As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stargate Universe: Getting good just as it ends (Spoilers Ahoy)

Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourseRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Contains Spoilers Up The Latest Aired Episode

2i96rti.jpg
Nobody really reads OPs

The last thread got locked, and then there was one of those mysterious middle of a series breaks that certain countries I could name are so fond of.

SGUTVlogo.jpg
It's the only Sci-Fi on TV!

What is this?
It was an attempt to do something new and interesting with the Stargate franchise. And by "new and interesting" they meant make a series in the vein of Voyager or Battlestar Galactica. It didn't really work, but for the most part it's not bad, it's just not terribly cohesive and sometimes the characters act in remarkably strange ways for the sake of the plot. It's also cancelled, so it's just finishing up.

Stargate_Universe_Panel_Comic_Con_2009.jpg
The Crew

SGU-Destiny.jpg
The Ship

Alien-face1.png
The Occasional Alien

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
Mojo_Jojo on

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was just watching the latest episode and realised that for the few of us still watching, we could us a thread. So, I threw together a crappy OP and bam.

Were these episode made prior to the cancellation? Or can we expect an ending?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Prior. No ending coming.

Watching the remaining episodes for completionist's sake...you know, I actually thought the show was (finally) starting to improve in quality; quite enjoyed last week. Some time travel, good use of the gate, some believable character tension...and then they aired the latest episode.

I'm only 21 minutes in and it's been abysmal.
    Oh, the Lucian Alliance is threatening earth? We're all terrified. Um. I'm sorry. But I've never been able to buy them as a threat, despite trying to retcon them into one. As far as SG-1 is concerned, they're little more than angry CROP FARMERS.

And goodness, a naquadria bomb. Not sure how it's going to be resolved yet, but two things. How did they get Naquadria again, when it's supposed to be ultra-rare? And why haven't they beamed it into space by now? It wouldn't be the first time it's been done. *facepalm*

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, that's a shame then.

Still, it means that it makes some sense when they spend an episode trying to make unlikeable politics woman have some depth and try to answer some of the questions about whatshisface's backstory.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last three episodes have been fantastic; at least it gets to go out on a high note.
    They killed French Stewart!

Again? (I can't remember what became of him in the movie)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited March 2011
    Catalase wrote: »
    Prior. No ending coming.

Watching the remaining episodes for completionist's sake...you know, I actually thought the show was (finally) starting to improve in quality; quite enjoyed last week. Some time travel, good use of the gate, some believable character tension...and then they aired the latest episode.

I'm only 21 minutes in and it's been abysmal.
    Oh, the Lucian Alliance is threatening earth? We're all terrified. Um. I'm sorry. But I've never been able to buy them as a threat, despite trying to retcon them into one. As far as SG-1 is concerned, they're little more than angry CROP FARMERS.

And goodness, a naquadria bomb. Not sure how it's going to be resolved yet, but two things. How did they get Naquadria again, when it's supposed to be ultra-rare? And why haven't they beamed it into space by now? It wouldn't be the first time it's been done. *facepalm*

Ok, so you clearly know what that stuff is. I never watched SG:A or SG1 regularly.

Was it normal that
    the undamaged bomb apparently leaked lethal levels of radiation a fair distance away? I thought that was kind of silly; I just wrote it off as "SGU is sometimes silly," 'cause it is.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't watched the latest episode, but double rush was a pretty good I guess.
    I'm sick of Telford, so when he died I thought it was great, but they just put everything back to square 1 with him being on Earth. Stupid time travel. It let me down again.

I agree with catalase on the Lucian alliance. They have been annoying from the very first time I saw them up until now. They got plenty of muscle on the earth side of things, so why do I have to keep hearing about them.

tallgeeze on
    edited March 2011
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I haven't watched the latest episode, but double rush was a pretty good I guess.
    I'm sick of Telford, so when he died I thought it was great, but they just put everything back to square 1 with him being on Earth. Stupid time travel. It let me down again.

I agree with catalase on the Lucian alliance. They have been annoying from the very first time I saw them up until now. They got plenty of muscle on the earth side of things, so why do I have to keep hearing about them.
    I was hoping Future-Telford had swapped with Telford to get answers from Future-Rush, thus killing them both when he died.

