Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

It's That Time Again

KetBraKetBra hiRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Social Entropy++
It's time for another

Canadian Election!

So, all Opposition parties have declared their lack of faith in the current government, and it looks like there will be a non-confidence vote called by the Liberals on Friday when they have control of the schedule of the House of Commons.

So, who are the players in this election?

First, the head of government, the guy that has to actually call the election:

Governor General David Johnston
Spoiler:
He's the guy that's technically in charge of anything but is really just a figurehead. I guess he also likes dressing up.

Then there's our current Prime Minister, and Leader of the Conservative Party:

Stephen Harper
Spoiler:
He's the guy currently fighting for his job. I guess he also likes leather.

Then there's the current Leader of the Official Opposition, as well as Leader of the Liberal Party:

Michael Ignatieff
Spoiler:
He wants Stephen Harper's job. I guess he also likes cheese.

Next up is the leader of the New Democratic Part:

Jack Layton
Spoiler:
The man with the magical moustache. I guess he also likes Star Trek.

Moving onto Quebec, we have the Leader of the Bloc Quebecois:

Gilles Duceppe
Spoiler:
He likes Quebec! He's a big scary separatist! I guess he also likes fish.

Finally, we have the Leader of the Green Party:

Elizabeth May
Spoiler:
She just wants to get elected! I guess she also likes...uh...looking scary.

As for issues, we have: the purchase of F-35's

the regular old economy stuff

as well as a whole swack of ethical issues!

So, Canadian SE++ers, what are your thoughts on the election? Which parties do you like? Which do you hate?

Are you curious about how we elect our House of Commons?
Here it is!

Do you like yelling? This guy does!
70f7dca848c588f298d0246c1e63.jpg

KetBra on
zuydt75.jpg?2
«1

Posts

  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I support moose party

    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh Canada still has government officials. I was unaware

    sig1.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Woah

    angry guy is angry

  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    goddamn when I went up there I didn't see as many ugly canadians as you have just posted

  • WietWiet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Canada had the Rhinoceros Party right? Are those guys still alive? They were great.

    XStly.jpg
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wiet wrote: »
    Canada had the Rhinoceros Party right? Are those guys still alive? They were great.

    Your new av/sig is nice!

    liiyasig_zpsd04b684c.jpg
    Sticks wrote: »
    "I know I can do it." Liiya said, placing another flower in the arrangement. "I'm sure in time their deaths will become a mystery even to me."
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't fuck it up again, assholes.

    tonksigblack.png
  • unintentionalunintentional Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hey this is the first federal election I get to vote in

    i'm out, follow me on twitter @uninten , steam is GaryMyNemesis
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Based on those pictures Jack Layton seems like the only choice that won't end in Canada being renamed New Hell.

    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Liiya wrote: »
    Wiet wrote: »
    Canada had the Rhinoceros Party right? Are those guys still alive? They were great.

    Your new av/sig is nice!

    I was just thinking that

  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've fallen out of touch with Canadian politics... Harper can't prorogue parliament this time?

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    4 more years of the best government canada has ever had!!!

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Woah

    angry guy is angry

    Clearly you are a dragon who knows his politics.

  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User
    edited March 2011
    ten bucks on 'nothing changes'

    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sassori wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Woah

    angry guy is angry

    Clearly you are a dragon who knows his politics.

    I am not too up ins with Canadian politics, I admit

    You humans have so many governments, urgh, it gets tiring

    That is why I intend to read this thread closely!

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    stephen harper is disturbing

    he doesn't look human
    more like something that is making a poor attempt at it

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • unintentionalunintentional Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    ten bucks on 'nothing changes'

    but it's gonna be expensive!!

    i'm out, follow me on twitter @uninten , steam is GaryMyNemesis
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I used to know a girl who was very active in the Quebec Separatist party. Those were some interesting times

    sig1.jpg
  • BrogeyBrogey Aca-awesome! Santa Monica, CASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    GO REDWINGS! :o

    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom
    PSN: Bogestrom

    R.I.P. Wampa Milk
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    4 more years of the best government canada has ever had!!!
    oh pip!

    tonksigblack.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Callius wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    4 more years of the best government canada has ever had!!!
    oh pip!

    :3~

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What are the Quebec separatists like?

    Are they anything like the crazy secessionists we have down here in the states, but French?

    penguins.png
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    :3~
    Make my knee stop hurting.

    tonksigblack.png
  • KetBraKetBra hiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What are the Quebec separatists like?

