As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not that it surprises me after being thoroughly unimpressed from playing a demo of it, but man, Steel Diver is getting slammed in reviews.

Gamestop 4.5/10
    Gamesradar 6/10
    IGN 7/10
    GamesFocus 7/10
    1Up C+
    Steel Diver never figures out if it wants to be a submarine simulation or an action romp, and that indecision leads to a yawn-inducing experience. And to make matters worse, even if you do get sucked into this adventure, there isn't much content on offer.
    Having only seven maps is a real letdown, and the subs aren’t diverse enough to make that many multiple playthroughs particularly worthwhile.
    Ultimately, Steel Diver feels less like a cohesive game, and more like a few neat submarine-based distractions and demos packaged into a full-price retail box.
    Ultimately that’s the biggest problem with Steel Diver: there’s just not enough to do, at least not for the price. We appreciate that Nintendo did something different here, and a system’s launch is a great time to be more experimental, but if we’re going to pay $39.99 for a new 3DS game, we’re going to need more than this.

What baffles me is that it's not just Steel Diver, a lot of the same things are being said about Pilotwings. Nintendo doesn't seem like it's usually one to "half-ass" the content, but I wonder if they rushed these two a bit to get them out for launch.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    amazon seems to have them unless I'm reading them wrong, though you have to pay extra for 1 day shipping to have it sunday

I am thinking about it

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do you guys feel that the 3d being completely optional is going to limit what developers choose to do with it

Do you think there will be any games where 3d is mandatory for the gameplay

I don't know how much choosing there is to be done as far as 3D goes. It's like asking what developers will choose to do with HD resolutions. In both situations you either choose to support it or you don't, and the public might perceive your game as lacking in quality if you don't, so most devs will support it.

I believe it might be possible to make a game where 3D is somehow mandatory, but I personally can't think of any real applications for it. The camera would have to be static, since as soon as you move the camera you'll notice far objects moving slowly and near objects moving quickly, giving you as good an approximation of 3D as you'd ever need.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    amazon seems to have them unless I'm reading them wrong, though you have to pay extra for 1 day shipping to have it sunday

I am thinking about it

It won't be delivered on Sunday.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Its already been stated that a game is not allowed to require 3D (For any games on the system). Hell something like 10% of the population cant even see it after all.

Zerokku on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That kind of sucks. As a cosmetic thing I couldn't be less interested in 3d, but if they found a way to integrate it into gameplay I would be interested in that. As it stands I'll probably give every game a try for like 15 minutes in 3d just for kicks and then switch it off to conserve battery.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Its already been stated that a game is not allowed to require 3D (For any games on the system). Hell something like 10% of the population cant even see it after all.

Nintendo said they would not make a game that required 3D. I don't think they mandated that *no one* could.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited March 2011
    That kind of sucks. As a cosmetic thing I couldn't be less interested in 3d, but if they found a way to integrate it into gameplay I would be interested in that. As it stands I'll probably give every game a try for like 15 minutes in 3d just for kicks and then switch it off to conserve battery.

If a game is set up like Wario Land on Virtual Boy where you can jump between foreground and background layers, does that count as integrated into gameplay? It'd definitely give the game some neat depth, but again, 3D wouldn't be mandatory.

Heck, there was some foreground/background sidescrolling like that in Paper Mario Thousand Year Door.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    *sigh* My worst fears have been realized. Ubisoft is really outdoing themselves in bringing the shit for the 3DS launch, and apparently Splinter Cell is a HUGE STEAMING PILE of it...

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/25060/splinter-cell-3d-review-nintendo-3ds/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/295238/reviews/splinter-cell-3ds-review/

Overall Ubisoft isn't doing too bad. Shadow Wars is everyone's second favorite launch game and Rayman hasn't been faring that bad with reviews and impressions - poor reviews seem more focused on the fact that it's an old and endlessly-ported game rather than any actual technical issues or glaring problems.

So that leaves Asphalt, which is more a Gameloft project than Ubi's, and Combat of Giants.

Ok let me rephrase that, Ubi is really bringing that extra special brand of Ubisoft laziness that only they can. Even Shadow Wars which by it's own right is supposed to be a fantastic game, the one fault I can level at it is that everybody seems to think that it was a nearly complete DS game that was given an extra layer of polish and a delay so that it could come out on the 3DS.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not surprised that Steel Diver is being panned. Just a glorified tech demo in the end.

What was that submarine shmup game that the Metal Slug people made before Metal Slug? Man, that's what Steel Diver should have been.

Actually I'd just really like a 3DS Metal Slug...

Gaslight on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Decided to try updating from system settings on a whim. Turns out there was an update already. It added a nifty 3D video to the home menu and also "improved the communication features of the device".

So say Nintendo of America anyway.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Not surprised that Steel Diver is being panned. Just a glorified tech demo in the end.

What was that submarine shmup game that the Metal Slug people made before Metal Slug? Man, that's what Steel Diver should have been.

Actually I'd just really like a 3DS Metal Slug...
    Metal Slug Collection 3DS.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm really mad at you right now for momentarily making me think this was an actual, confirmed, thing, instead of just a beautiful dream.

Edit: The game I was thinking of was "In The Hunt," as it turns out.

Gaslight on
    edited March 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »

I'm really mad at you right now for momentarily making me think this was an actual, confirmed, thing, instead of just a beautiful dream.

Edit: The game I was thinking of was "In The Hunt," as it turns out.

Shadow of the Colossus 3DS... MUHAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

The_Spaniard on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Decided to try updating from system settings on a whim. Turns out there was an update already. It added a nifty 3D video to the home menu and also "improved the communication features of the device".

I particularly like the slow motion shot of splashing water in that video.

Even though the online features are greatly improved over the DS and Wii, it greatly needs the ability to tell someone that you want to play with them. A flashing light telling you a friend is online and a menu showing what game they're playing does nothing to organise online multiplayer when you can't send messages. Even a couple of pre-defined messages could help greatly.

If Nintendo isn't going to implement some messaging directly in the system it'll be up to game developers to do it. Unfortunately Capcom has not done so in SSF4, so it'll take communication through other means or an incredible coincidence to play with a friend.

Peewi on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Not that it surprises me after being thoroughly unimpressed from playing a demo of it, but man, Steel Diver is getting slammed in reviews.

Gamestop 4.5/10
    Gamesradar 6/10
    IGN 7/10
    GamesFocus 7/10
    1Up C+
    Steel Diver never figures out if it wants to be a submarine simulation or an action romp, and that indecision leads to a yawn-inducing experience. And to make matters worse, even if you do get sucked into this adventure, there isn't much content on offer.
    Having only seven maps is a real letdown, and the subs aren’t diverse enough to make that many multiple playthroughs particularly worthwhile.
    Ultimately, Steel Diver feels less like a cohesive game, and more like a few neat submarine-based distractions and demos packaged into a full-price retail box.
    Ultimately that’s the biggest problem with Steel Diver: there’s just not enough to do, at least not for the price. We appreciate that Nintendo did something different here, and a system’s launch is a great time to be more experimental, but if we’re going to pay $39.99 for a new 3DS game, we’re going to need more than this.

What baffles me is that it's not just Steel Diver, a lot of the same things are being said about Pilotwings. Nintendo doesn't seem like it's usually one to "half-ass" the content, but I wonder if they rushed these two a bit to get them out for launch.

I wouldn't call 7/10 'slammed', but if the consensus is that it's average and light on content then that's a shame. I would totally be up for a sequel where they put more effort into it and work the gameplay a bit.

Splinter Cell being panned saddens me, Chaos Theory deserves better.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited March 2011

Gamestop 4.5/10
    Gamesradar 6/10
    IGN 7/10
    GamesFocus 7/10
    1Up C+

I wouldn't call 7/10 'slammed', but if the consensus is that it's average and light on content then that's a shame. I would totally be up for a sequel where they put more effort into it and work the gameplay a bit.

Splinter Cell being panned saddens me, Chaos Theory deserves better.

The thing that depresses me most about it, is that it's not like they can just do another release of Chaos Theory later on the 3DS and fix all that. They shit the port bed and now everybody has to lay in it. I wish they would wait a year or so and then release a Directors Cut version or something that fixes everything.

The_Spaniard on
    edited March 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

Even though the online features are greatly improved over the DS and Wii, it greatly needs the ability to tell someone that you want to play with them. A flashing light telling you a friend is online and a menu showing what game they're playing does nothing to organise online multiplayer when you can't send messages. Even a couple of pre-defined messages could help greatly.

If Nintendo isn't going to implement some messaging directly in the system it'll be up to game developers to do it. Unfortunately Capcom has not done so in SSF4, so it'll take communication through other means or an incredible coincidence to play with a friend.

There is this thing coming that they say is the evolution of pictochat. Even if that doesn't have the basic functionality you mention then hopefully they will implement something.

John Zoidberg on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The thing that depresses me most about it, is that it's not like they can just do another release of Chaos Theory later on the 3DS and fix all that. They shit the port bed and now everybody has to lay in it. I wish they would wait a year or so and then release a Directors Cut version or something that fixes everything.

This should have been the Director's Cut.

They released Chaos Theory for DS several years ago and it had funky control issues and framerate problems. The controls you could get used to. All they had to do was improve the framerate/graphics/audio with the improved hardware of the 3DS. Or at least give the player more control config options.

But instead they shoehorned everything into the touch screen and mapped the camera to the face buttons.

What. The. Hell.

I knew this was going to be a sloppy port. I just was hoping it would be at worst as sloppy as the DS port. But instead it seems like it may be worse off.

slash000 on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Gamestop 4.5/10
    Gamesradar 6/10
    IGN 7/10
    GamesFocus 7/10
    1Up C+

Well, the problem is that 7/10 are the positive reviews. It just goes downhill from there. Current GameRankings average is 63% - I can't remember the last Nintendo developed game to review that poorly.

RainbowDespair on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Futureshop in canada shipped my 3ds yesterday, yay! except, instead of shipping it from the distribution center right beside me that takes a day like they usually do, they shipped it from one on the other side of the bloody country so i'll be lucky to get it at all next week :x ffffuuu futureshop and canadapost, ffffuuu! (it always amazes me how a developed countries postal service can be as unbelievably shitty as canada's )

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited March 2011
    slash000 wrote: »

They released Chaos Theory for DS several years ago and it had funky control issues and framerate problems. The controls you could get used to. All they had to do was improve the framerate/graphics/audio with the improved hardware of the 3DS. Or at least give the player more control config options.

But instead they shoehorned everything into the touch screen and mapped the camera to the face buttons.

What. The. Hell.

Yeah. Initial impressions were ok until I realised I had to be moving with the slide pad and then hit down on the dpad to do a roll.

o_O

It then kinda snowballed from there. I was willing to give it a chance but I lost all will to play when I reached the 2nd level.

John Zoidberg on
    edited March 2011
    slash000 wrote: »

What. The. Hell.

I knew this was going to be a sloppy port. I just was hoping it would be at worst as sloppy as the DS port. But instead it seems like it may be worse off.
    More reviews are trickling out and are starting to bitch about the graphics too, saying that they are serviceable but there is no excuse for them to look as bad as they do considering the hardware and that the game should look at least as good as the original Xbox version.

You know what I'd really like to see on the 3DS, Carmageddon!

The_Spaniard on
    edited March 2011
    There is this thing coming that they say is the evolution of pictochat. Even if that doesn't have the basic functionality you mention then hopefully they will implement something.

