As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: I wish there was a word to describe the pleasure I feel in viewing misfortune

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
communitypopop.jpg

Season 1 on DVD now. Soundtrack also available on iTunes and at Amazon

Community is without a doubt one of the best shows in the history of television. Bold humor, interesting characters, pinstripes for added flair and a spoiler to decrease wind resistance, very few shows can compare to the worst Community episode. Season 2 is ending, and Season 3 has been confirmed by Dan Harmon, the show's creator. The show revolves around a study group at a local Community College in Greendale, Colorado. It airs Thursday nights on NBC at 8pm eastern/west, 7pm central. This show isn't just head of the class, it's Streets ahead television

When a new Community isn't on TV, we all feel this way:

communitybradybunch1.jpg

and watching the show is like being hit in the face with happiness:

anniepunch.gif

WARNING: If you do not like the Barenaked Ladies, go watch Two and a Half Men instead. And racism does not compute:

communityracism.jpg

Let's see the relationships at large in this grand experiment of a show:

Jeff Winger and himself

communityA.jpg

Jeff is a former lawyer who needs get his bachelor's degree in order to get back to practicing law. To do so, he went to Greendale, and has since found a family. An agnostic hipster with a dumb gay dad who left him as a child, his love for attention is surpassed only by handcrafted Italian faucets and Scandinavian facial scrubs. He also tried out for and failed to get on Real World Seattle.

Shirley Bennett (aka Shirley the Cloying) and Pierce Hawthorne (aka Pierce the Insensitive aka Pierce the Dickish aka Grandpa the Flatulent)

CommunityB.jpg

Shirley is going to college to get a business degree to sell brownies online. A mother of two with a third child on the way, she has recently reconciled with her estranged husband Theo Huxtable and must also check the door before she goes through it. Pierce is the best character on the show whose family created the Hawthorne Wipes Moist Towelette company, and having run the business for so long, has decided to reinvent himself at Greendale. Deeply, deeply flawed and harboring lingering resentment to his Colonel Sanders father, he knows Jeff's secret, he knows about the chair. He is also a recovering pill popper who coined the phrase Streets Ahead, coined and minted, zip zop zooey.

Britta Perry and Annie Edison

communityC.jpg

CommunityF.jpg

The true odd couple. One's a late 20's sexy hippy hipster with poor money skills desperate to be seen as a rebel to a society that isn't arguing with her and quick to pass judgment on others who seem to conform to "The Man." The other is a cute conservative uptight overachiever who lives above a sex store and wants to be seen as a more mature woman. One is the heart of the group, the other is the conscience, yet both crave Winger's wanger. They pass the time having tickle fights and making out, exploring their sexuality.

Troy "Buttsoup" Barnes and Abed Nadir

CommunityD.jpg

CommunityE.jpg

True soulmates. A former highschool jock and a twenty something pop culture film fanatic, there is a strong chance that if one dies the other will be buried with the other, claiming suicide in order to get Firefly back on the air. Abed can see things via stopmotion animation, Troy would probably like the stopmotion puppets to do something to his butt.

Ben Chang, "El Tigre Chino"

CommunityG.jpg

Chang is a severely disturbed individual, who has even more mental problems than Pierce and Abed combined. Add to the point that he faked a Spanish Degree and taught at Greendale for nearly 4 years before being caught, he is more than likely the father to Shirley's third child.

The Supporting Cast

communitysupporting-3.jpg

And finally, the tags, the delicious, delicious tags:

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlyxY-XXSkg[/url]

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfDbBmEJWW0[/url]

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjSNxBtxO0U[/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlCN7sLh6Gk&feature=related

It's all downhill from here, so enjoy the show, talk about the show and how Britta is better than Annie, and remember: you have to believe. Come, join us in a wonderland of delightful TV:

corel201.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    community-senor-chang-562.jpg

Am I the only one who is surprised we haven't seen one of those Obama parody posters with CHANG on it?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love the picture of Pierce with Not Shirley. Awesome OP.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Leonard and Magnitude are the true power couple.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kiwi wrote: »
    I love the picture of Pierce with Not Shirley. Awesome OP.

I questioned that as well. I'm guessing that was intentional. Also, Pierce info needs to include that he coined streets ahead.

Until then this thread is streets behind. Unless I missed it then I'm streets behind.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yay, my favorite show!!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so in breaking NBC Thursday night comedy news:

Perfect Couples is cancelled.

It will be replaced with "The Paul Reiser Show" ASAP. The show's premise is kind of funny - it's a fictional account of his life since Mad About You ended. So he plays himself, but it's not real at all.

I havent seen Paul Reiser in so long that I have no idea if he is going to be funny or not. I'm betting not, but it could be alright....

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    JonBob wrote: »

Pop! Pop!

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »

It will be replaced with "The Paul Reiser Show" ASAP. The show's premise is kind of funny - it's a fictional account of his life since Mad About You ended. So he plays himself, but it's not real at all.

I havent seen Paul Reiser in so long that I have no idea if he is going to be funny or not. I'm betting not, but it could be alright....
    It should tell you how funny he is that the only thing he's really done since Mad About You ended twelve years ago is come up with a show about fake things he's done since Mad About You ended twelve years ago.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It should tell you how funny he is that the only thing he's really done since Mad About You ended twelve years ago is come up with a show about fake things he's done since Mad About You ended twelve years ago.

I never watched Mad About You, and I also never watched Perfect Couples. I probably skipped both for the same general reason. I don't care about middle-aged married people. Never have, probably never will until I am one of them.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Eh, perfect couples seemed ok because they seemed to be a bit more realistic. Sunny works so well because its late 20-early 30 year olds just getting hammered a lot and doing stupid shit, which im pretty sure is what our generation is up to. We no longer get jobs and start families like we used to. We are about 5-10 years later on the growing up scale.