    Are they anything like the crazy secessionists we have down here in the states, but French?

    They're actually probably more popular than secessionists in the states. We've had a couple of referenda on Quebec separating and last time, the "no" side only won by like 1%! Some separatists also kidnapped and murdered some important diplomats and ministers in the 60's, but things ain't that bad anymore.

    zuydt75.jpg?2
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As long as the French Canadians don't win, we all win.

  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wonder what secession would mean for the Quebec economy.

    tonksigblack.png
  • unintentionalunintentional Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    every time we learned about the october crisis in history class my reaction was along the lines of "wait what the fuck? This is a real thing that happened and not a bad movie plot?"

    i'm out, follow me on twitter @uninten , steam is GaryMyNemesis
  • KetBraKetBra hiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    every time we learned about the october crisis in history class my reaction was along the lines of "wait what the fuck? This is a real thing that happened and not a bad movie plot?"

    Complete with bad one liners.

    "How far will go you, Mr Prime Minister?"

    "Just watch me."

    zuydt75.jpg?2
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Callius wrote: »
    I wonder what secession would mean for the Quebec economy.

    it'd probably be Bad Times all around considering the maritime provinces would be cut off from the rest of the country
    and the prairies might start getting uppity

    and everyone would have to design new packaging for everything

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • unintentionalunintentional Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Callius wrote: »
    I wonder what secession would mean for the Quebec economy.

    it'd probably be Bad Times all around considering the maritime provinces would be cut off from the rest of the country
    and the prairies might start getting uppity

    and everyone would have to design new packaging for everything

    "Le grille? what the hell is that?!"

    i'm out, follow me on twitter @uninten , steam is GaryMyNemesis
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Callius wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    :3~
    Make my knee stop hurting.

    did you put it in your butt yet?

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • WietWiet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Wiet wrote: »
    Canada had the Rhinoceros Party right? Are those guys still alive? They were great.

    Your new av/sig is nice!

    I was just thinking that

    Aww, thanks you two.

    XStly.jpg
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    did you put it in your butt yet?
    No.

    But I did try peeing in your butt. It was pretty decent, would pee again.

    tonksigblack.png
  • FearghaillFearghaill Midgard I hear some secret agents only get cars.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Woah

    angry guy is angry

    Clearly you are a dragon who knows his politics.

    I am not too up ins with Canadian politics, I admit

    You humans have so many governments, urgh, it gets tiring

    That is why I intend to read this thread closely!

    Canadian government is basically the British government with a 5-6 year head start and some of the names changed around.

    A handy translation guide (British > Canadian):

    Conservative > Conservative

    Labour > Liberals

    Liberal Democrat > New Democrat

    Scottish Nationals > Bloc Quebecois

    All those other little parties with 1 or 2 seats > the Green Party's wildest dreams


    But otherwise it's basically the same. Hung Parliament with the Conservatives as the largest party. We've had no formal alliance the way the Tories and Lib Dems did in the UK though, the Tories here just try to pretend like they have a majority and the other parties mostly let them get away with it because most people don't want another election.

    lokisigtrustme.png
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    it'd probably be Bad Times all around considering the maritime provinces would be cut off from the rest of the country
    and the prairies might start getting uppity

    and everyone would have to design new packaging for everything
    To be fair, fuck Manitoba. I almost got shivved by some neo-nazis in a bathroom there.

    tonksigblack.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Woah

    angry guy is angry

    Clearly you are a dragon who knows his politics.

    I am not too up ins with Canadian politics, I admit

    You humans have so many governments, urgh, it gets tiring

    That is why I intend to read this thread closely!

    Canadian government is basically the British government with a 5-6 year head start and some of the names changed around.

    A handy translation guide (British > Canadian):

    Conservative > Conservative

    Labour > Liberals

    Liberal Democrat > New Democrat

    Scottish Nationals > Bloc Quebecois

    All those other little parties with 1 or 2 seats > the Green Party's wildest dreams


    But otherwise it's basically the same. Hung Parliament with the Conservatives as the largest party. We've had no formal alliance the way the Tories and Lib Dems did in the UK though, the Tories here just try to pretend like they have a majority and the other parties mostly let them get away with it because most people don't want another election.

    That helps! Thanks!

  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What are the Quebec separatists like?

    Are they anything like the crazy secessionists we have down here in the states, but French?

    Nope. Just a little xenophobic and with a persecution syndrome.

    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So all other things being equal, I will vote for Layton's mustache.

    Your move, Harper.

    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.