As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Saints Row: The Third - Awesome Button, Autotune Pimp, Mocap'd Sombreros!

• IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There are plenty of unlocks that will help as well. One of the Fuzz activities has an unlock that drastically increases the rate that you lose notoriety. Also, once you gain hoods, your gang members will take most of the heat from police. Police are also less likely to aggro you when witnessing crime if you are in a neighborhood you own. You'll also eventually unlock 3 homie slots so you can recruit gang members to come with you.

You can also start any mission, activity, or diversion, and then cancel by pressing down twice. This includes things like the ambulance diversion and the taxi diversion. This will clear all notoriety.

IdolNinja on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    There are plenty of unlocks that will help as well. One of the Fuzz activities has an unlock that drastically increases the rate that you lose notoriety. Also, once you gain hoods, your gang members will take most of the heat from police. Police are also less likely to aggro you when witnessing crime if you are in a neighborhood you own. You'll also eventually unlock 3 homie slots so you can recruit gang members to come with you.

You can also start any mission, activity, or diversion, and then cancel by pressing down twice. This includes things like the ambulance diversion and the taxi diversion. This will clear all notoriety.

Ok this helps more than anything else, thank you.

Definitely doing the fuzz missions next time I load up the game.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited March 2011
    The police notoriety unlock is for completing level 6 of the Suburbs Fuzz activity. Each activity has 2 locations with 6 levels each, and you get an unlock for completing level 3, and another one again at level 6. For example:
    FUZZ
    Projects Level 3: Kobra Pistol
    Projects Level 6: Infinite Pistol Ammo
    Suburbs Level 3: Police Outfit
    Suburbs Level 6: Police notoriety reduced at a faster rate 15%

IdolNinja on
  • RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Just remember that their are two different fuzz missions. One up on the northern half of the city will give you notoriety reduction. The one located by your hide out will give you the Kobra with unlimited ammo.

I don't suppose I could get a invite to the steam group. Every time I want to do a co-op mission their either using cheats or I'm kicked.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey Idol, how do I make those super-skinny/fat players with the creator? Do I need the optional mod pack?

DietarySupplement on
    edited March 2011
    Hey Idol, how do I make those super-skinny/fat players with the creator? Do I need the optional mod pack?

Yeah, just grab the last one I linked. It's all extremely alpha, and I mainly linked it for people to check out rather than using it seriously with game progression. Just be careful you don't overwrite your current save (save in a new slot just in case you have to revert back.) I also don't know for certain if some of those mods will work in coop if the other player doesn't have the same ones.

I would also appreciate any feedback/bugs if you come across anything. :)

EDIT:
    This one:
    http://finalack.com/Idol/sr2/test/test_optional_mod_installer_v1.9_beta11_wip_villain_homies.rar

IdolNinja on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

If police are really bothering you then take off all your clothes.

No seriously. If you are naked you can activate the streaking side mission at any time which when canceled sets your gang and police notoriety to 0 just like all the other missions.

Course you can exploit this by robbing stores and immediately streaking away.

No one ever expects the naked person.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shoot. I'm gonna have to work on getting that infinite pistol ammo. It would certainly help me with the guns akimbo style I'm going for.

Same with shotguns, since I'm currently using 2 double barreled shotguns.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Now I need to go with nothing but a red hat of some sort and a cross necklace.

Nobody expects the naked inquisition.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
    edited March 2011
    Klash wrote: »

Then again they probably do suspect the naked person but judging from most of the characters in the thread they just don't want to touch something naked with a face like that...

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited March 2011
    I loaded up SR2 and well, would ya know it? It seems last time I saved, I saved naked. Standing in front of the Ultor building.

Naturally, I decided to turn on streaking and ran my way to the mall, where I found out Idol added melee weapons which no one talks about.

There I was, a purple mohawked, glittery, naked, tattooed man with a pirate hook, taking hostages in an underground mall. Story of my life, really.

Klash on
    edited March 2011
    There I was, a purple mohawked, glittery, naked, tattooed man with a pirate hook, taking hostages in an underground mall. Story of my life, really.

That should be a quote on the back of the SR3 box. <3

IdolNinja on
    edited March 2011
    There I was ... naked
    Didn't know you were from Morrowind. :wink:

But honestly, that is awesome, and should be on the back of SR3.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
    edited March 2011
    If nakedness is anything less than a feature in SR3, I'm not touching it.

