As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"male role-model" movies

2»

• Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bullit. Stevee McQueen was a lot cooler than any of today's action heroes.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon

Kurt Russel - Tombstone, my favourite western i think and full of manliness

Quirk on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Raere wrote: »
    There's an obscure-ish movie that I saw a few years ago that's about a typical average guy being a role-model to a younger boy About a Boy
    is the name. I dunno.
    Big fan of this movie, though I'm not sure it fills the testosterone junkie requirement.

How about El, from Desperado?

Shamus on
  • Options
    LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Raere wrote: »
    There's an obscure-ish movie that I saw a few years ago that's about a typical average guy being a role-model to a younger boy. About a Boy is the name. I dunno.

I wrote a 10page college paper on it. Fantastic movie (as good as the book) though probably not what the OP would be looking for. Its really more about how the man (manchild, really) and boy are role models for each other. You should see it anyway because its just that goddamn fantastic.

Terminator 2 is what you want. I mean, the former Mr. Universe blowing shit up to protect a future (male) world leader, interspersed with monologues by Sarah Connor about how the Terminator was "the ultimate father". You can't get any more dead on to what you asked for.

LiveWire on
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    300 - King Leonidas

If you want a stereotypical manly role model, it doesn't get any better than that.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sin City. Three very different men, but they are all quite manly. In a way.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rhino wrote: »
    I heard that "The Unforgiven" with Client Eastwood is just a fucking classic.

but I can't confirm that personally, it's from a third party source.
    Third party source is usually reliable.

As someone who has seen nearly all of Clint Eastwood's westerns, I have to say "The Unforgiven" was considerably overhyped. It's a decent movie, but nothing special. Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter and the Fistful trilogy were much better. I think it just got it's reputation because it was the first "classic style" western in years and it was Clint's last. Aside from Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman being in it, it's got nothing special going for it. If you want to see Clint Eastwood's best, Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter are the ones you want to watch.
    Sonos wrote: »
    Bullit. Stevee McQueen was a lot cooler than any of today's action heroes.

Steve McQueen was cool for the time, but when I watched the much lauded Bullitt, I was underwhelmed. It may be one of the grand-daddies of the genre, but just like Wolf 3D is to Half-Life 2, it's been done much better since. Die Hard perfected the rogue cop character and Ronin perfected the car chase. Unfortunately for Bullitt, it was a noteworthy film for it's editing and sound, and not so much it's storyline or acting (which were both pretty bland). The style of film editing and use of sound have been refined to the point that Bullitt seems flat by comparison and really shows it's age. Other better films like Heat outclass Bullitt in pretty much every way, and it just doesn't stand the test of time.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh, and because no one has mentioned them yet that I noticed, for masculine stereotypes you can't go wrong with Mad Max and Deadwood.

In particular, The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome develop Max's character into a loner badass, though of course, he always reluctantly does the right thing in the end, otherwise he'd just be a selfish asshole.

As for Deadwood, between Al Swearengen, Seth Bullock, Dan Dority and George Hearst, there's no shortage of badasses, though Hearst is portrayed as a genuinely cold hearted bastard and is really the villain of the third season. Swearengen is the baddest motherfucker on the show, but there's no way you can't like him in spite of being a mean sonofabitch most of the time. While Bullock is the "good guy" in the camp, his barely contained rage and the frequency with which he succumbs to resorting to violence makes him pretty badass as well. Dan Dority is just a badass because he kills other guys with ease.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    virgilsammsvirgilsamms Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yojimbo - Akira Kurosawa

virgilsamms on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Quirk wrote: »
    Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon

BruceLee.jpg

He is all man.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    hells yeh bruce lee all the way. all the rest are little girls.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Robert Deniro in Ronin

RazzleDazz on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Shane.

Cool Hand Luke.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Shinto on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Good Night and Good Luck
    Smoooke

Tiemler on
  • Options
    BelketreBelketre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    John Wayne, and pretty much every movie he was in.

Charles Bronson as well.

Belketre on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Shane.

Cool Hand Luke.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

edit: I agree with shane and cool hand look, but I have no idea who or what was perticularly memorable in a masculine sense about OFOCN.

Sliver on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Good Night and Good Luck
    Smoooke

least masculine movie possibly of all times. bore fest.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Road House?
    I seem to remember a generous amount of testosterone fueled brawls, as well as some nice titties. I think there may have been some plot too, but who knows?
    Seems to have all that is required for a man movie.

Plus, it's got the voice actor for Starscream in it. Can you get more manly? I think not.

see317 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well for quirky male who knows everything you can't go wrong with Zero Effect.

You could pick up episodes of the Venture Brothers for Brock Sampson kicking everything alives ass.

24 has the all american bad ass in Jack Bauer

And for shame no one mentioned Inspector Tequila from Hardboiled, or the titular Killer from John Woo's The Killer.

The Warriors has a lot of cliche testorone in it.

The Rundown, walking tall, the scorpion king, for some Dwayne The Rock Johnson awesomeness.

And the Mummy films.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net