As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hawken] Open Beta is now live

El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Games and Technology
Hawken!

Behold the videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm7gEDhrPfk

Update: 5/4/2011
G4TV "first look"preview with developer interview

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/52755/hawken-first-look-preview/?quality=hd

Marvel at the Official Blog!

http://www.hawkengame.com/blog/

Feast Upon the Visual Delights!

shot_01.jpg
shot_02.jpg
shot_03.jpg
shot_04.jpg

Latest News!

Update! Release date is 12.12.12! There's a closed beta coming and you can sign up now!

https://playhawken.com/

IGN interview with developers (3/31/2011)
PC Gamer Interview (3/11/2011)
Kotaku Interview (3/11/2011)

Discuss!

El Guaco on

• Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have the weirdest boner right now.

Lord_Mordja on
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game looks too good. I hope that they come up with some cool multiplayer modes and that I don't die before it comes out.

Jubeh on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Loved the visual style of the city they're setting it in, really gave me a nostalgia kick for cyberpunk. Simultaneously high tech and dilapidated.

subedii on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it's looks REALLY good for only 9 months of development. Indie games have come a long way.

El Guaco on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I too am digging the Akira/ghost in the shell 'futuristic slum full of advertisements everywhere' atmosphere. I like that inception fog horn sound for when the giant ship fly by that was also pretty rad.

Very atmospheric game and I hope the gameplay matches up and with any luck there will be a coop sort of mode. Those are always the best.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This looks great, yeah.

But honestly, I'd still prefer a new MechWarrior game. The old MechWarrior games were awesome, and you can't beat the BattleTech universe, it's just so deep and rich and layered.

Delta Assault on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This looks great, yeah.

But honestly, I'd still prefer a new MechWarrior game. The old MechWarrior games were awesome, and you can't beat the BattleTech universe, it's just so deep and rich and layered.

They are doing a new mechwarrior though. Well not these guys but it's being made.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This looks great, yeah.

They are doing a new mechwarrior though. Well not these guys but it's being made.

Haven't seen anything other than that CGI intro video, though. Nothing of gameplay. At this point, I really think it's just vaporware.

Delta Assault on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It pains me that this looks so freaking good, yet I have no interest in it because it's multiplayer.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Haven't seen anything other than that CGI intro video, though. Nothing of gameplay. At this point, I really think it's just vaporware.

I guess the studio working on it (Piranha) got contracted to help finish Duke Nukem Forever while they were in development. Looks like now that they're done with it they can start work back up on MW :D

http://www.bryanekman.com

But back on topic. Hawken is a day one purchase for me. Hell, I want into the beta. More mechs please.

Boogdud on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    this
    looks
    amazing

if they can deliver everything I just saw in that trailer, I will buy this game day one.

ObiFett on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was wondering when someone would start a thread about this. BTW, OP needs both the released vids, as well as a link to Adhesive games, some nice concept art there.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah

fix that op, op

ObiFett on
  • TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's been 10 years since MW4: Mercenaries came out or so right?

I've been yearning for a good mech combat game for a long time. Their blog says it wont have a single player aspect (so it sounds like they're going for a Monday Night Combat kind of model), but I have high hopes.

I just want these options:

1) Balanced 'mechs - I dont want to see laser boats or missile boats, etc.
    2) Customizable mechs - I want to be able to plug and play the armor, speed, weapons, ammo, etc
    3) Good netcode - I don't want to be lagshooting like in MW3 and MW4.

Tejs on
    edited March 2011
    The devs have stated that they are using some interesting methods to crank the horsepower and speed of the game, like re-using models. They said that actually created relatively few discrete models, they just use the same ones in original ways or in unobtrusive areas. You can supposedly even see weapon models as parts of the buildings.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looks good. But it looks like mechs have hps instead of per limb damage. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Bad for realism, good for fun factor. Losing a weapon really hinders you, but generally just means you're going to die quicker... but being able to deal and take tremendous amounts of damage is what being in a giant robot is all about.

Gonna sit on the fence on this one till I see more.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The sound and animation guys working on this game are amazing. Even if the gameplay somehow turns out to be shite, it will still look and sound sexy.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    this looks promising

been a while since i have been able to enjoy a mech game

hopefully this one does the trick

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited April 2011
    Aumni wrote: »
    The sound and animation guys working on this game are amazing. Even if the gameplay somehow turns out to be shite, it will still look and sound sexy.

On that note, the sound designer answering questions on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/gfamk/i_am_the_sound_designer_for_the_futuristic_mech/

subedii on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OP fixed. Took awhile because I couldn't get two contiguous page requests in a row with the forum server constantly shitting the bed.

