As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    That's actually slightly above average for a youtube comment.
    yeah, they managed to spell some of the words correctly!

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That was an awesome teaser. I personally enjoyed this game, I'm in for a 2nd.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm really impressed with how much better the game looks compared to the original. That was one pretty helichopper.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ...Oh man...that looks crazy...hope they have more.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    YerMum wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    That's actually slightly above average for a youtube comment.
    yeah, they managed to spell some of the words correctly!

I'm 99% postive it's fake.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ...It's a youtube comment.

I assure you it isn't.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    ...It's a youtube comment.

I assure you it isn't.

I'm very familiar with youtube.

It's fake. The punctuation is too good for the spelling errors to be so overdone.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Wow!" was my response as well. Or I might have said "Gasp!", I don't remember.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that made me laugh cruelly

they nailed my sense of humor so well with these games

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man I played the hell out of the first one, and that teaser just got me hyped up to play it some again.

Give me this and a HD remake of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and I'll never stop smashing helicopters.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good game, best teaser

Green on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well played, Radical. Well played. Here's hoping Heller brings with him a lot of new tricks like that.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFZ73-pyVY

Ign interview with a director. Has some new footage on the tv in the background. Slow mo toss of a blackwatch guy at the end was amusing.
    Mentions some vague details about the new game. Looks like he can't go into any specifics.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I get the feeling Heller is actually gonna be Mercer by the end of the game. The whole infection thing kind of hints at that.

Also, that guy is pretty cool for naming which games influenced their work. Bravo.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I do like how it looks like they're actively improving on aspects from the original; especially zoning the city, since NYC in the first one looked the same all over but for a few landmarks.
    Edit: Oh god. The top rated youtube comments. *headdesk*

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, I would expect to see some improvements.

I liked the first game well enough but it was pretty rough around the edges.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dear lord. Beat the last boss on Hard again today. I can safely say I have no idea how I did it the first time.

I tried duplicating my strategy, which was running around the deck, eating men, and then firing away a critical pain in between using mucle mass to throw crap at him. In order to aid that, I decided not to purchase the final health upgrade, figuring it would just delay the time to get into Critical Mass. Didn't really notice not having the extra health, since I only really died from his devastator (which is almost always a one hit kill) or because time ran out.

Unfortunately, I kept getting down to the end of the fight and running out of men to consume, unable to get his last piece of health down because of his block. So I ended up using a combo of whipfist, musclemass, and saving all the critical pains for the end of the fight. Required that I be much more mindful of getting hit, but it worked.

I did learn a real useful tidbit on his blocking pattern, though. He'll only block an attack if you've initiated it while he's on the ground. So if you wait until he jumps in the air, you can charge your attack as much as you like, and he won't block it. Have to be careful if you try using blade on him, though, because usually his throw attack will take priority and knock you out of your air drop animation. Also, he tends not to jump unless you're a decent distance away from him, which makes whipfist a pretty good tool against him. Now that I think about it, I bet that I'd learned this the first time I fought him, because the first few times I died on him, I was definitely hitting him alot while he was blocking.

Slortex on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    you can circle him to avoid his devastator entirely. It wont hit you.
    I'm talking about within the range of it. The part that actually hits you are three thick tendrils that come out into the foreground when you are circling him. They come out one by one. Once the third has passed he's vulnerable to counter attack while his devastator finishes up its animation.
    When the timer starts he gets four of them, so watch out. I believe he might get an extra one (so four normally, with five in the timer) but it was a while since I played hard.

When throwing things with muscle mass, go get the missiles lying around. I grabbed them without a defence power since otherwise you blow them up. Does good chunks.

He also only blocks if you attack from the air. As in you try to do elbow drop, blade drop, cannonball, flying kick, hammertoss. Any move that starts in the air. It's an auto block. He does not block attacks on the ground.
    You are supposed to sort of not do those moves on him. :P Good on you for figuring out the charge when he is in the air though. I had no idea. I'm going to use that.

The easier way is to circle him a few meters out with the blade power and do sprinting frenzy in between his attacks. You sprint straight past him like a samurai film fight, slashing on the way, back out into the safe distance. Then you circle and repeat. Keep it up and he gets stunned.

I beat him on hard with sprinting frenzy, muscle mass throwing and a bit of critical pain devastator. None of his ai changes, it's only his health on hard that gets increased. Just takes a bit longer. And that extra tentacle I think.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Who the toss is Heller?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you can circle him to avoid his devastator entirely. It wont hit you.
    I'm talking about within the range of it. The part that actually hits you are three thick tendrils that come out into the foreground when you are circling him. They come out one by one. Once the third has passed he's vulnerable to counter attack while his devastator finishes up its animation.
    When the timer starts he gets four of them, so watch out. I believe he might get an extra one (so four normally, with five in the timer) but it was a while since I played hard.

Oh, totally didn't realize that there were that many tendrils that could hit you. I always just air dash back and forth and usually am fine... I only got caught critical paining him, because I'd start the charge before noticing his devastator animation starting to play. I'll have to count them next time.
    He also only blocks if you attack from the air. As in you try to do elbow drop, blade drop, cannonball, flying kick, hammertoss. Any move that starts in the air. It's an auto block. He does not block attacks on the ground.
    You are supposed to sort of not do those moves on him. Good on you for figuring out the charge when he is in the air though. I had no idea. I'm going to use that.

Ha, that explains why his blocks frustrated me so much... I was almost exclusively using air attacks.
    The easier way is to circle him a few meters out with the blade power and do sprinting frenzy in between his attacks. You sprint straight past him like a samurai film fight, slashing on the way, back out into the safe distance. Then you circle and repeat. Keep it up and he gets stunned.

Sprinting frenzy, huh? Usually never pick that up until after the boss... I'll have to get it early next time.

Slortex on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Who the toss is Heller?

Ex-Blackwatch soldier/survivor. Somehow got turned into a shapeshifter by Alec...or at least he thinks he did.

Now he wants...REVENGE.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gosh I'd be so thankful.

I'd be like "You turned me into a GOD man lets be best buds wanna go out to eat?"
    "...people?"

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm calling it. Heller is Mercer. I mean the guy in that interview does say "Mercer sees the potential in Heller and so he infects him". Its obvious.
    They could make Obama be a flying donkey enemy in the game and it would make sense

Big Classy on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It was in the background in the video interview on the previous page, but is now available in fullscreen and with calming music for your viewing pleasure.

Watch as James Heller decides to be a nice chap and helps a Blackwatch soldier get down from a roof.

Trailer

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    *sniff*

It's beautiful.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I must admit I'm kind of annoyed that Mercer seems to be the main villain in this game.

But, it's not altogether surprising. He's A) Not human and B) Has the voices of a thousand dead men in his head. I'd expect him to go a little crazy.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm still expecting Mercer to say something along the lines of "Hey, sorry about turning you into a monster, but I need a bro to go fight Pariah (or something), we cool?"

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm still expecting Mercer to say something along the lines of "Hey, sorry about turning you into a monster, but I need a bro to go fight Pariah (or something), we cool?"

Except Mercer is also spreading the virus all over the city and basically going all Elizabeth Greene 2.0 last I checked.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I enjoyed the piss out of the first one--this thread's had the same effect on me as others, apparently. I feel I must go new-game+ this biatch.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Except Mercer is also spreading the virus all over the city and basically going all Elizabeth Greene 2.0 last I checked.

Ah...I was hoping his sister would go all Elizabeth Greene 2.0...

The graphics look a lot better this time around...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    We never did find out what happened to Dana, right?

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah...the first game had a good bit of dropped plot points towards the end.

Didn't mind it much because I wasn't playing the game for the plot anyway, but I thought it would be interesting to see where that went.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It dropped a lot of stuff at a specific point.
    Soon as he finds out that he is a virus, all the "human stuff" falls on the wayside.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think much of that had to do with the rushed nature/delays that compelled them to ship this thing before it was fleshed out.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maybe. But on the other hand cutting out the chaff because it doesn't really need to be there is a standard thing.
    I didn't feel dropped to me. After that point caring about Dana stopped making sense.
    After all.
    She's not his sister. She's a random human.

I think the games story is comic book hero gibberish, but at the same time, I don't think that line is important.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Ah...I was hoping his sister would go all Elizabeth Greene 2.0...

The graphics look a lot better this time around...

Yeah, looks really nice already.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maybe. But on the other hand cutting out the chaff because it doesn't really need to be there is a standard thing.
    I didn't feel dropped to me. After that point caring about Dana stopped making sense.
    After all.

I think the games story is comic book hero gibberish, but at the same time, I don't think that line is important.

Call me sentimental, but
    I felt like he should have struggled a bit more with his (in)humanity. Up until that moment, he thought he was Alex Mercer. Afterward, he would still have felt that way, he just would have known it wasn't true. To me, it felt like a chance at some kind of redemption--yes, he's some big, bad nasty which shouldn't, by all rights, have any sort of guilt or humanity. But he does.

Granted, that may not jive with his actions in-game (the way most people play him), but it would have made the story a bit more satisfying, IMHO.

Also, it's been a while since I played it, so that may have happened more than I recall it happening.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    After all.

Call me sentimental, but
    I felt like he should have struggled a bit more with his (in)humanity. Up until that moment, he thought he was Alex Mercer. Afterward, he would still have felt that way, he just would have known it wasn't true. To me, it felt like a chance at some kind of redemption--yes, he's some big, bad nasty which shouldn't, by all rights, have any sort of guilt or humanity. But he does.

Granted, that may not jive with his actions in-game (the way most people play him), but it would have made the story a bit more satisfying, IMHO.

Also, it's been a while since I played it, so that may have happened more than I recall it happening.
    It did but not in a soft squishy human satisfying way. He did have some emotional growth, in a way. But he also started accepting his inhumanity as well. He became a bit conflicted. At one point hes all "everybody has to die" and then he's like "Damn you for making me do this". There's also the cutscenes that go through the whole game. "I'm not human. Part of me was relieved. Part of me died." (It's at the midway point of part 11: Men like gods. If you want to view it again. *plug plug*)
    It doesn't actually get resolved. In the last scene he's all walking off still contemplating what he is. He's just resolved that he has to live with it. That he can't run from it or avoid it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ...I don't know...I got the Nice Guy achievement(don't eat more than 10 civilians) my first playthrough.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The players actions in freeroam are 100% irrelevant in this sort of game. It didn't have any meaningful choices.
    You only really need to eat civvies for health in freeroam, there's plenty of military or infected for health in all the missions.

Morninglord on