The game. Not touching the game.

Klash on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Had a flick through the latest Gameinformer today, and noticed a character wearing a newsboy cap. I hope that's wearable by the player.

I really like newsboy caps.

Edit: Also very anxious to see what the PC version is like.

Suriko on
    edited March 2011
    If nakedness is anything less than a feature in SR3, I'm not touching it.

The game. Not touching the game.

Best disclaimer.

IdolNinja on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

That actually brings up a good point.

Do we have a pope hat, Idol? We should have a pope hat.

Sir Carcass on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Idol, what is the latest version that works with the 360 button thingy?
    and what I'd be missing with it?

And how much more awesome can you and your mod get?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I can answer that.

So awesome

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2011

Live on the edge and grab the test build with the optional mod installer I linked yesterday!
    http://finalack.com/Idol/sr2/test/test_optional_mod_installer_v1.9_beta11_wip_villain_homies.rar

It has menu options to build your own patch with the 360 buttons, and all sorts of other neat stuff to include if you want.

EDIT: I should also note that if you just use P to build the patch without any changes, it builds the up to date current standard kbam version.

IdolNinja on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Live on the edge and grab the test build with the optional mod installer I linked yesterday!

It has menu options to build your own patch with the 360 buttons, and all sorts of other neat stuff to include if you want.

Idol, let me break this post into two parts. First, major props: I REALLY liked that you made the installer for the custom patch. I know it's just a batch file but I like being able to pick and choose the parts. Your attention to detail is amazing.

And now, for the second part: a challenge! I downloaded the optional mod tools last night and just played around with created people in the jailbreak mission. I really liked how funny it makes the characters, but let me ask you this: right now, the body sliders are "porportiante;" meaning you can take the body shape slider and put it only so far in each direction to where it maintains a body shape between male and female; same for muscle and fatness. Is it possible to create sliders for SEPERATE sections of the character? Say, for example I wanted a character with super skinny legs and super-massive upper body? Or a super skinny girl with a massive rack? Or even the ability to make just ONE massive arm, and one tiny arm?

I would call him "The Stroker," a man who took care of himself so much that he developed freakish strength in just one arm.

Oh and and another thing: is there a way to unlock more character creation options? I saw some screen shots once of people with devil horns and stuff. Does that happen during the game or something? Also, does your mod open up cheats? I couldn't find them...

DietarySupplement on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I would call him "The Stroker," a man who took care of himself so much that he developed freakish strength in just one arm.

And thus, a hero was born.

Mr Pink on
    edited March 2011
    Glad you're digging it. It really opened up a lot of options that I could never figure out a way to include, plus making one build for everything is a lot easier to manager.

The slider modding stuff is still very much in its infancy. Sliders for separate parts is definitely something I would like to do if possible.

No extra character creation options unlock during the game progression. The devil horns are on sale at Let's Pretend at the mall.

Cheats you have to manually dial into your phone to add to the cheat menu. There is a text file included with the mod that lists them all. Just make sure not to save your game after activating them or it will flag your save. This will lock out some statistic based unlocks, and also make coop players grumpy because it will infect their saves if you join their game.

To clarify, it's perfectly ok to dial the numbers and add them to your cheats menu. This does not flag your save. It's activating them from the cheat menu that flags your current session. They are something best used just after your manually save your game. i.e. Save your game, activate a bunch of cheats, go nuts, exit without saving.

EDIT:
    Or just install the optional open files that turn off cheat flagging and reduce the cost of everything to $1 and go crazy, you dirty potential cheater, you. :lol:

IdolNinja on
    edited March 2011
    Glad you're digging it. It really opened up a lot of options that I could never figure out a way to include, plus making one build for everything is a lot easier to manager.

The slider modding stuff is still very much in its infancy. Sliders for separate parts is definitely something I would like to do if possible.

No extra character creation options unlock during the game progression. The devil horns are on sale at Let's Pretend at the mall.

Cheats you have to manually dial into your phone to add to the cheat menu. There is a text file included with the mod that lists them all. Just make sure not to save your game after activating them or it will flag your save. This will lock out some statistic based unlocks, and also make coop players grumpy because it will infect their saves if you join their game.

To clarify, it's perfectly ok to dial the numbers and add them to your cheats menu. This does not flag your save. It's activating them from the cheat menu that flags your current session. They are something best used just after your manually save your game. i.e. Save your game, activate a bunch of cheats, go nuts, exit without saving.

