As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat will not eat

TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back inNebraskaRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I am currently sitting my mom's house while she's out on a trip, and our 3 year old cat is not eating a thing i put out for her. I've been using the cans she told me to and setting the dishes where they usually are (as far as I remember) with a bowl for water.

After this post I will do the same thing again and go to sleep, hopefully day three of this will not come to pass because I'm starting to get very worried.

Another note, I barely see her around the house since Mom and stepdad left, when she is usually pretty social

I'd like some short term solutions if possible. Could she be distressed because her regular owner is not around the house and it's just me (a relative stranger because ive been at college)? Is there a way to stimulate appetite? I have a theory that food and water may have been set up for her somewhere else around the house. The last time I took care of the cat for a few days she was very eager to get fed and I would normally wake up to her kneading my back until she got a fresh dish.

TIFunkalicious on

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    she's probably distressed.

you can't force a cat to do anything let alone eat.

try leaving some food in areas wherre the cat can go without having to confront you.

edit: at least inquire at your mom where the cat's been fed recently?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Basically, she misses your parents. My cat did this too when my husband and I went out of town. We had our parents over to make sure she was fed, and she ate next to nothing and didn't come out the entire time. We had slightly better luck with bringing her to their place, but the car ride each way is also very stressful for her.

How long will they be away?

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    till the end of today, so the status quo should be restored by wednesday morning

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've yet to meet a cat who can resist tuna. It's not something I'd feed every day, but for the sake of ensuring the cat gets some nutrition, it may be worth it.

Entriech on
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Entriech wrote: »
    I've yet to meet a cat who can resist tuna. It's not something I'd feed every day, but for the sake of ensuring the cat gets some nutrition, it may be worth it.

Yeah, too much tuna can lead to fatty liver disease, but only if it becomes their regular diet.

My wife's cat had a respiratory infection and would not drink for days. We ended up taking her to the vet for IV fluid, and I gave her cans of tuna with all the water from the can plus some extra to keep her hydrated. Every cat loves tuna, it is some sort of law of nature.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    unless the cat is fat a couple days of eating will not be all that bad. is it not eating anything at all or just not when you are there. Its more important that its still drinking

worst case scenario, give it some whipped cream. yes its not healthy but the sugar carbohydrates is better than nothing and will help prevent fatty liver.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last resort try something nice and stinky like Fancy Feast or Solid Gold cat tuna. Can even give it a few seconds in the microwave to make it reek. Not in the can obviously, and make sure to mix afterward and don't overheat. Can activate the cats sense of smell to entice them to eat. I would put the food in a low traffic private space where the cat feels safe.

onceling on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You should talk to your parents ASAP to find out if there is food somewhere else in the house. Cats really can and will starve themselves to death and it doesn't take that long for them to get themselves into danger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_Hepatic_Lipidosis

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kistra wrote: »
    You should talk to your parents ASAP to find out if there is food somewhere else in the house. Cats really can and will starve themselves to death and it doesn't take that long for them to get themselves into danger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_Hepatic_Lipidosis

Three words

Arbys
    Roast
    Beef

I have yet to meet a cat that won't eat warm roast beef that shredded up.

The other big tip is when you feed the cat give it attention, I've had a cat that would not eat till it was given the appropriate amount of attention. But honestly if you know where the cat is hiding a $1 Arbys Jr Roast beef thats been shredded up (sans the bun obviously) in the dish tends to have a devine effect of pulling cats out from hiding and into gorging themselves on it.

iRevert on
  • Options
    BinaBina Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey! I'm sure you're really worried about the kitten, it's scary when they go on hunger strike. Hopefully all is well as of this writing.

In general and for the future, the biggest thing is that the cat is drinking plenty of water. If the cat isn't drinking then that's when to consider contacting your folks and perhaps the vet ... like humans, cats can live a fair bit without food but not drinking is much more dangerous and can sometimes indicate (or cause) illness.

Hope all is resolved!

Bina on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bina, cats are actually different than other mammals and can sometimes die due to not eating in short order. It was explained up a few posts, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_Hepatic_Lipidosis

OnTheLastCastle on