As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sticks carrying dogs thread (also cat [chat])

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    (Neither.)

Nerdgasmic on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think if you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose I would say McDonalds > Wendy's > Burger King

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mim wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    People want trigger warnings and gender neutral pronouns on the english armadillo meme. Trigger Warning for the meme postings that end in "kill self".

goddamn it

why is everything good ruined by these people

I don't want to make anyone like, feel bad about themselves. For awhile I was all "maybe I should end it all" and then someone in another sub forum told me to kill myself over something else (they didn't know I was really contemplating it) so I can see their point. However, the meme I don't feel is to hurt someone. I don't know, its a fine line.

So here is my thing: I am completely fine with the adding of captions below the images to assist people with genuine disabilities. However, all this "gender neutral language" and "trigger warning" stuff just seems to be something that is indicative of the baby-proofing of society that I honestly cannot get behind. Obviously saying "hey buddy you should go kill yourself" is at a certain level, but needing to be warned when a picture with an armadillo is making a tongue in cheek suicide reference? Maybe they need all the triggers they can get.

simonwolf on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    People want trigger warnings and gender neutral pronouns on the english armadillo meme. Trigger Warning for the meme postings that end in "kill self".

goddamn it

I don't want to make anyone like, feel bad about themselves. For awhile I was all "maybe I should end it all" and then someone in another sub forum told me to kill myself over something else (they didn't know I was really contemplating it) so I can see their point. However, the meme I don't feel is to hurt someone. I don't know, its a fine line.

There's a long list of things that can trigger a person. Physical abuse or violence of any kind, verbal abuse, swear words, Implied abuse or violence, sex, harm to animals, religion, racism, sexism, any form of bigotry, references to drugs or alcohol. The list goes on.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think if you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose I would say McDonalds > Wendy's > Burger King

Are you insane?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tCtj7.jpg

Pony on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am so bad at going to bed, and I have to be at work in 5 hours. Half hour commute. Urrghh.

jakobagger on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh my god i am twenty years old and my father is interrogating me over what i ate for dinner.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    pony

how is the conversion going?

Captain Carrot on
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

goddamn it

So here is my thing: I am completely fine with the adding of captions below the images to assist people with genuine disabilities. However, all this "gender neutral language" and "trigger warning" stuff just seems to be something that is indicative of the baby-proofing of society that I honestly cannot get behind. Obviously saying "hey buddy you should go kill yourself" is at a certain level, but needing to be warned when a picture with an armadillo is making a tongue in cheek suicide reference? Maybe they need all the triggers they can get.

I see. I don't know, definitely the English major meme isn't making me want to kill myself all over again. But I know a couple of advocates would be like "well that's all fine and dandy but we're here to protect the real victims". I just want like a line to walk I guess? Want them to feel good about themselves, not to feel bad..I don't know ahh its all very confusing and I feel like a giant ass.

Mim on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    tCtj7.jpg

tumblr_li1x32v6rt1qa847jo1_r1_500.gif

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tCtj7.jpg

1300235575699793.jpeg

Tav on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drez wrote: »

Are you insane?

Yeah, whut? Wendy's is in another league than those two, and burger King is clearly better than McD.

jakobagger on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    if i wasn't all punched out i would be an avatar of rage, existing only to spread death and destruction

as it is i'm sullenly drinking my coke and reading lol lore

could be worse, man.

*hugs*

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    friday with it

is the best one

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    pony

how is the conversion going?

slowly

i have a lot on my plate right now

it's a complex setting with a lot of things to explain and shit

so

Pony on
    edited March 2011
    if i hear one more word about friday i am going to kill myself

edited March 2011
    trigger warning!

jakobagger on
    edited March 2011
    friday

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    so um my desktop's internet went down

working on fixing it but if i can't get back on just replace me

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I see. I don't know, definitely the English major meme isn't making me want to kill myself all over again. But I know a couple of advocates would be like "well that's all fine and dandy but we're here to protect the real victims". I just want like a line to walk I guess? Want them to feel good about themselves, not to feel bad..I don't know ahh its all very confusing and I feel like a giant ass.

It is difficult to take a stand on this and not feel like a dick, in some regards. I can understand why you would want people to be protected/feel good about themselves, but it feels like they're wanting to protect a small minority of people and push that protection onto everyone else at the same time. The fact that pretty much anything can be a trigger (from suicide jokes to videos of children being happy) means that "protecting" people from every trigger imaginable would just be an exercise in annoyance for the people who, you know, don't need protecting.

simonwolf on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    the garbage day one will never be topped

Nerdgasmic on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

what the shit fuck is this

shit

skippydumptruck on
    edited March 2011
    Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I went with comedy option 3: Korean food! mmm.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I enjoy:

Ovel0.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011

now accepting nominations for neo-cass

simonwolf on
    edited March 2011
    I run into triggers all the goddamn time

If people warned me I'd just feel worse for inevitably ignoring it

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatup

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rebecca Black - Drez's Friday

5:30am, waking up in the morning
    Oh Jesus Christ, don't wanna go to work
    Gotta get dressed, gotta find my wallet
    Gotta find my tie, fucking shit where's my shoes
    Time's ticking on, and I need my coffee
    Gotta get down to the bus stop
    Gotta catch my bus, I see the bu-us

Dickhead in the front seat
    Bitchface in the back seat
    Gotta make my mind up
    Which seat can I take?

It’s Friday, Friday
    Why I gotta go in Friday?
    I am really lookin’ forward to the weekend, weekend
    Friday, Friday
    Alcohol lunch on Friday
    I am really lookin’ forward to the weekend

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited March 2011
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatup

wasabi

skippydumptruck on
    edited March 2011

shit

I'm sorry dude, I reset the router and it's not fixing itself. Go without me. :(

edited March 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

and then there's shit you didn't know would set you off until it happens

and stuff you could handle before but things have changed

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited March 2011

shit

I'm sorry dude, I reset the router and it's not fixing itself. Go without me. :(

no you are the heart and soul of this team

don't make me do this cass

noooooooooooooo

skippydumptruck on
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I'm in a discussion with a couple of people on another site about whether nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki was justified. I'm saying no, since Japan had tried surrendering for about six months prior to the nukings (their one condition, keeping the Emperor, was kept anyway), it involved the murder of several hundred thousand civilians, and in hindsight it wasn't even really all that effective (the Japanese surrendered more because of the Soviet Union entering the war than the nukes). Their respective counter arguments are, and I quote:
    you make baby FDR cry.

and
    I'm sure that the people of Nanjing were delighted to know that principle [that the government shouldn't kill innocents] applied to them. Not to mention the Jews of Kaunas, Warsaw, Greece......

Responses like that are why I debating on the internet makes me cry (alongside baby FDR). :-(

Solomaxwell6 on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So a trigger warning is like a spoiler for things that might hurt someone's feelings?

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    edited March 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

and then there's shit you didn't know would set you off until it happens

and stuff you could handle before but things have changed

Like this shit

right here

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tCtj7.jpg

pony, i laughed too hard at that...

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2011
    I would work out my aggression with some pushups but oh lord my entire upper body is stiff and sore

so I have my cat

he is such a whiny Winston

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

no you are the heart and soul of this team

read: the least untalented of us all

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
This discussion has been closed.