As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Quest for Glory. Thanks to Piotyr for keeping this going!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Now that is what I call a shit eating grin. Yup. It's the grinnest.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish there was a way to kill the brigand leader. It's just so wrong that in a game that's all about finding multiple solutions there's only way to do that sequence.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Straight pimpin' like a hero. What. What.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to kill the brigand leader. It's just so wrong that in a game that's all about finding multiple solutions there's only way to do that sequence.

Well, Elsa is enchanted such that she's an invincible warrior. Also, killing her would probably not get you the title of hero. It would get you the title of "Wanted".

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

Crime: Being too awesome and grinning about it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hurrah and woohoo! You've finished the first quest. Now we head onto Shapier and do what heroes do best.

I don't think it's in the VGA version, but the EGA version had you flying over the town for a while as the credits rolled, and then at the end of the credits, SNEAK PREVIEW of QFG2!

Edit: Oh yeah, screens are done, fighter finale here soon.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He's even more smug in the EGA version.

135363-pic6.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That is the best image.
    The best.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »

Well, Elsa is enchanted such that she's an invincible warrior. Also, killing her would probably not get you the title of hero. It would get you the title of "Wanted".

I always murder his son.
    Anyway, the Baron doesn't have to know that Elsa was the brigand leader.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The first game is the only one that actually allows you to get away with such butchery, but it's not considered canon. In a later game, you can murder a person while you're robbing their house by slitting their throat while they're asleep, but he makes sounds, and the local law hears them.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That is the best image.
    The best.

Even better than this one?

rGmUr.gif

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ahhh I can't wait for game two. This is the best.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The EGA victory screen looks way cooler! He looks like a young Rutger Hauer.

Looking forward to QFG2, its probably my favorite out of all the games, though I love them all.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Josh, are you playing this on a Win7 computer, or do you have to use DOSBox or some such?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For the record, Cribbage is totally awesome.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Josh, are you playing this on a Win7 computer, or do you have to use DOSBox or some such?

Both!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That is the best image.
    The best.

Even better than this one?

rGmUr.gif

Yes. Because it's got blowing hair in the breeze and an upward angle and he's gazing off into the distance and he's not dapper. He's roguish and hand soloey.
    It's so freaking dorky looking. It's glorious.

The VGA guy does look infinitely better with sunglasses though. I gotta say.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can feel the smugness rolling off in waves.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The first game is the only one that actually allows you to get away with such butchery, but it's not considered canon. In a later game, you can murder a person while you're robbing their house by slitting their throat while they're asleep, but he makes sounds, and the local law hears them.

Not entirely true...
    You can kill the spider dude in QFG4 for pretty much no reason.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Not entirely true...
    You can kill the spider dude in QFG4 for pretty much no reason.
    That's true, but to be fair he did implicitly kill and devour his fellow thieves simply for questioning his ability to be Chief. So he's not really a great guy.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I liked the ega versions of 1 and 2 just beacuse it had cheat codes that let you make supid builds for later games.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Great job so far. Can't wait to see QFG2 (which is probably the best game in the series, given how buggy #4 is).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Great job so far. Can't wait to see QFG2 (which is probably the best game in the series, given how buggy #4 is).

I love four so much beacuse of the voice work (it was the first game I owned with full voice over work and I think the first game I owned on CD.)

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lies! 4 is still one of the best games ever!

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quest for Glory 4 also have, by far, the best atmosphere and plot.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    QFG3 spoilers
    I really feel like 3 was a wasted opportunity. There's so much they could have done with the whole culture clash thing, the humans basically being an inferior race to the Liontaurs, etc. but instead it was all teh demonz!!1 And then it's over before you can actually solve the major underlying issue of fundamental distrust and discord between the races and peoples of Tarna.

That and the Thief does jack-all the entire time.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    QFG3 spoilers
    I really feel like 3 was a wasted opportunity. There's so much they could have done with the whole culture clash thing, the humans basically being an inferior race to the Liontaurs, etc. but instead it was all teh demonz!!1 And then it's over before you can actually solve the major underlying issue of fundamental distrust and discord between the races and peoples of Tarna.

That and the Thief does jack-all the entire time.

Yeah that always bugged me. My thief never got to do anything cool.

I've always been pissed at how butered QG5 was compared to the demo. I missed having an eye to look and a hand to touch.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, QfG 5 was such a disappointment for me, in so many different ways.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Best cursor option in a Sierra game? The tongue in Space Quest 4.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Fighter - Set 8 - You're a hero...er sorry about Toro
    Our fighter fighting fightery hero (from fighter'sville) heads to the brigand fortress...

capture15032011183825.png
    Wait a minute what the hell am I doing in this cave? I'm goddamn walking muscle. In fact, I ought to kick the Baron out of his damn castle and take over this valley...hrm but no chicks. Damn maybe I'll go through the fortress the -right- way and some captured damsel will take a shining to me.

capture15032011184040.png
    Hi fellows, I'm baaaack!

capture15032011184044.png
    Awww they're so sweet. They shouldn't have!

capture15032011184047.png
    I dunno, I tend to bleed when poked by arrows...meh how bad can it be.

capture15032011184050.png
    Hehe, the arrows tickle...oh wait shit are they poisoned? ARE THEY POISONED? Oh? Poison isn't implemented until the second game? Good then. Carry on.

capture15032011184052.png
    Heeeeee-YUP over and into their faces!

capture15032011184054.png
    This is their welcoming party? I was expecting a little more...pizzaz. Streamers, candles, naked women. I'll show them what I think of their sucky welcome!

capture15032011184100.png
    That's one off the guest list.

capture15032011184104.png
    And another...and this last one looks a little drunk already.

capture15032011184214.png
    They...all ran off...come back! We haven't partied yet!

capture15032011184217.png
    Mmmmmm, walking beefsteak.

capture15032011184224.png
    Uh-oh...angry walking beefsteak.

capture15032011184229.png
    Must not...watch hypnotically...swaying loincloth...

capture15032011184241.png
    Can I get a HELL YEAH?!

capture15032011184302.png
    Wait a minute.
    The minotaur's flail looks peculiar. You pick it up and examine it closely.
    Cleverly concealed in the flail are 50 silvers.

capture15032011184307.png
    I think I just stole his medical insurance deductible.

capture15032011184409.png
    Polite chaps...hey wait a minute, I'm not that stupid to fall for this am I? *checks stat sheet* dammit I am the dumbest character. Must...resist urge...to die...

capture15032011184411.png
    Hrm....I'm a big walking muscle, I bet I can take care of this.

capture15032011184426.png
    Ok clicky hand thing, I KNOW I shouldn't trust you this time.

capture15032011184429.png
    Figured that out myself already...

capture15032011184432.png
    And I don't even have hairs on my chinny chin chin! Hell do I ever shave? I'm not certain. Maybe my heroness just causes it to fall out...but Chuck Norris has a beard. Going to have to think this one through.

capture15032011184434.png
    Revvin' up the engine

capture15032011184436.png
    KER-SPLAT

capture15032011184437.png
    Urrggghhhhh....

capture15032011184438.png
    Look, stars! Ready when you are, Raoul.

capture15032011184441.png
    I...think that's sarcasm. Is that sarcasm? I don't know anymore. I think I just knocked 10 points off my intellegence.

capture15032011184442.png
    Oh hey it worked. Lemme take 6 advil and I'll be back in the morning.

capture15032011184503.png
    Why this is just like the joke pa and I pulled on Mary-Sue back when we was trying for a Halloween laugh. Boy that was fun. Ah. Yeah. Hrm. What's Halloween?

capture15032011184910.png
    <insert Tarzan yell sound effect here>

capture15032011184941.png
    Oh wow really! Yeah I met Toro, he's a really nice dude! I mean...he was sure um...heavy...and kept a savings account...

capture15032011185104.png
    Hol-leeyyyy sheeeiiit! Look at all the booty! And there's a ton of treasure too!

capture15032011185121.png
    Yeah, gonna need those potions...damn gate...mutter mutter why doesn't the bell work right.

capture15032011185138.png
    Awful Pretty

capture15032011185254.png
    Pretty Awful

capture15032011185302.png
    Punfully Awful

capture15032011185328.png
    Notice poor Toro in the sling...
    Welll...I'm glad I only somewhat maimed that minotaur, not killed him.

capture15032011185338.png
    Also notice the two creators of the game down here (near the dragon head icon) Yeah. That's Lori Ann Cole in the harem outfit.

capture15032011185429.png
    Why isn't my cape blowing in the breeze? Hero capes ALWAYS blow in the breeze? Get that fan over here! I need my cape blowing!!!

capture15032011185456.png
    Yeah so I'm a completionist. Sue me.

capture15032011185503.png
    CRAP no floppy drive in my computer.

capture15032011185526.png
    And thus this story is at an end, to be placed in suspended animation like Professor Moriarty in Star Trek: TNG.
    [/SIZE]

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Whoa a perfect score. I don't think I've ever done that in the first game.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    you slaughtered them fools

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nicely done. I'll start playing the second game immediately.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Good, let me know the best way you find to take screenshots of it.

On a different note:
    I'll be totally honest. I thought the EGA version had more character than the VGA version. The difference between the hero poses at the end of the game is just one item in a huge list.

Edit Edit: Ok, all of you, even if you don't intend to play it, need to download the QFG2VGA version. They scanned in the entire F.A.C.S Booklet that came with that game, and it's flipping great.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guys...Guys...
    Somebody at RPS is totes following this thread, as evidenced by their newest Gaming Made Me article on QFG4.
    BEHOLD!!

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Getting ready to upload screenshots for Set 1 of the 2nd game. I made a few tactical errors in screenshotting because I wasn't used to the speed of this one yet, but I think it'll be okay.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This was a p good lp, even if you made a couple of technical errors at the beginning but they all sorted themselves ou-
    Getting ready to upload screenshots for Set 1 of the 2nd game. I made a few tactical errors in screenshotting because I wasn't used to the speed of this one yet, but I think it'll be okay.

oh josh. oh josh

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Don't you look at me like that, Rent

DON'T YOU LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Don't ever let Rust mock you.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's sort of weird that this LP is blowing up way more than VVVVVV

This isn't even the sort of LP style I'm known for

joshofalltrades on