As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No online multiplayer on Steel Diver?

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jave wrote: »
    No online multiplayer on Steel Diver?

Nope. I think that's been confirmed. Not a lot of online stuff at launch.

Jeff Gerstmann's first 48 hours with the 3DS
    Along with the system-level friend code comes a persistent friends list that you can pull up from the home menu. Here you get little friend cards for each person, showing their Mii, their friend code, a status message (like an Xbox Live motto), and, potentially, a pair of games. You can select your favorite game via a list of anything you've run on your 3DS... even if it isn't a game. Me? I chose the "Health and Safety Information" screen as my favorite. Safety first, right? If your friends are online, their cards will light up and the game they're currently playing shows up when they're selected. This is, of course, an option that you can disable, if you want your game choices to remain a secret. Showing that kind of presence is pretty cool. Obviously, it's something that the modern consoles have been doing for years, but it's not something I'd expect to see on a handheld. I've seen people online taking photos, messing around with their AR cards, and so on.

QgMzF.jpg
    I sort of expected to dislike the 3D feature--every time I've seen a 3DS up until this retail release, it's been the same old story of eye fatigue and an inability to stay focused on the 3D screen for any serious length of time. I'm not really having that problem anymore, and the whole "faster frame rate in 2D mode" thing that some games offer hasn't ended up being as big of a draw as I thought it might be. I'm pleasantly surprised by all of this.

A review of Shadow Wars from some random site, it looks legit enough...maybe some bad news for Lunker though. And it really fellates Gollop, assuming the reader knows all about this sort of game already.
    There are around 35 hours of single player challenges and 10 multiplayer maps. I would normally decry games that put the emphasis on single player modes, but here the quality on offer more than makes up for any shortfall in multiplayer variety.

But more than any of this, it is the personal history that this game evokes that makes me want to play it for hours. This is more about people and spiritual succession than it is about franchises or branding. For me Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars is simply Laser Squad by another name.

IGN reports that the 3D really does make a difference in playing games.
    I'm currently working my way through PilotWings Resort. I'm earning points and progressing through Mission Flight Mode's various difficulty levels, all by flying in planes, gliders and rocket belts. The game isn't particularly difficult at this point, but in one mission I found myself taxed slightly more than usual. I was trying to gauge my flight path, lining up a path marker with the next major goal. Hitting both would earn me critical points, so my choice was clear – don't miss either target. My grip on the 3DS tightened, as I was almost certain I was going to miss one or the other. Determining the proper depth was so tricky…

Wait a second.

Up until this point, I hadn't been playing in 3D. It's late as I write this, and, as my eyes grew tired, the 3D had started to bother me a bit. Plus, with the 3D on, the smoothness of the game takes a hit. Why not ease the demand on the system, its battery and my eyes?

As I reached for the 3D adjustment slider, I wondered if turning on 3D would make any difference. Why would it? This stuff is just a graphical gimmick, right? A cool hook to get the mass market curious about games, right? I'm the biggest defender of the Nintendo 3DS, but even I admit that gameplay isn't going to change because of a 3D effect.

But then I turned on the 3D. Suddenly I could properly figure out some last minute adjustments to my glider's flight path. I could figure out one object's special relationship with another. I knew how far apart they were, and how much time I'd have to move until the next. This wasn't so problematic after all. I coasted through one target, earning my points, hit the next, and pulled the analog slider back to soar back into the air. It was a breeze.

Consider me schooled. Consider me convinced. Though the 3D effect certainly applies to gameplay in a critically different way than a Wii Remote or touch control, it nevertheless changes the way a game is played. It changes the way a gamer is able to perceive the worlds created by developers. It's different than pressing A or swinging a device to hit a ball, but it's important nonetheless. Just as increased graphics afford developers the ability to change environments and levels, so does the ability to add greater depth. Is anyone else more excited for Mario 3DS now?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, like I said in VGI:
    When it works well (Kid Icarus' shooting stages or Pilotwings) it works really well. Otherwise, you can take it or leave it (DOA or SSFIV). So it will all come down to what the developer does with it. Another tool in the arsenal.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any decent pre-order deals/options out there? Will this be in-stores on Sunday? Makes ordering online seem like the bad option

GPIA7R on
  • MurchieMurchie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That Shadow Wars review seems pretty positive, although there's little info in there that wasn't in one of the previews... I half wonder if it's someone writing a "review" without actually playing the game so that they can get hits to their crappy site...

I think it's a definite buy though for me.

Murchie on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    After what they did with Super Paper Mario and the third dimension I bet whatever Int Sys does for Paper Mario will be mind fuckingly awesome.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited March 2011
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Any decent pre-order deals/options out there? Will this be in-stores on Sunday? Makes ordering online seem like the bad option

Supposed to be in stores on Sunday, some places doing midnight launches Saturday night. I always like buying systems at a real store because it's much easier to take it back if something's wrong with it (like dead pixels).

I preordered at Toys R Us, they're just selling when they open normally on Sunday.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've never actually played any of the Paper Mario games. Do you guys have any links to a good walkthrough/let's play by chance? I'd like to prep myself.

Thanks for posting all that stuff, Sporky, especially the Gerstmann impressions. It's the little stuff like that which I feel hits people harder than sprawling page upon sprawling page of a review.

And now I'm at least assured of one thing: being able to give our Friends proper definitions instead of a bunch of numbers across multiple games and a small hashtag. Now it's like a phone number for your 3DS and you can give them proper names. Now only if it did the Xbox Live thing where you can add the random recently played with people without knowing their number prior.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Got to play with the 3ds demo today. I was really impressed with the 3d effect.

However, I'm not sure i can go through with buying one. The more i think about it, the more i doubt I'm going to put enough playtime in to justify it.

I hardly ever play my ds as it is. I think I'm going to have to fight my desire to purchase something new and shiny this time. :p

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ooh, I didn't know about the Live/Gamertag-esque functionality.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    I've never actually played any of the Paper Mario games. Do you guys have any links to a good walkthrough/let's play by chance? I'd like to prep myself.

Don't have any specific links, but check youtube, I'm sure there are quite a few out there. Paper Mario (64) is also available on Virtual Console if you have a Wii - that's definitely worth grabbing if you have the chance - it's still quite fun, and one of the few N64 games that doesn't look like ass compared to modern games :D

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GPIA7R wrote: »

At least in the UK, the major retailers are guaranteeing that shipped 3DSs will reach you on launch day (March 25th) unless you opted for slower delivery or something.

Amazon.co.uk went a little crazy with the pre-order stuff today - dropped the base price again to £187, are giving away official screen protectors with every console, giving a further 50% discount on official cases bought with it, and offering a game from the 'second-tier' (Monkey Ball, Ridge Racer, Ghost Recon) for £15. I'd be astonished if online retailers in the US aren't doing similar things prior to release - with a week to go, they're all getting locked into a price war.

Bioptic on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    US doesn't work that way for console sales. Nintendo sets the MSRP low enough and they all go for that price. Best you'll ever get is discounts on accessories or the like.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Soooo, just finished playing Pioletwings 3D at my local Best Buy. Holy shit! It was like a minifigure hang glider on a tiny thread behind the screen. I am blown away.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone got a pic of the Mercenaries box?

Leitner on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

Top of page 96 in this thread.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
    edited March 2011
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

And the European version:

EczcPl.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Have there been any more good pictures of the 3DS interface stuff like that shot of the friend "gamercard"?

I've really only seen the stuff they released official shots of.

mntorankusu on
    edited March 2011
    Sorry I keep posting random crap here but I think this is something a few people might want to take advantage of:

Subscribe to Official Nintendo Magazine (UK), get Ridge Racer 3D for free. It turns out you have to get a 12 month subscription, you're billed every six months. Wish they'd do that kind of thing over here.

And here is 11 minutes of direct feed SSF4, and [VIDURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvGihsY5Rtg"]all the menus and options of SSF4.[/VIDURL] Turns out it's not just the touchscreen that lets you execute specials, if you want you can remap all the punches and kicks to specials. Holy crap.

UncleSporky on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

And the European version:
    EczcPl.jpg

Resident Evil Mercenaries: White Version?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Resident Evil Mercenaries: White Version?

pal_re0.jpg

pal_re4w.jpg

They really like white in Europe. These look better than the US equivalents, though. The RETM3D cover art looks kind of like a placeholder.

mntorankusu on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'm in Australia so I'm familiar with those boxart (boxarts?), although our RE4 on GC was this:

535840_63169.jpg

Which I'm quite fond of.

The difference is that the pictures you posted have effort put into them while Mercenaries has just removed the background. I'm hoping it's just a placeholder, as you say.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, I fully acknowledge that I've been slacking on the OP as of late. My bad! I'll get started on the next one later on tonight if no one else wants to tackle it though.

Also, happy Saint Patrick's Day fellow game enthusiasts!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/17/pilotwings-resort-review/

Joystiq reviews Pilotwings Resort, yet weirdly omits any mention of how the 3D is in it. Take this with a grain of salt but one of the commentors on the article said it was because the writer of the article has admitted in the past that he is incapable of seeing the 3DS's 3D. If true, way to go Joystiq, that's some quality reporting there, I have a blind friend that would love to review movies for you if you'd like to give him a shot.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Joystiq reviews Pilotwings Resort, yet weirdly omits any mention of how the 3D is in it. Take this with a grain of salt but one of the commentors on the article said it was because the writer of the article has admitted in the past that he is incapable of seeing the 3DS's 3D. If true, way to go Joystiq, that's some quality reporting there, I have a blind friend that would love to review movies for you if you'd like to give him a shot.

3D is a visual enhancement. It won't make a bad game good.

CygnusZ on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »

Who said it did? But 3D is one of the basic tenants of the system, it's in the friggen title, so it's a re-God-damned important thing to cover.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Who said it did? But 3D is one of the basic tenants of the system, it's in the friggen title, so it's a re-God-damned important thing to cover.

I have to agree with Spaniard on that one - it is a launch title for the 3DS. Even if you aren't interested in 3D, that is the biggest thing about the new system and the launch titles.

Wraithverge on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I have to agree with Spaniard on that one - it is a launch title for the 3DS. Even if you aren't interested in 3D, that is the biggest thing about the new system and the launch titles.

Plus there's that other review that mentioned that turning the 3D on suddenly made it much easier to judge distances. For anything with that sort of interaction with distance, 3D isn't just a visual enhancement.

jothki on
  • MattnyxMattnyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

As weird as it might seem to be quoting IGN, here's something for you to chew on CygnusZ.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/115/1156183p1.html

The important part for the TLDR crowd:
    But then I turned on the 3D. Suddenly I could properly figure out some last minute adjustments to my glider's flight path. I could figure out one object's special relationship with another. I knew how far apart they were, and how much time I'd have to move until the next. This wasn't so problematic after all. I coasted through one target, earning my points, hit the next, and pulled the analog slider back to soar back into the air. It was a breeze.

Mattnyx on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Going from 3D on to off certainly makes the game feel like it's missing something. But the claim that the reviewer couldn't judge the distances with the 3D turned off strikes me as wrong. After all, I've been doing exactly that since Stellar 7.

EDIT: Maybe I'm being too dismissive. On a big TV or a computer monitor it may not be a problem, but handheld monitors are tiny and the space added by depth may be making a big difference.

CygnusZ on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think any sort of tunnel-forward games will look really nice with the 3D effect; Pilotwings is a good example, it's why I think a rail shooter like Kid Icarus will look great, and I'm dying to see what Etrian Odyssey looks like with lush 3D. I can't speak to how much it can really add as far as gameplay mechanics, though; I'd like to try Pilotwings, but I'll probably rent or wait to buy used and see if it's the kind of thing I'll keep.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    I think any sort of tunnel-forward games will look really nice with the 3D effect; Pilotwings is a good example, it's why I think a rail shooter like Kid Icarus will look great, and I'm dying to see what Etrian Odyssey looks like with lush 3D. I can't speak to how much it can really add as far as gameplay mechanics, though; I'd like to try Pilotwings, but I'll probably rent or wait to buy used and see if it's the kind of thing I'll keep.

See, one of the things I kinda want to see are sidescrollers. I just can't help but imagine you could do some really cool stuff with the depth. Hell, think of a game like Yoshi's Island, with the crayon-drawings look. It'd make for a perfect diorama sort of thing.

...Also, I want a fucking portable Smash Bros. already. I'm tired of relying on other fighting games and off-brand copycats when I crave ass-kicking!

yalborap on
  • CrabhammerCrabhammer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, I'm glad that Pilotwings is shaping up to be cool, since that's the game I have preordered for the launch.

Crabhammer on
    EYUNR.gif
    Pokemon White Friend Code:0089 1626 3393
  • Alex Atkin UKAlex Atkin UK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

But trouble judging your position in 3D space can make a good game bad. So in that sense it CAN actually make a bad game good, if that was the only thing that made the game appear bad.

Alex Atkin UK on
    3DS Code: 1118 0213 2138 Pokemon Black: 3997 6322 9891
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    3DS games have arrived at my work.
    IMG_20110317_212857.jpg

I didn't know the packaging was thinner than DS cases.
    IMG_20110317_212910.jpg

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd guess that the cases are thinner because they probably don't have the GBA cart slots in them anymore.

Norfair on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That, and they don't positively cram them full of pamphlets and instruction manuals like they do with DS games.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Norfair wrote: »
    I'd guess that the cases are thinner because they probably don't have the GBA cart slots in them anymore.

I think they got rid of those like a year ago when they went for the "eco friendly" cases. I know pokemon doesn't have one

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • LodsiekLodsiek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Soooo... I played the 3DS today at Best Buy and was going to post my impressions... but they might be a bit long and this is page 100. Someone make a new thread?

Lodsiek on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can slap something together really quick if you're anxious to post all that.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0