As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - Own DA2? Want a free copy of Mass Effect 2 on PC? Check the OP!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Compared to the other Bioware games I've played on the 360 (DA:O and Awakening, ME1 & ME2), it's been the buggiest by far.

edit: I haven't had that Varric/Isabela dialogue trigger yet. They're too busy with the innuendos.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ...you could fill the box with centipedes and it wouldn't be as buggy as Awakening.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man I gotta say: Act 2 was kind of a letdown.

Yeah some shit got rolling, but wow did they really depend on me caring about people I don't in any way care about for the climax.

I mean
    I haven't said word one to Isabela since she showed up. Kill her to appease the Qunari? Yeah! Sure! I mean, I barely remember meeting her 3 years ago, and she seems like a jerk.

is one example.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yeah some shit got rolling, but wow did they really depend on me caring about people I don't in any way care about for the climax.

I mean
    I haven't said word one to Isabela since she showed up. Kill her to appease the Qunari? Yeah! Sure! I mean, I barely remember meeting her 3 years ago, and she seems like a jerk.

is one example.
    That only happens if Isabela's friendship or rivalry is high enough, so I mean...you cared enough to keep talking to her and doing quests with/for her and giving her gifts etc etc

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic users aren't exactly hard to spot. Guy in robes and with a huge wooden staff? Yeah, probably a mage.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why do mages wear robes anyway.

Does magic not work unless you have a healthy breeze in your pantaloons?

Just put on some pants already.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    spencermmspencermm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic users aren't exactly hard to spot. Guy in robes and with a huge wooden staff? Yeah, probably a mage.

I've always wondered why an apostate mage trying to hide from the Templars would wear robes. That never made sense to me. Never really understood why mages wore robes anyway. Pants work fine for everyone else.

Although I liked Anders' explanation of the robes in Awakenings.

spencermm on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I guess whoever makes equipment finds magic-boosting lyrium easier to weave into dresses than forge into plate? Plus wearing dresses strengthens your resolve, if the willpower boosts are anything to go by.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I wonder if I could get Sandal to enchant some pants for me...

spencermm on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Why do mages wear robes anyway.

Does magic not work unless you have a healthy breeze in your pantaloons?

Just put on some pants already.

It makes it easier to, you know, before the templars find you if all you have to do is hike up your robes.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still don't understand why the simple shirt, pants and coat combo isn't more popular. Hell, if it's good enough for Harry Dresden...

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mages wear robes because the Strength requirement means they're too wussy to lift that oh-so-heavy armor, and the cunning requirement means they can't handle all the belts of rogue armor. Whereas the willpower requirement for robes means they can deal with the ridicule of wearing something so silly looking in public.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Mages wear robes because the Strength requirement means they're too wussy to lift that oh-so-heavy armor, and the cunning requirement means they can't handle all the belts of rogue armor. Whereas the willpower requirement for robes means they can deal with the ridicule of wearing something so silly looking in public.

That is as reasonable an answer as anyone has ever given to anything.

spencermm on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »

I mean

is one example.
    That only happens if Isabela's friendship or rivalry is high enough, so I mean...you cared enough to keep talking to her and doing quests with/for her and giving her gifts etc etc

Clicking on a shiny arrow a couple of times for money wasn't really the deep relationship they seemed to think it was.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    spencermm wrote: »
    Dartboy wrote: »

That is as reasonable an answer as anyone has ever given to anything.

My explanation is canon.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I still don't understand why the simple shirt, pants and coat combo isn't more popular. Hell, if it's good enough for Harry Dresden...

At one point in the game I killed some guy and got a bitchin' pirate outfit out of it. My mage ran around in that forever. I foreswore other armor just guys would see how awesome I was in my sweet jacket and pants and various pouches and so forth. Then I finally had to upgrade because my stats were really lacking, and my poor mage was running around in her silly robes again. Granted, she was a she, so I guess it was more acceptable, but still... it's pretty dumb.

The penchant for spellcasters in skirts is one trope I will not miss when it's gone.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I mean

is one example.

Clicking on a shiny arrow a couple of times for money wasn't really the deep relationship they seemed to think it was.

A character driven game revolves around the characters. Oh fucking no. It's not their fault you didn't like Isabela.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    guys its about bragging rights.
    get beaten by a guy in armor with a massive sword? you can probably boast about that.
    get owned by some dude in a dress?
    you'll be the laughing stock of your village.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    evilthecat wrote: »
    get beaten by a guy in armor with a massive sword? you can probably boast about that.

That would all be true, except you kinda left out the part about the dress dude burning you alive, inflicting you with horrific visions that left you in a gibbering heap, and then summoning a demon to skullfuck you.

The guy with the sharp stick in a tin can looks like a fucking pussycat by comparison.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Better question than "why do mages wear robes?" ...why are there so many vendors who sell mage gear?

I mean, if you're in the Circle, they supply you with your robes and such. There's a frickin' uniform. Wouldn't the Templars just hang out near Jean Luc's booth and wait for Apostates to purchases +5 Robes of Kickass™?

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Look, you guys keep trying to come up with explanations but they already gave one in Awakening.