Oh well :/

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited March 2011
    They should've just kept two Rushes. Little by little, he could have replaced the entire crew.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited March 2011
    Think of all the scruffy beards. Can the ship handle that much scruff?

tallgeeze on
    edited March 2011
    We would identify the Rushes by their facial hair. It would be a nightmare to film.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited March 2011
    Think of all the scruffy beards. Can the ship handle that much scruff?

Next stargate they encounter will be to a planet where disposable razors grow on trees whose sap doubles as shaving cream.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    What is this?
    It was an attempt to do something new and interesting with the Stargate franchise. And by "new and interesting" they meant make a series in the vein of Voyager or Battlestar Galactica. It didn't really work, but for the most part it's not bad, it's just not terribly cohesive and sometimes the characters act in remarkably strange ways for the sake of the plot. It's also cancelled, so it's just getting ready to leave us on yet another cliff hanger.

Seriously. Fuck you, SyFy.

Anyway, watching the aliens try to contact the home ship before the repairs were done was just dumb, dumb, dumb.

Also, I was a bit amused when I saw the team salvaging plants. Did their hydroponics lab get destroyed or something? Because I'm pretty sure they could grow more of those if they wanted to.

Schrodinger on
    edited March 2011
    Growing more plants requires time they don't have. In the last episode the ship better explode or dissolve into the space matrix they found.

tallgeeze on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I was hoping the whole crew had made it back just for the existential questions they would have to deal with. But no. These hacks don't have the stones to even keep one duplicate around.

Recovering the plants is not that bad an idea since they take a long time to mature. You could basically double your fresh food supply without having to wait months.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited March 2011
    That would have been pretty good, everybody makes it back to earth, except Rush who instead brings everybody back in time to make an alternate crew still on the ship. Then people could use the stones to switch with their own bodies, and whether they should come home at all would be a really difficult question.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I was hoping the whole crew had made it back just for the existential questions they would have to deal with. But no. These hacks don't have the stones to even keep one duplicate around.

Recovering the plants is not that bad an idea since they take a long time to mature. You could basically double your fresh food supply without having to wait months.

Futurama already answered why they had to die.
    Paradox Clones man. You can't have paradox clones running around being all paradoxical.

see317 on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crap, when did they start airing the 2nd half of season 2?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited March 2011
    March 7th? You're 3 episodes behind. It's on Monday now.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    March 7th? You're 3 episodes behind. It's on Monday now.

Dammit

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited March 2011
    That was a pretty neat episode.

Greer insisting that he didn't need any anesthetics for the bone marrow seemed like they were trying a bit too hard at making him seem awesome, but other than that, pretty neat.

Schrodinger on
    edited March 2011
    Schrodinger on
    edited March 2011
    That was an impressive episode. Two plots. Character development. Showing how they are improving their knowledge of the technology. A bit clumsy with the super happy ending but that is what the base level should have been.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sweet, I'm expecting this to be the best of the last ten episodes. :D

I'm guessing than those two who were downloaded won't be getting new bodies before the series is over, kinda feels like that would have been a series 3 thing.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That was an impressive episode. Two plots. Character development. Showing how they are improving their knowledge of the technology. A bit clumsy with the super happy ending but that is what the base level should have been.

Bringing back the two absurdly hot women who they weirdly killed off? A mistake?

You sir, are a goose.

electricitylikesme on
    edited March 2011

Bringing back the two absurdly hot women who they weirdly killed off? A mistake?

You sir, are a goose.

I said clumsy, not a mistake. And it was clumsy as hell. They are too hung up on everything being episodic. You can string plots through a few sequential episodes and as long as there's a decent narrative in each episode then nobody is going to freak out about it.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited March 2011
    It was nice to have one episode where everything worked out about as well as it could.

That is all.

Schrodinger on
    edited March 2011

You sir, are a goose.

I said clumsy, not a mistake. And it was clumsy as hell. They are too hung up on everything being episodic. You can string plots through a few sequential episodes and as long as there's a decent narrative in each episode then nobody is going to freak out about it.

Sure, they could have broken it up
    Do a Gan/Chloe episode, next episode start with Eli smooching on Gan, who becomes Amanda, who naturally freaks out, Eli thinks it's Chloe, awkward ensues, then we find out it's Amanda and we have an Amanda/Chloe episode. By episode 3 Scott is getting pretty childish and pissy about all these scruffy nerds smooching on his lady, we find out Chloe is still in there, and then we jump back to the second half of this episode and finally separate them. Throw some planetfalls in the episodes to flesh them out.

I would have liked that more, yes, but given that we're running out of road: I'm glad they crammed all that development into one good episode.

[e] Mechanical fiend! Let me edit my post!

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd say, that was the closest this show has come to a "classic" Stargate episode. Which makes me very, very sad they couldn't have done it sooner. 5 or 6 more of those in Season 1 and this show would still be going I think.

Mvrck on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    when's the new episode go up on Hulu? It's still saying Twin Destinies as it's latest one. Or was it? cause I thought that was last week's

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • jarekjarek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lanz wrote: »
    when's the new episode go up on Hulu? It's still saying Twin Destinies as it's latest one. Or was it? cause I thought that was last week's

The Hulu SGU page says "Availability: Episodes are available 30 days after airing on television." The first few episodes of a new "season" are usually put up a lot sooner -- probably in case folks weren't aware of the new episodes -- but usually after the first three or so they start following the stated delay.

So... probably around April 21. They did the same thing with the first half of season two; if it weren't for the fact that I can watch past episodes for free through my cable (with just a 24hr delay) I would have given up on this show long ago.

jarek on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just started watching Firefly recently, so I didnt notice this before and others have probably commented on it.

But they are really trying to make Chloe into River Tam, aint they?

Buttcleft on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I just started watching Firefly recently, so I didnt notice this before and others have probably commented on it.

But they are really trying to make Chloe into River Tam, aint they?

And yet she was somehow dumber than the girl whose brains had been scooped out with a spoon.

I still refuse to believe that the show wasn't supposed to be "incompetence, in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!" It was like a slightly more serious version of Venture Bros.

Bagginses on
    edited April 2011
    I liked the episode, but this neural hologram stuff should have been introduced way more often before hand. We all wanted to know what happened to that one guy who went in the chair, but they just made it that he has been a program all this time. If that's true he has been a goose because he hasn't helped the crew at all.

It was better to think that he was just a figment of Rush's mind when he showed up last time.

tallgeeze on
    edited April 2011
    It's too bad that the Amanda Perry hologram couldn't have been played by the dude who runs the IOA.

Schrodinger on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I liked the episode, but this neural hologram stuff should have been introduced way more often before hand. We all wanted to know what happened to that one guy who went in the chair, but they just made it that he has been a program all this time. If that's true he has been a goose because he hasn't helped the crew at all.

Then theres the whole messy thing about what happened to his body, Cause that just up and vanished.

Buttcleft on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also haven't they pretty much discovered, or at least, are closing in on, the secret to immortality at this point?

(Although at this point the SGC has done that several times).

electricitylikesme on
    edited April 2011
    Nope. This is old school ancient technology. Immortality is late school ancient technology.

Schrodinger on
    edited April 2011

It was better to think that he was just a figment of Rush's mind when he showed up last time.

I had entirely forgotten about him sitting in the chair and vanishing. Wasn't it also the guy with the kidney problems? I have a feeling I've forgotten a plot point here.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So far this sounds like stiff characters, over acting (from that scene you linked) and plot holes. Watched the first few episodes when it first came out and went lolz trying to hard and left. Is any of it worthwhile to go back and watch? I enjoyed SG:1, Atlantis and other shows on the network, are there any good points?

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nope. This is old school ancient technology. Immortality is late school ancient technology.

Clinical immortality is laughably trivial compared to a lot of the crazy shit they have. FTlL, force fields, artificial gravity, etc.? Repairing tissues of gerontological problems would be way simpler, and this is why the Asgard extinction problem was just a facepalm worthy plot to me. Cloning and downloading minds, what? Just repair what you've got, argh!

But yea even just within the SGC wouldn't shooting up tritonin, the serum that replicates the effect of having a symbiote within Jaffa, multiply your lifespan several fold? The stargate wiki says Teal'c was 162 after the 50 year aging nonsense episode and still looking good just starting to show gray hair. I seem to recall them saying often that Teal'c was 80 so +50 would be 130 but who cares.

A few rejuvenations within the goa'uld evil box wouldn't hurt either, we've seen from episodes that it would take many doses before you start going crazy.

Lanlaorn on