As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Beware the Ides of March!

• TevinTevin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    After hovering between 215-206 since November, I finally hit 205 and have maintained that weight for about a week.

Hooray!

I knew back in Novemeber/December that I was eating too much so, I wasn't concerned with not losing the weight when I thought I should have been. But in January and February I cut back a lot.

Well, it turns out I cut back too much. As soon as I added another 300 or so calories each I noticed that I was staying more consistent in my weight loss, and now, I'm down to 205 and I think I'll be able to make it my year goal of 200 by May. Hell, depending how I look feel I may try and get down to 195-190.

Anyhow, hang in there guys! And good job!

Tevin on
    None of us is as dumb as all of us.
  • dzenithdzenith Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I went on a 4-day vacation this weekend and gave up dieting for lent...
    Pre vacation my weight loss was 8 lbs for the month. Post vacation it is 2. Damn lent.

dzenith on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    196!!! slowly but surely!

I start marathon training in earnest tomorrow so i'll probably see a rapid weight loss after that.

mrt144 on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I've got a weightlifting question.

I started off with this routine that was designed for beginners and whatnot that wasn't focused on a high weight low rep kind of thing. Lately, I've moved onto doing 5 sets of 5 on pretty much everything.

I've pretty much been doing the other routine since September of 2010 and have only rarely not done the routine. The thing is after two weeks doing the more weight/fewer reps, I've noticed that my chest isn't nearly as sore working out as the gets with the previous routine.

So, here's more information:
    My workplace gym, where I workout, only has machines and dumbbells. So, for the beginner routine, it says to do 4 sets of 12, 10, 10 and 10 reps. Then, it'd call for 2 sets of 10 reps of incline. I would do this routine with the maximum amount of weight that I could complete or almost complete it with. I would also use the dumbbells for the bench, but the machine for the incline bench.

With the heavier weights, I'm uncomfortable using the dumbbells, so I use the machine on both the bench and the incline bench. Machines don't make mistakes! I do 5 sets of 5 on bench and also 5 sets of 5 on incline bench.

Do you guys think I should switch back to the first routine since I'm more sore after it? Or is being sore not relevant to progress?

Niceguy Myeye on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    79.9kg today, down from 83.8 last month, so I'm still maintaining my 1kg/week loss, or about 2.2lb/week

So I'm about 2.5 months from my goal at this rate

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I could use some suggestions for a decent morning workout on the WiiActive if possible.
    Once the snow melts here I'll be walking or biking the 8.1K to work on a frequent basis.
    Looking basically for a quick morning workout before my evening planned one. Maybe 15 laps of the track?

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, in 6 days on the PSMF I've dropped about 7 pounds, which I'm happy with, considering a general lack of sleep and a few days I'm not counting where I slipped a bit.

Also, I feel surprisingly good while on it. I was worried, after having been off of low-carb for 6 months, that my body would end up suffering through a ketogenic flu again, but apparently I didn't do enough damage to reset myself that far.

Went by the store the other day and picked up some bronkaid and nodoze to try a bit of an EC stack as well. This'll be my second day on it, and it'll be interesting to see how it works in the longer run.

I'm back down to 250 now, and my goal is to be at least 240 by April 4th when my Motorcycle safety course is. Which, at this rate, shouldn't be a problem.

One thing about PSMF though, is goddamn its tedious.

3 seven-ounce chicken breasts
    1 can of tuna
    2 half-cup servings of cottage cheese
    2 three-slice servings of deli turkey

That has been my diet thus far, and man, I've felt the absolute opposite of hungry all week. I fucking dread eating, and by the time I finish a meal of a chicken breast + tuna or something, I feel stuffed.

But I guess that's a good thing, given you don't get fat by hating the sight of food. :P

vegetables will save your life here: cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, spinach, collards, rapini, etc etc etc. i don't even know how you could maintain this diet for long without getting lots of veggies. Also greek yogurt. I allow myself a little bit of onion and jalapeno as well.

