As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

• SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's odd, I'll definitely look into it. But it did register you correctly so you should be able to log in just fine. It might be because I'm screwing around with some of the files at the moment. Everything should be buttery smooth very soon. Sorry!

SirUltimos on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SirUltimos if you need some fancy graphics to make it pretty, I can help

mntorankusu on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    Face Raiders is some ridiculous shit
    Peewi wrote: »
    Face Raiders, by the way, is absolutely ridiculous. In a good way.

Heh, there seems to be a consensus forming!

I messed around with a Best Buy demo unit earlier today myself now. So with that I have to agree with a few things that I have seen a lot of other people say 1) the blue color isn't for me but the system itself is very nice, 2) the way the systems are setup isn't quite ideal but it works well enough and 3) holy shit! It really works!

Seriously though, the 3DS effect is damned impressive. Everything said about the experience being similar to looking into a window and seeing a world with depth through that window is completely true. From the one experience I have had seeing the new 3D in theaters, watching Alice in Wonderland, I preferred this sense of depth quite a bit to the "shit coming at you in 3D!" approach. I mean, that can be nice when used sparingly and effectively, I will admit that. But, instantly being able to see very obviously what portions of Wuhu Island are closer, which ones are in the middle ground and past that . . . which parts are very distant and having it all feel very natural is amazing. Suffice to say, I'm very impressed and I wish that I wasn't so damn broke now! I'll get there in time for some karting action or to take the role of Hero of Time again though I'm sure.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All of those Mii QR codes make me wonder: Why didn't Nintendo let you just swap Friend Codes via QR code as well? It would alleviate a large amount of what makes swapping Friend Codes online a pain, and you'd still have to have the mutual handshake to preserve a layer of security.

I'll put my real FC in there once I get my system (don't know when, haven't gotten tracking number yet but it won't be until Wednesday at the earliest). And who registered as "False Lunker" on SirUltimos's site? :rotate:

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Okay dudes, I have the site set up.

http://www.sirultimos.com/3ds

Right now you can't click anyone's name to email them, but I'll finish that up tonight. And make it prettier. Feel free to add all your friend codes and regions (I'm gonna have it so you can sort by region).

Throwing this in the OP right now, just so you know.

Good job with that too, looks very nice.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    edited March 2011
    Also, Friend of the Forums and overall cool bro inthegray posted a compelling argument for Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, aka the secret best 3DS launch game. A lot of great specific details, including that the 3D effect ends up giving the strategy-RPG title a really cool-sounding "living board game" effect.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, all the positive reviews of Shadow Wars + a lot of people saying they were going to pick it up + anecdotes that stores didn't get many copies = me purchasing it on Amazon. Can't wait.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/03/3ds-games-buyers-guide/

Well this article turned out to be pretty worthless. I was hoping they'd have some impressions of Shadow Wars but all they basically say it "it's a tactical strategy game"... well no shit.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited March 2011
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Yeah, all the positive reviews of Shadow Wars + a lot of people saying they were going to pick it up + anecdotes that stores didn't get many copies = me purchasing it on Amazon. Can't wait.

If I weren't such a cheapskate, I'd be getting it as well -- but I'm waiting to shovel a large list of long, slower, turn-based-ish games off my backlog before picking it up. It looks like a really deep, intricate game, even though the graphics look kind of butt.

Lunker on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The "living board game" sent shivers up my spine. This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted. I thought it would take years for us to get something like that.

SirUltimos on
  • InAmberCladInAmberClad Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    well i've spent an afternoon with shadow wars and lego star wars and they're both immensely fun.

i've had a system crash whilst playing shadow wars though, start of the second mission my 3ds threw up a "there has been an error" screen and insisted I held down the power button until it reset.

The 3d is more subtle in the proper retail games than on the AR stuff etc, i find it a lot easier on the eyes. Lego star wars is a really good looking title, nice lighting effects and really smooth animations. The 3d doesn't add anything to the gameplay, but it adds depth to everything and really pulls you in. The space battles are awesome, i'm getting Terminal Velocity flashbacks. For once it feels like it's home console brothers rather than a chopped down version like the previous DS versions.

Shadow wars is an unexpected joy. The 3d gives everything a nice depth as valleys / factories etc fall away from you. The control system is perfect for this type of game, really brings back happy memories of Jagged alliance and xcom. It's got a lot more depth (gameplay wise) than i was expecting from it, it allows you to play with a good ammount of strategy and cunning. I only picked this up because it was in the amazon bundle and i didn't want the rest, but i've actually spent longer with it this afternoon than star wars (and i'm a huge star wars nerd). All characters have various weapons and abilities, the maps are a decent size, and have various cover features to take advantage of (bushes that obscure line of sight but provide no cover).

I love the 3d, i've got the hang of it now and it really does add something. I'm finding myself using it sparingly though, switching it on for a while, then playing for a while without it. The effects in Shadow Wars look awesome, the smoke coming up out of the screen etc really looks impressive. Really happy with the system all told, really really happy.

InAmberClad on
  • MurchieMurchie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got my copy of shadow wars sitting on my coffee table right now, but no 3DS to put it in. Even tried to get my friend of a friend retail manager to...shall we say...chronologicaly relax my preorder, to no avail. I don't know why Canada has to be lumped in with the rest of the Americas. We are much more European. :)

Murchie on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I was buying a 3DS at launch, I would definitely pick up Shadow Wars. At least I have Tactics Ogre to comfort me in my 3DS-lessness.

RainbowDespair on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had a thought the other day...little worrysome.

I know people are talking about finding the 'sweet spot' and playing with a demo unit at best buy, i did manage to find it for a bit. What worries me is that the headaches are going to come not from that but from looking from the 3d to the 2d bottom screen with games that heavily use both.

Maybe its just something that you get use to with time. I remember when i bought my first large wide screen monitor i thought that shit was so tight i felt like i could stick my hand into the screen. Now im so use to it that i never get that experience anymore. Sure its still very nice, but the wow factor isnt as strong.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pretty sure this has been asked before, but is there any kind of Hori 3DS game case? Just something to hold 5-6 games or so?

Zerokku on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ordered! Went with the Ghost Recon game. X-Com ish? I'll take it!

Preordered the black one. Nice amazon credit bonuses, should make OOT fairly cheap when it comes out!

SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Right now you can't click anyone's name to email them, but I'll finish that up tonight. And make it prettier. Feel free to add all your friend codes and regions (I'm gonna have it so you can sort by region).

done, looking forward to 3DS sessions with you lot

Ziggymon on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I know people are talking about finding the 'sweet spot' and playing with a demo unit at best buy, i did manage to find it for a bit. What worries me is that the headaches are going to come not from that but from looking from the 3d to the 2d bottom screen with games that heavily use both.

Maybe its just something that you get use to with time. I remember when i bought my first large wide screen monitor i thought that shit was so tight i felt like i could stick my hand into the screen. Now im so use to it that i never get that experience anymore. Sure its still very nice, but the wow factor isnt as strong.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm torn between getting this or one of the pouches from Club Nintendo, or waiting to see if CN will add another 3DS carrying case to the rewards page

Green on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Do you wanna play some Street Fighter, right now?

Peewi on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GameStop has texted me. The weekend is here. I just came.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    azith28 wrote: »

I don't think I'll personally have issues with switching between the 3D and the 2D screens on the 3DS. I actually tried switching back/forth back/forth a bunch while playing the pilotwings demo unit just to see if it was uncomfortable or difficult on my eyes or anything and I found it to be a total nonissue. But of course I can't speak for everyone on this so others' mileage may vary.

I will say that while I expect the "wow factor" of the 3D to go away, I still expect it to provide part of the experience. It's like, when you get a brand new generation console, at first the graphics are amazing, but over a while you get used to it and the wow factor isn't there; but you still enjoy the level of graphics that you are now used to for sure, and sometimes every now and then you get a game that still manages to wow you with what it does. I expect 3D to be similar. Big wow factor at first, then you get used to it, but it's still cool, and every now and then you get a game that does something really sweet with the 3D.

slash000 on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    well i've spent an afternoon with shadow wars and lego star wars and they're both immensely fun.

i've had a system crash whilst playing shadow wars though, start of the second mission my 3ds threw up a "there has been an error" screen and insisted I held down the power button until it reset.