Pefect couples had a bit of that vibe too.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moment of silence for The Waitress.

Otherwise I'm not that sad to see it go. It kind of seemed to have potential, but that never got realized.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perfect Couples itself was a mid-season replacement. So now we're onto replacing replacements. Stop throwing shit at the wall NBC...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Moment of silence for The Waitress.

Otherwise I'm not that sad to see it go. It kind of seemed to have potential, but that never got realized.
    Real reason it was canceled?

Someone found out she had a new show and the producers are allergic to hornets
    Hisforhornets.jpg

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well then he can celebrate the cancelation with a nice milk steak and a bowl of the finest jelly beans
    raw

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's something like 13 pilots/comedies being made for NBC for next season, I don't know how many of them are being lined up for Thursday Night. You just have to hope they all fail so NBC doesn't think of replacing Community.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    people who STILL think Community is in any sort of danger are silly.

I bet all my dicks on Season 2 a year ago, and did the same this year for 3.

If there isn't some sort of totally insane collapse, there will be a Season 4.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Love the OP

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    people who STILL think Community is in any sort of danger are silly.

I bet all my dicks on Season 2 a year ago, and did the same this year for 3.

If there isn't some sort of totally insane collapse, there will be a Season 4.

Running a ponzi dick scheme? Which celebrities and well known charities are caught up in your dickery?

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    JonBob wrote: »

Pop! Pop!

Pbbbbbt!

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    perfect couples was getting pretty good.
    i like the guy who plays rex.
    but enough about not community.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This OP sums up whats wrong with season 2! Chang should be down in the supportng cast section, not floating above it in main-character-ville!

If anything Duncan should be up in that mid teir and Chang should be lower. More Duncan! More Duncan!

Hes such a weird character because when hes on it hes clearly a rather large character, but hes hardly on it. Is this mainly due to Jon Oliver's schedule not accomodating? Because hes pretty amazing when he gets a shot to be on it.

Plus we havent really seen his reaction to just how far Chang has fallen. Come to think of it, he was rather nice to Chang when they both dressed up as Waldo. Perhaps now that Duncan is sober he hates Chang less?

C'mon Duncan, force your way into the show:
    tumblr_la0br5Cm501qbjtzz.gif
    Excellent.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I too could go for more Duncan. This conversation made me a community fan for life:
    Duncan: I'm a professor. You can't talk to me that way!
    Jeff: A six-year-old girl could talk to you that way!
    Duncan: Yes, because that would be adorable.
    Laughed my ass off.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Hes such a weird character because when hes on it hes clearly a rather large character, but hes hardly on it. Is this mainly due to Jon Oliver's schedule not accomodating? Because hes pretty amazing when he gets a shot to be on it.

Yea, he was on the Nerdist a couple weeks ago during SXSW and he said due to his dedication to The Daily Show and other stand-up he only has a limited amount of time to do Community.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Chang is the bestest character. If you disagree I will fight you.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well then he can celebrate the cancelation with a nice milk steak and a bowl of the finest jelly beans
    raw

is the milk steak boiled over hard?

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    I too could go for more Duncan. This conversation made me a community fan for life:
    Duncan: I'm a professor. You can't talk to me that way!
    Jeff: A six-year-old girl could talk to you that way!
    Duncan: Yes, because that would be adorable.
    Laughed my ass off.

That was one of 3 moments from the pilot that made me go "ok I think this show is going to work."

The other two were Abed-Jeff exchanges. The whole Jeff texting Abed to leave exchange was great. The other was when everyone was making faces about Jeff rejoining the group and mouthing to each other and Abed goes "whats happening? Am I deaf?"

Those three moments sealed me in from episode 1.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, go vote in this:

Hulu Best in Show

It's been bouncing between being tied to being 1-5% below Chuck the entire week.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The show's already been renewed, for those of you worried on the first page.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    BABOOBABOO Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    Chang is the bestest character. If you disagree I will fight you.

I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could chang his mind.

See what I did there?

BABOO on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It took me a little bit to get the "I'm making a documentary about my life but it's mostly me watching dailies" joke

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps I didnt get the joke. I just assumed Dallies were like a word for Soap Operas or other daily TV show, and that filming himself in his room is mainly just him watching TV. What was the joke Im missing?

Also, knowing community we will get an episode that is nothing but footage from Abed's security camera(s). It will be glorious.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dailies are the raw footage you're getting from on set.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dailies is what they call the footage shot for a movie/TV show that day.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps I didnt get the joke. I just assumed Dallies were like a word for Soap Operas or other daily TV show, and that filming himself in his room is mainly just him watching TV. What was the joke Im missing?

Also, knowing community we will get an episode that is nothing but footage from Abed's security camera(s). It will be glorious.

It refers to reviewing yesterday's footage of the documentary.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn fine OP, Tex. Damn fine.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    dailies is like the footage you have after a day of shooting a movie/doc/etc

look at them at the end of the day

... I think

edit - haha we were all on that

also I'm sad to say I would probably vote for dexter over community but I hope it gets that far.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so basically he's watching the footage mostly of himself watching his other footage

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Which is just like his movie!

Abed abed abeeeeedddddd!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Which is just like his movie!

Abed abed abeeeeedddddd!

cool cool cool

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, go vote in this:

Hulu Best in Show

It's been bouncing between being tied to being 1-5% below Chuck the entire week.

Does that already include the bonus critic points?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png