If you know how to cook at all, you can do a surprising amount with just this

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do you guys think I should switch back to the first routine since I'm more sore after it? Or is being sore not relevant to progress?

You have an easy metric for measuring progress in the amount of weight you're able to lift each week. Soreness (or the lack thereof) can be affected by other factors. The general consensus is that doing more than twelve repetitions moves into endurance training and not as effective at achieving muscle growth or strength.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I weighed in at 184 this morning, which is pretty close to 30lbs off my high point. So far so good. I got to 185 this weekend, so I finally shaved (I made a promise/bet with myself) and it feels nice. I'm wearing some clothes I haven't worn in awhile, and people are noticing the changes. Mostly I just feel better. Of course, every pound lost is harder than the one before it, but I feel like my willpower is where it needs to be to get through it.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so I did pretty well at pax. ate alright, middle of the road, but it helped that I was busy all day.

what really helped was the walking. I do cardio rarely because I just find it so boring, but actually having a reason to walk was helpful :D

I'm trying to think of places near home I can walk to reasonably just to get it in as part of my day.

anyway, I'm down 5 pounds over a week+ a day or two, around when I made a post in here about momentum, so that's good.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    :^: Vari!

walking is fantastic. unfortunately, a lot of cities don't really support it much - when i lived in northern virginia, there literally weren't sidewalks or any way to walk to a nearby place short of kicking along a highway shoulder. it's one of the things i really love about boston.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So when will the 3/15 weigh in column be going up?

Yall on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm holding steady at 199, which would be discouraging if not for the fact that I lose a noticeable amount of body fat each week.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    retrovm wrote: »
    rock climbing is supposed to be a GREAT full-body workout, i wouldn't worry about it.

having a movie theatre at my gym is a huge motivator; a huge screen in a darkened room with cardio machines. tonight on the big screen is pulp fiction!

Wow! Where is this? I need to find something like that.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    PAX did not upset my weight loss. Maintaining at 247 lbs.

I walk more at work than I did at PAX. Pretty ridiculous.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I meant to ask a few pages back but Halibut how long did it take you from 266 to 206 if you don't mind me asking?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Off to the elliptical. I'm not feeling it, but I just keep telling myself I'll be glad when it's done and bummed if I skip it.

AtomBomb on
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    I meant to ask a few pages back but Halibut how long did it take you from 266 to 206 if you don't mind me asking?

It took about 7 months. I was committed to my diet and working out 6 times a week. Weights 2 days a week, and hard cardio (50-90 minutes on elliptical) the other 4 days.

Then, I made the transition out of the gym and started running (and doing body weight exercises) and went from 206 to 185-ish over the next 3-4 months.

Halibut on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still need a scale.

however, the jeans are starting to fit a bit better, a little looser. And I do have more energy. I just don't have the numbers to go with it.

I should really get a scale...

lonelyahava on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    so I did pretty well at pax. ate alright, middle of the road, but it helped that I was busy all day.

what really helped was the walking. I do cardio rarely because I just find it so boring, but actually having a reason to walk was helpful :D

I'm trying to think of places near home I can walk to reasonably just to get it in as part of my day.

anyway, I'm down 5 pounds over a week+ a day or two, around when I made a post in here about momentum, so that's good.

oh yeah I figured a while after that's why you didn't want pizza, I had the exact same line of reasoning going

Casual Eddy on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, in 6 days on the PSMF I've dropped about 7 pounds, which I'm happy with, considering a general lack of sleep and a few days I'm not counting where I slipped a bit.

Also, I feel surprisingly good while on it. I was worried, after having been off of low-carb for 6 months, that my body would end up suffering through a ketogenic flu again, but apparently I didn't do enough damage to reset myself that far.

Went by the store the other day and picked up some bronkaid and nodoze to try a bit of an EC stack as well. This'll be my second day on it, and it'll be interesting to see how it works in the longer run.

I'm back down to 250 now, and my goal is to be at least 240 by April 4th when my Motorcycle safety course is. Which, at this rate, shouldn't be a problem.

