As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Song of Ice and Fire: The pilot is so close you can taste the incest.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bronns going ot be a major player later on

remember he
    murdered his really dumb wife's brother or whatever to secure the land for himself
    Right but, what does he have besides that land? He has no high and mighty friends (even less so than previously). The only thing I can think is that he whores himself out to someone like Dany or Stannis, but even then... how useful could he possibly be? His thing was always being a man-on-the-ground.

exis on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    exis wrote: »

remember he
    murdered his really dumb wife's brother or whatever to secure the land for himself
    Right but, what does he have besides that land? He has no high and mighty friends (even less so than previously). The only thing I can think is that he whores himself out to someone like Dany or Stannis, but even then... how useful could he possibly be? His thing was always being a man-on-the-ground.
    Badassery?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

remember he
    Badassery?
    The ruthless gall to take whatever he can by force.

In otherwords, the very first in noble traits.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's a pretty large and distinct gap between a character acting illogically or stupidly and a character acting out of character.

Some people have trouble making that distinction

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

remember he
    Badassery?
    The ruthless gall to take whatever he can by force.

In otherwords, the very first in noble traits.
    If Warhammer's taught me anything - you can't be the general if you're on a dragon. Someone's got to keep the rest of the guys inline whilst you're elsewhere.

Being number 2 for now is always more fun than actually ruling some shithole.

Tastyfish on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The last Maester's Path thing is out.
    If you look at the Menu's in the link they seem to go in order based on the which fruit in the pictures has been cut. Also parts of it are written in Red.

King's Landing - T R
    Riverlands F - H
    Wall T
    (S) Pentos - T
    (W)interfell N D - A - A

But then I have no idea what to do with this information. I can't seem to stop the drink from pouring no matter what I do with either the keyboard or mouse.

Asiina on
  • KryntekKryntek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Someone finally figured it out.
    Type "tears of lys" while it's pouring

Kryntek on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kryntek wrote: »
    no spaces

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good scene. I'm loving Robert.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • KryntekKryntek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grove wrote: »
    Kryntek wrote: »
    no spaces
    Works either way for me.

Kryntek on
  • SkySky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone have a "Civl War? I'm with Tyrion Lannister" image? :)

Why do I get a feeling Dinklage is going to start ruling conventions in the next few years?

Sky on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good scene. I'm loving Robert.

Cut it at the line I really wanted to hear the rest of.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spoiler-free review of the first Ep of Game of Thrones from someone who's never read the book
    Game Of Thrones is gory, adult stuff, and appears to have been designed specifically to rile Daily Mail readers, with its foul-mouthed young princes and unapologetic nudity. The rather self-consciously sensationalistic moments don't always sit well with its grittier, more dramatic points, but then again, it would probably feel a little too po-faced without a few moments of crude levity.

Jragghen on
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Some good stuff on Not a Blog today. Probably causing some people who don't check the date too often some severe nerd rage.

burbo on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It sounds like a bad idea until you consider This will allow each reader to follow his favorite characters, and ignore the ones he finds tedious, whiny, or annoying.

they should have done this for a wheel of time!

Alegis on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Spoiler-free review of the first Ep of Game of Thrones from someone who's never read the book
    appears to have been designed specifically to rile Daily Mail readers

This makes me like it without having even watched it.

V1m on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the guy who's playing the Mountain is actually seven feet tall

and his name is Conan Stevens

that seems like an unusually prescient name choice

Evil Multifarious on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the guy who's playing the Mountain is actually seven feet tall

and his name is Conan Stevens

that seems like an unusually prescient name choice

(SoS spoiler)

"Gregor, what is best in life?"
    "To kill the screaming whelps of your enemies, rape them, and smash their fucking heads in."

KalTorak on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alan Sepinwall (who has not read the books) says the first two episodes are excellent, but no full review yet.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sepinwall is a really good tv critic too, he's usually trustworthy

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HBO just had a character feature spot for Littlefinger.

I think the casting person who picked Aidan Gillen for the role was spot on tbh.

Havelock on
  • MastashakeMastashake Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm re-reading the first two books, and something occurred to me. Both Stark daughters: Sansa and Arya, got what they wanted.

