As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2011 Suggestions Thread

14567810»

• Blade FusionBlade Fusion Timmins, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If anything, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a return by The One-Ups. They are TOO solid a band to pass by. They totally love PAX and would love to come back to play again.

I would love to see these bands:
    The One-Ups
    Anamanaguchi
    Paul & Storm
    Video Game Orchestra
    Metroid Metal
    The Protomen
    Minibosses
    JoCo

This would be the most epic line-up evar. Imagine a live collaboration of the Minibosses, VGO and The One-Ups? Mind blowing!

I would also love to see some of the line management I saw (and LOVED) at PAX East 2011. That was a fantastic job done.

Other than that, I can't wait to see tickets go on sale.

Cheers :D

Blade Fusion on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I agree, East was ran very well this year, I was very impressed.

Also agree 100% about bringing The OneUps back! I have to put in my support for Powerglove too, people loved their show in Jamspace at East, and if anybody follows their Facebook or Twitter you'll see that they really want to come to Prime, and even play main stage.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PixelPrime wrote: »
    So what's the deal with the cell reception at PAX? Since I'm travelling over from the U.K., I was planning on grabbing a PAYG sim from somewhere with some sort of prepaid data plan. I know over here, you only have to pay between £10-20 for a network-tied sim with some form of basic WAP access.

Could I pick up something similar in the States, on AT&T or Verizon? Just looking for the most hassle-free sim-only deal, really. Don't mind slapping $20 a day on it if it means I can contact my friends / wife whilst at the convention.

I grabbed an AT&T SIM while over for Prime 2010. PAYG rates seemed fairly bad (if I remember correctly, data was almost as expensive as roaming data from the UK), but it was brilliant to be able to call US peeps trivially, and texting other UK peeps with me worked well.

Do watch out that you'll need an unlocked phone, and that the SIM will expire (along with your credit) after a few months (exactly how long depends on how much you top it up).

rnicoll on
    edited March 2011
    LoneGunman wrote: »
    Thing about hand sanitizers...they don't work for very long:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/58819-hand-sanitizers-kill-bacteria/

Best practices are the ones that aren't intended to spike corporate sales. :winky:

Also, don't mock people in surgical masks. Irrespective of whether the user has got the whole idea backwards, they're primarily effective at stopping the wearer from spreading rather than catching anything.

rnicoll on
    edited March 2011
    The only issue I had at PAX was getting access to the internet.
    As a foreigner without a US phone number I wasn't going to be using my data roaming as that would have bankrupted me immediately.
    Some kind of Wi-Fi or internet stations (with short time limits) for use would have been perfect for me to keep in touch with people and check my twitter.

Otherwise I had an amazing time at PAX.
    Thanks to everyone that worked so hard on making an amazing event :D

One of the things that really impressed about PAX East this year was that the convention center more or less managed to provide Internet access to us all. Sure, it was not exactly a smooth experience at times, but with 60,000 geeks trashing their wireless they did a damn good job.

Unfortunately, providing wireless to that many people is not something you can just drop a few base-stations around and do :(

rnicoll on
  • ThatGuyGregThatGuyGreg [E] - Satellite Theater Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    rnicoll wrote: »
    One of the things that really impressed about PAX East this year was that the convention center more or less managed to provide Internet access to us all. Sure, it was not exactly a smooth experience at times, but with 60,000 geeks trashing their wireless they did a damn good job.

I think it definitely helped that the 3G coverage was rock solid all weekend (at least for me on AT&T) - probably had fewer people trying to use the WiFi connection; I know I didn't bother. I've heard that Prime has significantly less coverage - I guess I'll find out this summer!

ThatGuyGreg on
    I00SuxJ.png
  • JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last year at Prime The Dead Gentlemen showed a few episodes from their new web-series... any chance PA could bring them back to show The Gamers: Dorkness Rising? I love that movie and it seems like it should be required viewing for any D&D fan...

