As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jokerman wrote: »
    OP implies that everyone in the AF flies planes.

You can list me in the AF as a SSgt, Air Transportation.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to put a picture of someone doing paper work behind a desk.

Also, the real travesty is apparently the picture i have for the navy is some guy in a halloween costume.

I just thought it was funny. Do you want to be this guy? ...or this guy? ...or fly this? At least put a picture of an Airman in there.

Once again, doing what? sitting behind a desk filling out paperwork? I'm trying to show the exciting side of the military that only exist in things recruiters tell highschoolers.

Oh wait, I get it! You're making some kind of joke about how the AF is full of desk workers. That's cute.

Could try to find a picture of para rescue in action, I hear they are pretty bad ass.

Yoshua on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yoshua wrote: »
    Could try to find a picture of para rescue in action, I hear they are pretty bad ass.

I'm in training with two PJs. They are really in a class of their own.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011

I'm sorry, I didn't want to put a picture of someone doing paper work behind a desk.

Also, the real travesty is apparently the picture i have for the navy is some guy in a halloween costume.

I just thought it was funny. Do you want to be this guy? ...or this guy? ...or fly this? At least put a picture of an Airman in there.

Once again, doing what? sitting behind a desk filling out paperwork? I'm trying to show the exciting side of the military that only exist in things recruiters tell highschoolers.

So shouldn't all the branches be of people behind a desk then? Pretty sure every branch has a ton of office jobs, the army has more than anyone else.

Fizban140 on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Laemkral wrote: »
    I believe it goes to UCMJ as that is federal law, which always trumps state and local law. So if it's legal in your state and banned by UCMJ, you still can't do it. This is why service members get turned over to the MPs when they are arrested, so proper jurisdiction can take over.

But otherwise, I have never been told I have to warn folks before a fight.

The one exception to the above is for anyone abroad. SOFA agreements generally give total jurisdiction to the host nation and so you can actually get punished twice. Once by local law, again by American law. I've seen it happen with all the DUIs we've had.

Being an XO has given me incredible insight into the workings of UCMJ because my Company has a lot of issues. A LOT.

My unit had to stop doing article 15's for DUI's if they were off post since it apparently falls under double jeopardy. UCMJ only trumps state and local laws when on a military installation, off base or off post you're under state and local laws.

Who told you that? That's totally false. Military members are subject to UCMJ at all times, regardless of location. If what you say were true, nobody in the military would ever get busted for adultery under UCMJ (which happens all the damn time) because they'd just hit up an off-base hotel.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »

So shouldn't all the branches be of people behind a desk then? Pretty sure every branch has a ton of office jobs, the army has more than anyone else.

.... which is exactly why it's a picture of a cool plane. just like there is a picture of a cool black dude about to jump out of an airplane with a parachute on for the army. I don't jump out of planes. I am also not cool. Or black

who cares you big whiny babbies?

that seaman looks funny though

Feels Good Man on
    edited March 2011
    I believe it goes to UCMJ as that is federal law, which always trumps state and local law. So if it's legal in your state and banned by UCMJ, you still can't do it. This is why service members get turned over to the MPs when they are arrested, so proper jurisdiction can take over.

The one exception to the above is for anyone abroad. SOFA agreements generally give total jurisdiction to the host nation and so you can actually get punished twice. Once by local law, again by American law. I've seen it happen with all the DUIs we've had.

Being an XO has given me incredible insight into the workings of UCMJ because my Company has a lot of issues. A LOT.

My unit had to stop doing article 15's for DUI's if they were off post since it apparently falls under double jeopardy. UCMJ only trumps state and local laws when on a military installation, off base or off post you're under state and local laws.

Who told you that? That's totally false. Military members are subject to UCMJ at all times, regardless of location. If what you say were true, nobody in the military would ever get busted for adultery under UCMJ (which happens all the damn time) because they'd just hit up an off-base hotel.

Poor example since Adultery isn't illegal in most places. Their belief is that since the ones getting DUI's are being charged in civilian court, charging them again in military court (or even simply giving them an article 15) violates double jeopardy.

I know UCMJ affects us anytime and everywhere, I was reporting what has been happening in my unit. What I was trying to say is that, in my unit, they defer charges under UCMJ if civilian charges are pressed.

Yoshua on
    edited March 2011

Poor example since Adultery isn't illegal in most places. Their belief is that since the ones getting DUI's are being charged in civilian court, charging them again in military court (or even simply giving them an article 15) violates double jeopardy.

I know UCMJ affects us anytime and everywhere, I was reporting what has been happening in my unit. What I was trying to say is that, in my unit, they defer charges under UCMJ if civilian charges are pressed.

Gotcha, I just didn't read it that way and didn't want to leave a potentially misleading piece of info there. It's amazing the shit some commanders buy without giving it a second thought.

