As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CSI: Ankh-Morpork

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
That's right
paul-kidby-the-night-watch.jpg
these guys

are coming to
old-tv-set-thumb206925-751667.jpg
“Sir Terry Pratchett and Rod Brown, managing director of Prime Focus Productions, have announced an agreement for the unprecedented and exclusive worldwide television rights to create brand new storylines for the iconic characters of Pratchett’s phenomenally successful Discworld series.

“Terry’s universal success has seen him create one of the leading fantasy fiction franchises of all time, with 70 million worldwide sales of his 38-book Discworld titles. This will rise to 39 following another book to be published in October 2011. While there have been three successful mini-series adaptations of his Discworld books made for television in the UK, this is the first time Pratchett has granted a production company the international rights to his characters and their world. The agreement will see Prime Focus Productions create a series of new stories exclusively for a television audience.

“The main focus of the series will be the bustling, highly mercantile, largely untrustworthy and vibrant city of Ankh-Morpork. It will follow the day-to-day activities of the men, women, trolls, dwarves, vampires and several other species who daily pound its ancient cobbles. This will of course also include Igor in the forensics department. Terry commonly refers to the City Watch police force series as ‘the jewels in his Discworld Crown’. These richly developed and highly compelling characters will feature in a ‘crime of the week’ episodic storyline. As each weekly adventure unfolds, viewers will be taken on a ride through Pratchett’s genius imagination, with the author overseeing the creation of the series. In this world, wild and exciting encounters with werewolves, dragons, dwarfs, trolls, golems and the classic heroes and villains are an everyday occurrence… many of whom even make outstanding crime fighters!

“‘I believe the globally successful Discworld franchise will readily translate to the small screen in the form of a high-end, mass appeal weekly drama series, giving the audience the anticipation and excitement of brand new Discworld stories every week through the medium of television, rather than books,’ said Rod Brown, managing director of Prime Focus Productions. ‘It’s a huge responsibility to get this right for Terry, his legions of Discworld fans and the new followers that we’ll attract along the way. I believe they’ll be in for a treat with a high calibre writing team already attached, including Monty Python’s Terry Jones and Gavin Scott (Small Soldiers, The Borrowers). We’ve already spoken to a number of international broadcasters who’ve shown early interest and we hope to move forward very quickly to bring this exciting project to fruition.”

“Sir Terry Pratchett said of the agreement: ‘I’m very excited and incredibly happy about this because Rod was co-head of the team that produced the very successful Sky One adaptations. My message of encouragement to him now is: don’t bugger it up!’”

HELL YES

Also Discworld thread I guess!

CYpGAPn.png
BlankZoe on

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a hard time picturing Vimes when I read the books

Pratchett himself has said he pictured Pete Postlethwaite but I have trouble seeing that
    Someone suggested Hugh Laurie and that kinda works but not quite

Also, Pratchett's coat of arms is badass

026-03.jpg

The motto means "Don't Fear the Reaper"

Grey Ghost on
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unless Pratchett is writing it, and it sounds like he's not, I'm really not interested.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Haven't the other various Discworld miniseries/movies been pretty good?

It's being written by the dude who did those.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    117730.jpg

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i tried reading the colour of magic and did not really like it

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »

He produced them. It was still Pratchett's stories. Editing an existing story for a miniseries (which I thought they did well) is different to writing something totally new using existing characters. I hope I'm wrong, I just don't see how anyone else is going to write the characters as well as the original author.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited March 2011
    Going Postal was pretty awesome

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Ubik wrote: »

It's usually regarded as his weakest one and he hadn't really nailed the style yet

Try the Death books, or the Night Watch ones

Grey Ghost on
    edited March 2011
    Small Gods is great too

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

He produced them. It was still Pratchett's stories. Editing an existing story for a miniseries (which I thought they did well) is different to writing something totally new using existing characters. I hope I'm wrong, I just don't see how anyone else is going to write the characters as well as the original author.
    Well I mean Pratchett is pretty ecstatic and he liked what they did with the previous stuff

plus Terry Jones and the dude who wrote Small Soldiers(which is pretty great).

It may not be as good as if Pratchett wrote it but I really doubt it would be bad after they have put out quality Discworld stuff already

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

read small gods or reaper man

PiptheFair on
    edited March 2011
    PiptheFair on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Carpe Jugulum was where I started and was a decent read.

Lords and Ladies might be better if you want a witch intro, though. Each of them seems to get their chance to shine in that one.

Love Night Watch so much.

Marshmallow on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I ought to explore more disc world stuff. This show sounds quite fun.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

It's usually regarded as his weakest one and he hadn't really nailed the style yet

Guards! Guards! was the first one I read and in retrospect it was a damn fine starting spot.

Slicer on
    edited March 2011
    If there is anything awaiting me after I die, I hope whatever leads me there is exactly like Pratchett's Death

Grey Ghost on
  • Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I started sorta picking and choosing random books that looked interesting but then I found this:

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg
    (linked for huge)

I just finished Light Fantastic, so I'm gonna probably do all of Rincewind. So far Small Gods and Reaper Man are my favorites, which seems to be about normal, so Death is the next ones.

Firematic. on
  • oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I enjoyed the adaptation of The Hogfather, in the way that I went in expecting dumbed-down eye-candy and got exactly that, but my complete collection of The Discworld Series including Art Of and the comics does allow this to pique my interest somewhat.

Unlike that Martin guy, Pratchett has already pretty much went, "welp, whatever happens, happens, zero promises." More power to him and his Alzheimer's.

