As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me decide on where to go for a vacation

BrewBrew Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to take the missus on a vacation to somewhere nice, warm with beaches and pina coladas. We've never taken any vacations so this is a new experience and looking on-line there is a shit ton of places to choose from.

I'm leaning toward Mexico because of the relatively short distance. I would like an all-inclusive place because I don't to think about $6 every time I want a margarita at the bar.

Right now the choices are very overwhelming since a lot of places fit our criteria and everything looks great on paper. Of course, every place also has some bad reviews to go along with the bad ones and it's a bit hard to filter out what's just people bitching about unimportant stuff and what's actually worth heeding.

I would like to go at the end of April/beginning of May.

So. Tell me if you've ever been in Mexico on a few day vacations, what did you like and didn't like, what to look out for and anything else that I should know. Thanks :)

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
steam_sig.png
"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
Brew on

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't go anywhere on the Mexican border with the USA, no matter how awesome it sounds. Seriously.

Try Cozumel.

spool32 on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My friend just got back from Cabo San Lucas. He said it was fun, but there were a lot of drunk people.

I went to Mazatlan a LONG time ago. It was great. The only negative part about the trip was all of the people trying to sell you things, but you'll pretty much get that anywhere you visit in Mexico. I was walking on the beach and even had a guy try to sell me some drugs.

Oh, and nobody could swim in the ocean, because of the jellyfish infestation.

Slider on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can never go wrong with an all-inclusive 5-star hotel in Varadero.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would like an all-inclusive place because I don't to think about $6 every time I want a margarita at the bar.

Even all inclusive places are going to make you pay for alcohol. Mexico is great for 2 or 3 days at most. In places like Cozumel or Cancun, there is a strip/small area of bars/restaurants/hotels and if you wander outside of that your in Mexico. The bad not safe kind scary kind. Where people live in shanty's and wild dogs roam the streets. I am speaking from first hand experience because I have been there multiple times on cruise's.

For all inclusive vacations you cant get a better price than a cruise. 100-150$ per day gets you unlimited food, room and activities on the boat. If you must stay on land Florida has great beaches, Miami beach, Clearwater beach, Daytona/Cocco beach are all nice.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did a Carnival cruise years ago to Cozumel and Mazatlan. Got to do the usual tourist stuff with dolphins and sting rays, but also went to a beautiful beach and walked around some ruins in Mazatlan.

Probably would not do Carnival, but yeah, a cruise is a good deal if you don't mind being with groups.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Did a Carnival cruise years ago to Cozumel and Mazatlan. Got to do the usual tourist stuff with dolphins and sting rays, but also went to a beautiful beach and walked around some ruins in Mazatlan.

Probably would not do Carnival, but yeah, a cruise is a good deal if you don't mind being with groups.

Hey I'm just looking into cruises right now for myself and my girlfriend, I just had to ask, what's wrong with Carnival?

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Beren39 wrote: »

Hey I'm just looking into cruises right now for myself and my girlfriend, I just had to ask, what's wrong with Carnival?

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Nothing at all, I actually preferred it over Royal Caribbean. RC tried to nickel and dime me for everything while on the boat (upsells for dinner, charging for "premium" sandwiches and snacks after midnight) and there were less shops/bars open on the ship after like 11 or 12 PM. The club actually had people in it on Carnival, while RC was just dead for nightlife.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    finralfinral Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This may be way off what you are looking for, but have you thought about Thailand? If you can get a decent deal on plane tickets, everything is super cheap once you are there. Plenty of beaches and cheap drinks galore.

finral on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Nothing at all, I actually preferred it over Royal Caribbean. RC tried to nickel and dime me for everything while on the boat (upsells for dinner, charging for "premium" sandwiches and snacks after midnight) and there were less shops/bars open on the ship after like 11 or 12 PM. The club actually had people in it on Carnival, while RC was just dead for nightlife.

It was OK, it was mostly traveling with my family, which thankfully you wouldn't have to endure. There's been a couple of issues with both RC and Carnival over the last few years, but still a good deal to not worry about food or planning events or anything.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think everyone should come on this cruise http://www.lewisblackcomedycruise.com/ with me in November so I am not the youngest person this year.

Wife and I did this last year and it was a blast.

Sad to see John Pinett isn't signed up for this year because he absolutely destroyed everything last year in his path he was so funny and wild on stage and offstage. I have stories.

Basically it's a cruise where you can 100% avoid all the Royal Caribbean "fun" and watch two hour high quality comedy shows every night. Plus last year (the first year of the cruise) there was great extras such as George Carlin's daughter giving a retrospective of her father's life and hanging out with Cousin Larry from Perfect Strangers.

useless4 on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Lamu is supposed to be absurdly nice, although very occasionally swamped with Indian tourists (Mombasa usually draws them all away, but there's always a few going). You also might have trouble getting booze, as the Island is predominately Muslim. It's beautiful and cheap, though, and probably the most historically rich tropical islands. It's also incredibly safe.

It looks like this:
    kenya-lamu-town-316.jpg7ogid00z.jpglamu-beach.jpg?w=440&h=293

There's also always Gibraltar, which is a much shorter flight.
    IMG
    Of course, that's still pretty far. Looking at the UNESCO list for the Americas, I can see
    Santa Ana de Coro
    Campeche
    Veracruz
    Willemstad
    Baracoa
    Cartagena

Of course, I couldn't recommend many of the natural sites because I couldn't be sure if they were near resorts or places to stay, so I recommend keeping an eye on the UNESCO list when choosing between more rural locations.

Bagginses on