As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fantasy MLB slowdraft: Results are live, make sure your teams are right

1131415161719»

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    just finished a draft in another league, anybody have any thoughts? i can take criticism - i know i probably took zobie a little early. i just wanted a good power/speed combo at 2b and after him it was lookin miighty slim. would've taken raburn but he didn't have 2b eligibility in espn

4. troy tulowitzki
    21. kevin youkilis
    28. shin soo choo
    45. alex rios
    52. victor martinez
    69. kendry morales
    76. jered weaver
    93. francisco liriano
    100. ben zobrist
    117. joe nathan
    124. ted lilly
    141. angel pagan
    148. chris perez
    165. ian stewart
    172. andres torres
    189. ryan dempster
    196. hong chih-kuo
    213. jonny venters
    220. gio gonzalez
    237. kila ka'aihue
    244. evan meek
    261. R.A. dickey
    268. jed lowrie

edit: uh, damn. didn't realize morales' foot setback was THAT serious.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Without knowing exactly how the draft went and who was available when you made each pick and how scoring works and so forth, I just have a few general comments. Rios was probably taken a bit high, though look at ADP he's not that high. But I wouldn't have picked him there. Zobrist was probably a little high, yeah. I would never take that many relievers but if you do then that's cool. You stole Gio Gonzalez with that pick. I wouldn't say you have a ton of upside with that team either.

Schide on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    IMO Tulo at #4 is kinda reaching. I know his ADP is up there but he's streaky and an injury risk

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah, i agree with all that. i don't really like rios, i could've gotten the same player later with victorino (passed on him to take weaver). and about the upside, i didn't realize until now but you're right about that. it's the first time i've done a roto draft, and i think i focused way too much on getting well rounded guys. i probably passed on way too many people like adam dunn, who have big holes in one or two categories. i took a bunch of relievers because at first i went to get a few saves, realized there weren't any left, then decided to just try and reduce my team whip and era by taking good relievers. then had kind of a pressing relationship situation 3/4 of the way through and had to pick a bit more unfocusedly unfortunately

edit: and yeah, tulo is streaky, but in roto i figured it doesn't matter nearly as much. not as long as the stats are there in the end
    edit 2: scoring is standard 5x5

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I drafted Joel Peralta, not Jhonny Peralta.;o)

zeeny on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm kind of confused. How many bench slots do we have on each roster section?

JustinSane07 on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's not specific by section, it's just 5 total divided up however you want.

Schide on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    zeeny wrote: »

fixed

deadonthestreet on
    edited March 2011
    zeeny wrote: »
    fixed

uh, i didnt have ike davis or jj hardy, i had albert pujols and troy tulowitzki. oh, and 2001 pedro martinez, not brian matusz. its okay, they're easy mistakes to make

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tulo at 4 sits fine with me. You're not really going to get production out of SS past him and Hanley, so if you get one of those two you can have numbers from every slot as opposed to a black hole at one of them.

My team's fine. Though looking at how far Arencibia fell, I probably should've backup catcher'd him.

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
    edited March 2011
    Tulo's fine, but I've never liked drafting for position scarcity (which is why I waited until the final round to draft a catcher)

Also, I don't think it's even close to worth it to have a backup catcher in a league where you only start one.

Adrenaline on
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looks like the Mike Minor gamble isn't starting out so well, with him starting in triple AAA. Also Morrow is starting on the DL.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    edited March 2011
    Arencibia is also hitting like .143 for the spring. Welp

Adrenaline on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tulo at 4 is excellent. Biggest steal of the draft will be my Jose Lopez pick. 80-25-100 with .290 baby. GUARANTEED.

zeeny on
    edited March 2011
    i scooped lopez off of waivers to good results 2 years ago, then drafted him last year. after riding him for about 2 months i finally gave up. thank god i had martin prado. i just wonder about his playing time, it seems like they have 50 2b/3b types. hopefully he and ian stew win out, sorry wiggins

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited March 2011
    i know it's only one game but i'm feeling a lot better about taking stanton in the 5th round

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited March 2011
    I'm feeling upset I may be losing out on having Stanton in a keeper league since no one wants to do it this year. :(

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My team has avoided serious injury so far. I'm pretty pleased with that.

Cauld on
    edited March 2011
    let's just make this one a keeper. i drafted alllll young guys anyway

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Oh hell no

Adrenaline on
    edited March 2011
    Adrenaline wrote: »
    Also, I don't think it's even close to worth it to have a backup catcher in a league where you only start one.

You say that, but for each of the past two years I've had my starting catcher go down to injury for a long time. That left me scrambling to find a replacement, battling against smart owners who usually had better waiver position than me. Having to play some third-string minor league call-up catcher, because you don't have a backup, is NOT. FUN.

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

edited March 2011
    Aw yeah. Saltalamacchia slipped through the waiver wire to me.

JustinSane07 on
    edited March 2011
    More pitching problems out the gate as Brad Lidge opens the season on the DL. That makes a grand total of 3 pitchers on the DL, plus one pitcher stuck in AAA. Fine, fine drafting by myself.

When can i expect the yahoo league to display the DL so that i can get another player?

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited March 2011
    Is Lidge officially on the DL, I think the problem is that most teams haven't actually put their players on the DL yet, since the season hasn't started. I wouldn't put it past yahoo to be slow about changing the status though.

Cauld on
    edited April 2011
    I'd feel worse about Pavano putting up a 15.75 ERA outing if i had any chance of winning the pitching stats this week. Justin, how did you manage to land both king felix and Halladay?

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited April 2011
    1st and 2nd round picks. I went pitching heavy on my draft.

JustinSane07 on
    edited April 2011
    Longoria out for approx a week. Somehow I don't see it on yahoo.

Cauld on
    edited April 2011
    yeah, they let me dangle in the wind a few days after matusz and longoria were already placed on the DL. still waiting on stanton... yay baseball

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Holy shit, Brandon Beachy. Nice work.

Also, the Rangers need to stop stomping folks so that Feliz can actually net some saves.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam