As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the first 3/4ths of the review seemed good though

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Impressions from the hour or so I played last night:
    -It's got a slightly tacky feel to it - not bad tacky, the slightly sticky tacky. I don't mind, though, as it will stop me dropping it with my sweaty mitts.

-The 3D effect is very impressive. It took me a few seconds to see, and now I have no problems with it. I have the slider 3/4 of the way up.

-The buttons are clicky! I like clicky buttons :)

-The stylus looks cool - all silver and extend-o-matic.

-3D pictures are nifty. I'm not sure how many I will bother taking, though - it's a good proof of concept, but unless we someday get the opportunity to buy hard copies as those hologram postcard thingies, I can't see it getting much use.

-The Mii maker gave both me and my girlfriend stupid lantern jaws and tiny eyes. I'm not convinced that it's a better way to make Miis. It also didn't recognise my glasses.

-It accepts my wireless signal! One problem with my old DS solved.

-It looks slightly malevolent, what with the dual cameras looking like eyes and everything.

So far the only game I've played on it is Super Mario Brothers, but it works perfectly well for playing DS games - against the black top screen border, the smaller picture is barely noticeable. I guess it might be more jarring going to a DS game after a session playing a 3DS game in all its widescreen glory.

On the whole, worth staying up until midnight and booking today off work :D

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cartridges haven't been seen since the GameBoy? Stylus controls since the mid-90s? A new Nintendo product possibly not selling well?

Holy shit guys, I think JP Mangaliden was just released from cryogenic stasis

Green on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I gots a shiny 3DS

I'm gonna play me some Elite Beat Agents

Jintor on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jesus Christ, this Fortune tech reporter is really hard to take seriously with some of the things he says.

The "hardcore gamers won't mind playing around with this thing" makes it sound like if it was just a bit worse they would hold it in contempt, but as it is they'll deal with it if they absolutely have to. Then he goes on to say in his write up that Street Fighter IV almost looks as good as its HD console counterparts. Well goddamn, I hope that these people won't mind playing games that look almost as good as what they have been playing in their living rooms but in portable form and in 3D. How good do most iPhone games, the thing which the 3DS is apparently no match for, look again? I would wager that there is just a slight difference there not only visually but also in terms of quality, but lets not bother to bring that up while we make a direct comparison between a smart phone which requires a contract and dabbles in games and a stand alone handheld gaming system.

Does one thing and does it pretty well? It does that one thing a hell of a lot better then anything you mentioned and it can also take 3D pictures, play MP3s, and will also eventually feature content from Netflix. You can't download the content and grassroots developers can't develop for it? Does he not know about the downloadable games that are coming at all? That there will be a 3DS shop which will most likely feature a number of games made by smaller developers? I could swear that we saw something like that on another Nintendo product before.

"It relies on cartridges, something that hasn't been seen since the GameBoy pretty much." Sure, if you completely overlook the DS, a system that sold over 100 million units. "It also features a stylus, something we haven't seen since Palm devices in the early 2000s." Right, there has been nothing since then that no one could mention that say, depended on a stylus for interaction and saw several new iterations over time. Surely if such a device existed it must have been before 2000 came along!

I wonder what he would be saying about the 3DS if it was glossy white, had a lower case "i" in its name, and had a light grey Apple icon on it. The guy never even bothers to mention the PSP or that Sony is going to be releasing their own competing handheld later on this year. After trying to solidify his street cred by assuring us that he is teh hardcorz, both in the video and the write up, I thought he would at least bother to acknowledge Sony's presence aside from briefly mentioning the PS3. And what will he say about the NGP, or whatever it ends up being, when he discovers that it also uses cartridges and is yet another product that will not be introduced to us by Steve Jobs?

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    edited March 2011
    Are none of us playing a launch title? Fucking hell, it's like when I got my iPod touch and the first thing I did was find a version of Nethack.
    I would be playing but I didn't put my 3DS in the cradle properly last night so it doesn't have any battery :(

Rhesus Positive on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope someone gets some launch game impressions, so I can figure out what to use this $25 credit on

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Are none of us playing a launch title? Fucking hell, it's like when I got my iPod touch and the first thing I did was find a version of Nethack.
    I would be playing but I didn't put my 3DS in the cradle properly last night so it doesn't have any battery :(

I was playing SSFIV before and I'll boot up some Nintendogs later, but I'm trying to see how small the resolution on my DS Lite is. :D

Jintor on
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Friendcodes guys! I get depressed when I look at my empty friendlist :P

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The buttons are clicky! I like clicky buttons :)
    Thanks for saying this! I forgot to ask or check when I played with one, but this is really important to me. I hated the Lite's mushy buttons.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
    edited March 2011
    I completely overlooked that the European release was today before logging on just a bit ago.

And now suddenly there are a growing number of people on here that have systems and the friend code training is about to start. It seems . . . weird, like the launch has suddenly snuck up even though the wait for this thing has been so long. Very fucking cool though, obviously! I anxiously await all your impressions on just how awesome Street Fighter IV is! Also, if anyone wants to send me their friend codes I can start compiling a list in the OP too.

Rehab on
  • Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mine is being "Dispatched soon"... Hope soon is actually soon...

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
    edited March 2011
    Or if its easier everyone can just edit this with their own information and I can just use the most recently posted edit for everyone to see.
    The Mantiz: 2878 - 9572 - 9277

Rehab on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dammit, my local store never does midnight launches for consoles. Too much money going around in an area that's kinda weak on security.

They open up at 11 Sunday.

Also, they refused to give me one of the units in the back and just run the transaction for my completed preorder the day of. Fuckers.

yalborap on
    edited March 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    Or if its easier everyone can just edit this with their own information and I can just use the most recently posted edit for everyone to see.
    Rhesus Positive: 3523 - 2023 - 9826

Rhesus Positive on
    edited March 2011
    Hah, the 3DS doesn't launch here for another goddamn week. I borrowed the office DS for the weekend, so I'm not gonna go handing that friend code around right now. :P

Jintor on
  • CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just picked mine up. The 3D effect is very impressive. Must have spent about 5 minutes just looking at the rotating car on the Ridge Racer launch screen. Today's going to be a long day at work....

Cullen on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My 3DS has arrived! Unfortunately SSF4 has not. I guess I'll have to do with the built in stuff until it does.
    Peewi: 3480 - 2527 - 9521

Added you two to my friends list.

Peewi on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cullen wrote: »
    Just picked mine up. The 3D effect is very impressive. Must have spent about 5 minutes just looking at the rotating car on the Ridge Racer launch screen. Today's going to be a long day at work....

And now you too know why I made damn sure to request the US release date, and the day after, off.

yalborap on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So jealous.

So so jealous.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What can you do with the friend's code? (Except playing SF4)

Dratatoo on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dratatoo wrote: »

See if they're only and what game they're playing. For example, Mantiz is playing Shadow Wars and Rhesus Positive is playing Face Raiders.

Face Raiders, by the way, is absolutely ridiculous. In a good way.

Peewi on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    According to tracking my 3DS is in transit right now.

I just want it to arrive early so I can take a walk into town with street pass on and try my luck.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited March 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

See if they're only and what game they're playing. For example, Mantiz is playing Shadow Wars and Rhesus Positive is playing Face Raiders.

Hell yes it is - I'd grabbed a photo of Selma Hayek off GIS to use as a face (on the first page of searching for "face"), and as I was swinging round to shoot a floating Hayek-head, it grabbed her face off my screen as a bonus face :shock:

So now I have Big-Jowelled Selma and Blurry Selma in my face library, as well as myself (thought I was a young lady :() and that guy that Yahtzee uses in Zero Punctuation all the time.

Oh, and the best part? Playing it in a swivel chair makes you feel like an anti-aircraft gunner, which I hope is a game that comes out eventually.

Rhesus Positive on
    edited March 2011
    I plan for the office 3DS to be populated, unsurprisingly, by my colleagues

Jintor on
  • JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does adding a Friend to your 3DS roster sends an invite to the other person, or does the FC exchange still has to be "mutual"?

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the second one.

Neurotika on
    edited March 2011
    Jave wrote: »
    Does adding a Friend to your 3DS roster sends an invite to the other person, or does the FC exchange still has to be "mutual"?

No, I just added Peewi and Rhesus, but it appears that Peewi could already se my profile. And I got no invite. So I guess adding someone to your roster, just ads them to your list, even if they havent added you to their list.

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    According to tracking my 3DS is in transit right now.

I just want it to arrive early so I can take a walk into town with street pass on and try my luck.

Zoidberg, we talked about this. You need to stop it with little kids man, it's just not good for you.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited March 2011
    You get a coin every 100 paces, it turns out. I'm up to nine already, and that was just nipping out to the barber and farm shop.

Speaking of which, I need to update my Mii, as the barber took out his frustrations with telemarketers on my hair :?

Rhesus Positive on
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of Miis, you could transfer your Mii from the Wii Mii Plaza to your DS. Can you do the same with the 3DS?

Neurotika on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zoidberg: 1375 - 7188 - 8825

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crumbled and bought it, at launch last night. Got Street Fighter 4, Pilotwings and Pokemon White with it. Ironically, I've mostly played Pokemon. Kind of regret getting SF4, as I've now remembered i already wasn't a fan of it on the consoles. Just got swept up at launch.

I must admit. I have no fucking clue how the 3d works, without the glasses. But I'm impressed. I've had trouble with 3d in the past, mostly at the cinema. But this actually works pretty well for me. I really didn't pick it up, for the 3d though. It was actually more for Pokemon White. I have the original DS, never upgraded to any of the new models. So thought it was a win win, to get pretty new screens for pokemon and also future proof myself for future 3DS games. I'm pretty fanatical about Resident Evil and Metal Gear, so I'm now prepared for Mercenaries, Revelations and Snake Eater 3d.

Still have to stick on Pilotwings actually.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fuckwankballsbuggerybollockscraparse!

‎45 bloody minutes the house was bloody empty! When did the bloody post come, and then leave again still holding on to my bloody 3DS?

Major childish sulk time begins now.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited March 2011
    Fuckwankballsbuggerybollockscraparse!

‎45 bloody minutes the house was bloody empty! When did the bloody post come, and then leave again still holding on to my bloody 3DS?

Major childish sulk time begins now.

Go pick it up!

Neurotika on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's being held hostage in the back of the post van until tomorrow.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

Don't try to use a picture of Chutulu for Face Raiders. It will not end well.

Dratatoo on
    edited March 2011

You have all been added! But I cant seem to find a way to send messages. I'll be sad if there is no way to send messages to each other :?

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Mantiz wrote: »

You have all been added! But I cant seem to find a way to send messages. I'll be sad if there is no way to send messages to each other :?

There isn't yet but I'm pretty sure they said that's something they're working on.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited March 2011
    It also looks like the Mario hat I won in Streetpass Quest only shows up on the Plaza. And after all those coins went towards hiring cats to fight ghosts.

Rhesus Positive on
This discussion has been closed.