As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Form-fitting iPhone 3GS case with built in screen protector

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I tried applying screen protectors to a new iPhone 3GS, and kept getting dust underneath. I was wondering if there's a good case for the 3GS that includes a built-in screen protector and doesn't just come with a separate one you have to apply in a hermetically sealed room.

Centipeed on

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You don't need a screen protector. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "But Ben, I do need a screen protector, otherwise my beautiful screen will get scratched"

Well you're wrong.

You don't need a screen protector.

It's very very difficult to scratch glass screens like the iPhone's - you could deliberately scrape your keys across the screen and not see a mark.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I tried applying screen protectors to a new iPhone 3GS, and kept getting dust underneath. I was wondering if there's a good case for the 3GS that includes a built-in screen protector and doesn't just come with a separate one you have to apply in a hermetically sealed room.

Screen protectors are by definition things that you need to attach directly. A touch screen just won't work through a plastic window.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ben0207 wrote: »
    You don't need a screen protector. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "But Ben, I do need a screen protector, otherwise my beautiful screen will get scratched"

Well you're wrong.

It's very very difficult to scratch glass screens like the iPhone's - you could deliberately scrape your keys across the screen and not see a mark.

I hear you - I'm asking on behalf of my aunt, who has just purchased an iPhone and is worried about throwing it in her bag all the time.

If I owned an iPhone I certainly wouldn't care about screen protection.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Explain to your aunt that it's harder than anything she keeps in her purse and thus won't scratch.*

I have no idea what your aunt keeps in her purse.

oldsak on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Centipeed wrote: »

Well you're wrong.

I hear you - I'm asking on behalf of my aunt, who has just purchased an iPhone and is worried about throwing it in her bag all the time.

If I owned an iPhone I certainly wouldn't care about screen protection.

I have never had a screen protector for my iPhone. I've had it a year and a half, and my screen is scratch-free. This is despite my putting it in my pocket with my keys by accident with regularity and dropping it on gravel on occasion.

The only iPhone I've ever seen that was scratched-up is my uncle's, who gave it to his son to play with, who would attempt to draw on the screen with a biro as hard as possible. Even after a year, it was a barely visible scratched patch, and it was still perfectly usable.

If she wants to get a hard case for the back to prevent it from splitting if she drops it, that's advisable. The screen will be just fine, though. If she insists, I've heard the InvisibleShield branded ones are good.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a 3G that's two years old and the screen still looks as new as the first day. I had a screen protector on it for about 3 months but got sick of it, because they're kind of annoying things and it got fuzz stuck along the edges all the time, so I peeled it off and just used it "naked."

The only marks on the thing are some very light scratches along the chrome edge. I have a GelaSkin sticker on the back to tell it apart from other phones.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    EggyToast wrote: »
    The only marks on the thing are some very light scratches along the chrome edge. I have a GelaSkin sticker on the back to tell it apart from other phones.

I have a Zelda background and the theme from TF2 as my ringtone to do that.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    benholiobenholio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Otterbox Defender is what you are looking for. It's a hard plastic shell that snaps on. The front of the shell is a clear piece of flexible plastic. A rubber case is applied around that.

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-3G-/-3GS-Defender-Series-Case/1942,default,pd.html?dwvar_1942_color=20&start=1&cgid=apple-iphone-3g-3gs-cases

benholio on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    benholio wrote: »
    The Otterbox Defender is what you are looking for. It's a hard plastic shell that snaps on. The front of the shell is a clear piece of flexible plastic. A rubber case is applied around that.

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-3G-/-3GS-Defender-Series-Case/1942,default,pd.html?dwvar_1942_color=20&start=1&cgid=apple-iphone-3g-3gs-cases

I would get this if I was using my iPhone to take video of my extreme sports adventures*. Otherwise, extreme overkill.

* Fictional

admanb on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Well you're wrong.

I'm sure that the iphones probably have better screens, but my ipod touch, which I almost always put into an empty pocket or with headphones which were wrapped around it, has the front screen scratched to hell. And unlike softer resistive screens, the glass makes for much deeper and harder to ignore scratches.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Well you're wrong.

err, i've scratched mine by accidentally dropping it. and it was completely by accident, too; i accidentally pulled it out of my pocket along with my keys one day.

i've also seen iPhone screens scratched up by keys and such in a shared space (like a pocket or purse).

this is a good solution. relatively inexpensive, comes with some solid screen protectors, and doesn't look half bad. also rated really highly.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562