One thing about PSMF though, is goddamn its tedious.

3 seven-ounce chicken breasts
    1 can of tuna
    2 half-cup servings of cottage cheese
    2 three-slice servings of deli turkey

That has been my diet thus far, and man, I've felt the absolute opposite of hungry all week. I fucking dread eating, and by the time I finish a meal of a chicken breast + tuna or something, I feel stuffed.

But I guess that's a good thing, given you don't get fat by hating the sight of food. :P

vegetables will save your life here: cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, spinach, collards, rapini, etc etc etc. i don't even know how you could maintain this diet for long without getting lots of veggies. Also greek yogurt. I allow myself a little bit of onion and jalapeno as well.

If you know how to cook at all, you can do a surprising amount with just this

I'm not a huge fan of vegetables unless I can cook them in butter. :P

Also, I couldn't imagine eating more than I currently am, really. With all the protein I'm getting, I'm pretty consistently full.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Namel3ss wrote: »
    retrovm wrote: »
    rock climbing is supposed to be a GREAT full-body workout, i wouldn't worry about it.

having a movie theatre at my gym is a huge motivator; a huge screen in a darkened room with cardio machines. tonight on the big screen is pulp fiction!

Wow! Where is this? I need to find something like that.

retro fitnesssssss! it's only 20 bones a month too. pretty sweet. i used to belong to planet fitness, which was 10 a month. the facilities are generally really well-maintained and awesome. today the movie at retro is goodfellas, and yesterday it was tommy boy. i'm stoked.

retrovm on
    edited March 2011
    so pax is over

gained about 6 lbs over the long weekend. probably the great majority of it is water weight but still

starting back on the protein fast today. gonna get down to 170 and then shift gears a little.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Only 2 pound change, putting me at 164. Not bad, and I continue to feel great.

Will be making a new thread in the afternoon. If anyone wants anything added to the OP let me know.

Kyougu on
    edited March 2011
    I still need a scale.

however, the jeans are starting to fit a bit better, a little looser. And I do have more energy. I just don't have the numbers to go with it.

This is the scale I have. It's really great. I haven't verified it's accuracy because I don't really care. The thing that matters to me is that it is consistent, and I have no complaints in that department. You don't have to zero it before you step on, and it gives you your reading really fast. $30 well spent.

EatSmart-Bathroom-Scale.jpg

AtomBomb on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    7 mile run today. I was shooting for 10 but my new shoes were on the verge of giving my blisters. Friday gonna shoot for 10 again.

mrt144 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I am currently plateauing, which is pretty damn good considering last weekend was PAX.

Now it is time to look for gyms, but I will likely end up with YMCA due to getting in free via my mom's job.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2011
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    I still need a scale.

This is the scale I have. It's really great. I haven't verified it's accuracy because I don't really care. The thing that matters to me is that it is consistent, and I have no complaints in that department. You don't have to zero it before you step on, and it gives you your reading really fast. $30 well spent.

EatSmart-Bathroom-Scale.jpg

I have this scale as well as a soehnle scale.

I'm pretty sure this scale cheats quite a bit to maintain consistency. i.e. I step on, check weight, add a semi-significant (maybe a pound or two) of stuff and it still claims I'm the same weight. The soehnle scale also cheats, but after 0.5-1 pound it'll decide to adjust.

Between the two though I *think* the eatsmart scale is more accurate. It makes me 1lb heavier than the soehnle scale.

I usually use both to make sure one of the readings isn't too off.

It comes with a pretty nice tape measure to measure waist size too.

Dracil on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    my main question is, can i get that down here. I'll have to go look, since i'm not in the states anymore.

but yeah, i prefer a digital scale over analog. simply cause i can't bend over and see past my stomach well enough yet to get the analog.

man, i want a crosstrainer.