El Guaco on
    edited April 2011
    There's only really one soundtrack that I can see myself playing this with.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50BtWQKxoPk

And the reference scene in case you never watched Stand Alone Complex (watch in fullscreen / HD etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T-N-Va762k&hd=1

subedii on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I will believe the new MechWarrior game isn't vaporware when we see some new material released beyond that initial video from a year and a half ago or whenever. I'd like to think they were just busy with Duke but I need to see something concrete.

Anyway, this certainly looks impressive for an indie game. Graphics are very good, sound is top-notch, and the one brief gameplay video already appears to be about ten times more fun than, say, Front Mission Evolved. I personally would hope to see some variation in settings but I'm guessing that the play style wouldn't work nearly as well without the peaks and valleys of the buildings. I note that the animations actually don't look as good in the trailer as they do in the gameplay video, although the trailer gives us a better up close third-person view of the mechs actually moving so maybe it's a more accurate representation.

Gaslight on
  • BasicBasic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game looks so fantastic. :D

Basic on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This really gives me a big Phantom Crash vibe. Which gives me a rather large boner. Because I really loved me some Phantom Crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG6ok9-nJR4

Drake on
    edited April 2011
    Phantom Crash was awesome. Loved the soundtrack too. I still own a copy for OG xbox.

Hiryu02 on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game appears more a stylization of a mech game than an actual mech game. That said, it looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

MindLib on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So we now have some more information on this.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158817p1.html
    >No auto-regen health. You gotta shutdown your mech in some dark corner and hope nobody spots you while you're fixing it.
    >No area-specific damage.
    >3 main types of mechs: Light, heavy, medium.
    >Customization includes Weapon loadout, and an upgrade system you can freely distribute a limited number of points in. (I guess like in the old Tony Hawk games?)
    >No stat-based gear. Everybody starts out with a bunch of available gear, and it's up to them to decide how to customize their mech.
    >Mechs will show more damage the closer they are to death. (Not included in the gameplay video, but they plan to add it)
    >"Unique team modes", which will require several "roles" of mechs to win.
    >There will be a focus on visual costumization of the mechs as well.

WANT. SO FUCKING BADLY. OH GOD.

Suriko on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That sounds pretty fucking fantastic.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Honestly I'd pay $10 just for what I saw in that trailer.

Kelor on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do we know what platform this is going to be for? I really, really want to play this game with a joystick. It looks fantastic, and I haven't had a chance to play a proper Mech game for years now.

Also, those features sound awesome. I love the idea of making Mech repair a tense endeavor, rather than an auto regenerating one. Though I am a little sad they won't be including area damage. Having systems fail and limbs removed in battle was always cool.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited April 2011
    PS3, 360 and PC I believe.

Though the way I saw it phrased sounded like it was primarily for PS3 and 360 with a PC port, which is disappointing. As long as you can set up servers for PC it should be okay though.

Kelor on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tejs wrote: »
    1) Balanced 'mechs - I dont want to see laser boats or missile boats, etc.
    2) Customizable mechs - I want to be able to plug and play the armor, speed, weapons, ammo, etc

You can't have 2 and 1, robust customization will always lead to min-maxing like in MW3/4 with laser/missile boats (4 handled this a bit better with ballistic/missile/laser weapon slots)

Hell, many of the official Battletech designs are laser/missile boats (Black Hawk, Yeoman, Viking just to name a few)

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really wish that spider mechs would be an option.

Mechs with 4 or more legs > mechs with 2 legs.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited April 2011
    Anti I love you man but you are blatantly wrong here.

Afterall everyone knows how many legs there are on a Timberwolf.

Kelor on
  • Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wish I could give these guys money. I NEED another mech game, its been like ten years people!

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kelor wrote: »
    Afterall everyone knows how many legs there are on a Warhammer.

Fixed that for you.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What the hell is this shit?! I'd almost forgotten what it was like to want a mech game and then this beautific creation pops up. The sound design alone is simply jaw-dropping and then those city designs look spectacular.

AAAAAGH, why couldn't you keep this to yourself!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So everything sounds cool about this game except, ah, your mobility. The mechs in those previews are too jumpy. I don't mind the speed boost thing, and being able to jump a bit; but flying around like that and shooting other people who are flying around is kinda silly to me. Guess I'll have to wait for the game to come out to really get a sense for that.

I'm definitely buying the game regardless. Mech games come out so infrequently that I'm pretty much obligated to at least try it out.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OH. MY. GAWD.

I want this now.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    This really gives me a big Phantom Crash vibe. Which gives me a rather large boner. Because I really loved me some Phantom Crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG6ok9-nJR4

Yes. Yes to both.

I loved Phantom Crash and this looks great. Man I loved Phantom Crash, I remember I would play it while listening to one of the thousands and thousands of songs you could buy. This song? It was a kicking techno song with constant monkey screeches throughout. Man I loved it.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln