As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    That's the speculation on the bug - max friendship or romance before act three might cause it. There's no confirmation, though, but a lot of people are reporting the same conditions when hitting that bug.

For what it's worth, Merrill was NOT at maxed Friendship in Act 3 during her quest. No bugs here.

Same here. In fact, I believe her Act 3 quest is what put me at max Rivalry with her.

Edit:
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Can someone give me a spoiler-free idea of the "point of no return" in Act 2?

It's really obvious. Aveline will give you a really, really big warning that "you should finish up anything you want to do first."

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Just started Act 2, and I've yet to really do anything at all with Anders. Am I going to be forced to eventually?
    I know he has some significance later in the game, but can that be completely avoided? Can't I just have him leave/die somehow?

Why would you want to?

The entire story of DA2 focuses heavily around apostate mages and having Anders present makes things so much more interesting.

If I could, I'd bring Bethany, Anders, and Merrill along for the entire game just to see all their reactions to the story events.

Because at this point, I feel the entire story is laid out for me, with little to no variation :P

I want to make an impact, or a change... and not feel like all of my decisions will end with the same result.

Next play-through, sure, I'll bring different people along... but I'm just not an Anders fan.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Stick32Stick32 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    So the
    Ancient Rock Wraith
    fight is the most ridiculously hard thing so far in this. No gradual difficulty curve, suddenly its like, oh your fucked. I think it's taking the wind out my sails because of how shitty it is. It's so difficult that I am suspecting that I am approaching it fundamentallythe wrong way.
    You are doing it wrong. Treat it like a WoW raid. It actually reminded me of the stone dragon boss in Stonecore.

Yeah, it took me all of 5 seconds to figure out that fight, thanks to my WoW trained brain.
    heh yeah ditto on that for me. There are a couple bosses in wow that work like that. On a similar note...
    Fighting the High dragon in act 3 reminded me a LOT of one of the bosses in Naxx I can't remember his name. With how you fight him a while then he'll fly up out of reach and spawn some adds and fly back down once their dead. And with all the HP he had and as long as it took for me to kill him (I burned through all my potions and still barely squeaked out a win) the feeling I when I beat him reminded me of the feeling I got when our guild first dropped the twin bosses in AQ.

Stick32 on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there a way to get your entire party to move to a location? I'm getting tired of switching to Varric, moving Varric to a spot, then switching to Anders, moving Anders to that spot, then switching to Merrill, and moving Merrill to that spot. It'd be nice if you could just order all party members to the same spot, without having to issue individual move orders.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is there a way to get your entire party to move to a location? I'm getting tired of switching to Varric, moving Varric to a spot, then switching to Anders, moving Anders to that spot, then switching to Merrill, and moving Merrill to that spot. It'd be nice if you could just order all party members to the same spot, without having to issue individual move orders.

CTRL-A to select all

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

CTRL-A to select all

or click and drag.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

CTRL-A to select all

I don't have a keyboard.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I took a look at the Bioware forums to see if there was any ETA on a patch to fix a lot of the bugs, and well...

That place is a cesspool. I mean, I've been there before with Mass Effect related hi-jinx, but I think it's trounced the WoW forums in terms of stupidity.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ranced wrote: »
    I've been hearing this game is incredibly short. How short exactly?

It's shorter than Origins, but it's not short.

My first Origins playthrough trying to do everything was around 71 hours.

My first DA2 playthrough trying to do everything was 46 hours.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Official forums are always cesspits of fanboy stupidity. And considering how incredibly narrow minded a certain breed of traditional CRPG fan can be I'm not surprised about the current idiocy over there.

Stolly on
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's not possible. The WoW forums are full of people who play WoW.

Daris on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Did I do something wrong? I beat the game last night
    I sided with the mages, and after I killed Meredith, the only ending was Varric saying "Word spread quickly of the massacre and eventually The Champion left Kirkwall. We all had to part ways, save for Isabela who stayed by the champion's side." I thought there were supposed to be character epilogues and stuff?

Speaking of Isabela, I never got the chance to complete our romance
    We had sex, I fought the Arishok for her and I helped her take care of Castillon and got her a new ship. She asked me to sail away with her when this stuff was over and I said yes. I forgave her for running with the book and betraying me in the fade. Nothing else came up after that, there was no heart options, and nothing came up when we were making our stand at the gallows.
    What gives?