JobiwanKenobi on

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not sure what the deal was with the line-up for the concerts starting at 4pm, but I must protest this. There are those of us who will be in the front for the concerts no matter what. However, we have also paid significant amounts of money outside of ticket prices to attend PAX. We were very displeased with having to sacrifice an hour of fun both Friday and Saturday. The 5 o'clock concert lineup at PAX 2010 at the Benaroya seemed to work out all right. This year, though, I got to lose two precious hours of PAX to the front of the line. True, no one is keeping us there, but the fact remains that we will be there as soon as the line starts. We were not happy with this.
    Additionally, the 4:00pm start time for the line-up was not enforced. The line-up seemed to start as soon as 3:30 or 3:35 on Saturday. Not cool.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bring Anamanaguchi back and put them in a venue with open floors not this chairs from wall to wall business.

The_Reflection on
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bring Anamanaguchi back and put them in a venue with open floors not this chairs from wall to wall business.

You're beating a dead horse dude. You manage to pull such a venue that's close enough, big enough and will deal with how PAX works out of the aether and I'm sure Khoo will be happy to talk with them; he's already exhausted existing options.

Steel Fire on
    edited March 2011
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    You're beating a dead horse dude. You manage to pull such a venue that's close enough, big enough and will deal with how PAX works out of the aether and I'm sure Khoo will be happy to talk with them; he's already exhausted existing options.

By this point, the horse is not just dead, it is horse puree.

rnicoll on
    edited March 2011
    Serious suggestion, for once in my life...

Could we have a photography area? Somewhere with bright lighting and neutral backgrounds? Both as a good place to get clear photos, and for cosplayers & photographers to find each other. I'm aware cosplayers like to be stopped while wandering around, and I would not want this to replace such, but it would be nice to have somewhere well suited to photography...

rnicoll on
  • lindethierlindethier Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    whypick1 wrote: »
    2.) I got up early in the morning to be one of the first few in line on Saturday and got let in the same time as 3 other lines spread across the line wait area. I know it minimizes time between line waiting and PAX time but it was still frustrating....

I agree with this. My friends and I got up very early on Sunday, getting a spot right in the front of the line. It was a little annoying to see that people were able to show up an hour or two after us and be at the front of one of the other lines. I understand why it was done, but we were still really unhappy to learn that there was no point in getting up hours before everyone else to wait in line.

That and bring back Anamanaguchi!

lindethier on
    1386815.png
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Could we have a photography area? Somewhere with bright lighting and neutral backgrounds? Both as a good place to get clear photos, and for cosplayers & photographers to find each other. I'm aware cosplayers like to be stopped while wandering around, and I would not want this to replace such, but it would be nice to have somewhere well suited to photography...

I really like this idea.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • LodestoneLodestone Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    In addition to the lighting, the photography area could have an oversized augmented reality card or several. Throw in some oversized Gabe & Tycho (or game character) statues. Maybe Nintendo or other game companies could even sponsor it.

You can see what I'm getting at in this video from Ars Technica, though the 2D video doesn't represent the 3D results well I guess.

Lodestone on
  • LodestoneLodestone Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    In the addition to brighter lighting and having a photography area, could also have enlarged augmented reality cards there. Add in some Gabe & Tycho (or game character statues) and it would be trippy. Nintendo and/or other game companies could even sponsor it.

You can see what I mean in this video, though the 2D video doesn't quite capture 3D effects.

Lodestone on
  • pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This will be my third year going to PAX prime but my first actually bringing my PC. I would love to get a dialogue about possible PC tourney games, that will hopefully catch the eye of someone important.
    My suggestions: World of Tanks, UT3 or 2004, Brink (if it isn't pushed back from May), Battlefield 2, and I don't even have to say it but TF2

pillarofdawn on
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My bad pax man didn't realize there was a suggestion thread already

pillarofdawn on
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This will be my third year going to PAX prime but my first actually bringing my PC. I would love to get a dialogue about possible PC tourney games, that will hopefully catch the eye of someone important.
    My suggestions: World of Tanks, UT3 or 2004, Brink (if it isn't pushed back from May), Battlefield 2, and I don't even have to say it but TF2

in the next month or so, a BYOC FAQ post will go up. In there you can discuss with BigRed what byoc tournaments there will be, however, be warned that it's unlike any concrete info about said tournaments will be released until a couple weeks before the event.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    frobear wrote: »
    3. Monitor the lines more closely for the aforementioned shenanigans. There are too many fucks not being given these days by people touting Wheaton's Law but not exemplifying it. I'm sure it's not easy to control this but when I'm in a line that snakes around the room and I see some silly goose duck under the rope to jump ahead of 300-odd people that have been waiting for almost an hour... :evil:

