As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SCHOOL THREAD - Avoiding group projects at all costs

Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
SCHOOL THREAD

university-oklahoma-campus.jpg

To all of our forumers still in high school:

Anyone who tells you that high school is the best time of your life is full of shit. College is 100% the best time of your life.

Hang in there!

Talk about school now, nerds.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
Evil_Reaver on

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think my academic advisor is worried that I'm going to burn out before the end of this summer. In order to graduate next May, I have to:

- Study abroad for 7 credits
    - Take a 2 credit class at the end of July
    - Mostly finish my major writing assignment from June-August so that I can add an independent study to my schedule for next spring for 2 credits
    - Hopefully get a 4 credit internship for next fall and spring
    - Take 15 credits in the fall
    - And depending on whether or not I get the internship, take anywhere from 14 (if I do) to 18 (if I don't)

My 3L year is going to be a bitch.

Evil_Reaver on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That is...a lot of work.

Oghulk on
    edited March 2011
    It is, but it's spread out over the entire year. I'm getting 7 credits for studying in Ireland for 5 weeks, which, after talking to some of my friends who did the program last year, is a total breeze.

The class at the end of the summer is 3 sessions at 2 1/2 hours each plus 2 full days at a state-wide conference. Again, not a big deal.

Researching/outlining/writing my thesis for 2 months during the summer won't be that bad either, especially when I know that it's going to make my life easier next spring.

The internship is going to be the rub (if I get it).

Evil_Reaver on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh cool you guys were talking about the Whorf Hypothesis last thread. I was just reading up on why is was mostly bunk.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited March 2011
    Whorf is a mighty warrior! He is not bunk!

Evil_Reaver on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh cool you guys were talking about the Whorf Hypothesis last thread. I was just reading up on why is was mostly bunk.

I'm sorry, but if you think that someone like linguistic relativity can be deemed "bunk" then you are pretty confused, because there is absolutely no way the strongest version of the hypothesis can be tested by empirical methods.

Charles Kinbote on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i have to go to the War Museum again this evening, someone remind me

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited March 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »

you have to read War and Peace by tomorrow morning, don't forget

Charles Kinbote on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well I guess Steven Pinker is the confused one because I was reading his arguments against the Whorf Hypothesis.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited March 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »

you have to read War and Peace by tomorrow morning, don't forget

And I forgot to put on pants!

oh nooooooooooo!

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited March 2011
    Well I guess Steven Pinker is the confused one because I was reading his arguments against the Whorf Hypothesis.

he must be!

Charles Kinbote on
    edited March 2011

he must be!

To be fair he was mostly showing how the supportive evidence of the theory doesn't really stand up. But hey he's probably just confused.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited March 2011
    disproving the whorf hypothesis is like disproving solipsism

Charles Kinbote on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had a dream last night that I wrote a midterm and didn't do too good. Woke up and realized I still have to right it. Wish me luck, will report back soon.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited March 2011
    I mean, it sounds like he's approaching it from a psycholinguistic perspective, and given that some people argue the Whorf hypothesis psycholinguistically, that's perfectly reasonable

but some people also argue the Whorf hypothesis as a philosophical perspective, in which case "debunking" it is like debunking the notion of a God by saying "God's in everything? Well then he must be in this cell, let me just look in--nope, no God here."

Charles Kinbote on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Enough with the Whorf and the Wiggin.

I hate when I do a thing and then read that I needed a certain thing approved by an instructor before doing that thing. Fuck you teacher. It's done and it's what you described in class. ESS MY DEE

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Yeah he's mostly approaching it from a psycholinguistic angle considering he's a cognitive scientist.

But I see what you mean in the philosophical sense in that there's no way scientifically examine reality outside of the organ through which we perceive it?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited March 2011
    not even scientifically! there is no way to objectively perceive reality, full stop

Charles Kinbote on
    edited March 2011
    Also I just found out what Solipsism is. Yeeeaah I used to think about that all the time.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    when I was five I drew a picture of a unicorn.
    I'd never heard of a unicorn, or seen one anywhere, or had one described to me, and I came up with it all on my own

I was five. Couldn't even talk yet

unintentional on
    edited March 2011
    you couldn't talk at five?

I think you're a big fat liar

Staleghoti on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    michael-scott-from-the-office.jpg

unintentional on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The thing about a lot of critical theory is that it doesn't really go anywhere a lot of the time. It's just like well that's interesting

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think my academic advisor is worried that I'm going to burn out before the end of this summer. In order to graduate next May, I have to:

- Study abroad for 7 credits
    - Take a 2 credit class at the end of July
    - Mostly finish my major writing assignment from June-August so that I can add an independent study to my schedule for next spring for 2 credits
    - Hopefully get a 4 credit internship for next fall and spring
    - Take 15 credits in the fall
    - And depending on whether or not I get the internship, take anywhere from 14 (if I do) to 18 (if I don't)

My 3L year is going to be a bitch.

you're going to have to apply for that one-time extension to take more than 16 credits, aren't you

shouldn't have taken that 10 credit semester

MrMonroe on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone who tells you that high school is the best time of your life is full of shit. College is 100% the best time of your life.

So true. So very true.

skettios on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I shit the bed on that midterm, fawk

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh shit, if a BA is worthless.... what does that mean about getting an Associates?

Mr. Buttons on
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am running on an hour nap, am shaky as hell, and have four pages left to write for this paper.

ARRRGH

Sassori on
  • KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    man, i just realized i am super behind on extra curriculars. now i feel super guilty for not doing anything summer after freshman year. :(

but i plan on joining some biology honors society next semester, and maybe tutoring/and or doing research

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
    edited March 2011
    I am really freaking shaky. I feel like I'm twitching.

I think it's a combination of no sleep and a lot of caffeine and I have lunch in half an hour.

Is there something in particular I should eat to help settle my body down so I can keep working on this paper?

Sassori on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Something low GI like a ham and cheese sammich on wholemeal bread. Also closing down PA from your internets and focus on your paper will help a lot :P

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited March 2011
    the idea of having a "best time of your life" is depressing as shit

stop being babies, chumps

Charles Kinbote on
    edited March 2011
    Tef wrote: »
    Something low GI like a ham and cheese sammich on wholemeal bread. Also closing down PA from your internets and focus on your paper will help a lot :P

Helpful. Thanks!

And I've giving myself until after I grab a quick bite to eat before tackling things again. I'm trying to rush through work stuff so that I'll be free. So it's not really a break but at least I'm taking a pause from T.S. Eliot for an hour.

Sassori on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I- I had a really fun time in highschool!

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sassori wrote: »
    I am really freaking shaky. I feel like I'm twitching.

I think it's a combination of no sleep and a lot of caffeine and I have lunch in half an hour.

Is there something in particular I should eat to help settle my body down so I can keep working on this paper?

Something solid, not sugary.

skettios on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to graduate in spring with a history degree from UC Santa Barbara. I'm putting the finishing touches on my senior research paper. I have no idea what I'm going to do next someone give me a job!

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    College was far better times than high school.

Peccavi on
    edited March 2011
    the idea of having a "best time of your life" is depressing as shit

stop being babies, chumps

It's all down hill from here...

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    skettios wrote: »

So true. So very true.

Jesus, I hope not. Even if college had been fun for me.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so, Emory University has this nice searchable database of summer internships/research opportunities for high schoolers, undergrads and grad students. Thought I'd post just in case anyone else was interested.

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
This discussion has been closed.