As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Okamiden -- Ride that Puppy!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, the Wii version removed the end credits due to copyright issues.

Which was criminal.

I still enjoyed it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Phew, finally finished Okamiden tonight. I think I'll play it again someday since there is some stuff I want to try.

It was interesting to say the least.

Adellios on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Adellios wrote: »
    After seeing most of the concept stuff (Realistic Graphics/Dinosaurs/Dolphin and Eagle Forms/Etc.) I think a modern setting game would not work out so well...

Still waiting on my Okamiden artbook Capcom, make it happen.

Realistic graphics? No you do it super stylized like in Okami just in modern times. Bad ass magic wolf god running around downtown tokyo fighting demons? Hell yeah that sounds rad as fuck.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Which was criminal.

I still enjoyed it.

Yeah, this is what rubs me the wrong way about the Wii port of Okami. It wasn't ported by Clover (which had been disbanded) and I think I heard that assets had to be remade from scratch because they were no longer available. The removal of the credits was a big middle finger to Clover.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The re-use of old locations manages to come over as a nice bit of continuity rather than laziness which is nice. Two 'dungeons' in and I can heartily recommend this to anyone who liked the first game as this seems to essesntially be a love letter to it. I would also recommend it to people who haven't played the first game, but given its rave reviews and availability on the biggest selling console in both the current and previous gens, there's probably not much getting through to them.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Really, I would not want on Okami HD remake. Just make another entry in the series and make that HD. An Okami in modern times would be interesting. You could have all the ancient demons and spirits crop up in the modern world.
    What, Okami in an urban environment? Unless you ended up retaking the environment Flower-style, no thanks, running around beautiful natural environments was half the game.

Glal on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The re-use of old locations manages to come over as a nice bit of continuity rather than laziness which is nice. Two 'dungeons' in and I can heartily recommend this to anyone who liked the first game as this seems to essesntially be a love letter to it. I would also recommend it to people who haven't played the first game, but given its rave reviews and availability on the biggest selling console in both the current and previous gens, there's probably not much getting through to them.

What about people who like the 2D handheld Zeldas, for their sense of tight control, exploration, puzzley dungeons and simple combat? Was thinking it would make a good birthday present for my mum, since she's crying out for another handheld Zelda and REALLY didn't care for Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks. I feel the combat is probably a little too fiddly going off the demo, but perhaps the full thing isn't so reliant on brush-use in battles.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, there's no denying brush use is pretty prevalent, but then again time freezes for 30 seconds when you go into brush mode so you shouldn't ever feel rushed or anything. There is also an easier difficulty.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Loving the game but FUCK make all the dialgoue button skippable! Cut scenes take forever! They did this in Okami as well and it was annoying as a cyst on the butthole. Why did they do it again?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, there's no denying brush use is pretty prevalent, but then again time freezes for 30 seconds when you go into brush mode so you shouldn't ever feel rushed or anything. There is also an easier difficulty.

It's 15 seconds in combat it seems. The only frustrating thing I've come across with the brush is that sometimes I want to do something like a power slash and get some sort of spout instead. It's usually pretty good about knowing what you want to draw though. You dont have to use brush at all for most of the fights (but it makes them easier.)

I'm not sure if I could compare it to a 2D Zelda but I tried playing Phantom Hourglass and couldn't get into it because of the controls. I find Okamiden way less clunky to me and the control layout is pretty comfortable (except on the DSphat where I keep looking for my start button.)

Exploration is usually rewarding and the dungeons have a decent amount of puzzles... Just dont expect the Tower of Hanoi or anything.

Adellios on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Adellios wrote: »

It's 15 seconds in combat it seems. The only frustrating thing I've come across with the brush is that sometimes I want to do something like a power slash and get some sort of spout instead. It's usually pretty good about knowing what you want to draw though. You dont have to use brush at all for most of the fights (but it makes them easier.)

I'm not sure if I could compare it to a 2D Zelda but I tried playing Phantom Hourglass and couldn't get into it because of the controls. I find Okamiden way less clunky to me and the control layout is pretty comfortable (except on the DSphat where I keep looking for my start button.)