Arya got a life of excitement and adventure
    Sansa got caught up in the movings and shakings of lords and ladies, knights and their maidens.

They just got the dark, ugly versions of those wishes. There's something about underbelly wish-fulfillment that I really like out of their lives.

But thats not what this post is really about. We have all these character pieces up on youtube, but where is Hodor's?

Come on, give me Hodor.

Mastashake on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Question about King Robert (big spoiler if you haven't read the first book)
    I have never read the series, sadly I've tried to get into it several times, but despite loving what I've read, I always managed to get sidetracked by another book.

However, I do remember reading somewhere that King Robert dies.

I love Mark Addy, the actor playing him on the show. So I'm curious as to how long I can expect King Robert to live. Is his death very early in the story? Can I expect him to die within the first few episodes. OR does he last a while before he meets his gruesome drunken end?

I just gotta know so I'm not too crushed if he dies very early on.

Oh yeah, as a side-note, I plan on doing what I did with Lord of the Rings with this series. Watch it first, THEN read the books. I find it better to read afterwords so I have even more content to look forward too, rather than less wrapped up in a pretty box.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's 10 episodes, right?

I'd guess around episode 6 or 7, 8 at the latest, depending on what they want to do with the aftermath.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why does this thread make Chrome give me a security warning about warseer.com?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Could be someone's avatar.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wishpig is linking an image that triggers the security warning

JacksWastedLife on
  • SkySky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am just realizing, since GRRM wrote his books with character specific chapters, this means something very different can be done for the episodes.

And with an earlier poster, yeah, this means people can skip or not pay attention to the characters they don't care for. (Kind of like with "Trueblood." ;) )

But then, doesn't this mean the storylines of individual characters can be a lot more different then what was in the books? Some characters can now have the opportunity to have a lot more going on, since we can follow those characters around with a camera and see their lives more.

I am liking this, if they pursue this as a course of action. Give me more character and character activity.

Sky on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is chrome telling anyone that warseer has malware?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    finnith wrote: »
    Is chrome telling anyone that warseer has malware?

Yep, it is. The forums need to be nuked from orbit. With fire. Or Vanilla. Only way to be sure.

The closer this gets to release the more I think "Damnit, I know what's going to happen...where's the new book?". So eventually the TV show will catch up and pass the books and it'll just be the 2nd part and progress shall be made!

Xeddicus on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure someone just linked to warseer on that page because it's not happening to me on any other page.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had been ignoring this thread (and the previous thread) for months, randomly clicked on it today, and found out that a) the tv show is just a few weeks away, and b) per GRRM, the new book is coming out in just a few months! Great news all around.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just read on aicn that HBO is showing the first 15 mins of the first episode tonight.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The preview is up over at the blog, probably hit Youtube sometime tonight.

I have my first (minor) disappointing change...
    I wanted to see Theon play soccer with the deserter's head.

Tomanta on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yay for previews!
    Cat looking at Jon was a nice moment.

Arya and Sansa; Arya and Bran. :^: "Here, Arya is worse than her sister"; "here, Arya is better than all of her brothers".

Wights / Beyond the Wall were fair. I don't care so much that they opened at the wall, though. Made it feel more rushed.

Bran's talk with Eddard was good. The actual beheading was meh.
    Hype++

Tamin on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bah the video doesn't play for me. Must be US only.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The execution wouldn't have made any sense without the stuff at the Wall, and wouldn't have let Eddard tell Bran (and the viewer) what was going on.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    The execution wouldn't have made any sense without the stuff at the Wall, and wouldn't have let Eddard tell Bran (and the viewer) what was going on.

Yeah, I probably worded that badly.
    The book opens with the rangers in the middle of the forest. The movie opens with them leaving the wall.

So them finding the camp within, oh, 5 minutes of screen time, doesn't really give any indication of how long they've been searching for.

All of this is subject to my memory; I can't find my copy at the moment.

Tamin on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah the opening
    made it feel like they'd only ranged a few miles from the wall before bumping into Wights and Walkers.

RT800 on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For my fellow Canadian Brothers (and/or Sisters), the sneak peak can be found here:
    http://www.hbocanada.com/gameofthrones/sneakpeek.php

Operative21 on
This discussion has been closed.