As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Thread - Own DA2? Want a free copy of Mass Effect 2 on PC? Check the OP!

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ...Pancake.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Keep saying it Basil, just to be safe.

Vee on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I vote "[Dragon Age Thread] ...Pancake" for the new thread title.

And I think you can visit people in the circle, because I believe Leandra mentions she visited Bethany at some point. Maybe she can do that because she's nobility though, and someone bent the rules for her.

Yougottawanna on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

And I think you can visit people in the circle, because I believe Leandra mentions she visited Bethany at some point. Maybe she can do that because she's nobility though, and someone bent the rules for her.

maybe she bent herself over for someone :winky:

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I need more buckets of lime! There's not enough!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    evilthecat wrote: »

D:

It's your (PC's) mom, dude!

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • spencermmspencermm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    .....And the last horse crosses the finish line. Got it. I forgot this was the internet.

Re: mages, I suspect that the families of mages who were brought to the Circle as adults can visit. Also, even at that early juncture Hawke was making friends in the Templars, especially Cullen, who is second in command to Meredith. But that's just the Kirkwall Circle, which is especially strict. Mages from other Circles are allowed to not only leave the Circle tower, but live elsewhere and have families. An example of this is Wilhelm, from whose home in Honnleath you acquire Shale in Origins.

spencermm on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How about "Dragon Age Thread: Set Sarcasm Detectors to Pancake."

Torso Boy on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    spencermm wrote: »
    .....And the last horse crosses the finish line. Got it. I forgot this was the internet.

Re: mages, I suspect that the families of mages who were brought to the Circle as adults can visit. Also, even at that early juncture Hawke was making friends in the Templars, especially Cullen, who is second in command to Meredith. But that's just the Kirkwall Circle, which is especially strict. Mages from other Circles are allowed to not only leave the Circle tower, but live elsewhere and have families. An example of this is Wilhelm, from whose home in Honnleath you acquire Shale in Origins.

Those mages are given special permission to leave and they generally need to have good reasons for it. Most mages live most of their lives inside their towers.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »

D:

so what are you saying?
    my mom isn't entitled to a good banging?
    you sir, are what's wrong with today's society!

evilthecat on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Also, that one senior enchanter in the mage origin had his family visit

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »

D:

so what are you saying?
    my mom isn't entitled to a good banging?
    you sir, are what's wrong with today's society!
    She doesn't really have good luck with men, to be fair.
    The first one subjected her to a life constantly on the run an evading Templars, and it went downhill from there.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think it's worth noting that Dragon Age does contain a few over-the-top stereotypical gay male sluts.

Though I'm not saying it's a big deal or anything.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Never did this on my first run, but during the screen loadings it says the mistress at the Blooming Rose offers something special for frequent customers, is there a mission in this or anything worthwhile to try on a second playthrough?

TexiKen on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They should just make all the female romantic interests in DA3 be exclusively lesbian. But not exclusively in-game lesbian, they should verify the players gender and only unlock the female romances if the player is a woman.

Then they could have a single default female love interest for guys, and she would have Aveline's face, Bethany's hands, and Carth Onasi's voice actor.

I bet no one would complain about the romanceable females in DA2 after that.

Regina Fong on
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Never did this on my first run, but during the screen loadings it says the mistress at the Blooming Rose offers something special for frequent customers, is there a mission in this or anything worthwhile to try on a second playthrough?

evilthecat on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »

Naw, but it's funny.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011
    They should just make all the female romantic interests in DA3 be exclusively lesbian. But not exclusively in-game lesbian, they should verify the players gender and only unlock the female romances if the player is a woman.

Then they could have a single default female love interest for guys, and she would have Aveline's face, Bethany's hands, and Carth Onasi's voice actor.

You only say that because you're gay and gay men have nothing to complain about in DA2.

You have Fenris, who's dark and brooding and moody and gets angry and snaps at you all the time. And then you have Anders, who's charmless, needy, and obsessive.

Who wouldn't want them?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Pancake wrote: »

You only say that because you're gay and gay men have nothing to complain about in DA2.

You have Fenris, who's dark and brooding and moody and gets angry and snaps at you all the time. And then you have Anders, who's charmless, needy, and obsessive.

Who wouldn't want them?

Well obviously Fenris and Anders overwhelmingly satisfy the entire breadth and depth of male-male relationships, but have you considered that we can't be happy unless everyone else is unhappy?

Regina Fong on
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here is my idea for an DLC/Expansion pack.
    You play as Bethany/Carver upon induction to the Grey Wardens. You might even find out what that important mission Bethany/Carver and Stroud were on at the end of Act II when you run into them. You'll also go to the Deep Roads and run into the Champion again in the Finding Nathaniel quest and tie up what Bethany/Carver was doing in the deep roads.

spamfilter on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Who wouldn't want them?
    And they're still both better options than Anomen.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited March 2011
    Also, the whole thing with hetero dudes getting offended because Anders hit on them.

Well, it is Anders.

If they made the male love interests awesome, then people would be less weirded out when they got hit on. They might not exactly like it, but there's a big difference between some creepy neckbeard hitting on you and hinting unsubtly that he is looking for a new place to move into, and oh, I don't know, lets say John Barrowman (feel free to insert whatever attractive gay man who is well outside the league of 99.9999% of the gamers in existence who makes my analogy work best for you) hitting on you.