Exploration is usually rewarding and the dungeons have a decent amount of puzzles... Just dont expect the Tower of Hanoi or anything.

It's not developed by Bioware, so at least we're safe on that front! All sounds good - my only negative memories of Okami were running into instanced battles every 30 seconds in some parts, and them involving power-slash (and occasionally other powers) over and over again. If there's an easy mode so much the better.

And if the dungeon puzzles are anything like Okami 1's, they'll be perfect - I just feared that they'd be a bit less ambitious. I really haven't come across anything other than Okami that even comes close to the magical blend of tile puzzles/environmental awareness/tool use/light combat that Zelda's dungeon rooms have.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So the downloadable demo for this game is particularly terrible.

jothki on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

Which was criminal.

I still enjoyed it.

Yeah, this is what rubs me the wrong way about the Wii port of Okami. It wasn't ported by Clover (which had been disbanded) and I think I heard that assets had to be remade from scratch because they were no longer available. The removal of the credits was a big middle finger to Clover.

Or, you know, they couldn't use it.

Buncha jerks.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Endaro wrote: »

Couldn't use it or just didn't bother to? Did they contact Clover and ask or anything?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    It's not developed by Bioware, so at least we're safe on that front! All sounds good - my only negative memories of Okami were running into instanced battles every 30 seconds in some parts, and them involving power-slash (and occasionally other powers) over and over again.
    Unless you're going for demon fangs you hardly ever needed brush powers in combat (aside from the occasional rejuvenation or element connect for very specific enemies), your weapons do way more damage than them.
    Personally I always played with two upraded reflectors (double damage for using two reflectors plus instakill counters for big enemies) for normal battles and glaives for boss battles.
    If they ever did Okami HD I hope they put in an extra difficulty level. The combat system is surprisingly deep if you actually bother doing more than just mash attack, you even see elements that would later end up in Bayonetta (like being able to dodge offset combos). A lot deeper than is required for the difficulty given, aside from the hidden challenges.

Glal on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Endaro wrote: »

Couldn't use it or just didn't bother to? Did they contact Clover and ask or anything?

Clover was defunct by that point wasn't it? Copyright issues can get a little fuzzy when the original company goes bust.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That never made sense to me. Capcom owned Clover. Why wouldn't they have the rights to it?

It's not right to deny all the people who slaved over that game any semblance of credit.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's because the answer is BS. What, was it not in the budget to make a new set of credits? It's not exactly the most difficult part of making a game.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    Really, I would not want on Okami HD remake. Just make another entry in the series and make that HD. An Okami in modern times would be interesting. You could have all the ancient demons and spirits crop up in the modern world.
    What, Okami in an urban environment? Unless you ended up retaking the environment Flower-style, no thanks, running around beautiful natural environments was half the game.

We could take it even further. How about Amaterasu restoring a post apocalyptic land (brought upon by demonic influence of course)? It could start off with here barley existing and a spark of faith brings her back. Either that or it brings back adult Chibi.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That never made sense to me. Capcom owned Clover. Why wouldn't they have the rights to it?
    Wiki wrote:
    Clover Studio (クローバースタジオ株式会社 Kurōbāsutajio Kabushikigaisha) was an independent Japanese development studio, funded by Capcom Japan.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Apparently, Clover was too awesome to exist. :(

Krathoon on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Okami trailer gave me manly tears when she howls and turns the landscape all pretty. :(

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Glal wrote: »

We could take it even further. How about Amaterasu restoring a post apocalyptic land (brought upon by demonic influence of course)? It could start off with here barley existing and a spark of faith brings her back. Either that or it brings back adult Chibi.

That would be totally awesome have the world get completely apocalypse'd and then Chibi or whomever has to restore it piece by piece.

Terranigma style.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Before playing Okamiden, I plan to finish the original game. Glad I bought an older PS3 model with PS2 compatibility. I didn't image that I have this much fun with the game. (At first glance I thought it is overrated because it is considered niche) The fights a bit simplistic, but its great to figure out how to defeat the enemy the fastest.
    Sneaking into enemy base...

okamin.jpg

The graphics for the Wii version are basically that of the PS2 with the post processing turned off - no extra cell shading added, as some people claimed in various reviews. According to a programer of PS2 emulation software: "Okami does unholy things with the PS2's video output". That the game still looks great without the effect is a testament for the art direction. (Maybe some models/textures received an update in the Wii port, because some were lost after Clover disbanded - according to the Wikipedia entry. Progressiv + widescreen might be another plus for Wii version) - The control issues don't sound that hot, though :/

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okami's Wii controls were a textbook case of motion control being a detriment rather than a bonus if implemented badly. They weren't game breaking though, just occasionally infuriating.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    The fights a bit simplistic, but its great to figure out how to defeat the enemy the fastest.
    I know I said it a bit earlier, but fights are easy, rather than simplistic. If you ever do the hidden challenge gates you need to milk the system for all it's worth to survive; they're the equivalent of running the story mode of a fighting game on Easy mode and beating everything with a crouch-kick, then going against a real player.

Glal on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Color me intrigued then. Are you refering to the "Bottle head man"? Or are these challenge gates something else enterly? edit: ( I assume yes)

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Man, I cannot get demon parts to drop to save my life. I have to be doing something wrong.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okami's Wii controls were a textbook case of motion control being a detriment rather than a bonus if implemented badly. They weren't game breaking though, just occasionally infuriating.

Frankly if you did that Tree blooming dance in less than 10 tries you are a ninja of some sort. I consider a mandatory cinema scene with no checkpoints having faulty controls game breaking though

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I want to say it took me about seven. God that sucked.

I'd never played the PS2 version, just went straight to Wii.

It was easily the longest adventure game I've ever played.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    Color me intrigued then. Are you refering to the "Bottle head man"? Or are these challenge gates something else enterly? edit: ( I assume yes)
    They're hidden challenge gates where you need to fight 10 rounds in a row (no quitting or it resets) of increasingly more challenging enemies. You don't just end up fighting multiple bosses from the game, you're thrown against upgraded bosses and ultimately an enemy you don't even get to fight in the game proper. It's hard and there's not a great chance you'll bump into them by accident.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Man, I cannot get demon parts to drop to save my life. I have to be doing something wrong.
    You mustn't do any damage to them between dropping them to zero HP and slashing them. The moment your last hit 'kills' them bring up the brush interface and slash them.

[edit] And the tree blooming was a problem on the PS2 also, unless you lucked out and just happened to draw rejuvenations correctly by default. Basically, you need to draw a bit more than a full circle and the line must end up on the outside of the line that started the circle. If you cross them or just pull out sloppily it'll fail more often than not.

I'm really enjoying Okamiden so far, they've captured the feel and charm of the original game surprisingly well for being a different team and the soundtrack is fantastic. And I rather liked the first game (don't click if you've not finished the original and want the end rewards a surprise).

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I was hoping they would be of better quality for that price. The ears are a little too big in my opinion.

Okami merchandise is usually a must-buy for me too.

Adellios on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yea, those are not the official Capcom ones.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Capcom needs to get the lead out. Really, a FF like figurine of Amie would fine.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They're the ones Capcom was selling at PAX. It's not the $60 limited edition one that was sold in Japan however.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rakai wrote: »

They're the ones Capcom was selling at PAX. It's not the $60 limited edition one that was sold in Japan however.

They don't look the same at all... the ears especially. I mean, they could be, but they're about half the price, and they don't look right.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rakai wrote: »

They don't look the same at all... the ears especially. I mean, they could be, but they're about half the price, and they don't look right.

http://www.newyork-tokyo.com/wp/2011/03/04/limited-edition-okamiden-plushies-at-pax-east-2011/

They look the same to me.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Huh... maybe it's just the angle or lighting. Something looks really off about them.
    My bad. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I like this one better, the other one just looks like a a modified plush someone made.

okamiden_plush.jpg

Glal on