I was not aware of that. That could be nice. The eshop and web browser is still scheduled for may, right?

Peewi on
    edited March 2011

I was not aware of that. That could be nice. The eshop and web browser is still scheduled for may, right?

I think so. They can't come soon enough for me. Got to get my Game Boy on.. and other things I'm sure.

John Zoidberg on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah. Initial impressions were ok until I realised I had to be moving with the slide pad and then hit down on the dpad to do a roll.

How does a game get out with issues like that, I will never understand.

More reviews are trickling out and are starting to bitch about the graphics too, saying that they are serviceable but there is no excuse for them to look as bad as they do considering the hardware and that the game should look at least as good as the original Xbox version.

I'm starting to think this was originally going to be an Iphone game. Hence the slightly lesser graphics than you might expect and all these controls jammed onto the touch screen in a context sensitive fashion.

slash000 on
    edited March 2011
    Well, the problem is that 7/10 are the positive reviews. It just goes downhill from there. Current GameRankings average is 63% - I can't remember the last Nintendo developed game to review that poorly.

As a matter of fact, both Wii Music and Mario Sports Mix have Metacritic averages of exactly 63%.

That's coincidental!

UncleSporky on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Ah, I got you.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Okay, let's not stop there. Let's go the distance. What's next after a messaging system?

List of recently played with people, so you can opt to send friend requests/messages to them.

An ignore list, so you don't play with people you hate.

System-wide Voice chat? Well, the Pokemon games have had that, so I doubt it'd be hard to implement.

The ability to form parties of up to a certain number, so that you can mess around with your friends in a group.

In fact, let's just steal the functionality of Xbox Live. Nowadays, that's become the norm for most multiplayer people. If you don't have all of those perceived standard features, just one isn't going to cut it. Combine that with Nintendo's own selection of unique features (StreetPass, SpotPass, Play Coins) and the eShop, and there won't be cause for alarm.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

As a matter of fact, both Wii Music and Mario Sports Mix have Metacritic averages of exactly 63%.

That's coincidental!

That is a surprise. Then again, Wii Music and Mario Sports Mix both seem a lot more mainstream than a submarine game. It'll be interesting to see how Steel Diver sells - if the fact that it's Nintendo and a launch title will make up for the short length and poor review scores.

RainbowDespair on
    edited March 2011
    I did search everywhere in the options to see if I could at least control the camera with the pad and move Fisher with the buttons. They are clumped pretty close together so it was easy enough to aim my gun in diagonal motions, etc. The extra degree of control would not be needed just for movement.

Then the controls would be somewhat close to approaching ok. Move with the buttons, camera control with the slide, jump and roll via the dpad. That would work.

But nooooo. It makes me mad just thinking about it and I am going to return this to the store tomorrow.

John Zoidberg on
    edited March 2011

That's coincidental!

That is a surprise. Then again, Wii Music and Mario Sports Mix both seem a lot more mainstream than a submarine game. It'll be interesting to see how Steel Diver sells - if the fact that it's Nintendo and a launch title will make up for the short length and poor review scores.

I'd be more interested in the sales of the next game. Otherwise, we'll get into a situation like Red Steel/Red Steel 2. One sells more because of Launchitis and hype, but the other is the better game from the ground up.

What I hope this doesn't do is cause a negative reaction on Nintendo's part and cause them to give up on trying to do more fresh content/games, like EA and Mirror's Edge.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    Okay, let's not stop there. Let's go the distance. What's next after a messaging system?

List of recently played with people, so you can opt to send friend requests/messages to them.

System-wide Voice chat? Well, the Pokemon games have had that, so I doubt it'd be hard to implement.

The ability to form parties of up to a certain number, so that you can mess around with your friends in a group.

In fact, let's just steal the functionality of Xbox Live. Nowadays, that's become the norm for most multiplayer people. If you don't have all of those perceived standard features, just one isn't going to cut it. Combine that with Nintendo's own selection of unique features (StreetPass, SpotPass, Play Coins) and the eShop, and there won't be cause for alarm.

