As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT] ME FIVE!

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I watched the Princess and the Frog last night. It took them a long-ass time to finally go with a black leading character and it made me wonder how long it will take for a gay leading character to show up in a Disney movie. 50 years after a coordinated civil rights movement sound about right?

emnmnme on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I watched the Princess and the Frog last night. It took them a long-ass time to finally go with a black leading character and it made me wonder how long it will take for a gay leading character to show up in a Disney movie. 50 years after a coordinated civil rights movement sound about right?

It was a bad movie though.

Daxon on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This part with the baby in Paranormal Activity 2 should be really creepy but its just funny.

stevemarks44 on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I hate time changes. So much.

Seriously. I loathe daylight savings.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Uncle_Remus_1946.jpg

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you are a lesbian Asian youth in high school in Massachusetts, it's even odds you attempted suicide in the last year, says the Massachusetts Youth Risk Behavior Survey.

D:

MrMister on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    I hate time changes. So much.

Seriously. I loathe daylight savings.
    Really sucked to have it take place during PAX, let me tell you.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Amazing, Firefox stops running like crap when I nuke the Real Player install that I did to watch one of the Japanese news sites.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MrMister wrote: »
    If you are a lesbian Asian youth in high school in Massachusetts, it's even odds you attempted suicide in the last year, says the Massachusetts Youth Risk Behavior Survey.

D:

Asians in massachusetts? So one attempted suicide and the other talked them down?

Joking aside thats kind of fucked up.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

D:

bad statistics make pony sad

Pony on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    japan wrote: »
    the issue brought up in the Etsy thread is pretty interesting. "internet starup CEO madness" at it's finest.

And hopefully this will hit some of the young people close enough to home to actually start paying attention to what they post online.

Thing is that this isn't really about posting stuff online. It's a marketplace website. People gave them their details for the purpose of buying stuff. It's like if Amazon suddenly decided they were going to make a page about you with your real name and everything you've bought, and then let google index it.

There is a deeper issue here though: If you give information to a website, regardless of that sites purpose, you no longer control that information.

It's like those silly posts people put on facebook warning other users about the latest security problem or privacy settings change. There is no way to control information you post on facebook / amazon / etsy / whoever. So just think a little more before you post in the first place. That is the last and only choice you have in what happens to that information.

This is true, but when it comes to e-commerce, how are you supposed to purchase things without giving your name and address? They need to verify card details and actually post whatever it is to you.

It's why I'm astounded that nobody seems to be of the opinion that what they're doing might be illegal. I'm not familiar enough with US law in this area, but in the UK releasing the purchase histories of named people would bring the ICO down like a ton of bricks.

japan on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

D:

So that's why I did it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Uncle_Remus_1946.jpg
    No one ever remembers him. Or the fact he won an Oscar (albeit a special one) decades before Denzel and Halle.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "If you see one movie about cars, Satan, and gratuitous 3D this year, make it Drive Angry!"

Pony on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Uncle_Remus_1946.jpg
    No one ever remembers him. Or the fact he won an Oscar (albeit a special one) decades before Denzel and Halle.

Wasn't that guy not even allowed to go to the official premiere of the movie, or is that a history thing I am misremembering

simonwolf on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    awesome, i love when chat starts with rape jokes

:hug: <3

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crosspost fun facts:
    Some statistics from the Massachusetts Youth Risk Behavior Survey, which is:
    *Part of CDC s Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System
    *Asks about a variety of risk behaviors
    *Anonymous survey of students in grades 9 - 12 in public high schools
    *Random selection of schools and classrooms within schools
    *From 1995 through 2005, an average of 60 schools per administration, 23906 students in all.
    *Representative of public high school students in MA as a whole

As of 05, here are some comparisons (some numbers +/- 1 or 2% as read off bar graphs):
    Comparisons presented as: Thing: that statistic for LGBT boys; that statistic for LGBT girls | that statistic for non-LGBT boys; that statistic for non-LGBT girls. All as of 2005.

