As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WWE All-Stars] King of the Ring, anyone?

redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
WWE-All-Stars-Logo.png

Crazy Bumps

WWE All-Stars is, to a lesser extent, the No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000 of today. There are 30 Superstars plus whatever DLC comes out. You can't forget about the create a wrestler mode either (which, I believe, you can have up to 15 of). While the match types are slim, the ones they have are plenty to keep us entertained for hours. The game is over the top and I think that is what makes it so enjoyable. It doesn't take itself seriously and the moves you can pull off are just ridiculous.

I actually consider this a fighting game more than anything. You CAN pin opponents, but typically you will get your opponent's health flashing red, hit your finisher, and K.O. them. You can also pull off combos of different types (air juggles?!). It all depends on what wrestler you choose.

There are four types of wrestlers:

-Acrobats can fling off the ropes and also boost off the opponents chest to the turnbuckle.
(Eddie Guerrero, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, John Morrison, Kofi Kingston, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Rey Mysterio, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, and Shawn Michaels)

-Big Man is hard to take down and can bounce the opponent in the air and knock them out of the ring with ease.
(Andre the Giant, Big Show, and Kane)

-Brawlers have charged up strikes and inflict more damage with their strong attacks.
(CM Punk, Drew McIntyre, Hulk Hogan, John Cena, Randy Orton, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, Sgt. Slaughter, Sheamus, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Ultimate Warrior, and Undertaker)

-Grapplers can chain together grapples and have chargable grapples.
(Bret "Hit Man" Hart, Edge, Jack Swagger, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Mr. Perfect, The Miz, and Triple H)

ROSTER
Legends
Ricky Steamboat
Andre The Giant
Hulk Hogan
The Ultimate Warrior
Bret Hart
The Rock
Randy Savage
Jake "The Snake" Roberts
Sgt. Slaughter
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper
Eddie Guerrero
Shawn Michaels
Jimmy Snuka
Mr. Perfect
"Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Superstars
John Cena
Randy Orton
Jack Swagger
Edge
Kane
Sheamus
The Big Show
Triple H
John Morrison
Rey Mysterio
Kofi Kingston
CM Punk
The Miz
Drew McIntyre
The Undertaker

Downloadable Content
Hawk
Animal
Dusty Rhodes
Cody Rhodes
Big Bossman
Chris Jericho
Jerry "The King" Lawler
Michael Hayes
Mark Henry
R-Truth
"The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase

WWE All-Stars Roster

MATCH TYPES

Standard
Triple Threat
Fatal 4-Way
Handicap
Tornado Tag Team
Steel Cage
Extreme Rules
Elimination

GAMEPLAY

Tips coming soon

UNLOCKABLES

Characters
(To unlock, beat that character's "Fantasy Warfare" match with said character)

Drew McIntyre
Eddie Guerrero
Edge
Jack Swagger
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
Kane
The Miz
Mr. Perfect
Sgt. Slaughter
Shawn Michaels

Alternate Outfits
(To unlock, beat any "Path of Champions" with said character)

2nd Alternate Outfit
(To unlock, beat any two "Path of Champions" with said character)

Andre the Giant
Hulk Hogan
John Cena
"Macho Man" Randy Savage
Rey Mysterio

Create A Superstar Entrance
(To unlock, win 10 matches in any game mode with said character)

Create A Superstar Finisher
(To unlock, use said finisher 10 times in any game mode)

Arenas
(To unlock, win 10 matches in any game mode with a created character)

SummerSlame Arena

(To unlock, beat any "Path of Champions" with a created character)

Classic SmackDown Arena

bYf6vNQ.png
Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
[3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
redfield85 on

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PENNNY ARCADE SUPERSTARS!

RAW

(forum handle) - (gamertag)

redfield85 - REDFIELD85
    remlap13 - remlap13
    CCF23 - CCF23
    PizzleStixx - PizzleStixx
    puffycow - Conscript85
    lpburk2 - lpburk2

SMACKDOWN

(forum handle) - (psn id)

Professor Snugglesworth - SOLDIER
    DaMoonRulz - Sweaty2501

I really hope we can get a nice group going here as Piz and I have run across silly geese online that bail when you hit a finisher on them and eliminate them first in a 4 way elimination match. What bitchy geese.