Are these pie-in-the-sky wishes or realistic wants? Because everything besides partying is either against Nintendo's wishes or wouldn't be possible due to hardware limits.

Opty on
    edited March 2011
    Remember how no one had no idea when DoA is coming out? Nintendo is going to be distributing it in Europe and it says May.

Peewi on
    edited March 2011
    Opty wrote: »
    V Faction wrote: »

Are these pie-in-the-sky wishes or realistic wants? Because everything besides partying is either against Nintendo's wishes or wouldn't be possible due to hardware limits.

It's just a random list. My impression of what most people want falls somewhere in the "It's nice, but its not [Insert Service Here]" region. Nintendo puts in system-wide friend codes with a friends list, the next thing getting asked for is a messaging system. Say that gets put in, what's next on the list? Whatever it is, will it be enough?

I'm fine with what I'm getting so far in the 3DS, but you know there are tons of people who are seeing these features, like StreetPass, and are all ho-hum about 'em. So I wonder what the bar of acceptable features is to most people.

V Faction on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My wife just emailed me:

Subject: Choose

Blue or Black?

My birthday is April 7th. God I hope it's a 3ds.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited March 2011
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    My wife just emailed me:

Blue or Black?

She either meant lingerie or dildos.

Question. Is there a flyer or official announcement on the B1G1HO at TRU yet? I want to price-match at Best Buy since I have a bunch of credit there, but I can't find a flyer for it. Googling it brings up a ton of blog sites reporting on it but none of them link to anything official. Also I know BB price matches brick and mortar prices, but do they price match a sale like that too?

The_Spaniard on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    My wife just emailed me:

Blue or Black?

She either meant lingerie or dildos.

Question. Is there a flyer or official announcement on the B1G1HO at TRU yet? I want to price-match at Best Buy since I have a bunch of credit there, but I can't find a flyer for it. Googling it brings up a ton of blog sites reporting on it but none of them link to anything official. Also I know BB price matches brick and mortar prices, but do they price match a sale like that too?

Does it start Sunday? If so your local paper might have one on Saturday or Sunday.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are there any links for the alleged messaging features that might be comin in the May update? When it comes to Nintendo and online, my policy is "guilty until proven innocent," so while I'd absolutely love some kind of friend communication I'm not going to hold my breath.

How do online matches work in SSFIV? I guess I assumed you'd be able to invite friends from your list into a lobby, or at least see visibly any open lobbies that your friends have made. I only played the console version briefly, but that had two online play options: Ranked (i.e., random online play for scoring and ranking) and a pseudo-arcade cabinet mode that had you making a lobby, playing with friends and/or randoms, and winner stays in the match while loser rotates out.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    Are there any links for the alleged messaging features that might be comin in the May update? When it comes to Nintendo and online, my policy is "guilty until proven innocent," so while I'd absolutely love some kind of friend communication I'm not going to hold my breath.

There aren't any messaging features coming in the May update. This is about all we have on the subject for now:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/03/nintendo-3ds-chat-hideki-konno/
    By exchanging 12-digit numerical codes with fellow early adopters, 3DS users can build a Friends List. Right now, there’s not much you can do with it — you can see which of your friends are online and what game they’re playing, but there’s no way to interact. No game invites, no voice chat, not even text messaging.

When I floated the idea of text chat to Konno, he seemed to agree. “We are going to be making updates to the system, and I think that’s something that would be really interesting to do,” he said through a translator.

http://kotaku.com/#!5738668/short-cords-long-friend-lists-and-other-burning-3ds-questions-answered
    We know the Friend Code system is better this time around. Can you even send messages to people while you're playing, maybe while the game is suspended?

Trinen says "the goal is there will be some messaging functions" but couldn't lock in details for us.

UncleSporky on
This discussion has been closed.