EDIT:
    Or just install the optional open files that turn off cheat flagging and reduce the cost of everything to $1 and go crazy, you dirty potential cheater, you. :lol:

Nice, I look forward to more developments. Let me know if I can help test the body slider stuff. My fear is that the body stuff is a "ratio" so that the clothes and cars look correct with the character models. But I hope that isn't the case.

DietarySupplement on
    edited March 2011
    New article is up: Another Rise to Power
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/03/23/another-rise-to-power.aspx

saints3city0322-610.jpg
    In just a few short years, the 3rd Street Saints have grown from a small group of thugs to a major commercial force, with endorsement deals and piles of cash large enough to make Scrooge McDuck envious. That’s great news for the gang, but it’s a tricky setup for Saints Row: The Third. What do you do when you’re at the top of your game? The guys at Volition found the solution: get tossed out of a plane. Once you land in Steelport, it’s up to you to take over the all-new city from scratch.

“When you first get to Steelport, you immediately realize that the Syndicate has locked out all of your cash and that the Saints aren’t around you,” says the game’s lead designer, Scott Phillips. “It’s just you and Shaundi, essentially stuck on your own.”

Backup is only a phone call away, though. The player calls home and gets in touch with Saints lieutenant Pierce, who says he’ll mobilize as many Saints as he can and head to Steelport. Around the same time, Shaundi has a great idea on where the Saints can score some weapons—the National Guard armory. After that mission, Pierce, Shaundi, and the player put their heads together and strategize. Pierce and Shaundi have a little background on the Syndicate, and it becomes clear that the criminal collective will have to be eliminated if the Saints have any hopes of gaining traction in town.

First, however, the Steelport Saints are going to have to upgrade their living situation. “Eventually you decide that you need a better base than just some s
    apartment, so you go and attack a Syndicate penthouse, where they’re having a huge party,” says Phillips. That raid provides more than a posh place to crash. Since they were taken by surprise, the Syndicate has left behind documents and other information that provides valuable intel on the group’s inner workings. Now that they have a deeper insight into how they tick, the Saints are better equipped to take them out. That is, they will be once they’re fully resupplied.

Saints Row: The Third continues the series’ basic structure, where players slowly take over a city through various activities, like insurance fraud and tank mayhem. Complete these activities, and you kick gangs out of specific areas. You also earn money, which can be used to purchase business and strongholds. To fully move a gang out of an area, you’ll have to take out their flashpoint zones. “These are areas that the Syndicate will defend with their troops, because they’re key transfer points for their drugs or anything that earns them money; the guns the drugs, the steroids, the parties,” says Phillips. “The Saints come in and kick them out of it, the Saints roll in, and from then on the Saints will show up in that location.”

Those AI accomplices are key parts of the city. Players can recruit them off the street to accompany them during missions and other activities. As the Saints gain more of a foothold in Steelport, they become better equipped to deal with resistance, as well.

The most visible way players can make their mark on the city is through the strongholds system. Don’t think that the penthouse is the only place you’ll be able to call home. There are also skyscrapers and casinos up for grabs, as well as Phillips’ favorite in-game place. “[It’s] kind of a BDSM Playboy Mansion kind of place. If you also think of the movie Taken with Liam Neeson, it’s kind of like that. It’s a little dirty, a little disturbing, but it’s also nice, and there are people hanging out in the grotto.”

Strongholds can be upgraded, and those upgrades directly affect your gang. Phillips says the mansion can be upgraded several times, until it’s basically the biggest building in Steelport. “By upgrading that, your gang will get stronger and the people who spawn out in the street will go from pistols to SMGs to rifles. It’s a modifier for that territory, for the cash that you earn, for the respect that you earn in that area. It’s kind of like creating a ring of power; it just makes everything in that area better and better and better.”

Taking over a city is fun, but it’s also tough to balance. Once you start gaining momentum, games that feature similar mechanics tend to have economies that break down. Phillips says that the team has been keenly aware of that problem, and that they’ve taken steps to make sure things stay interesting. “Even if you do own large parts of the city, we have enough ways for you to spend that cash, so it’s not going to be like Saints Row 2, where cash and respect very quickly lose their usefulness,” he says.