Anyway, I would love to get a FED going of some sort. Have a king of the ring event, have an IC and World title scene, and monthly PPV! Ha. Ideas are encouraged to be shared.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Funny enough, I received a copy of this today without warning. It was a pleasant surprise, as I was becoming interested in it.

So I guess you can put me down as the first (only?) PS3 owner. :)

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited April 2011
    Sure! What is your PSN ID?

I really hope there are people that are interested in this game. It is so much fun. It really does bring back those No Mercy memories.

If you find out how to chain grapples together as a Grappler, please let me know. I have seen it done, but have no clue how.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No Daniel Bryan Danielson?

Bastards.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Put me down as the second PS3 user.

Damoonrulz - Sweaty2501

I can't wait for the DLC to come out so I can play as Duhh-tay Rhodes!

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This looks awesome and listening to the guys on the Giant Bombcast talk about it got me really excited

I've got the demo, now I just need to sit down and play it

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2011
    You 360 guys are lucky I'm on the PS3 or you'd be getting Flying Elbow Drops all up ins

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited April 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Sure! What is your PSN ID?

SOLDIER. But for those who want to add me, please state in the message you're from PA. I continue to get spam invites every single day without fail and with no way to get rid of it. :(

Also, to keep the thread interesting (and because I request it), I insist we post hilarious wrestling-related videos.

My contribution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yc9FXJT8HE

edited April 2011
    I'd probably get in trouble for posting every Botchamania ever

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The demo doesn't excite me, but I also haven't gotten a feel for the game yet. I think the problem is I am still thinking of it as a wrestling game, and I need to move my mindset to this being basically Super Smash Shamus Brawl.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Great game. Macho Man forever!

Algertman on
  • PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Super Smash Shamus Brawl.

I just spit up my Cheerios all over my screen :lol:

The game is pretty awesome and addicting once you get the hang of it. I honestly can't wait for the Million Dollar Man, since EVERYBODY HAS A PRICE HAHAHAHAHAHAHA *coughhackcough*.

Here is my contribution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwzjPb36p6M

PizzleStixx on
    PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No Mercy and similar games were incredible long ago. I got to play this and it's such a great throw back.

I'll add a Big Poppa Pump math lesson to the video mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EarU--5cYOE

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't wait to get this game.

I know that the guys who did this did the TNA IMPACT! game, so question: Are there actual legit entrances for the wrestlers, or are they just shortened up to "they come out, pose at the ramp once, then the entrance is done" like in IMPACT!?

Sweeney Tom on
  • estrada42estrada42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Super Smash Shamus Brawl.

I just spit up my Cheerios all over my screen :lol:

The game is pretty awesome and addicting once you get the hang of it. I honestly can't wait for the Million Dollar Man, since EVERYBODY HAS A PRICE HAHAHAHAHAHAHA *coughhackcough*.

Here is my contribution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwzjPb36p6M

The best part of that whole clip is Good Ol' J.R. "Milk-o-mania is running wild!"

estrada42 on
    edited April 2011

I know that the guys who did this did the TNA IMPACT! game, so question: Are there actual legit entrances for the wrestlers, or are they just shortened up to "they come out, pose at the ramp once, then the entrance is done" like in IMPACT!?

They are just like that. When you play online, there are no entrances.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2011
    Is Kurt Angle in this game?

It is a must buy if the answer is yes

UnbreakableVow on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    According to the roster in the OP, no. He is not.
    redfield85 wrote: »

They are just like that. When you play online, there are no entrances.

That's dumb.

Sweeney Tom on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I saw this being played the other night on a stream, and it looked kinda fun.

would it still be fun if you don't know jack shit about wrestling?

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game is great, I'm really digging it. Thanks for making a thread, redfield85, I was hoping people would start talking about it.

The strategy guide for this isn't too bad, but it feels like they might have left some tutorial/training material out of the game itself in order to sell it. Fortunately someone at Shoryuken is doing good character write-ups (lots of other good info there, too):

http://shoryuken.com/f2/official-wwe-all-stars-thread-strats-chat-player-lists-270148/

Put me down for Smackdown with PSN ID "NightStartMugen".