The 3d is more subtle in the proper retail games than on the AR stuff etc, i find it a lot easier on the eyes. Lego star wars is a really good looking title, nice lighting effects and really smooth animations. The 3d doesn't add anything to the gameplay, but it adds depth to everything and really pulls you in. The space battles are awesome, i'm getting Terminal Velocity flashbacks. For once it feels like it's home console brothers rather than a chopped down version like the previous DS versions.

Shadow wars is an unexpected joy. The 3d gives everything a nice depth as valleys / factories etc fall away from you. The control system is perfect for this type of game, really brings back happy memories of Jagged alliance and xcom. It's got a lot more depth (gameplay wise) than i was expecting from it, it allows you to play with a good ammount of strategy and cunning. I only picked this up because it was in the amazon bundle and i didn't want the rest, but i've actually spent longer with it this afternoon than star wars (and i'm a huge star wars nerd). All characters have various weapons and abilities, the maps are a decent size, and have various cover features to take advantage of (bushes that obscure line of sight but provide no cover).

I love the 3d, i've got the hang of it now and it really does add something. I'm finding myself using it sparingly though, switching it on for a while, then playing for a while without it. The effects in Shadow Wars look awesome, the smoke coming up out of the screen etc really looks impressive. Really happy with the system all told, really really happy.

Does LEGO star wars seem like a full featured copy of the game, like the console one with worse graphics, or a cut down mobile one like the past DS versions have been?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Do you wanna play some Street Fighter, right now?

im on now if you wanna go

Ziggymon on
    edited March 2011
    I'm still not 100 percent sure about how I'll feel about using 3D constantly, or the whole "headaches" debate, but one thing I can say for sure is that people won't be able to figure out their own true reactions to it at a store kiosk. It's too short of a time sample, and typically when you're approaching the system or any specific game the first time, you're essentially stress-testing the 3D capacity to see what works and what breaks, and I think that sort of riding up and down the slider constantly is going to give pretty much anyone some trouble.

Sadly, the only way I'm going to know if 3D is comfortable for long portions of time is long after retailers have my money. Luckily, I'm okay with turning off the 3D and the system just being a supercharged DS sequel. And if it looks rad in 3D, then even better.
    slash000 wrote:
    I will say that while I expect the "wow factor" of the 3D to go away, I still expect it to provide part of the experience. It's like, when you get a brand new generation console, at first the graphics are amazing, but over a while you get used to it and the wow factor isn't there; but you still enjoy the level of graphics that you are now used to for sure, and sometimes every now and then you get a game that still manages to wow you with what it does. I expect 3D to be similar. Big wow factor at first, then you get used to it, but it's still cool, and every now and then you get a game that does something really sweet with the 3D.

Yes, this. :) Though given the nature of tech, I wonder if 3DS games in general are going to end up giving a default benefit to playing in 2D mode, like how SSFIV and DoA run at 60 FPS in 2D versus 30 in 3D.

Lunker on
  • izzyfoshizzyizzyfoshizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    does anyone have an idea of how difficult it will be to get a hold of the 3DS on launch day? i'm hoping to pick one up but haven't preordered it :(

izzyfoshizzy on
    We're giving away a brand new Nintendo 3DS, just subscribe to our Youtube channel!!: [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j783JuF4Ig"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j783JuF4Ig[/vidURL]
    edited March 2011
    does anyone have an idea of how difficult it will be to get a hold of the 3DS on launch day? i'm hoping to pick one up but haven't preordered it :(

In the US it seems most stores (Like gamestop) are preordered out. Your best bet would be to try a lesser visited store like Kmart.

Zerokku on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anecdotal evidence: My GameStop said they wouldn't have any copies for non-preorders.

Heleor on
    edited March 2011
    i was afraid of that. i have hope that some store somewhere in my area will have an extra couple. i guess i'll make some calls/visits that day unless anyone has any better ideas

izzyfoshizzy on
    We're giving away a brand new Nintendo 3DS, just subscribe to our Youtube channel!!: [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j783JuF4Ig"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j783JuF4Ig[/vidURL]
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    At my local Toys R Us I have inside information that they received 30 3DSs but only 7 preorders. And I know several of the people who put in those preorders. :) So I'd say try a Toys R Us.

