDA, and it takes hours longer than it should have because some jerk feels superior refusing to dumb down an over-complicated explanation of a simple process.

I have immense appreciation and respect for those who realize that they are awesome, not for holding secret information, but for figuring out how to do things that the rest of us can't figure out, and then bringing that information to us, like Prometheus brought fire to man.

Evander on
    edited March 2011
    Could not agree more. I cant tell you how many times I've struggled over a coding example to figure it out and wonder why they did not just explain it clearly or simply. Explaining to someone how to open a file for example should not also include instructions on how to turn your computer on, identifying the difference between left and right, create a new file, and then the answer (double click it). but thats just a rant. thanks for all the info and help on tablets everyone. Thinking ill go w/ the nook though I wish it had a mic and camera.

CharlesVI on
This discussion has been closed.