Following a character’s rise to power is a proven storytelling technique, and it’s one that’s served Saints Row well in the past. It’s good to have a change of venue with the third game, and it’s nice to not have to start completely over from scratch. Sure, driving people around might make sense when you’re first starting out, but it doesn’t really work when you’re already running another town. One thing’s for certain: Steelport’s map is going to be saturated in purple before it’s over.

IdolNinja on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sounds good, but WHERE THE HELL IS MY GAT!

LockeCole on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There is physically no way they will not have Johnny Gat in this game. If they haven't mentioned him, it's only because they don't want to spoil that his entrance is him surfing into Steelport on a nuclear bomb full of poop.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited March 2011
    He's coming to town riding a Noop, and he's gonna paint the town brown.

Releasing Gat in SR2 was tons of fun. Despite being one of the very first things you do, it was just great to bust in and be all nonchalant about things.

Klash on
    edited March 2011
    Scrooge McDuck.
    I for one, now wish I could play Saints row 2 as Scrooge Mcduck.

I hope this will be an option in Saints row 3.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you know what i like?

i like that SR3 basically decides not to fuck you over in terms of progression and such. you don't die, lose your powerups, wind up spaced and regrown from cloned tissue, or even get taken down a notch.

they don't take stilwater away from you like SR1 to SR2.

no. there are no valleys. there are only higher mountains ahead. THAT is what game progression should be. enough with arbitrary setbacks. make me powerful in game 1. leave me powerful in game 2, and give me a challenge worthy of my strength.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited March 2011
    But...what about when the NEXT one comes around...by then, the only thing to challenge you would be something like...Godzi.....

Actually, that would be the greatest premise for SR4. Godzilla is wrecking up your town, so you go shoot him to death. With a nuclear flamingo, of course.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    heenato wrote: »
    But...what about when the NEXT one comes around...by then, the only thing to challenge you would be something like...Godzi.....

Actually, that would be the greatest premise for SR4. Godzilla is wrecking up your town, so you go shoot him to death. With a nuclear flamingo, of course.

The big question, in my mind, is whether Steelport is a fully surrounded island like Stillwater was. If it's connected to land, the solution is simple: You start pushing deep into another town the way you know best, with a few loyal crewmembers against an army. Start you off with the ability to call in a homey with a nice vehicle and/or guns, and just work from there.

yalborap on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i keep BEGGING idol to release that "giant movie monsters" mod

but he keeps saying it doesn't work right :(

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited March 2011
    Well since this one is probably going to end with you in control of an international criminal empire, time to start taking over other countries next!

Who was Female Voice 1 in SR1 anyway? That was my favorite voice.

LockeCole on
    edited March 2011

I was actually working with InnocentSam on something like this about a year ago for the Hitman target mod:
    main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=SR2_pics_misc%2Fmod_pics_misc%2FMaerozilla2.jpg

It has some buggy issues that I'm trying to address. Basically my goal now is for the player fight Maerozilla in a Torando attack heli at the end of the new custom mission I'm working on. I'm also desperately awaiting the new xwb packer tool being worked on so I can give him godzilla's signature roar whenever he opens his mouth.

IdolNinja on
    edited March 2011
    yalborap wrote: »

The big question, in my mind, is whether Steelport is a fully surrounded island like Stillwater was. If it's connected to land, the solution is simple: You start pushing deep into another town the way you know best, with a few loyal crewmembers against an army. Start you off with the ability to call in a homey with a nice vehicle and/or guns, and just work from there.

Yeah I am all for going to new cities while getting support from the last places you were at. It's a great idea that makes you feel good for completing the previous games with out rehashing old places over and over.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited March 2011
    Probably will be another island city just because it looks a lot less stupid than an invisible wall Might be able to pull it off with mountains on one or two sides instead of water I guess.

LockeCole on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You kinda DO lose everything. But not really. it's funny

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2011
    Made 9 new optional gang types for the optional mod installer bringing the total to 15: :D

optionalgangairlines.jpg
    optionalgangbarbershop.jpg
    optionalgangbiker.jpg
    optionalgangbrotherhood.jpg
    optionalgangbum.jpg
    optionalgangcheerleader.jpg
    optionalgangelderly.jpg
    optionalganggoth.jpg
    optionalganglaw.jpg
    optionalgangmedical.jpg
    optionalgangmime.jpg
    optionalgangronin.jpg