I wonder how much stock Sony is going to put into the 3DS's pricing and subsequent sales. Will they take notice that $250 is apparently a sweet spot for modern hardware to sell well and try to match it, or will they instead interpret it as a sign that they can get away with an even higher price without much trouble? Or in the end, will the 3DS have very little bearing on their ultimate decision?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited March 2011
    thanks for the tip! much appreciated :)
    At my local Toys R Us I have inside information that they received 30 3DSs but only 7 preorders. And I know several of the people who put in those preorders. :) So I'd say try a Toys R Us.

izzyfoshizzy on
    edited March 2011
    TinyCartridge also has a Tiny Review of Steel Diver up, if people are looking for more reviews/impressions. Generally, the game's clunky-on-purpose controls are pretty enjoyable, but the game is woefully short even when taking the three different subs into account (only eight single-player stages, most of them about 5 minutes long) and not all that hard.

This is also my favorite review of Steel Diver because they embedded Dio's "Holy Diver" in their writeup.

Lunker on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    Anecdotal evidence: My GameStop said they wouldn't have any copies for non-preorders.

I'd say if you get there EARLY, you have a fair chance at Gamestop.

Also, they are doing orders for 2nd wave shipments (for stores that ARE sold out already) by April 1st now.

ManetherenWolf on
    edited March 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    TinyCartridge also has a Tiny Review of Steel Diver up, if people are looking for more reviews/impressions. Generally, the game's clunky-on-purpose controls are pretty enjoyable, but the game is woefully short even when taking the three different subs into account (only eight single-player stages, most of them about 5 minutes long) and not all that hard.

This is also my favorite review of Steel Diver because they embedded Dio's "Holy Diver" in their writeup.

Now I'm going to have Holy Diver stuck in my head for the rest of the day (Not that thats a bad thing). Also nice to see a fellow Tiny Cartridge fan here :D

Zerokku on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

If it were me in this situation I would try my luck at Fry's Electronics. If there's not one near you, probably what others have suggested like Walmart or Kmart.

slash000 on
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, when does GameStop *ever* have product for non-pre-orders anyways? :P

I'm guessing a lot of the supply questions depend on where you live too.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do you guys feel that the 3d being completely optional is going to limit what developers choose to do with it

Do you think there will be any games where 3d is mandatory for the gameplay

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited March 2011
    Do you guys feel that the 3d being completely optional is going to limit what developers choose to do with it

Do you think there will be any games where 3d is mandatory for the gameplay

Probably not from Nintendo, but otherwise, maybe. Nothing stopping 3rd parties.

Warlock82 on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not that it surprises me after being thoroughly unimpressed from playing a demo of it, but man, Steel Diver is getting slammed in reviews.

Gamestop 4.5/10
    Gamesradar 6/10
    IGN 7/10
    GamesFocus 7/10
    1Up C+
    Steel Diver never figures out if it wants to be a submarine simulation or an action romp, and that indecision leads to a yawn-inducing experience. And to make matters worse, even if you do get sucked into this adventure, there isn't much content on offer.
    Having only seven maps is a real letdown, and the subs aren’t diverse enough to make that many multiple playthroughs particularly worthwhile.
    Ultimately, Steel Diver feels less like a cohesive game, and more like a few neat submarine-based distractions and demos packaged into a full-price retail box.
    Ultimately that’s the biggest problem with Steel Diver: there’s just not enough to do, at least not for the price. We appreciate that Nintendo did something different here, and a system’s launch is a great time to be more experimental, but if we’re going to pay $39.99 for a new 3DS game, we’re going to need more than this.

Nintendo has released plenty of beefy games filled with content in the past so it's rather surprising that all of their launch titles are so short (with the possible exception of the pet simulator).

RainbowDespair on
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not that I can play it, but the Best Buy here broke street date on SSF4. Now to open it up and drool over the manual!

Wraithverge on
This discussion has been closed.