Anyone? I don't wanna screw things up the next time around :3
    To complete it you have to talk to her in the Gallows before the final fight.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    Stick32Stick32 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just started Act 2, and I've yet to really do anything at all with Anders. Am I going to be forced to eventually?
    I know he has some significance later in the game, but can that be completely avoided? Can't I just have him leave/die somehow?

Why would you want to?

The entire story of DA2 focuses heavily around apostate mages and having Anders present makes things so much more interesting.

If I could, I'd bring Bethany, Anders, and Merrill along for the entire game just to see all their reactions to the story events.

Because at this point, I feel the entire story is laid out for me, with little to no variation :P

I want to make an impact, or a change... and not feel like all of my decisions will end with the same result.

Next play-through, sure, I'll bring different people along... but I'm just not an Anders fan.

Well, no...
    Anders plays a pretty big role in act 3 and I think the game forces you to do his quests to advance the story. Without giving to much away his actions in act 3 are pivotal to the story of the game.
    All that said, I had Merril and Anders in my party the majority of the game. Anders was my healing bitch. Their reactions and conversations were interesting. Though his conversations became irritating because he was constantly admonishing Merril, my romantic interest, for her dabbling
    in blood magic and dealing with demons

Stick32 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Daris wrote: »

Right now, the WoW forums are English Gentlemen in comparison.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    So the
    Ancient Rock Wraith
    fight is the most ridiculously hard thing so far in this. No gradual difficulty curve, suddenly its like, oh your fucked. I think it's taking the wind out my sails because of how shitty it is. It's so difficult that I am suspecting that I am approaching it fundamentallythe wrong way.
    You are doing it wrong. Treat it like a WoW raid. It actually reminded me of the stone dragon boss in Stonecore.

Yeah, it took me all of 5 seconds to figure out that fight, thanks to my WoW trained brain.

Monster Hunter was the first thing that came to mind for me. I mean, four guys? Huge monster out of nowhere? Attacks you are expected to run/dodge out of the way off? First thought in the battle was "Wow, I get to control the other three idiots now!"

Once I figured it out, that fight launched itself up to the best fight in Act 1 :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Instead of "I PAY MY 15 A MONTH, NOW CHANGE THE GAME TO THIS WAY SO I'LL LIKE IT MORE"

its

"I PAID MY 60 DOLLARS FOR THIS, NOW MAKE IT HOW I LIKE IT."

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

CTRL-A to select all

I don't have a keyboard.

The game claims that holding r1 and l1 at the same time selects your whole party.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You definitely don't need to do the companion quests for Anders in Act 3. The events and his involvement play out the same way, and you're just left with your jaw dropped saying "whoa..."

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »

CTRL-A to select all

I don't have a keyboard.

The game claims that holding r1 and l1 at the same time selects your whole party.

I had totally forgotten about that tip in the loading screen. Thanks, that's gonna save me a lot of effort.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Instead of "I PAY MY 15 A MONTH, NOW CHANGE THE GAME TO THIS WAY SO I'LL LIKE IT MORE"

its

"I PAID MY 60 DOLLARS FOR THIS, NOW MAKE IT HOW I LIKE IT."

As a recovering WoW addict (got my 1-year coin in November) I can say that the difference between the two is that Blizzard actually caves to those "I pay $15 a month!" people.

Endgame encounter, Fenris note/spoiler:
    I'm playing as a mage, but somehow got Fenris on my good side. He's joked about the irony of having a mage as his only friend. I sided with the mages at the end and he jumped ship. Then when facing Meredith I asked him to join me and he just... changed his mind. Came back to my side and all was well.

Will he do that if you're Rivals? Or is it simply a Friendship thing?

Also, regarding the last fight:
    Is it just me... or were the non-controlled companions using the tactics I'd set up for them even though they weren't in my party? I kept having Fenris disengage and charge Brittle enemies to do a Might Blow.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    spamfilter wrote: »
    I sided with the mages, and after I killed Meredith, the only ending was Varric saying "Word spread quickly of the massacre and eventually The Champion left Kirkwall. We all had to part ways, save for Isabela who stayed by the champion's side." I thought there were supposed to be character epilogues and stuff?

We had sex, I fought the Arishok for her and I helped her take care of Castillon and got her a new ship. She asked me to sail away with her when this stuff was over and I said yes. I forgave her for running with the book and betraying me in the fade. Nothing else came up after that, there was no heart options, and nothing came up when we were making our stand at the gallows.
    What gives?

To complete it you have to talk to her in the Gallows before the final fight.
    I did. But I chose sarcastic "If I let the Arishok take you, then I couldn't yell at you." option... that must be it then. There wern't any heart options

Also, Anders end game spoiler
    FUCK YOU ANDERS. I killed him without a second thought after he did what he did... There were tons of genuinely innocent people in the chantry. I initially sided with the templars after that, but I asked my companions' opinions and they seemed to favor the mages. I do not like Anders at all now... is it possible to skip even recruiting him?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Skull, you are required to recruit Anders. Otherwise you do not have a map to Deep Road entrances in Act 1.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn, Well eff him and his quests from now on then.

I guess you have to do that one though...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I don't think so, but
    I'm not sure if it changes what happens or if you're just in the dark about it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You definitely don't need to do the companion quests for Anders in Act 3. The events and his involvement play out the same way, and you're just left with your jaw dropped saying "whoa..."

I actually rather loved that quest on my first play through.
    I had been pretty much Pro-Mage until Act 3 when it seemed every mage I ran across, including ones I had saved earlier, had decided to try to kill me. So I do Anders quest, find all the ingredients, and he asks me to help get him into the Chantry.

I'm pretty annoyed at Mages by now and when I start pushing him for information, he admits that he lied to me and that there is no potion. This pisses me off even more and I continue to push him to try to get him to tell me what he's up to. He completely refuses, so I give him the middle finger and tell him I'm not going to help him. Anders starts ranting about how apparently everything I've done to help mages was just words (completing ignoring how I saved numerous mages and killed Templars for them up to this point) and my Hawke responds with "Being your friend doesn't mean blindly agreeing with everything you want to do" and then walks out. I was all like "Ha! Screw you, Anders!"

And then that goose goes and blows up the Chantry, killing the one sane person in a position of power.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited March 2011

FUCK YOU ANDERS. I killed him without a second thought after he did what he did... There were tons of genuinely innocent people in the chantry. I initially sided with the templars after that, but I asked my companions' opinions and they seemed to favor the mages. I do not like Anders at all now... is it possible to skip even recruiting him?
    The templars are merely the military arm of the Chantry. Destroying the chantry was pretty mych the equivalent of bombing the Nazi party headquarters because of the actions of the SS. My pro mage Hawke supported Anders all the way.

Stolly on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

CTRL-A to select all

I don't have a keyboard.

LB + RB will select everyone.

EDIT: Whoops people answered that already.

Did anyone take Isabela on the Night Terrors quest? I practically did a spit-take when she said
    I like big boats and I cannot lie

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »

I don't think so, but
    I'm not sure if it changes what happens or if you're just in the dark about it.
    You're just in the dark.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I do approve of making all the elves have an Irish accent, that's a nice touch.

Apart from Merril, who is inexplicably Welsh. And not a good Welsh.

I'm sure Eve Myles is...very sorry for her voice? :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just finished Act 2, awesome awesome ending to that section, people who haven't gotten there yet have something to look forward to! :) (at least if you've made the same decisions I made!)

Was thinking about this game in comparison to ME2 and there are two big things I love about DA2:

1) Hawke actually feels like a real character. He has prior relationships and family members you actually care about. He has character development over the course of the game - a real emotional journey. Shepherd just feels like a cipher, no real background besides the one you pick at the beginning of the game, and he certainly doesn't go on an emotional journey of any kind.

2) The DA2 characters actually interact. I can recall like 2 or 3 instances where your companions in ME2 actually interact with each other at all. It's mostly just 1 on 1 with Shepherd. I remember being pretty disappointed since there could've been some great interactions there. In DA2, there's tons of conversations between the characters tagging along with you, and from time to time you even get cutscenes with the different characters hanging out with each other before Hawke shows up.

The fact that it's done so well is what cements this as a great game. So far, one of my favorites of the past couple years. Far far above DA:O in my eyes. It's a much more personal game, and I guess some will take exception to that, but I'll take that any day of the week when 99.9% of games are about defeating the uber evil and saving the world.

hottoq on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

What gives?

FWIW, I romanced Merril, but the epilogue told me I sailed away on Isabella's ship with nary a mention of Merril at all.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man. I don't understand Merrill's personal quest chain at all. Spoilered since a bunch of you haven't been able to complete it.
    So in act 2, she is wanting to fix the mirror so that she can restore a lost element of her people's history. Everyone, including Hawke is telling her its dangerous. She says she needs a special tool to do the mirror repair.

I make the decision that I'm not gonna give it to her. The keeper gives me the tool, and I deny it to Merrill. At this point I maxed out her rivalry meter and she pretty much hated me for ruining her chances at finishing her life-long project.

Fast forward to act 3, and she's all like "hey Hawke, I just had this great idea. How about we summon a demon to help me repair the mirror."

For real?

I just wanted to slap her across the face and say "no, you stupid girl. What makes you think I will let you summon a demon when I wouldn't even let you have a simple carpenter's tool?"

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I do approve of making all the elves have an Irish accent, that's a nice touch.

Apart from Merril, who is inexplicably Welsh. And not a good Welsh.

I'm sure Eve Myles is...very sorry for her voice? :P

I remember reading in an interview that Merrill's VA was one they specifically wanted and got for the character.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stolly wrote: »

The templars are merely the military arm of the Chantry. Destroying the chantry was pretty mych the equivalent of bombing the Nazi party headquarters because of the actions of the SS. My pro mage Hawke supported Anders all the way.

Not really.
    It would be more like bombing a Muslim temple for the actions of radical jihadists. The Chantry flat out said that they would not condone any violence by the Templars against the mages. They were pushing for peace between the two sides. And then Anders blows the Chantry up and states straight out that he bombed the Chantry to insure that there could not be any kind of peace. Anders wanted war to break out between the Templars and the Circle, and so he took action to insure it would happen. My pro-mage Hawke could not condone such an act of terrorism.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    hottoq wrote: »
    The fact that it's done so well is what cements this as a great game. So far, one of my favorites of the past couple years. Far far above DA:O in my eyes. It's a much more personal game, and I guess some will take exception to that, but I'll take that any day of the week when 99.9% of games are about defeating the uber evil and saving the world.

I wouldn't place it far far above DA:O, a game I really liked and which felt, in many ways, more polished than DA 2, which really feels rushed in many areas, such as the re-use of dungeons. However I really agree about how Bioware took a step in the right direction story wise. In my opinion there were a few things that could have been done better but overall I enjoyed this game, warts and all, more than pretty much all other Bioware games simply because the story was such a radical departure from BIO's usual save the world plot structure.

DA:O was damned fine but, IMO, hampered by it's very traditional story. DA 2 felt much more like the game I hoped for when the first decriptions of DA as a new franchise set in a mature fantasy world started to surface.

Stolly on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow. this is a thing.
    Bethany Faces For Isabella

For You who can't Romance Bethany, because Bioware says Incest is Wrong but Gay is Aggreable

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man. I don't understand Merrill's personal quest chain at all. Spoilered since a bunch of you haven't been able to complete it.
    So in act 2, she is wanting to fix the mirror so that she can restore a lost element of her people's history. Everyone, including Hawke is telling her its dangerous. She says she needs a special tool to do the mirror repair.

I make the decision that I'm not gonna give it to her. The keeper gives me the tool, and I deny it to Merrill. At this point I maxed out her rivalry meter and she pretty much hated me for ruining her chances at finishing her life-long project.

Fast forward to act 3, and she's all like "hey Hawke, I just had this great idea. How about we summon a demon to help me repair the mirror."

For real?

I just wanted to slap her across the face and say "no, you stupid girl. What makes you think I will let you summon a demon when I wouldn't even let you have a simple carpenter's tool?"

I went along with her plan and the end was super fucked
    You end up killing all the elves. All of them.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

For real?

Having to kill all of the Dalish is how you know you made bad choices in Dragon Age games. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow. this is a thing.
    Bethany Faces For Isabella

For You who can't Romance Bethany, because Bioware says Incest is Wrong but Gay is Aggreable

That still wouldn't really work though, since it'd just be Isabela's voice coming out of a Bethany mouth.

Wow, did I seriously just write that.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

For real?

Having to kill all of the Dalish is how you know you made bad choices in Dragon Age games. :lol:
    When I did it, only the Keeper died. Because I am not stupid and know how demons work :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
This discussion has been closed.