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I saw this being played the other night on a stream, and it looked kinda fun.

would it still be fun if you don't know jack shit about wrestling?
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any kind of background/fandom for wrestling, but I'm nowhere near a die hard either (and knowledge wise I'm probably in the same boat as you). I like fighting games above all else as a genre, and so far this game seems very appealing on that level. Check out the SRK thread I linked above to get a better idea of the things you can do, and it'll start to become clear that this isn't typical wrestling fare.

There's a demo on PS3 and 360. It's not the best introduction to the game since you can only play as Ultimate Warrior and Rey Mysterio, which only covers two of the classes you'll find in game. But try it out with a friend and I think you'll start to appreciate what the game is all about. There's also a demo strategy guide to help you out:

http://caws.ws/wweallstars/?p=477

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited April 2011
    No Kurt Angle. Probably because he is in TNA.

To be honest, I don't care about entrances anymore.

And I think it could be fun for someone that just wants to beat up on people.

I just had my friend play this and after two matches he downloaded the Amazon.com app for his phone and bought the game. This was after him saying he was gonna wait until it was $40 and after he got Mortal Kombat and Portal.

And yea, definitely use caws.ws for their created wrestlers. I created my own original wrestler. I do want to make Psycho Sid though.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2011
    Wasn't crazy about this demo at all

It's definitely an improvement over Smackdown vs. Raw, and I really like the accessibility of the moves and the zany, over-the-top nature of the game, but control still feels way too sluggish.

The last wrestling games I enjoyed were SmackDown 1 and 2 on the PS1. I loved all the controls felt really responsive and it never felt like the characters were moving through molasses, then they made the switch to PS2 and everything went to hell.

Also the demo has Ultimate Warrior, who has always been lame beyond fucking belief, and Rey Mysterio Jr., who I haven't seen since his WCW days. I'm surprised they didn't throw someone more iconic in the demo, like Macho Man.

EDIT: Also my definite favorite thing about this is the match ending as soon as you do your finisher. I may end up buying it when it's budget-priced just to play some Sweet Chin Music

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2011
    Seriously, at least rent it. My friend wasn't thrilled with the demo because of Mysterio and Warrior, then he played the full game tonight with me before Wrestlemania. He was fucking laughing hysterically and immediately ordered it.

Guys, if you get the game and make your own Superstar, tell me their name (just one...your main guy) and your name for their finisher. I will put it in the OP or whatever.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2011
    I might play again as Rey Mysterio

The thought of beating the shit out of the Ultimate Warrior is highly appealing to me, as in real life he is probably one of the biggest douchebags I've ever seen on this planet

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2011
    I might play again as Rey Mysterio

The thought of beating the shit out of the Ultimate Warrior is highly appealing to me, as in real life he is probably one of the biggest douchebags I've ever seen on this planet

A couple of things to make the game fun.

1.) Run at Warrior and tap strong attack (Y) when you get near him. You should jump off his chest to the turnbuckle.

2.) Run at the ropes and hit a face button (before bouncing off them) and you will springboard off the ropes and do a move.

I think that is mainly it for acrobats. You can also dive out of the ring with run + strong grapple and stand and dive out with hitting weak grapple next the ropes. Oh, and I think acrobats can jump back and attack into the ring with a weak grapple next to the apron.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Demo didn't exactly impress me. But I think if I can play as Shawn Michaels, I might enjoy it a bit more.

Funny thing about the demo is how they play music for wrestlers who aren't even in said demo. I was expecting Big Show and CM Punk in there...

I was hoping to get a copy of this for review, but I get the feeling THQ isn't going to send me one. As a result, no idea when I'm getting this.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited April 2011
    Hey Snugglesworth: do you play online much, and is there an online tag team mode?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited April 2011
    Haven't tried the online yet, but yeah there's a tag-team mode I think.

Right now I'm getting the hang of countering grabs. Seems if you push L1 too soon or too late, it won't work. Has to be right on the money.

Also, does anyone else think Ultimate Warrior looks like a shaven Blanka?

• GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OK, now I'm starting to get the feel. I love Warrior's running-strong strike flying shoulder tackle, just like the old arcade game Wrestlefest. I can't wrap my head around the countering system but when I randomly pull one off it's awesome.