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If there is anything awaiting me after I die, I hope whatever leads me there is exactly like Pratchett's Death

You'd better start training to be a wizard then.
    Doesn't Pratchett also have a sword he made buried somewhere in England because they didn't want to let him keep it, citing some weapons thing?

Firematic. on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love small gods

I'd consider getting a tattoo of Om I love it so much

Shabooty on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My favourite moment in any Discworld book... well I actually can't remember which one it was from, but it was one of the witches books. Anyway, Granny Weatherwax had been built up to be the most powerful witch in the world, but there hadn't really been any evidence of that. Smartest witch? Absolutely, no contest. But most powerful?

Then some guy goes screaming past her in a horse and carriage and comes an inch from running her down, and Granny just goes >:[ and shoots a bolt of lighting out of her hand and blasts one of the wheels off the carriage.

So awesome.

Butler on
    edited March 2011
    Firematic. wrote: »

You'd better start training to be a wizard then.
    Doesn't Pratchett also have a sword he made buried somewhere in England because they didn't want to let him keep it, citing some weapons thing?

He made one but I'm pretty sure I haven't heard anything about not being allowed to keep it

Grey Ghost on
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pratchett has Alzheimer's so if he has his hand in this, I expect it to be crazy as shit

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
    edited March 2011
    Butler wrote: »
    My favourite moment in any Discworld book... well I actually can't remember which one it was from, but it was one of the witches books. Anyway, Granny Weatherwax had been built up to be the most powerful witch in the world, but there hadn't really been any evidence of that. Smartest witch? Absolutely, no contest. But most powerful?

Then some guy goes screaming past her in a horse and carriage and comes an inch from running her down, and Granny just goes >:[ and shoots a bolt of lighting out of her hand and blasts one of the wheels off the carriage.

So awesome.

she may or may not be the most powerful

it's implied that maybe she is

she is, however, the most intimidating

she essentially bends magic to her will by scaring it

PiptheFair on
    edited March 2011
    Daric wrote: »
    Pratchett has Alzheimer's so if he has his hand in this, I expect it to be crazy as shit

he's still entirely cognizant, and has publicly stated that as soon as he thinks he's losing it, he'll kill himself

PiptheFair on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah it's a rare form he has that leaves your higher functions intact until the late stages of the disease.

You're probably right about her being the most powerful too, Pip. I remember Nanny Ogg explaining to someone that she (Nanny) actually had much more natural talent with magic than Granny, but Granny just made what talent she had work incredibly hard.

Butler on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah, he's a advocate for assisted suicide

Shabooty on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    People seem to avoid the Tiffany Aching books but I really like them. I really can't bring myself to enjoy reading about Granny Weatherwax being bullheaded very often, but I like Pratchett's witches, so Aching is a very enjoyable middle ground. Plus is has the Wee Free Men, who never fail to amuse.

But I definitely want another Moist von Lipwig book soon. Going Postal and Making Money were really excellent, and if I Shall Wear Midnight is any indication Pratchett still very much has it. Midnight got really dark in a few places though, which is unusual for him. His books always deal with pretty heavy stuff but it isn't often he's so blatant about it.

Especially for a series that's supposed to be for young adults, which I never entirely got since it isn't really any different content-wise from his supposed adult books.

Cilla Black on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I need to go pick up a copy of The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents sometime.

Read that one quite a while ago and remember it being pretty dark for a young adult book as well.

Marshmallow on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is this a thread for the sharing of stories where we acted kind of like those Nac Mac Feegle chappies?

One time I was helping out at a stable, where some friends of my mum keep their horses, and much though I don't like horses overly much I tried my hand at getting to know one of the larger beasts, at which point it promptly headbutted me.

As a Scotsman, I took this to be a challenge, and so grabbed it by both ears and headbutted it right back.

P.S. I think Pratchett's complaint about the sword is that he could be arrested for carrying it around, even though he's a knight, and how the hell is he meant to slay dragons and save maidens if he's not allowed his sword?

Fyndir on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am.. cautiously optimistic about this.

On the one hand. OH HOLY FUCKING SHIT! DISCOWORLD SHOW?! FUCK YES! HELL TO THE YES!

On the other hand.. the TV adaptation of "Going Postal" really really fucked it up. Like.. fucked it up VERY badly.

So..

I dunno..

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »

So awesome.

she may or may not be the most powerful

it's implied that maybe she is

she is, however, the most intimidating

she essentially bends magic to her will by scaring it

I fucking love

Granny Weatherwax

She is actually just as rad in the Tiffany Aching books despite featuring in them less

mensch-o-matic on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Slicer wrote: »

Guards! Guards! was the first one I read and in retrospect it was a damn fine starting spot.

Same here, it's still my favorite one.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My starting point was Wyrd Sisters. I was studying Macbeth in school at the time, so I appreciated the parody of it.

RMS Oceanic on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vimes is the best protagonist

Granny Weatherwax is the second best protagonist

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cautiously optimistic

Ivar on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DEATH is the best Tagonist.

He's not your friend, he's not your enemy, he's just there.
    SQUEAK.

RMS Oceanic on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a hard time picturing Vimes when I read the books

Pratchett himself has said he pictured Pete Postlethwaite but I have trouble seeing that
    Someone suggested Hugh Laurie and that kinda works but not quite

Also, Pratchett's coat of arms is badass

026-03.jpg

The motto means "Don't Fear the Reaper"

I always pictured him as Clint Eastwood

Ivar on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't actually picture Vimes, it has not occurred to me to see his face.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I've always pictured Pete Postlethwaite - I didn't know Pratchett did, too. That's fucking rad.

Poorochondriac on