Iceman.USAF on
  • LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Gotcha, I just didn't read it that way and didn't want to leave a potentially misleading piece of info there. It's amazing the shit some commanders buy without giving it a second thought.

I'm in Germany, so the German govt doesn't fall under double jeopardy. In the US it may be different, but here's why I think that situation is the way it is. Article 111 requires a .10 BAC, whereas most states will tag you at .08. Therefore, it is much easier (and sonetimes quicker) to get a conviction in the civilian court than through UCMJ process. Or Soldiers simply aren't qualifying for UCMJ, which happens here as well.

A smart commander will be basing that judgement to defer to civilian proceedings on advice from their JAG counsel. Mine calls up JAG and TDS for just about every fine detail to make himself smart and get all the details right.

Also, I believe double jeopardy specifically applies only to being tried for the same crime. It could e argued that there is a distinct similarity between state DUI and UCMJ Article 111, but they are two distinct laws. Hence, you could be processed under both (or the more severe one).

Laemkral on
    Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
    edited March 2011

I'm in Germany, so the German govt doesn't fall under double jeopardy. In the US it may be different, but here's why I think that situation is the way it is. Article 111 requires a .10 BAC, whereas most states will tag you at .08. Therefore, it is much easier (and sonetimes quicker) to get a conviction in the civilian court than through UCMJ process. Or Soldiers simply aren't qualifying for UCMJ, which happens here as well.

A smart commander will be basing that judgement to defer to civilian proceedings on advice from their JAG counsel. Mine calls up JAG and TDS for just about every fine detail to make himself smart and get all the details right.

Also, I believe double jeopardy specifically applies only to being tried for the same crime. It could e argued that there is a distinct similarity between state DUI and UCMJ Article 111, but they are two distinct laws. Hence, you could be processed under both (or the more severe one).

Well in one sense it does violate double jeopardy in that you are being punished more than once for the same offense. They may be distinct laws, but they cover the same single crime. AFAIK the only time that is allowed is when adding a conspiracy charge.

But then we enter the murky waters of sovereignty. It has been allowed for federal charges to be assessed along with state charges, that could allow for UCMJ (federal) to go along with the state's DUI charge. But not being a lawyer, this is more speculation than anything else.

Bottom line really is: don't drink and drive, especially in the military. Don't do drugs either, you will get caught eventually.

Yoshua on
    edited March 2011

Bottom line really is: don't drink and drive, especially in the military. Don't do drugs either, you will get caught eventually.

Oh, if only it were that easy. But then again, I've become jaded and cynical about junior enlisted being able to be rational.

Laemkral on
    edited March 2011

Oh, if only it were that easy. But then again, I've become jaded and cynical about junior enlisted being able to be rational.

It's not just the E4 and below though. We have an E5 (who is, or was, getting ready for E6) get a DUI during our block leave following deployment. But you're right, you can bend over backwards to accommodate people and they will continue to do the wrong thing. We have a DUI fund at staff duty, it gets used, but we still have people who don't use it. We make people aware of all the different avenues of getting home for free during the holidays (AAA does this, and you don't have to be a member). We even have dozens of volunteers to be DD's or at least come pick foks up (myself included). And they STILL insist on driving drunk.

You can't rest the problem at the feet of the junior enlisted, looking at the blotters I have seen all ranks getting DUI's.

Yoshua on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was in ASAP with a guy who got 2 DUIs in the same day. He got one in the morning after last call, drove home went to sleep, and still blew over the limit the next morning when he got pulled over again.

I drank a lot in the army, but I'm glad I never did anything as stupid as getting a DUI.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

.... which is exactly why it's a picture of a cool plane. just like there is a picture of a cool black dude about to jump out of an airplane with a parachute on for the army. I don't jump out of planes. I am also not cool. Or black

who cares you big whiny babbies?

that seaman looks funny though

That is not really a seaman, pretty sure it's just a guy in a costume.

If you guys want different pictures, less bitching and moping, and more posting what you actualy want.

Jokerman on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here's a good one for the AF:
    86006437.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548AC423872C00B1F1A7633D76D6E2EA9CA5A4A2015B524C4CAE30A760B0D811297

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited March 2011
    I'm a fan of these two. feature01_03.jpg

main_air_force_picture.jpg

Iceman.USAF on
    edited March 2011
    Talking about DUIs...what is everyones thought on them? I never did anything like that while I was in, well once I was a little buzzed but completely able to drive and by far the most sober. I knew people who would drink and drive all the time, they never drove poorly or anything at all, never any danger. I really don't think all the DUI briefings we had and all that bullshit helped at all, some people just think they can drink and drive or they see it as the easiest option. I mean taxis are fucking expensive, and no matter how much your supervision says they want to get the call to come pick you up to avoid a DUI they would get pretty fucking upset if it happened as often as people did drink and drive.

Basically, I don't think there is anything the military can really do to stop it. In my squadron there were maybe a 20 DUIs while I was there (couple years) and I don't think there was a single accident, so maybe it is working in that regard. But as far as I can tell, most people just don't care.

Fizban140 on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You don't have to warn anyone before a fight (though you should be avoiding fights anyways), that is some dumb shit from Con Air.
    Con Air had so many plot holes, but that was a pretty big one.

Army Ranger defends his wife from three drunken yahoos, and he gets convicted of manslaughter? In Alabama? Sure.......

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited March 2011
    Talking about DUIs...what is everyones thought on them? I never did anything like that while I was in, well once I was a little buzzed but completely able to drive and by far the most sober. I knew people who would drink and drive all the time, they never drove poorly or anything at all, never any danger. I really don't think all the DUI briefings we had and all that bullshit helped at all, some people just think they can drink and drive or they see it as the easiest option. I mean taxis are fucking expensive, and no matter how much your supervision says they want to get the call to come pick you up to avoid a DUI they would get pretty fucking upset if it happened as often as people did drink and drive.

Basically, I don't think there is anything the military can really do to stop it. In my squadron there were maybe a 20 DUIs while I was there (couple years) and I don't think there was a single accident, so maybe it is working in that regard. But as far as I can tell, most people just don't care.

AADD, free service that will not only get you but get your car too and drive both home, run by the Air Force.
    We have a mandatory sober squad in every platoon, rotating each weekend. They're going to be sober anyways so may as well take them along and make them DD for you.
    Downtown is literally a 15 minute (if that) walk from the barracks along well lit streets in a nice neighborhood patrolled by both Polizei and MPs/SFs.
    We have a Courtesy Patrol of Officers and Senior NCOs from local units with TMPs under orders to give Soldiers a ride if necessary to prevent a DUI.

To top all that off, if I am going to get a 3AM phone call about a drunk Soldier, because I most certainly will, then I would prefer it to be FROM the Soldier needing a ride to the barracks. Not only does it mean there's no DUI, it'll take less time to do than waiting at the MP station, taking them to the barracks, filling out the OPREP and then the subsequent paperwork and time wasted on ASAP and Article 15/GOMOR. I would be thrilled for a Soldier to call me late at night while I'm asleep to say "Hey sir, I need a ride and have no money and can you please help?" I won't bitch them out, I wouldn't complain once, and when it was done I would go back to sleep and revel in the knowledge that I won't have to hear about it Monday at PT.

Laemkral on
    edited March 2011
    I'm a fan of these two.

I was pulling for a picture of an actual person, not just a picture of an airplane. =p

spookymuffin on
    edited March 2011
    I'm a fan of these two.

I was pulling for a picture of an actual person, not just a picture of an airplane. =p

Now we're getting picky.

There's a great picture that's entirely overused in the Air Force CE community, but it's of a team repairing one end of a runway while a C-17 or C-141 lands in the background. I'll see if I can find it. Or I could just wait I'm sure it'll pop up again in my day to day life shortly haha.

For now, this will do. bagramAirBase2_1600857c.jpg

Iceman.USAF on
    edited March 2011
    we should just make the pictures of an actor from a movie involving a ridiculous representation of the branches

army would be brad pitt from inglorious basterds

marine corps would be will smith from independence day

navy would be tom cruise from top gun

air force would be.... help me out here... starscream from transformers

i don't know any movies that involve the air force specifically though

Feels Good Man on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

AADD, free service that will not only get you but get your car too and drive both home, run by the Air Force.
    We have a mandatory sober squad in every platoon, rotating each weekend. They're going to be sober anyways so may as well take them along and make them DD for you.
    Downtown is literally a 15 minute (if that) walk from the barracks along well lit streets in a nice neighborhood patrolled by both Polizei and MPs/SFs.
    We have a Courtesy Patrol of Officers and Senior NCOs from local units with TMPs under orders to give Soldiers a ride if necessary to prevent a DUI.

To top all that off, if I am going to get a 3AM phone call about a drunk Soldier, because I most certainly will, then I would prefer it to be FROM the Soldier needing a ride to the barracks. Not only does it mean there's no DUI, it'll take less time to do than waiting at the MP station, taking them to the barracks, filling out the OPREP and then the subsequent paperwork and time wasted on ASAP and Article 15/GOMOR. I would be thrilled for a Soldier to call me late at night while I'm asleep to say "Hey sir, I need a ride and have no money and can you please help?" I won't bitch them out, I wouldn't complain once, and when it was done I would go back to sleep and revel in the knowledge that I won't have to hear about it Monday at PT.

Even Cadet Land is getting crazy on the DUI Stuff. We now have our seniors acting as DDs now for the weekend Cadets. DUIs going up or something like that?

Waffles or whatever on
    edited March 2011
    we should just make the pictures of an actor from a movie involving a ridiculous representation of the branches

Army should be Bill Murray from Stripes or Pauly Shore from In the Army Now.

spookymuffin on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The Coast Guard would be stuck with Ashton Kutcher from The Guardian. I never saw it, so no idea if that's a good thing or not.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

YESSSSSSSS! "What kind of training?" "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmy training sirrrrrr!"

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
    edited March 2011
    Air Force gets War Machine. He was an Air Force Lt Col. in the movies.

spookymuffin on
    edited March 2011
    oh that is an excellent point

alright, I concede army to bill murray and air force should be Rhody

make it happen!!!!

Feels Good Man on
    edited March 2011
    I joined the Air Force so I could pilot robot suits with tons of guns on them.

Iron-Man-2-Character-Poster-War-Machine_mid.jpg

Turns out my contract left that part out. =\

spookymuffin on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_0cuVeaecQ&feature=player_embedded

I love these Academy Spirit Videos. US Navy tearing it up to Taio Cruiz.

Waffles or whatever on
    edited March 2011

I should have been more clear, people don't see the harm in it so they do it. It is still a problem to use AADD because then you have to get your car the next day. I don't think there is a way the military (at least air force from my experience) can change it. Most people just don't care that much.

Fizban140 on
  • SekxtionSekxtion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can list me in the OP if you wish.

Air Force / E4 / Aircraft Maintenance (Heavies).

If anyone is thinking of going into, or going into, that career field I'll answer any questions you may have.

Sekxtion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SekxtionSekxtion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm a fan of these two.

Now we're getting picky.

There's a great picture that's entirely overused in the Air Force CE community, but it's of a team repairing one end of a runway while a C-17 or C-141 lands in the background. I'll see if I can find it. Or I could just wait I'm sure it'll pop up again in my day to day life shortly haha.

That's a C17.

Sekxtion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011

I should have been more clear, people don't see the harm in it so they do it. It is still a problem to use AADD because then you have to get your car the next day. I don't think there is a way the military (at least air force from my experience) can change it. Most people just don't care that much.

That's probably quite true. They may not see just how dangerous it is for them to get behind the wheel, even buzzed. That may be something that I'll try bringing up and steering safety briefings towards. Not so much telling them not to do something, but telling them WHY not to do something.

And as I said, AADD here will take you AND your car home. Yeah, that's how far they go in Germany to prevent DUIs.

Laemkral on
    edited March 2011
    Evigilant wrote: »

YESSSSSSSS! "What kind of training?" "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmy training sirrrrrr!"

So many times over, THIS. Classic movie, and I've been told I look a little like Harold Ramis. Also, first appearance of the MRAP. Kinda.

Laemkral on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did not receive a good report regarding my kidney. Two years of attempting to join the military may be coming to a close.

Slider on
    edited March 2011
    Sekxtion wrote: »
    I'm a fan of these two.

Now we're getting picky.

That's a C17.

So I had noticed. It is also is not the picture I was looking for.

Also, best parody I've seen in a while. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9oeOPUuzTg

Iceman.USAF on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait - just so Im clear here.

the USMJC has provisions for adultary? Are you fucking with me? Seriously?

Damn.

I like the Defence Force Discipline Act 1982 WAY better. Its an act of federal government, and is basically supplemental law that military members need to adhere to. So there is no overlap with civilian laws.

Shit like DUI gets your security clearence yanked and gets you months of extras, so people avoid it like the plague.

Seriously, adultary, WTF America, stay out of peoples bedrooms!

MrIamMe on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The UCMJ has provisions for sodomy. Seriously, it's against UCMJ to get a blowjob. That doesn't mean it ever gets enforced.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    edited March 2011

That's probably quite true. They may not see just how dangerous it is for them to get behind the wheel, even buzzed. That may be something that I'll try bringing up and steering safety briefings towards. Not so much telling them not to do something, but telling them WHY not to do something.

And as I said, AADD here will take you AND your car home. Yeah, that's how far they go in Germany to prevent DUIs.

Stateside they would not take your car, they started getting pretty strict with AADD because people were abusing it actually.

Fizban140 on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Wait - just so Im clear here.

the USMJC has provisions for adultary? Are you fucking with me? Seriously?

Damn.

I like the Defence Force Discipline Act 1982 WAY better. Its an act of federal government, and is basically supplemental law that military members need to adhere to. So there is no overlap with civilian laws.

Shit like DUI gets your security clearence yanked and gets you months of extras, so people avoid it like the plague.

Seriously, adultary, WTF America, stay out of peoples bedrooms!
    I'm guessing the biggest problem with adultery is when one member of the military is sleeping with another's spouse. That's just asking for trouble, much moreso than in the civilian world. I'm betting most adultery charges come out of such a situation, rather than cases where someone in the military is having an affair with a civilian's spouse.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

This discussion has been closed.