As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Phantasy Star Universe - The Expansion is Out

124»

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    360 servers wont be closing anytime soon simply because they are integrated with the Japanese servers, physically speaking. That's the only reason they are still there i think is because it doesn't actually cost them anything extra. That and as far as i can tell the 360 servers are still very much alive.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So yeah.

If anyone still cares it looks like the price of AOI is going to be free off Live sometime. Maybe now? I don't know.

Now if they'd just remove the sub fee I'd play the game again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/06/lots-of-older-xbox-live-marketplace-content-discounted/

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited July 2010
    So yeah.

If anyone still cares it looks like the price of AOI is going to be free off Live sometime. Maybe now? I don't know.

Now if they'd just remove the sub fee I'd play the game again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/06/lots-of-older-xbox-live-marketplace-content-discounted/

And i actually paid monies for AOI boo

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited July 2010
    Same, but I think I definitely got my moneys worth.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Am I correct in thinking that while the PS2 version and the PC version of AoI had a single player campaign where you could create your own character, the Xbox 360 version does not offer a single player campaign like that?

Sorcha Ravenlock on
    edited July 2010
    That is mostly correct.

However, the 360 still has all the EP2 missions just not with the movies you get in the PS2 (and I suppose PC?) versions for the offline mode. You still do them with your own character for EP2 and EP3, but they're just your online characters.

I don't believe there is any offline mode for the 360 version of AoI however; I can't check because I removed it after I got the full 1250 achievements and canceled my guardians license. There's an offline version of the base PSU, via the Extra Mode; but not for AoI. I don't think there is access to the EP2 stuff in Extra Mode however.

I know for sure the EP3 stuff is online only, and since the PS2 and PC servers are now gone you can only get them via the 360. I have a suspicion there are 3rd party servers out there for the PS2 and PC versions though like there is for every other PSO game in the past.

If you want to see the whole story it's $9.99 a month and it's moderately annoying to cancel when you're done. You have to call XBox Live customer support to do so (not Sega) since they handle the billing for the subscription via live.

I honestly can't say anymore how the 360 population is; but it was decent back in December-ish when they finally released the last boss for the last achievement.

Seriously, if they removed the subscription fee the number of people playing would skyrocket. Though, that would be counterproductive on Segas part since they're hosting the servers so they'll shut the servers down before they do that.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes, I don't want to subscribe to another MMO to be honest, but if the single player campaign was available I might have had a look at AoI.

It's a shame they didn't go F2P with a cash shop like DDO and LOTRO (soon), Live points would work nicely for such a system.

Sorcha Ravenlock on
    edited July 2010
    I am not against the DDO/LOTRO setup on principal but I honestly don't think it would work in PSU purely because of how the crafting system is setup.

People would revolt if they bought a rare drop to craft some 15 star weapon and it failed or came out as one of those crap items.

There's too much chance for player screwup in the PSU system to make it worthwhile. I mean, they could just make it so you straight up bought items or you bought "tokens" to trade into the various trade-in missions to get said weapons instead of relying on your PM to make something worthwhile, but it would completely ruin the in-game market for materials. Though, to be honest, a bit of a hit to prices wouldn't be a terrible thing. The economy on the 360 servers is still messed up from the duping crap that happened right at launch.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited July 2010
    I'd love to find a private server simply because I had played this on both PC and 360 and enjoyed the PC version a lot more since it ran better and looked sharper.

Elimination on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Got back on this what with the AotI going free and got a friend in it as well. Anyone else playing again? Man, a TON Has changed since last time.

Magic Pink on
    edited March 2011
    I haven't played in forever. It's nice for folks that AotI went free but really who that was still playing hadn't already bought it?

If they ever want to get people to come back in any meaningful numbers they need to drop the sub fee entirely and maybe add some sort of pay store for crap that lets people buy mats or whatever, that they can also get in the game for free if they're willing to invest the time.

Honestly though, I did quite enjoy the game, having bought it on both the PS2 and 360, played for quite awhile and even 1250/1250 the achievements..buuuuuuuuuut; it's time for them to move on and bring out a new phantasy star online/universe game for next gen consoles. PSO2 is only currently announced for the PC. This seems completely backward to me, hopefully they'll come to their senses and release it on the 360/PS3. But as I said when that game was announced, probably in a different thread; if they charge a monthly sub fee for PSO2, unless it is an actual full fledged MMO, which I highly doubt, it's bound to fail. No way will it be able to compete against your free monster hunters, their on portable PSO/U's, Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Mythos, Guild Wars 2, etc.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2011
    If they ever want to get people to come back in any meaningful numbers they need to drop the sub fee entirely and maybe add some sort of pay store for crap that lets people buy mats or whatever, that they can also get in the game for free if they're willing to invest the time.

They did apparantly but Microsoft refused to add it to the US 360 servers.

Magic Pink on
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really wish there was a way to play online on the PC again, I do not own a 360 and I really miss playing this.
    It was a nice break from WoW and I am getting somewhat bored again with PSOBB for my Phantasy Star fix.

omega71 on
    edited March 2011
    Canadians pay like $17 a month for this game on 360, which is a total joke. When i saw that americans pay $9 is when i stopped playing, that and there isnt much to do after about a month anyhow. That and having to call a phone number and be asked for personal information to cancel your account is retarded.

The worse part is none of those issues are in any way Segas fault, they are all to do with MS. (Other than the lack of content.)

Elimination on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    if this were no monthly cost I can tell you right now I would have bought a copy of this and would have been playing it non-stop. I would quite honestly have let it consume my game time for years if it's anything at all like PSO was.

As it is I can't really justify $10 a month for it. I'm not against spending money on a game but there doesn't seem to be the content there to warrant it.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited March 2011
    I don't know where the "no content" complaints are coming from; they seem to be adding and changing stuff all the time. Just check the update logs on psupedia.

Magic Pink on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I don't know where the "no content" complaints are coming from; they seem to be adding and changing stuff all the time. Just check the update logs on psupedia.

I'll rephrase. No content I deem worth $10 a month.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited March 2011
    Entaru wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I'll rephrase. No content I deem worth $10 a month.

Did you play the game when it was first released or later?

Magic Pink on
    I raise you from the dead; only to subsequently kill you:

Phantasy Star Universe is shutting down on Sept 7th for the 360

The PC/PS2 servers already had shut down in like...2010.

Single player will still be an option, for the base game but iirc they never released the AotI chapters for offline on the 360 like they did for the PS2; so you'll be SOL for those if you haven't seen them.

There's also the "Extra" mode for the base game that is more or less the online game, just...offline and with absolutely none of the post-release updates/maps/missions/gear/etc.

So yeah, game will be gone for all intents and purposes. It was a serviceable single player campaign, but it wasn't the point of the game.

Goodbye PSU; you were never as good as PSO, but you still gave us some fun. Here's hoping this results in PSO2 finally being announced for the US/West and not just Japan.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    PSP2 is still around and a lot better.

Aren't the PSP games peer to peer anyway? I doubt they'll ever go down.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    PSP2 has actual online and not just ad-hoc like the first one. They'll probably go down someday but probably not for a while since we never got Infinity.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I raise you from the dead; only to subsequently kill you:

Phantasy Star Universe is shutting down on Sept 7th for the 360

The PC/PS2 servers already had shut down in like...2010.

Single player will still be an option, for the base game but iirc they never released the AotI chapters for offline on the 360 like they did for the PS2; so you'll be SOL for those if you haven't seen them.

There's also the "Extra" mode for the base game that is more or less the online game, just...offline and with absolutely none of the post-release updates/maps/missions/gear/etc.

So yeah, game will be gone for all intents and purposes. It was a serviceable single player campaign, but it wasn't the point of the game.

Goodbye PSU; you were never as good as PSO, but you still gave us some fun. Here's hoping this results in PSO2 finally being announced for the US/West and not just Japan.

Aw man this actually makes me really sad

I haven't played in ages, but I really enjoyed PSU, and had actually put a fair amount of time into the 360 version

PSP2 is fun and all, but it's a very different kind of game

Yeah, I really wish they would just do a free last hurrah thing for previous subscribers. I mean, I did pretty much everything I wanted to before I finally quit; but it'd be fun to hop back on a few more times...I'm just not gonna pay $10/mo for it. :(

• Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Is someone going to start a PSO2 thread?

I am too lazy to do so but someone should, especially with the beta now out.

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-registration-guide/

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.