Shit...I might just have to buy this after all.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can anyone break down the create a wrestler mode? How crazy can you get with it? How many appearance and moves can you customize and choose from?

DietarySupplement on
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am said friend. If anyone gets it for Xbox and plays with us just prepare to lose every time because I am amazing.
    Can anyone break down the create a wrestler mode? How crazy can you get with it? How many appearance and moves can you customize and choose from?

Sadly, not very. You can customize your appearance a fair bit but the actually wrestling moves are very limited. You get to choose an existing wrestler's moveset and then you can choose a finisher (as long as you unlocked it). That is it. That is really the only disappointment I have with this game so far.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is there a command list anywhere in this game so I figure out what type of signature moves each fighter has?

Algertman on
    edited April 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    Is there a command list anywhere in this game so I figure out what type of signature moves each fighter has?

All credit for this list goes to Sam8madness at the Caws.ws forums.
    QS= quick strike
    QG= quick grab
    SS= Strong Strike
    SG= Strong Grab

ANDRE THE GIANT
    scoop slam toss: QS+QG
    jumping head scissors: Away+SS+SG
    Step on chest: SS+SG
    Coner butt slam: QS+WG or SS+SG opponent must be slumped in corner

Finisher: Lifting Head Butt

BIG SHOW
    cobra clutch backbreaker: QS+QG
    Show Stopper: away +QS+QG
    reverse powerbomb: SS+SG
    chest slap: away+SS+SG

Finisher: KO Punch

BRET HART
    spike piledriver: QS+QG
    running bulldog: SS+SG
    snap mare to sleeper: away+QS+QG
    back body drop: away+SS+SG

finisher: Sharpshooter

CM PUNK
    straight edge clothesline: QS+QG
    Punch kick combo:SS+SG
    punch knee bulldog: QS+QG opponent must be in a slumped state in corner
    step up enziguri: away+SS+SG

finisher: GO TO SLEEP

DREW McINTYRE
    mounted punches and head butt: QS+QG
    scot drop: SS+SG
    inverted alabama slam: away+QS+QG
    tilt a whirl: away+SS+SG

Finisher: future shock

EDDIE GUERRERO
    three amigos: QS+QG
    mexican head scissors: SS+SG
    Gory Special: away+QS+QG
    Lasso from el paso: away+SS+SG

finisher: Frog splash

EDGE
    edgecution: QS+QG
    edge-o-matic: SS+SG
    spinning wheel kick: Away+QS+QG
    electric chair face buster: away+SS+SG

finisher: Spear

HULK HOGAN
    scoop powerslam: QS+QG
    backbreaker: SS+SG
    atomic knee drop: away+QS+QG
    jumping leg drop: running+SS+SG opponent on ground

finisher: Jumping leg drop, yep hogan has his finisher as a sig....

JACK SWAGGER
    double leg takedown: QS+QG
    side belly to belly slam: SS+SG
    corner slingshot splash: away+QS+QG
    oklahoma stampede: away+SS+SG

Finisher : Ankle lock

JAKE ROBERTS
    short arm clothesline: QS+QG
    inverted atomic drop: SS+SG
    gut wrench gut buster: away+QS+QG
    knee lift: away+SS+SG

Finisher: DDT

JIMMY SUPERFLY SNUKA
    punch uppercut backchop combo: QS+QG
    headlock punch: SS+SG
    jumping snuka headbutt: away +QS+QG
    diving cross body: QS+QG from top turnbuckle

Finisher: Superfly Splash

JOHN CENA
    side slam: QS+QG
    Delayed suplex: SS+SG
    5 knuckle shuffle: QS+QG near the head of grounded opponent
    air leg drop: QS+QG or SS+SG from top turnbuckle
    STF: SS+SG at the feet of a downed opponent.