Oghren: So... mage, huh? What's it like?
    Anders: To have all this power at my fingertips?
    Oghren: No. To always have to wear a skirt? (Laughs)
    Anders: Oh, you don't know the story behind the robes? You know how strict things are in the Circle, right? Of course you do. Well, the robes make quick trysts in the corner easy. No laces or buttons. You're done before the templars catch on.
    Oghren: Really?
    Anders: Just ask anyone.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    Look, you guys keep trying to come up with explanations but they already gave one in Awakening.

Anders: Oh, you don't know the story behind the robes? You know how strict things are in the Circle, right? Of course you do. Well, the robes make quick trysts in the corner easy. No laces or buttons. You're done before the templars catch on.

God, I miss comedic Anders.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can relate to not really caring about the companions. You barely get to talk to them and when you do, it's usually really short conversations.

I dunno, everything about the plot and the characters and the situations in this game so far just completely lack any emotional punch for me. Even times where I should be emotionally interested in what's going on end up feeling rushed and/or dull.

But the game is obviously fun enough to get me to keep playing, so yeah. I still feel really dissapointed in general.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I mean

is one example.

A character driven game revolves around the characters. Oh fucking no. It's not their fault you didn't like Isabela.

The thing is, some of the beats fall incredibly flat unless you've been walking around with a specific party. I had forgotten basically every aspect of the character and given her 1-2 gifts.

I guess quest completionism is a bad habit, but I feel like at least in DAO I knew we all hung out at camp. By that point in the story I hadn't seen her in about 10 hours.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

That only explains within the Circle. What about apostates, like, oh I don't know, HAWKE.

spencermm on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    spencermm wrote: »

That only explains within the Circle. What about apostates, like, oh I don't know, HAWKE.

That explanation is all-encompassing. Mages are naturally promiscuous.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011

That would all be true, except you kinda left out the part about the dress dude burning you alive, inflicting you with horrific visions that left you in a gibbering heap, and then summoning a demon to skullfuck you.

The guy with the sharp stick in a tin can looks like a fucking pussycat by comparison.

you have to think back to the very first mage-nonmage engagement.
    magic wasn't known back then.
    no one would believe you that a guy wearing a dress bested you by firing lighting out of his arse and fire from his fingertips.

the robe is a traditional garment!

evilthecat on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ...you could fill the box with centipedes and it wouldn't be as buggy as Awakening.

Maybe it's all patched now or something, but I didn't run into a single bug when I just did an Awakenings playthrough for DA2

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

Maybe it's all patched now or something, but I didn't run into a single bug when I just did an Awakenings playthrough for DA2

There is still a ton of them.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Apparently on my first playthrough, I never found all the Qunari swords in Act 3. During my second, I completed the quest and was awarded with a
    bow that the Qunari basically told me was my soul. I thought this was an awesome reward for the quest and really made sense. My question is... the thing was a bow.

Was that blind luck, or is it determined by your class/spec?

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Apparently on my first playthrough, I never found all the Qunari swords in Act 3. During my second, I completed the quest and was awarded with a
    bow that the Qunari basically told me was my soul. I thought this was an awesome reward for the quest and really made sense. My question is... the thing was a bow.

BS.
    you get an item called the bassrath-kata.
    warriors get a 2hander, rogues get a dagger and mages get a staff.

edit:
    Checked out the wikia, apparently archers are given a longbow. Why I got stiffed with a dagger is beyond me.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's based on your class and spec.

BS.
    Rogue Archers get a bow.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011

BS.

edit:
    Checked out the wikia, apparently archers are given a longbow. Why I got stiffed with a dagger is beyond me.

Did you not have many points invested into the Archery abilities?

It's not a bad bow, either. Absolution and the Jackal's Longbow are better all-around bows, but for straight-up killing mans, that thing rocks.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Why does the game lock up so much during the stupid high dragon fight?

Every playthrough, I have to try to fight it four or five times before the game decides it'll let me win. It's pretty infuriating.

But at least you get good armor for it, right? At least? That makes it worth it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I saw this setup digging through the official forums and kind of fell in love with it so I decided to revisit Act 3 with an eye for getting it (although not note for note... there's no way you can afford all that shit without cheating yourself up some cash).

I appear to have inadvertently turned my redheaded female rogue into Leliana.

I can't say no to those Chantry Robes though. I'm stylin'.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

BS.

edit:

Did you not have many points invested into the Archery abilities?

It's not a bad bow, either. Absolution and the Jackal's Longbow are better all-around bows, but for straight-up killing mans, that thing rocks.

i had zero points in archery. zero in dual wield.
    you'd think the game would use a kill count tracker to see "derp, he's killed stuff 100% of the time with a bow".

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No, I'd think it would give you rewards based on your talent selection. In your case, you didn't.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No, I'd think it would give you rewards based on your talent selection. In your case, you didn't.

in that case i shouldn't have gotten *any* reward, as i had no points in any weapon tree.
    troll harder!

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

in that case i shouldn't have gotten *any* reward, as i had no points in any weapon tree.
    troll harder!

No, you were a rogue. The default setup for a rogue is using daggers. If you weren't specced for anything, it would make sense to toss you the standard rogue weapon.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What element should I go with when I install runes into my weapons? Are some elements resisted less often than others or would I be better off with +physical/+critical runes instead.

Silpheed on
This discussion has been closed.