That's when you go fucking Terry Tate on their ass. I mean, I don't normally encourage tackling people and celebrating but expecting someone else to step up and right wrongs like line cutting is just asking for more line cutting to take place. Also, that shit would get around.

mrt144 on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    1.) Cosplay contest for sure.
    2.) I got up early in the morning to be one of the first few in line on Saturday and got let in the same time as 3 other lines spread across the line wait area. I know it minimizes time between line waiting and PAX time but it was still frustrating.
    3.) A central info screen displaying current PAX events like panels and such. Cash allowing of course.
    4.) Some sort of storage room would be cool to drop off swag after the main exhibition has closed and I wanna go do things but I'm overencumbered and can't travel to where I wanna go as easily.
    5.) Something for PAX veterans like, I've been since '08, I LOVE PAX, and there are people who have been going to it way before me, like a pin or shirt or something like 5 year veteran or 3 year veteran, i dunno.

On point 4.

I work in the office tower attached to the convention center. In a perfect world I'd be charging you two bucks for access to my floor to store stuff.

mrt144 on
  • KylechanKylechan Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Oh would you just relax. Duke nukem was showing girl on girl kissing and stripping in there game preview. Sex is a huge part of video games. If you don't want your kid around it then stay home.

Kylechan on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jonxp wrote: »

I really like this idea.

There's really not any place that isn't already being used up, but may I suggest the patio on the 4th floor (I think?) or the first floor near the short stairs?

mrt144 wrote: »
    3. Monitor the lines more closely for the aforementioned shenanigans. There are too many fucks not being given these days by people touting Wheaton's Law but not exemplifying it. I'm sure it's not easy to control this but when I'm in a line that snakes around the room and I see some silly goose duck under the rope to jump ahead of 300-odd people that have been waiting for almost an hour... :evil:

That's when you go fucking Terry Tate on their ass. I mean, I don't normally encourage tackling people and celebrating but expecting someone else to step up and right wrongs like line cutting is just asking for more line cutting to take place. Also, that shit would get around.

Some of those people (heck, probably the majority) are rejoining the line after using the bathroom or any other issue that could pop up in a 2 hour stint.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited March 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Some of those people (heck, probably the majority) are rejoining the line after using the bathroom or any other issue that could pop up in a 2 hour stint.

I was going to say, I'd seen that a lot of cases where people needed to hop out of the line for a bit. I think it's unrealistic for it to be expected for this not to happen, although I'm aware it's unfortunate for anyone without a group to hold a space for them.

rnicoll on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I was going to say, I'd seen that a lot of cases where people needed to hop out of the line for a bit. I think it's unrealistic for it to be expected for this not to happen, although I'm aware it's unfortunate for anyone without a group to hold a space for them.

I've held space in line for strangers before, and they've held it for me. It's PAX. Just ask, most peeps are cool.

Houn on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's PAX - I've just asked the people around me to hold my space, even though I've never met them before. Never had any issue with that, even if I wasn't in a group.

Heleor on
  • cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kylechan wrote: »
    Oh would you just relax. Duke nukem was showing girl on girl kissing and stripping in there game preview. Sex is a huge part of video games. If you don't want your kid around it then stay home.

First, you had to be 18 to get into that preview. They weren't showing it to kids.

Second, ~assuming~ you are talking to the people against booth babes and such, I believe Moe has put that topic to rest, because it's been argued (from both sides) to death. Please adhere to this request, lest the poor forums become an endless battle ground of the same arguments worded differently over and over again.

cynthetic on
  • GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »

That was me on more than one occasion and I sure hope no one thought I was jumping the line, I'd feel horrible if they did. I was the one that usually ran to grab food and drinks while we were waiting, shared with those around us on more than one occasion too!

The only time I had a serious problem in line was when the group next to us started closing in on what little personal space I had. I ended up with one of them half in my lap and lets just say he was a bit gassy. I'm a mom, I can handle just about anything thrown at me, but stranger farts in my lap pushed it! That and those darn camera guys knocking over poles in line for the Saturday concert at Prime, so loud! :winky:

GeekyPrincess on
    Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • TeknoMonkeyTeknoMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't know if this has been suggested in the past, but how about a space for Ping Pong/Ping Pong Tournament? I remember watching PA TV Season 1 and remembered the Ping Pong episode as one of those that interested me. So in the interest of learning a new game/sport at PAX, provide a space where people could learn to play or at least play a exhibition match with friends. And if there was a tournament or some sort of exhibition match, with the PA folks vs. game industry folks, for charity or for other things, that would be cool too. Thoughts?

TeknoMonkey on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Ping Pong has been suggested many times and for better or worse shot down an equal number of times.

zerzhul on
  • PsyphrisPsyphris Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Is there a place to suggest ideas for bands we would like to see? I would love to see Random perform his Black Materia album that just came up, that would be awesome.

Psyphris on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PAX needs a basket of kittens.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    lol, im imagining blood everywhere

disabledgamerj2 on
  • ReKillReKill Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Line management seemed to be a major issue in the Queue room at PAX East, not so much them lining up, but when the gates were released. There was a strict "No Running" policy in place by the enforcers, but as soon as they cut the tape, people went into a dead sprint. Most of these were headed to the Star Wars booth, which is what I also was headed for. I am very capable of running, but I chose to be an adult and obey the rules; not to mention I was laughing too hard at everyone else almost having a heart attack trying to run at their maximum. Mind you, my rage stems from the fact that a friend and myself were the first people at the door every day of the event(5am), for the specific goal to get into the Star Wars booth quickly so we could enjoy the rest of the event for the day. However, at the front of the line in the Queue room, we are passed by idiots sprinting for their lives, resulting in a 2 hour wait at the booth. My single rage issue is not the problem though, the dangers from that amount of people running range from trampling to someone having a heart attack(We could have the PAX official A.E.D. just in case)

So I suggest some sort of fix to this running issue. I don't care if it is booth specific pre-queues, or enforcers with baseball bats and stun-guns, I just would like a stop to the nerd stampede.

ReKill on
  • Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ReKill wrote: »
    Line management seemed to be a major issue in the Queue room at PAX East, not so much them lining up, but when the gates were released. There was a strict "No Running" policy in place by the enforcers, but as soon as they cut the tape, people went into a dead sprint. Most of these were headed to the Star Wars booth, which is what I also was headed for. I am very capable of running, but I chose to be an adult and obey the rules; not to mention I was laughing too hard at everyone else almost having a heart attack trying to run at their maximum. Mind you, my rage stems from the fact that a friend and myself were the first people at the door every day of the event(5am), for the specific goal to get into the Star Wars booth quickly so we could enjoy the rest of the event for the day. However, at the front of the line in the Queue room, we are passed by idiots sprinting for their lives, resulting in a 2 hour wait at the booth. My single rage issue is not the problem though, the dangers from that amount of people running range from trampling to someone having a heart attack(We could have the PAX official A.E.D. just in case)

So I suggest some sort of fix to this running issue. I don't care if it is booth specific pre-queues, or enforcers with baseball bats and stun-guns, I just would like a stop to the nerd stampede.
    One possible solution would be admitting small groups of people at a time (say, around 100) and waiting until that group gets sufficiently far into the expo hall (give them about 20 seconds) before admitting another. Yes, this would slow down the admission process, but it would reduce or at least mitigate the effects of stampeding. I think they do this at Tokyo Game Show, and while it meant I stood outside in 90 degree weather for another 50 minutes (I imagine it'd be significantly less at PAX), I still appreciated that I was not crushed by a wall of Japanese gamers.

I think this would make it a lot easier on the Enforcers, too: my friends who worked morning Expo last year said they pretty much had to go to Duke Nukem and Portal 2 every morning and prepare to push people into an orderly line, because those booths turned to shit immediately. If people arrive more slowly, it'd be easier to organize people into a line that doesn't clog up walkways etc.

Lynx_ on
  • BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    From what I can remember, stampeding wasn't much of a problem at PAX Prime. The in-line entertainment was great and everyone was friendly and calm enough to speed walk. Then again it just takes one person to provoke a stampede.

BLaZuRE on
    PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    More Acquisitions Inc Live D&D would be stellar. That was a blast last year, hope they do it again.

AltDelete on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Now that registration has launched, I'm pretty confident in saying it's too late to make suggestions for PAX Prime of this year. If you have suggestions for PAX East, that thread is still up in the stickies, otherwise a new PAX Prime suggestions thread will come back around in September.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.