Sure, someone will be offended anyway. But they'll be less offended, even if they can't admit it to themselves.

Regina Fong on
    edited March 2011
    They're only offended because Anders is an awful stereotype of a promiscuous gay man.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was offended when Anders made a pass at me because he didn't even shave first. I mean, put in a little effort at least.

Yougottawanna on
    edited March 2011
    Meredith Act 3 quest with the 3 mages.
    Seems to be bugged out on me.

I go to the Gallows and I simply can't enter Meredith's compound, and there's no active quest marker or anything like that.

Not to mention Merrill and Anders's quests getting all buggy and out of order and never really resolving, but whatever.

Is there some workaround that will allow me to finish this game?

kedinik on
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And all achievements unlocked.

I did get the Merrill 3rd Act bug this time, and I noticed this is the only time in the end of Act 2
    Isabela did not come back

So I'm starting to wonder if the two are related, somehow
    when the game removes Isabela it does something else that screws up Merrill's quest line.

spamfilter on
    edited March 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »

Who wouldn't want them?
    And they're still both better options than Anomen.

He wasn't that bad once you were, uh, halfway through his romance.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2011
    spamfilter wrote: »
    And all achievements unlocked.

I did get the Merrill 3rd Act bug this time, and I noticed this is the only time in the end of Act 2
    Isabela did not come back

So I'm starting to wonder if the two are related, somehow
    when the game removes Isabela it does something else that screws up Merrill's quest line.

No, I've had her bug in Act 3 without losing that character.

Regina Fong on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They're only offended because Anders is [strike]an[/strike] awful [strike]stereotype of a promiscuous gay man.[/strike]

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    What is the Merrill 3rd Act bug? I've only had one issue with her, and that's that her quest end cinematic plays the first time I visit her, and then the quest's unavailable until after you
    meet with Alistair.
    A bug, certainly, confusing and slightly annoying, but not serious.

I've personally encountered exactly one significant bug, on 360, and that's a quest that doesn't work (Who Needs Rescuing? in Act 3). Other than that, and those mixed up cinematics, I've had no problems. The constantly reused assets is annoying, and there's a lack of depth I dislike (fewer side quests, less interaction with companions, gaps in time I'd like filled), but I imagine a lot of that will be remedied by DLC. Overall, I love the game and think that Bioware managed the EA-directed truncated dev time the best they could. I'd describe their strategy as have chosen to make a Bioware-quality 30-35 hour game rather than a mediocre 50-60 hour game.

spencermm on
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    They're only offended because Anders is [strike]an[/strike] awful [strike]stereotype of a promiscuous gay man.[/strike]

I miss Anders from Awakenings. I get why, from a character development standpoint, he changed so much. But still, I miss funny Anders.

spencermm on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I figured out my problem.

Somehow or another quest markers just stopped showing up.

So Merrill and Meredith's quests were working, I just had to look up where to talk in order to trigger them.

kedinik on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm a bit disappointed in Anders only because at first I got a bit of a
    Jolee Bindo vibe. Not the neutral thing, but the "everyone thinks X is bad, but I'm proof that it is not good or evil, it just is."

That didn't last. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Question regarding Act II, Sandal's
    special rune: does anyone know what the knockback chance bonus is? It isn't included in the description.

Torso Boy on
    edited March 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Jolee Bindo vibe. Not the neutral thing, but the "everyone thinks X is bad, but I'm proof that it is not good or evil, it just is."

That's what Merrill's for.
    "Blood magic isn't necessarily evil, and I'm neither evil nor a demon's slave for using it."

spencermm on
    edited March 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That's what Merrill's for.
    "Blood magic isn't necessarily evil, and I'm neither evil nor a demon's slave for using it."

Speaking of Merrill.
    Talk about genocide.

Her whole tribe was pretty stupid.

kedinik on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh for the love of

act 3 spoilers
    several times today I've learned of really good pieces of equipment only to discover they're in the Nathaniel quest I can't do because BUGS

jesus christ

is there like, a treasure trove hidden in it or what?

Elendil on
    edited March 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Speaking of Merrill.
    Talk about genocide.

Her whole tribe was pretty stupid.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed about that, but:
    If you choose the dialogue option "I'll take responsibility," they let you leave, and the clan acts like nothing ever happened, even if you bring Merrill back.

spencermm on
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    oh for the love of

act 3 spoilers
    several times today I've learned of really good pieces of equipment only to discover they're in the Nathaniel quest I can't do because BUGS

jesus christ

is there like, a treasure trove hidden in it or what?

Wow, I never even saw the nathaniel quest in my last run. I'll try and pick it up in my new snarky archer play.

envoy1 on
    edited March 2011

I miss Anders from Awakenings. I get why, from a character development standpoint, he changed so much. But still, I miss funny Anders.

Anders from Awakening wasn't gay, though. He only hit on your female party members. So they figured that while they were making him gay and already offending the homophobes in their audience, they might as well go whole hog and offend everyone else. It wasn't character development. They were consciously destroying everything you loved about Anders.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.