Finisher: AA

JOHN MORRISON
    moonlight drive: QS+QG
    capoeira kick: away+SS+SG
    tornado DDT: SS+SG
    rope spring roundhouse kick: running+QS+QG must be near ropes

finisher: Starship Pain

KANE
    falling powerbomb: QS+QG
    gorilla press powerslam: away+SS+SG
    tombstone: SS+SG
    Diving Clothesline: QS+QG or SS+SG from top turnbuckle

finisher: Chokeslam

KOFI KINGSTON:
    trouble in paradise: QS+QG or SS+SG
    Diving cross body: QS+QG from top turnbuckle
    koronco buster: QS+QG opponent must be in corner
    boom drop: SS+SG near head of grounded opponent

FINISHER: SOS

THE MIZ
    shoulder jawbreaker: QS+QG
    reality check: SS+SG
    rope neck snap: away+QS+QG
    leaping corner clothesline: SS+SG opponent must be in corner

Finisher: Skull crushing finale

MR PERFECT
    double snap mare: QS+QG
    missle drop kick: QS+QG from top turnbuckle
    groin leg drop: away+QS+QG
    spinning toe hold: SS+SG

finisher: perfect plex

RANDY ORTON
    running punt: QS+QG
    orton stomp: SS+SG
    inverted headlock backbreaker: away+QS+QG
    rope hung ddt: away+SS+SG

finisher: RKO

MACHO MAN
    atomic drop: QS+QG or SS+SG
    jumping knee drop: running+QS+QG
    double axe handle: QS+QG from top turnbuckle
    running sitout lariat: running+SS+SG

finisher: Flying elbow drop

REY MYSTERIO
    mysterio rana: QS+QG
    angel splash miss: QS+QG from top turnbuckle
    wheel barrow bulldog: SS+SG
    seated senton: SS+SG from top turnbuckle

finisher: 619

RICKY STEAMBOAT
    arm drag toss: QS+QG
    atomic electric chair: SS+SG
    spin chop: QS+QG or SS+SG opponent must be knocked down
    wrest lock lift slam: away+SS+SG

finisher: top rope karate chop

THE ROCK
    back slam: QS+QG
    spinebuster: away+QS+QG
    peoples elbow: QS+QG opponent must be knocked down
    swingin neckbreaker: SS+SG
    Belly 2 belly suplex: away+SS+SG

yep, he's got 5
    Finisher: ROCK BOTTOM

RODDY PIPER
    airplane spin: QS+QG
    haymaker: SS+SG
    atomic drop kick: away+QS+QG
    punch flurry: away+SS+SG

finisher: Sleeper hold

SHAWN MICHAELS
    teardrop suplex: QS+SS or QS+QG
    figure four: SS+SG
    Front flip elbow: QS+QG or SS+SG from top turnbuckle
    Flying forearm kip up: running+SS+SG or running+QS+QG
    Sweet Chin Music: QS, QS, QS, QS+QG

finisher: sweet chin music

SGT SLAUGHTER
    inverted suplex slam: QS+QG
    Gutbuster: SS+SG
    punch combo: away+QS+QG
    slaughter cannon: QS+QG or SS+SG from top turnbuckle

finisher: Cobra Clutch

SHEAMUS
    double axe handle: QS+QG
    fiery red hand: away+SS+SG
    irish curse: SS+SG
    pump kick: running+QS+QG or running+SS+SG

finisher: High cross

STONE COLD
    inverted suplex slam: QS+QG
    mudhole stomp: QS+QG or SS+SG opponent must be slumped in corner
    stun gun: SS+SG
    lou thesz press: running+QS+QG or running+SS+SG

finisher: Stone cold stunner

TRIPLE H
    spinning spinebuster: QS+QG
    Kneeling facebuster: running+SS+SG
    falling neck breaker: SS+SG
    jumping knee strike: running+QS+QG

Finisher: Pedigree

UNDERTAKER
    chokeslam: QS+QG
    last ride: SS+SG
    old school QS+QG or SS+SG opponent must be slumped in corner
    running lariat: running+QS+QG or running+SS+SG

finisher: Tombstone

ULTIMATE WARRIOR
    choke lift toss: QS+QG or SS+SG
    450 splash: SS+SG from top turnbuckle
    360 double axe handle: QS+QG from top turnbuckle
    Flying shoulder block: running+QS+QG or running +SS+SG

finisher: Gorilla Press Slam

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How is the create a wrestler? I'm hearing it's pretty limited. I'm going to pick this up, but only if the create-a-wrestler is sufficiently deep.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played this game at a MvC3 event. I was not impressed and am still wondering how folks can call it a fighting game.