Sex Against Will: 26%; 40%| 4%; 13%
    Self-Harm: 37%; 50% | 12%; 21%
    Suicide Attempt: 22%; 20% | 5%; 6%
    Daily Smoking: 21%; 19% | 6%; 5%
    Binge Drinking: 42%; 48% | 27%; 23%
    Injected Drug Use 10%; 6% | 1%; 0%
    4+ Partners in Life: 36%; 36% | 24%; 17%
    Used Condom Last Time: 58%; 39% | 73%; 62%
    Been or Gotten Someone Pregnant: 19%; 17% | 7%; 7%

Comparisons without gender breakdowns: Thing: statistic for LGBT | statistic for non-LGBT
    Threatened or Injured with a Weapon at School: 14% | 5%
    Physical Fight at School: 21% | 10%
    Suicide Attempt in Past Year: 21% | 5%
    2+ Suicide Attempts in the Past Year: 11% | 2%
    Any Lifetime Heroin Use: 12% | 2%
    Any Lifetime Methamphetamine Use: 15% | 4%
    Homelessness: 17% | 3%

MrMister on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmm. Just beat ME2 for the first time. Pretty unsatisfying ending. Really not satisfied at all with that. The main story in general was pretty weak, and all the side-quests and character focused stuff was way better. Felt more like a bridge between 1 and 3.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    simonwolf wrote: »

Uncle_Remus_1946.jpg

Wasn't that guy not even allowed to go to the official premiere of the movie, or is that a history thing I am misremembering
    He wasn't allowed to go to the premiere of it in Atlanta, I don't know if that was the "premiere" premiere, or just the Atlanta premiere, but yeah.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited March 2011
    When was the last time Disney went with a white human princess?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Also Walt "Everyone says I'm a racist" Disney personally campaigned for Baskett to win the Oscar.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crosspost fun facts:
    *From 1995 through 2005, an average of 60 schools per administration, 23906 students in all.

As of 05, here are some comparisons (some numbers +/- 1 or 2% as read off bar graphs):
    Comparisons presented as: Thing: that statistic for LGBT boys; that statistic for LGBT girls | that statistic for non-LGBT boys; that statistic for non-LGBT girls. All as of 2005.

Comparisons without gender breakdowns: Thing: statistic for LGBT | statistic for non-LGBT

The sex without consent statistic for lgbt girls was surprising.

Just a shitty world being shitty.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Huh, 1959. Sleeping Beauty. So it's been half a century.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Brer Rabbit is a pretty cool folk character.

I love trickster type stories.

Galahad on
    edited March 2011

Beauty and the Beast?

stevemarks44 on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When was the last time Disney went with a white human princess?

Do you mean the character is literally a princess, or the character is part of the Disney Princess merchandising line?

If it's the latter it would be Rapunzel from Tangled of this year

before that, Amy Adams from Enchanted was almost a Princess but because of copyright they nixed it.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crosspost fun facts:

wha

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How are LGBT boys more likely than non-LGBT boys to get someone pregnant?

That seems counterintuitive.

japan on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crosspost fun facts:

Am I reading that wrong or have 19% of gay high schoolers impregnated someone compared to 7% straight highschoolers. That don't make no sense!

emnmnme on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    "If you see one movie about cars, Satan, and gratuitous 3D this year, make it Drive Angry!"

It's not gratuitous unless someone is playing with a paddle ball.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2011
    Galahad wrote: »

As a kid I found the tar baby offensive. It's still kind of offensive.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Crosspost fun facts:

wha

Call the fundies, it looks like gay guys can have kids and are in fact better at it than straight guys.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmm. Just beat ME2 for the first time. Pretty unsatisfying ending. Really not satisfied at all with that. The main story in general was pretty weak, and all the side-quests and character focused stuff was way better. Felt more like a bridge between 1 and 3.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited March 2011

Beauty and the Beast?

She wasn't a Princess.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited March 2011

It is counter-intuitive. But both of my gay uncles did it, so it ain't impossible.

Think of it this way: closeted lgbt youth 1) have sexual relationships with opposite sex partners, and 2) are substantially more prone to reckless and self-destructive risk-taking behavior.

MrMister on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011

that's what it was supposed to be

Nerdgasmic on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Galahad wrote: »

As a kid I found the tar baby offensive. It's still kind of offensive.

As a kid that kind of stuff went completely over my head and it blended in with my Aesops fables and my Brothers Grimm.

Galahad on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

It is counter-intuitive. But both of my gay uncles did it, so it ain't impossible.

Think of it this way: closeted lgbt youth 1) have sexual relationships with opposite sex partners, and 2) are substantially more prone to reckless and self-destructive risk-taking behavior.

yeah but if they're closeted how are they even part of the study?

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited March 2011

Beauty and the Beast?

She wasn't a Princess.

Yeah but she is a "Disney Princess" for all intents and purposes.

stevemarks44 on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crosspost fun facts:

Am I reading that wrong or have 19% of gay high schoolers impregnated someone compared to 7% straight highschoolers. That don't make no sense!

They are SUPER effective!

Caveman Paws on
This discussion has been closed.