I'm wondering if I can convince my dad to buy me one. :P

no, i'll wait and see what goes on sale...

lonelyahava on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been feeling pretty tired lately. I'm not sure if I'm not eating enough carbs, or if I don't have enough days of rest in my workout schedule, but I'm pretty much always fatigued. I might work a nap into my schedule, but I'm not sure if that would if that would be worse for my metabolism than being fatigued.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited March 2011
    any of you guys have any experience with those dorky five-finger shoes? i have heard that they are great for correcting your stride and i've been finding that i pound the shit out of the treadmill when i run

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited March 2011
    I think you aren't supposed to use those with treadmills anyway.

Dracil on
    edited March 2011
    I remember looking into them, i don't remember them being ok for treadmills. but for regular walking think they were acceptable.

I have seen people wearing them, and yes, they are as bizarre looking as you think they will be. But, the people never complained and in fact seemed quite happy with their frog feet. which is what they looked like.

I know my stride is crap, I can feel it.

that being said, 20 minutes of hill climbing/walking/cardio (dear god my lungs hate me) done and I feel pretty good. It took less time for the stabbing pain of the breathing to get better. I'm still wondering if I should be having that much pain breathing. I account it to being out of shape in general and the 9 years of smoking almost a pack and a half a day.

edit:: for the record, I no longer smoke, been quit 15 months now.

lonelyahava on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    any of you guys have any experience with those dorky five-finger shoes? i have heard that they are great for correcting your stride and i've been finding that i pound the shit out of the treadmill when i run

If you don't have absolutely perfect arches, which very few people do they will absolutely fuck your feet running as well.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wieghed myself for the first time in forever about two weeks ago. Last I checked I was around 173. When I checked....194. 0.o.

I was a bit shocked.

So to combat this, I've started to play soccer three times a week and goto the gym for basic cardio stuff for about 45min once or twice a week.

Dropped to 189 so far =D

projectmayhem on
    edited March 2011
    Out of curiosity how much do you guys find you vary day by day? About a year and a half ago i weighed 310, now i'm 193 or so, but I find (using multiple scales) I can go up or down by 5 pounds each day, and do quite regularly. I've kinda been stuck at this weight for the past few months, but i've also been pizza and beering it up every weekend during that time and keeping it in check with exercise so i'm pretty happy with it staying the same

taliosfalcon on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just got back from a short bike ride. I was out for about 25 minutes...Covered the whole neighborhood.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Like, over the course of one day? Or from Monday to Tuesday?

From morning to evening I tend to go up a couple pounds, probably about three average. I'm always lightest in the morning before breakfast.

I think the biggest weight change I've had from one day to the next was five pounds (gained from pigging out) but that was really unusual for me. Usually more like one pound change maximum, typical result being six ounces or so.

LadyM on
    edited March 2011
    I remember looking into them, i don't remember them being ok for treadmills. but for regular walking think they were acceptable.

I have seen people wearing them, and yes, they are as bizarre looking as you think they will be. But, the people never complained and in fact seemed quite happy with their frog feet. which is what they looked like.

I know my stride is crap, I can feel it.

that being said, 20 minutes of hill climbing/walking/cardio (dear god my lungs hate me) done and I feel pretty good. It took less time for the stabbing pain of the breathing to get better. I'm still wondering if I should be having that much pain breathing. I account it to being out of shape in general and the 9 years of smoking almost a pack and a half a day.

edit:: for the record, I no longer smoke, been quit 15 months now.

yeah i have been quit for 27 months now and i still feel like i need to knock the tar out of my lungs

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited March 2011
    LadyM wrote: »
    Like, over the course of one day? Or from Monday to Tuesday?

From morning to evening I tend to go up a couple pounds, probably about three average. I'm always lightest in the morning before breakfast.

I think the biggest weight change I've had from one day to the next was five pounds (gained from pigging out) but that was really unusual for me. Usually more like one pound change maximum, typical result being six ounces or so.

From day to day, for example on occasion (last happened this week) Friday- 193 (i tend to stay the same within the day) saturday,198, sunday- 204. monday, back down to 194 :shock: I dunno wtf is going on but changes like that seem a bit big to me from day to day

taliosfalcon on