It's basically Smackdown with slower strikes, more opportunities to reverse grapples, with a lifebar added. The timing is reminiscent of Fire Pro Wrestling, but certain things give way too much frame advantage and the game isn't exactly balanced. Acrobats can do quite a lot of damage with grapples that give them free turnbuckle moves, but no one at the tournament could deal with Big Show and his stomps. Slam and heavy attack stomp. They'll either block and stagger or they'll fly in the air for a free air grapple into another stomp. That air grapple takes one half of a lifebar in damage. It's pretty ridiculous.

Create a Wrestler isn't too in-depth move wise. You pick a pre-set moveset that is a copy of one of the regular wrestlers, and you can pick a finisher. You have to unlock finishers for CaW by using the finisher 10 times in any mode. There are quite a lot of sliders for face and body, so you can make a fat guy with a huge beard, but they'll still look muscular anyways. Clothing options seem pretty limited as well.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited April 2011
    B:L wrote: »
    I played this game at a MvC3 event. I was not impressed and am still wondering how folks can call it a fighting game.

It's basically Smackdown with slower strikes, more opportunities to reverse grapples, with a lifebar added. The timing is reminiscent of Fire Pro Wrestling, but certain things give way too much frame advantage and the game isn't exactly balanced. Acrobats can do quite a lot of damage with grapples that give them free turnbuckle moves, but no one at the tournament could deal with Big Show and his stomps. Slam and heavy attack stomp. They'll either block and stagger or they'll fly in the air for a free air grapple into another stomp. That air grapple takes one half of a lifebar in damage. It's pretty ridiculous.

Create a Wrestler isn't too in-depth move wise. You pick a pre-set moveset that is a copy of one of the regular wrestlers, and you can pick a finisher. You have to unlock finishers for CaW by using the finisher 10 times in any mode. There are quite a lot of sliders for face and body, so you can make a fat guy with a huge beard, but they'll still look muscular anyways. Clothing options seem pretty limited as well.

You can just leave the ring when someone is on the top rope. You can't get hit when you are in the "leaving the ring" animation. You can also time your reversal or run at them and strike while they are climbing/on the turnbuckle. Acrobats have to run at you and hit strong attack to even be able to jump off of you and go to the top rope.

And while Big show can be a pain, his strikes seem slow enough that you can get in a weak grapple or strike to cancel him out. If you get put on the floor for his bounce you up stomp, well, that is your own fault. Complaining that a Big Man is dishing out too much damage with his attacks is like saying Grapplers shouldn't be able to chain grapples together or Acrobats shouldn't be able to fly around the ring. It is just a little ridiculous since THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE MEANT TO DO.

As for CAW, yea, it isn't in-depth at all. I actually like that they didn't give much freedom with movesets besides picking one and a finisher. That cuts down on me being completely swamped in that mode (I ALWAYS spend more time creating than playing in other games, so this is a nice change of pace). The rest of the CAW stuff is good enough to make some original edits or real life wrestlers.

This game might seem like Smackdown, but it is more in the vain of No Mercy.

If you play with the right people (aka Penny Arcade), you will have a blast with this game. If you play randoms online, well, I expect you to bitch because they people are d-bags.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I agree that it is more like No Mercy was, but I disagree that I am glad it is limited. I would much rather of had the option to copy someone's move set OR create my own. I never take long customizing a look but any personal CAW I made I love picking the moves myself.

Overall I couldn't stop laughing and enjoying myself while playing with some PA folks.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have never ever wanted a wrestling game, infact ive never ever seen a wrestling match( i was close this christmas i think ,but after 30 minutes of big men yelling in mics and a angry little girl getting a trophy, i changed the channel) But this game looked so damn fun in the GB TNT, i might pick it up once im done with my exams.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
    edited April 2011
    I'm glad they stuck with pre-set moves for CaW, because otherwise I'm sure people would have found ways to exploit the moves to create infinite chains and other ridiculous things.

Has anyone played the Tornado Tag match on Multiplayer? I was hoping it would be one person per wrestler, but I get the feeling it isn't. I wanted to make a Tag Team with CaW

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg